• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Sendou

Damn, my Stahl is a monster at this point. He just now hit Paladin on chapter 17.

Unless I bring my shittiest of shit characters, no one ever gets hit. The enemy hit percentages are absurdly low. What the hell is this?

This is on Normal

How much have you spent time fighting SpotPass characters and Risens outside of story missions? The game gets easy really quick if you dedicate some time doing so. Especially if you play on normal.

Zaventem

Damn, my Stahl is a monster at this point. He just now hit Paladin on chapter 17.

Unless I bring my shittiest of shit characters, no one ever gets hit. The enemy hit percentages are absurdly low. What the hell is this?

This is on Normal
TBH Normal is no threat at all. The word "Hard" in a fire emblem game is deceiving. It's for those that want a challenge without going overboard with bullshit. Compared to Sword of Seals regular difficulty this is nothing.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
The paralogues in this game are just too damn hard. Inigo's mission is just impossible at this point even though most of my units are prmoted and at lvl 5-6.

So do the paralogues scale up with my squad or should I just try them later

How much have you spent time fighting SpotPass characters and Risens outside of story missions? The game gets easy really quick if you dedicate some time doing so. Especially if you play on normal.

I did all the sidequests as they came up and used Reeking Boxes to have my party roughly the same level until around chapter 8. Also, I got the EXP DLC (to use on Lunatic at some point) and levelled up Olivia so she could become a Pegasus Knight.

I didn't want to bum rush through the story. I'm guessing that's the type of person Normal was designed for

Anteo

The paralogues in this game are just too damn hard. Inigo's mission is just impossible at this point even though most of my units are prmoted and at lvl 5-6.

The paralogues appear out of order, so is possible to access some of them way too early in the game. Also the Kid stats depend on the parent stats so if you train the parents more, the kid will have a easier time.

Sendou

Paralogues don't scale and they stay there until you complete them. Inigo one is especially hard. As a rule of thumb the earlier you got the mother in the game the easier her child's paralogue is. IIRC Olivia is the last potential mother (with unique child) you get in the game so there's that.

Draxal

Paralogues don't scale and they stay there until you complete them. Inigo one is especially hard. As a rule of thumb the earlier you got the mother in the game the easier her child's paralogue is. IIRC Olivia is the last potential mother (with unique child) you get in the game so there's that.

Cherche is; (Gerome's stage is pretty hard).

On my first playthrough on Hard Classic and I'm just stuck on Chapter 5. Donnel keeps getting killed whenever I try the side story(guess I should pair him up with Kellem or Frederick). Can't beat the spotpass team either. Random Risens that appear on the map are too strong as well. No idea what units I should use. Getting really tired of pressing L+R+Start.

Sendou

Donnel keeps getting killed whenever I try the side story.

Donnel is really weak in that chapter. Your best bet is trying to serve him sure kills, just enough to have him level up. You could try forging him a stronger Bronce Lance. Pairing up him could also work. Absolutely don't expect him to take hits from any enemy.

McNum

On my first playthrough on Hard Classic and I'm just stuck on Chapter 5. Donnel keeps getting killed whenever I try the side story(guess I should pair him up with Kellem or Frederick). Can't beat the spotpass team either. Random Risens that appear on the map are too strong as well. No idea what units I should use. Getting really tired of pressing L+R+Start.
There are enemy archers on that map. Be a jerk.

By which I mean surround an archer so it can't move and have Donnel poke it with his spear until it dies. Since archers can't attack in melee, and you have units standing on the immediate squares north, south, east, and west of it, it's harmless. Poke it to death. That should be worth a good 50 EXP for Donnel, and there's more than one archer there.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member

Yup. That's why I switched to hard casual, which is pretty hard to begin with. I'm planning to do a second playthrough on normal classic, now that I've gotten a hang of this SRPG thing. And then if I'm not through with it, a go on hard classic.

I had basically given up on JRPGs a few years ago. It feels good to try one again after all these years. So, is this a return to JRPGs for anyone else here?

Jinroh

Just started the game, and I find that permanent death system really stupid. I thought that at least my characters would temporarily get incapacitated before dying like in FF Tactics, but no. Instant perma death. It's just not fun at all.

Draxal

Just started the game, and I find that permanent death system really stupid. I thought that at least my characters would temporarily get incapacitated before dying like in FF Tactics, but no. Instant perma death. It's just not fun at all.

Then just play it on casual or newcomer (depending on region).

That's why Awakening has the mode without permadeath

Jinroh

Yeah but I want to play the game as the devs intended it to be played. Maybe you are kinda supposed to lose some characters while welcoming new ones, I don't know. But I find that system frustrating and I don't feel like cheating.

Deaths seem much more random than in FF Tactics. In tactics you can only blame yourself if you are in a bad situation and let a character die. You can also level up and come back later. It doesn't seem to be possible in fire emblem.

Should I really start a new game on casual or is it really doable not to lose any characters on hard?

Yeah but I want to play the game as the devs intended it to be played. Maybe you are kinda supposed to lose some characters while welcoming new ones, I don't know. But I find that system frustrating and I don't feel like cheating.

Deaths seem much more random than in FF Tactics. In tactics you can only blame yourself if you are in a bad situation and let a character die. You can also level up and come back later. It doesn't seem to be possible in fire emblem.

Should I really start a new game on casual or is it really doable not to lose any characters on hard?

The devs themselves don't even agree on how it's supposed to be played. Some keep going after deaths, others restart. Just do whatever will maximize your enjoyment. If they didn't intend for people to do casual mode, they wouldn't have introduced it (and kept it for two entries).

