• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Moonlight

Banned
My MU doesn't gain anystats the unpromoted classes now (except for res), am I supposed to cycle through the promoted classes now to improve my stats? I'd rather just settle on one at this point. Maybe Grandmaster
Unpromoted classes have low stat caps across the board. If you see that a stat is green, you've hit that class's stat cap. You need to promote into an advanced class.

one_kill

If I'm only trying to get skills to offspring, should I level up the parents til max level before changing classes or can I just change them straight away to make things easier?

Are there any benefits in maxing a parent's stats before meeting up with their offspring?

Unpromoted classes have low stat caps across the board. If you see that a stat is green, you've hit that class's stat cap. You need to promote into an advanced class.

Slow levelling ahoy

Tried taking on one of the level 20 Sorcerer from Spotpass and got absolutely wrecked. Dem high level magics. My God!

Is there anything harder than those dudes?

Lunatic broke me on animations.

No Frederick I do not want to see you killed by a hammer for the 20th time.
Then there is the lunatic+ version of "he has hawkeye? might as well restart now as I need to doge it".

That makes me wonder the random extra skills thing, would it have worked better for all difficulties. What I'm saying is would a normal+ be anywhere near as bad while trying to keep the lunatic+ concept of a fresh challenge. Or are the skills just too crazy.

Oh yeah so rescue staff. Does it always drop the person tot he south. I notice when that is blocked it goes to east...

I kinda lost chapter 21 again because of that (suspected stair might have reinforcement, thought I would smart and rescue someone onto it...couldn't stand north of stairs, would die to mire sniping so went south...stairs had reinforcement, dead unit...I think I could have stood on the stairs too...gah), shame as it was a good run unit then.

Oxx

Just saw a spotpass message about this week's bonus box/dlc stuff. I don't even know what day it is anymore.

Today's DLC and SpotPass came a day earlier than usual.

The official site actually lists Champions of Yore 3 and Hot-Spring Scramble for release on a Wednesday.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Today's DLC and SpotPass came a day earlier than usual.

The official site actually lists Champions of Yore 3 and Hot-Spring Scramble for release on a Wednesday.

Tomorrow is Ascension Day. It's a public holiday in Germany and other European countries, so that explains the earlier release.

Sotha Sil

Loving the game, but I have to say that being able to turn the Avatar into an invincible beast after a few maps takes me out of the experience; never had this issue on the previous games. The game would actually be easier if I only used his duo. Maybe starting on Hard was a bad idea.

ohlawd

If I'm only trying to get skills to offspring, should I level up the parents til max level before changing classes or can I just change them straight away to make things easier?

Are there any benefits in maxing a parent's stats before meeting up with their offspring?

You don't have to max the parents if you're only going for skills. Learn the skill then leave them alone.

The kids' stats when you recruit them are affected by the current stats of the parents. In the long run, this doesn't mean anything.

one_kill

You don't have to max the parents if you're only going for skills. Learn the skill then leave them alone.

The kids' stats when you recruit them are affected by the current stats of the parents. In the long run, this doesn't mean anything.
Much appreciated ohlawd :)

Chrom

Then there is the lunatic+ version of "he has hawkeye? might as well restart now as I need to doge it".

That makes me wonder the random extra skills thing, would it have worked better for all difficulties. What I'm saying is would a normal+ be anywhere near as bad while trying to keep the lunatic+ concept of a fresh challenge. Or are the skills just too crazy.

Oh yeah so rescue staff. Does it always drop the person tot he south. I notice when that is blocked it goes to east...

I kinda lost chapter 21 again because of that (suspected stair might have reinforcement, thought I would smart and rescue someone onto it...couldn't stand north of stairs, would die to mire sniping so went south...stairs had reinforcement, dead unit...I think I could have stood on the stairs too...gah), shame as it was a good run unit then.

I haven't made enough observations to be entirely sure, but I think Rescue brings the unit to any one the caster's adjacent sides randomly, and in the case that all of them are occupied, the next set of usable tiles that surround the caster are used instead, which are still random.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's not random, it's south, east, west, north IIRC. But the game also factors in the terrain, so if you have a forest to the south and a plain to the east, the game will skip the south and do east instead.

Qurupeke

Finally, I'll have this game this Friday! I can't believe that... I couldn't find it on any place and because of Easter the Shops were closed for a few days. I pre ordered it last week, and now finally is coming!

So, which difficulty do you think is suitable for me? This is my first fire emblem and generally I don't know much for Strategy games. I was thinking of Classic+Normal.

Chrom

It's not random, it's south, east, west, north IIRC. But the game also factors in the terrain, so if you have a forest to the south and a plain to the east, the game will skip the south and do east instead.

Just tested it, and yeah, it does seem like it's a set of priorities where it's in that particular order. Good to know.

Finally, I'll have this game this Friday! I can't believe that... I couldn't find it on any place and because of Easter the Shops were closed for a few days. I pre ordered it last week, and now finally is coming!

So, which difficulty do you think is suitable for me? This is my first fire emblem and generally I don't know much for Strategy games. I was thinking of Classic+Normal.

