• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Torraz

Just played for one hour. Very much liked what I saw.

I have two questions:

1.) My spell tome just broke. I saw that there is a shop that sells one. However, my money count is still at what is first was. How do you earn money for new equipment?

2.) How many characters should one focus on so that xp is not spread too thinly? I am currently using Chrom, and my main character (melee, and ranged respectively) and the little sister as a healer. Should I be using more or less characters?

Thanks

Just played for one hour. Very much liked what I saw.

I have two questions:

1.) My spell tome just broke. I saw that there is a shop that sells one. However, my money count is still at what is first was. How do you earn money for new equipment?

2.) How many characters should one focus on so that xp is not spread too thinly? I am currently using Chrom, and my main character (melee, and ranged respectively) and the little sister as a healer. Should I be using more or less characters?

Thanks

To make money, you sell the bullions that enemies drop in the game. Or go and get the Golden Gaffe DLC and watch your money skyrocket.

I think around 10 characters or so is a good amount. Of course, if you are willing to grind on random encounters you can easily have everyone at the same level or whatever.

McNum

You'll find an item called Bullion. They come in three sizes. Sell them for gold. If you don't have any, and there are Risen on the world map, clear them out and you'll have a few small ones.

Moonlight

Banned
Some enemies will drop stuff called Bullion. You can open up a Reeking Box to summon Risen or fight the ones already on the map, and there'll generally be at least two drops. Sell it for cash, there's no other reason why you receive it.

More characters, but decide who you like best, don't just throw in characters you aren't necessarily interested in using or work with your strategy just for the sake of rounding things out. Figure out your core group and make sure that their levels are fairly consistent between each other. You can always open up a Reeking Box or fight Risen to grind for experience if things start to get uneven.

Anteo

Question!
Is it possible to trigger the parent conv in the last dlc if the mother is not married? Do I have to kill both enemies surrounding the kids? I killed one and put Nowi with her daughter but nothing happened. (I did use the wait command)

Anteo

Oh ok :(

What does the Bride thing do?

Uses Lances, Bows and Staffs. Skills:

Bond
Restores 10 HP to all allies within a 3 tile radius at the beginning of the user's Turn

Rally Heart
All stats +2 and Movement +1 to all allies within a 3 tile radius for one Turn when the Rally command is used.

Is a unique female class like manakete (can't promote, max level = 30)

Oh ok :(

What does the Bride thing do?

In addition to what the other guys already mentioned, this video gives you a great overview of the Bride class in battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5djRa1lpZsQ

]blacky[;57255258 said:
I play on normal/classic and finished chapter 4. The game seems to be too easy or will it get harder later?
You'll probably need to grind a little bit for some decent skills for the last few chapters, but aside from maybe chapter 12, nothing in normal mode should give you any trouble.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Bride is also a special class with caps and class base stats on par with promoted classes. This means you can level up quickly as a Bride (or Dread Fighter) since they gain experience at the same rate as a base class without the stat-related penalties.

I also think Bride and Dread Fighter also give fairly decent resistance growth, making it easier to build it up.

Torraz

Thanks!

Another question:

I had a popup regarding "conversations" to boost friendship rates. The option that was shown in the mini-tutorial hasn't shown up yet. I think I'm doing something wrong. Could someone describe how to trigger this option showing up? Are there some (hidden) requirements?

Thanks!

Another question:

I had a popup regarding "conversations" to boost friendship rates. The option that was shown in the mini-tutorial hasn't shown up yet. I think I'm doing something wrong. Could someone describe how to trigger this option showing up? Are there some (hidden) requirements?

Do enough battles with two compatible characters either paired up or standing next to each other (You'll know you did when after a battle, a heart appears above the two) and then when you're on the map screen, there is an option called "support" on the menu, those are the conversations.

That, or it means the barracks, where sometimes conversations happen between two characters which boosts the relationship. Either or.

Chrom

Thanks!

Another question:

The tutorial is just there to tell you that it exists, not that you're ready to do it just yet.

You see the Support option in the battle preparations screen (or the world map) light up once you accumulate enough support points between compatible units. You can't miss it.

Anteo

]blacky[;57256440 said:
And no chance to change the difficulty-setting right now?

Going from normal to hard, or hard to lunatic is a big difference on difficulty, a lot of people in this thread have gone from "Normal/Classic is too easy" to "Hard/Classic is too much!" and ended up in Hard/Casual

Dunkelgrau

It can only be set at the very beginning when you create the file.
I normally make only one play through with my games. Should I start from the beginning to increase the difficulty? I really need some challenge and don’t know if I will be quite unhappy with Fire Emblem when it stays as easy as it is right now.

Going from normal to hard, or hard to lunatic is a big difference on difficulty, a lot of people in this thread have gone from "Normal/Classic is too easy" to "Hard/Classic is too much!" and ended up in Hard/Casual
Oh! :-O

Anteo

]blacky[;57257086 said:
I normally make only one play through with my games. Should I start from the beginning to increase the difficulty? I really need some challenge and don’t know if I will be quite unhappy with Fire Emblem when it stays as easy as it is right now.

Going from Hard to lunatic is even worse. I went from "Haha I can play hard with no grinding, heck I only play main chapters and still have 8 man army", to "WTF how am I supposed to beat the Prologue!!"

I can beat the prologue now, but not consistely enough.

]blacky[;57257086 said:

Yeah, while you are only a tiny way into the game I'd highly suggest starting your save over on Hard/Classic (ignore Lunatic, that isn't sensible until at least your 2nd playthrough). Newcomer is also fine if you want the in-battle saves, but you should probably just reset any time someone dies to get the authentic experience if you do that.