Anteo

I really don't see how deaths are random early in the game. You let a charater open for a attack, your fault. You are taking risks with those low% criticals, is still a risk and you should know it. Later in the game you could say random reinforcements could wreck your game, but even then there are ways to plan for that.

There are enemy archers on that map. Be a jerk.

By which I mean surround an archer so it can't move and have Donnel poke it with his spear until it dies. Since archers can't attack in melee, and you have units standing on the immediate squares north, south, east, and west of it, it's harmless. Poke it to death. That should be worth a good 50 EXP for Donnel, and there's more than one archer there.
The one in the north west corner (by the treasure chest) will only move when you are in range. Frederick/Donny pair up with Frederick as lead can stand just out of the range then run in and switch to Donny.

Wilsongt

I'm amazed that your Olivia can tank hits.

Tank and dodge like a pro.

Her husband is Donny. Residual awesomeness left behind, if you know what I mean.

Shitty iPod photos, ahoy!

20 Mage -> 20 Mage -> 20 Dark Knight - > 13 Flier
xCkNYQ7.jpg

10 Dancer -> 20 Myrmidon -> 4 Assassin

17 Taguel -> 18 Barbarian

20 Pegasus Knight -> 20 FalcoKnight -> 6 FalcoKnight -> Bride

20 Tactician -> 20 Grandmaster - > Dark Flier

How Tia... How you disappoint me so...

I'm sorry, when Olivia as a Level 10 Dancer/Level 1 Myrmidon can take more hits than a Level 4 Great Knight/Level 1 Wyvern Knight, then something is wrong.

Speaking of which: Olivia is a beastly Assassin.

Well, Fred does start with relatively shitty stats, so yeah...

depths20XX

Bought this game a while ago but just started playing today.

When you create your character is has you pick a strength and a weakness.

So I picked strength as the plus and luck as the negative.

However it seems like my dude is a mage? So should I just start over or what?

Chrom

Your Avatar always starts as a Tactician, which is a class that is able to wield magic and swords. Asset/Flaw just affects your stats.

McNum

+Strength/-Luck is okay.

You main character starts out as a Tactician. He is a hybrid swords/magic class. He'll never be the mage a Mage is, nor the swordsman a Mercenary or Myrmidon is from the get go. But... that can change.

Play Tactician until you hit level 10 at least, then if you have a "Second Seal", have him use it and change class to Mercenary. Show off your strength boost there as a swordsman.

It's nearly impossible to make a bad Avatar. You picked Strength as a focus, so you should probably reclass him to something where Strength is important at some point. But first get to level 10 Tactician. Then worry about what to do from there.

Anteo

Check your avatar inventory, he should start with both a tome and a sword.

Anteo

I'm almost done with my hard/classic run. (I skipped on the kid stuff though)

What are the benefits of going lunatic/classic?

Increased Difficulty where you are expected to play with the RNG and redo a batle if a character does not evade a attack in a specific turn.
You won't get extra unlocks or anything other than Lunatic+.

So I take it chapter 21 is supposed to be a difficulty spike? 20/10-ish units are getting nicely whooped here. I'm sure I'll figure out some tricks. Tharja is close to getting tomebreaker which will help and there are not that many initial enemies its just
getting treasure will slow you massively (guess the fortify staff is the only one worth bothering with) and all the mire enemies you can't hit plus reinforcements from the stairs; best was seeing Lisa activate miracle while the enemy activated astra...

Anteo

So I take it chapter 21 is supposed to be a difficulty spike? 20/10-ish units are getting nicely whooped here. I'm sure I'll figure out some tricks. Tharja is close to getting tomebreaker which will help and there are not that many initial enemies its just
getting treasure will slow you massively (guess the fortify staff is the only one worth bothering with) and all the mire enemies you can't hit plus reinforcements from the stairs; best was seeing Lisa activate miracle while the enemy activated astra...

Yeah that stage is all about: "Should I just rush the boss? O stay for the treasures."
I just rush the boss.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
With double Galeforce and a "kill the boss"-map, there should be one or two maps, I guess.

If they are flying units with Deliverer there are probably quite a few maps that would work on. Gives you a total of 30 movement, and up to 42 movement if you absolutely max it (Deliverer + Boots + move +1 + pair up movement bonus), unless there are impassable walls in the way that should be enough for any defeat boss map.

I'd imagine having two avatars in your logbook ready with Galeforce + Deliverer would let you clear the game pretty quickly. Get a bunch of the stuff from the bonus box and sell it, use the legendary weapons in the late-game.

Just finished Chapter 13 at 13 hours in. WOW, lots of story developments. I wonder how the cutscenes play out if you never got Chrom married...

Just finished Chapter 13 at 13 hours in. WOW, lots of story developments. I wonder how the cutscenes play out if you never got Chrom married...

He'll marry a farmer girl, you won't have all that sentimental mother/daughter reunion scene at the end of the chapter.

Draxal

If they are flying units with Deliverer there are probably quite a few maps that would work on. Gives you a total of 30 movement, and up to 42 movement if you absolutely max it (Deliverer + Boots + move +1 + pair up movement bonus), unless there are impassable walls in the way that should be enough for any defeat boss map.

I'd imagine having two avatars in your logbook ready with Galeforce + Deliverer would let you clear the game pretty quickly. Get a bunch of the stuff from the bonus box and sell it, use the legendary weapons in the late-game.

You also have the rescue chain.

Top Bottom