Fine choice, I think.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Wouldn't hurt to start on normal classic. Really seems to vary by person, some newcomers find it too easy, others still feel like it provides enough of a challenge.

Chapter 4 and 5 will be a good indication, if you get through those easily normal might be too easy for you.

Anteo

Be carefull with classic, some people get frustated by that mode. Permadeath is not for everyone (and that's why Casual/Newcomer mode exists) Remember that there is no shame on reseting after a death on classic (L + R + START). A lot of people play like that (we need perfect battles everytime)

Qurupeke

Be carefull with classic, some people get frustated by that mode. Permadeath is not for everyone (and that's why Casual/Newcomer mode exists) Remember that there is no shame on reseting after a death on classic (L + R + START). A lot of people play like that (we need perfect battles everytime)

So, if I let many characters die what will happen? Also, all characters die? Even Chrom?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

They add casual mode, but not hardcore mode. I want a game over every time a non-enemy dies.

Except on the DLC I guess. Too many allies with too little self-preservation.

So, if I let many characters die what will happen? Also, all characters die? Even Chrom?

On classic a lost character is gone for good. If your avatar or Chrom dies it's a game over though.

Losing a character means you lose any effort that was put into them - all the levels they've gained, supports they've built, equipment they have, etc, is all gone. There are lots of characters in the game and you would have to lose a lot to actually end up short on them, but just losing a unit you've put a lot of time into can make things more difficult.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm I see. But if important characters die will there be a change to the dialogues/story?

Characters that still play a role in the story won't actually die, but they'll "retreat." And you still won't get to use them again so for gameplay purposes they are dead.

Qurupeke

Characters that still play a role in the story won't actually die, but they'll "retreat." And you still won't get to use them again so for gameplay purposes they are dead.

Now I get it. Thanks for the help. So, no one should die... I think I'll use the soft reset a lot...

OMG OMG SWAG SWAG SWAG

Got a Lethality off on
Validar
in Chapter 23 with my manz Lon'qu. Dem odds

Wish I could have gotten a screencap

McNum

Champions of Yore 3 is out in Europe. I really hope the next DLC campaign uses a different map. Even Chrom was getting tired of it. Also got DLC Michaiah. That's not quite the outfit I remember her wearing... I like the question she asked. And then she asked me to play Radiant Dawn some time. Heh, cute detail. And old Hubba then gave the most transparent advertisement for the future DLC I've seen in a while.

Anyway, also got an All Stats +2. I take it that is a single use item? If so, this map will probably see a few visits. I mean that skill can replace all the other +2 skills.

At least it's more interesting fights than EXPonential Growth. Even if it's just wrong to have Chrom take down Ike in one hit.

Chrom

Champions of Yore 3 is out in Europe. I really hope the next DLC campaign uses a different map. Even Chrom was getting tired of it. Also got DLC Michaiah. That's not quite the outfit I remember her wearing... I like the question she asked. And then she asked me to play Radiant Dawn some time. Heh, cute detail. And old Hubba then gave the most transparent advertisement for the future DLC I've seen in a while.

Anyway, also got an All Stats +2. I take it that is a single use item? If so, this map will probably see a few visits. I mean that skill can replace all the other +2 skills.

At least it's more interesting fights than EXPonential Growth. Even if it's just wrong to have Chrom take down Ike in one hit.

All Stats +2 is a single use item that teaches the skill once, yeah. You can farm them for more.

No other DLC outside of Champions of Yore use that map.

Michaiah's just dressed as this game's Dark Mage. All the DLC characters are dressed as their 'new' class in this game, which looks nice in art but boring in game.

McNum

All Stats +2 is a single use item that teaches the skill once, yeah. You can farm them for more.

No other DLC outside of Champions of Yore use that map.
Hmm, well the level 15-20 base class enemies are a good range for my B team, at least. Might as well get some EXP like that while I'm at it rather than just having Chrom beat up everyone.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Each DLC pack from "Season 1" uses the same maps. So Smash Brethren 1-3 will all use the same map too, for example.

Not sure if the second season ones use different maps since I haven't played any of them yet. I'd guess they do though.

McNum

Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but there's a limit to how little EXP you can get from one victory, isn't there? Like 8 or something?

Just thinking that a map where 20 enemies rush you might be worth more EXP to a high level character than trying to catch the high level Entombed in EXPonential Growth.

Each DLC pack from "Season 1" uses the same maps. So Smash Brethren 1-3 will all use the same map too, for example.

Not sure if the second season ones use different maps since I haven't played any of them yet. I'd guess they do though.

I believe the Scramble ones uses different maps.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but there's a limit to how little EXP you can get from one victory, isn't there? Like 8 or something?

Just thinking that a map where 20 enemies rush you might be worth more EXP to a high level character than trying to catch the high level Entombed in EXPonential Growth.

Pretty much, but that's usually a bit later after some reclassing.