I need to replay the game before I go through Future Past. I haven't married anyone off and some of my chosen pairings have been dead since early maps :/

Draxal

]blacky[;57257086 said:

You can play hard/casual just like you can play hard/classic, if a unit dies do a soft-reset (triggers - select); It just gives you an optioin to pass through that if you eventually get too frustrated (and much more importantly it has in battle saves).

Not really liking the name change, but still excited to get home and play it.

Avatar/Severa conversation is really kinda weird if they're father and daughter in the hot spring thingie.

Anteo

The other day I lend my 3ds to a friend so he check out the first few chapters of Fire Emblem, and I made him go at Normal/Casual (first time player). Lissa is a fucking tank in Normal :lol, could take like 3-4 hits.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like hard mode is fairly easy. Before I stopped doing the story and started grinding for skills for the DLC (14 or 15 chapters), I had next to no problems at all. Did do some random Risen battles, but most of those were pretty early on in the game and I eventually stopped doing those so I could get through the story (read: get characters) quicker.

I still haven't beaten the game on this playthrough. I'm thinking about beating it with a party of base class units with Limit Breaker, but I don't even know if that will be challenging.

Sendou

I still haven't beaten the game on this playthrough. I'm thinking about beating it with a party of base class units with Limit Breaker, but I don't even know if that will be challenging.

No it won't. Limit Breaker is there for DLC only really. Using it even on unpromoted characters makes story a joke. Grinding too.

I feel like hard mode is fairly easy. Before I stopped doing the story and started grinding for skills for the DLC (14 or 15 chapters), I had next to no problems at all. Did do some random Risen battles, but most of those were pretty early on in the game and I eventually stopped doing those so I could get through the story (read: get characters) quicker.

Honestly, the hard things in the regular game imo are only until about chapter 6 and trying to do the children paralogues as soon as possible more or less, for everything else your army will start being so overpowered that it doesn't really matter that much.

Draxal

The problem is that a normal playthrough lets you ignore alot of traditional fire emblem defensive tools that a veteran instinctively knows (using Frederick as a meatshield instead of a destroyer; proper usage of choke points etc).

I 2 shot Grima using a non falchion character limited breaked on hard mode, limit breaker really really breaks hard mode; having capped units (nonlimit breaked) breaks hard mode enough in story mode.

Anteo

The problem is that a normal playthrough lets you ignore alot of traditional fire emblem defensive tools that a veteran instinctively knows (using Frederick as a meatshield instead of a destroyer; proper usage of choke points etc).

Choke points? In my awakening?

The game can be broken really easy by feeding all the exp to 2-3 characters. Sadly lunatic encourages this a lot as you really need that to catch up and pass the enemies. By the time you have a set of characters that can handle chapters, everyone else is way behind and can't catch up. One thing I liked about GR:Shadow Wars is that the level ups are fixed per chapter so the devs can balance the game in a per chapter basis.

Draxal

Choke points? In my awakening?

The game can be broken really easy by feeding all the exp to 2-3 characters. Sadly lunatic encourages this a lot as you really need that to catch up and pass the enemies. By the time you have a set of characters that can handle chapters, everyone else is way behind and can't catch up. One thing I liked about GR:Shadow Wars is that the level ups are fixed per chapter so the devs can balance the game in a per chapter basis.

They're a good amount of choke points in the first half of the game; it's the later half of the game that's basically just open fields nonstop. Although they do have units that break those choke points (the ricken/maribelle for exampe is a good exampe of having a strong choke point but also having wyvern riders to break past that choke).

The Ricken/Maribelle stage is the hardest stage in the game for new people to beat on hard.

ffdgh

DLC reinforcements moving on the same turn.....now I have seen it all. Darn it this map is annoying. Gotta protect the girls...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I 2 shot Grima using a non falchion character limited breaked on hard mode, limit breaker really really breaks hard mode; having capped units (nonlimit breaked) breaks hard mode enough in story mode.

That's why I was thinking base class units. I don't remember what sort of stats the enemies on that chapter have but base class units + Limit Breaker would have stats up to the mid 30s or so.

Maybe drop all my other skills too and go weapons only. Without legendary weapons or crazy forged stuff.

Edit: Actually still closer to 40s, so I doubt that would be challenging either. Oh well.

So, I've only played the demo and I wanted to pick this up, but I'm also having trouble for the difficulties. Hard seems fairly easy, while Lunatic seems almost impossible. I'd go with Hard, but I wanted to ask suggestions anyway.

Anteo

You've never played above normal yet have you.

I bet he plays casual too! Burn him!

So, I've only played the demo and I wanted to pick this up, but I'm also having trouble for the difficulties. Hard seems fairly easy, while Lunatic seems almost impossible. I'd go with Hard, but I wanted to ask suggestions anyway.

Sounds about right! Hard is okay with anyone with experience with the genere. Lunatic encourages you to exploit the AI, RNG and flaws of the game to survive. Lunatic+ is even worse.

Chrom

Was there supposed to be?

It was always a weekly thing up to this point. I'm just observing that the lack of a weapon update this week means that Nintendo isn't going to stray from their two-week pattern for the sake of having something new for the Bonus Box every week.

I'm kind of disappointed that there's no Bonus Box content today.

If NOA could change the Bonus Team schedule, they must have been able to change the Bonus Item schedule too.

Oxx

Does Olivia still dance if you reclass? Is she worth doing anything with other than using to make grinding exp easier?

Top Bottom