It's also generally more time effective to do Risen/SpotPass encounters and let them all kill themselves on you than chase down the zombies in EXPonential.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just depends on the map rolls. If you get a map with a ton of level 30 Risen, and you have paragon, you can get some decent experience out of that. But yeah, eventually you can do better. Lot of my characters have maxed most of their Limit Broken stats while I grind for more Limit Breaker skills.

I think 8 exp is the least that a promoted unit can give. If your unit is promoted and the enemy is in a base class I think you can get less than that for a kill. Might be mistaken though.

McNum

Just depends on the map rolls. If you get a map with a ton of level 30 Risen, and you have paragon, you can get some decent experience out of that. But yeah, eventually you can do better. Lot of my characters have maxed most of their Limit Broken stats while I grind for more Limit Breaker skills.

I think 8 exp is the least that a promoted unit can give. If your unit is promoted and the enemy is in a base class I think you can get less than that for a kill. Might be mistaken though.
I have a Chrom who's a Lord 20, Cavalier 10, Paladin 15, Great Lord 3. In other words, pretty much at the Normal internal level ceiling.

Target: Level 7 Mercenary Risen. Clearly a fair fight. 141 damage later and Chrom goes from 3 to 11 EXP. That's +8 for a really lopsided fight.

Now if you can go lower on the higher difficulties, I have no idea. But that's a quick test done right now.

Chrom

I believe it's still 8 regardless of difficulty, but there is the exception where you only gain 1 EXP whenever you damage or defeat StreetPass or SpotPass enemies on Lunatic and up.

Sotha Sil

So, how do you guys deal with the nigh invincibility of certain units (the Avatar, mostly) on Hard? Do you just bench him to get a true Fire Emblem experience, play on Lunatic only, or just try not to use him/her much (which is what I'm doing right now)?

On the other hand, I rather enjoyed it when Ike and Chrom both activated Aether against each other in a Bonus Team battle. Chrom won easily, but Ike was a good sport.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, how do you guys deal with the nigh invincibility of certain units (the Avatar, mostly) on Hard? Do you just bench him to get a true Fire Emblem experience, play on Lunatic only, or just try not to use him/her much (which is what I'm doing right now)?

Don't abuse Veteran and (s)he's not too broken unless you grind. And if you're grinding you're probably breaking the game anyway.

Sully was actually the star of the early-game in both my playthroughs. Easily my best character until chapter 6 or 7 when others started catching up.

daxy

Been playing this for my second day now and although it was pretty challenging at first (classic/hard), it's gotten a bit stale. It's mainly been an effort to protect my weaker characters while Chrom and my avatar wreck everyone. Been trying to level up my weaker team members, but when stuff gets hard it's always those two that need to get in there and soak up everyone else's experience. I think I messed up by having those two kill almost everyone earlier on.

Especially the mages are have become a liability I don't want to deal with. Was really looking forward to Tharja, but it's just such a risk to have her go in there when Chrom, my avatar or basically any other melee character can soak up way more damage while outputting more than enough as well.

Should I just grind DLC maps with them or something? I've done that with Sumia but she's still so damn squishy, especially against archers even though Chrom can take hits from lances like a champ.

I've considered not using him, but I don't think the rest of my team is up to the task. Lon'qu is pretty strong in my team, but I think if I do that he'll just power up too much.

Sotha Sil

Don't abuse Veteran and (s)he's not too broken unless you grind. And if you're grinding you're probably breaking the game anyway.

Sully was actually the star of the early-game in both my playthroughs. Easily my best character until chapter 6 or 7 when others started catching up.

I don't grind much, but point taken. It's the same problem I had with The Sacred Stones: random maps are optional, but they're here, and as a result you don't really know how the programmers balanced the game; you don't know if they're an option or a necessity. I hate it now as I did on the GBA. Though at times I do think my swordmaster Veteran (US version of My Unit?) could wipe the floor with any unit with or without grinding.

Thanks for the advice!

Chrom

Been playing this for my second day now and although it was pretty challenging at first (classic/hard), it's gotten a bit stale. It's mainly been an effort to protect my weaker characters while Chrom and my avatar wreck everyone. Been trying to level up my weaker team members, but when stuff gets hard it's always those two that need to get in there and soak up everyone else's experience. I think I messed up by having those two kill almost everyone earlier on.

Especially the mages are have become a liability I don't want to deal with. Was really looking forward to Tharja, but it's just such a risk to have her go in there when Chrom, my avatar or basically any other melee character can soak up way more damage while outputting more than enough as well.

Should I just grind DLC maps with them or something? I've done that with Sumia but she's still so damn squishy, especially against archers even though Chrom can take hits from lances like a champ.

Sure, if you want.

I don't grind much, but point taken. It's the same problem I had with The Sacred Stones: random maps are optional, but they're here, and as a result you don't really know how the programmers balanced the game; you don't know if they're an option or a necessity. I hate it now as I did on the GBA. Though at times I do think my swordmaster Veteran (US version of My Unit?) could wipe the floor with any unit with or without grinding.

Thanks for the advice!

Avatar. Veteran is the name of the first Tactician skill.

Top Bottom