• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Are there any decent missions (DLC or otherwise) for farming gold tiles that you can get items from? I really need to get an Aversa's Night soon but despite finding one early on my Normal playthrough I've been getting nothing but Superior Jolt tomes on Hard.

zoukka

All three? WTF how did that happen?

I finished a risen mission.
Transition to next screen.
I immeditately see that the save slots are empty and start to sweat.
Select one of them to save my progress.
Game says the data is corrupted.
Back to 3DS home menu.
It says the game must be restarted.
It restarts automatically.
Black screen.
Back in home menu.
I start game and am greeted by "new game" screen only.

I think I need a break from videogames now. Maybe a feew weeks or a month. I'm not even mad or angry, just depressively indifferent and disappointed.

Fuck.

Chrom

Are there any decent missions (DLC or otherwise) for farming gold tiles that you can get items from? I really need to get an Aversa's Night soon but despite finding one early on my Normal playthrough I've been getting nothing but Superior Jolt tomes on Hard.

Hot-Spring Scramble gives you 20 tiles.

MicH

Just recruited Owain (Libra as father) with Galeforce and Tomefaire. I also got his exclusive weapon, Missilietainn. Is it good? It doesn't seem that good. And I won't keep him in a sword class anyway :( (other than to use a Leviin Sword, I suppose)

Going after Cynthia next :D

I saw the Scramble DLC missions filled with nothing but sparkling tiles but not sure if they'll provide the same possible bonuses as the normal sparkling tiles found everywhere else.

Draxal

Hot-Spring Scramble gives you 20 tiles.

I think summer's much more efficient though, spring just has way too many mobs/unblockable routes.

Just recruited Owain (Libra as father) with Galeforce and Tomefaire. I also got his exclusive weapon, Missilietainn. Is it good? It doesn't seem that good. And I won't keep him in a sword class anyway :( (other than to use a Leviin Sword, I suppose)

Going after Cynthia next :D

It's a joke weapon.

zoukka

Was it a cartridge? Did any other games corrupt?

Checked a few other games and they were fine. Activity log still shows FE data. So it's FE that erased those save files. Maybe a bug, I don't know and seeing how it's impossible to recover saves for 3DS I don't really care.

Branson

So I haven't bought this game, I've just read the op. I really liked XCOM. When you recruit new members or whatever in this one can you rename them to whatever you like, or is that only reserved for the main character at the start?
Also if I liked XCOM would I like this?

So... All three of my saves just corrupted after a mission. 30 hours wasted, just rescued the kids...

Almost trashed my 3DS.

Will never see the end of this game.

Edit make that 40 hours by activity log. Fucking sucks. Would've been my game of the year most probably.

Aww, that's terrible. :(

McNum

So I haven't bought this game, I've just read the op. I really liked XCOM. When you recruit new members or whatever in this one can you rename them to whatever you like, or is that only reserved for the main character at the start?
All of the recruits are per-determined characters. The only one you get to make yourself is your avatar at the start. And the amount of characters you get is very limited, so they're all very precious.

If you'll like it if you like XCOM? Well, I like both, they're pretty different within the genre, though. Fire Emblem is not a sandbox SRPG, it has a linear story that you follow. Although to can fight randomly spawning undead on the world map for extra EXP between chapters. The gameplay might feel a bit similar, you have your Player Phase where all your units act and the Enemy Phase where all the enemies act. Since it's fantasy, you're mainly fighting with melee weapons or weapons that has a two tile range, meaning that positioning and blocking access to your more fragile characters becomes more important.

This is the first Fire Emblem where Permadeath is optional, though. In Casual/Newcomer mode you get defeated units back at the end of a mission. In Classic Mode... you don't. Ever. Meaning you lose that branch of the story and maybe characers that depended on that unit to be recruited. Like if Sumia dies, you don't get Cynthia either.

There is a demo, if you have a 3DS, maybe give that a try?

I haven't played XCOM but I've played FE a lot and really want to try out XCOM, if that tells you anything.

All members of your army are individuals with personalities and backstories and stuff and you can't rename them.

This is the first Fire Emblem where Permadeath is optional, though.

Second!

Gvaz

Banned
Checked a few other games and they were fine. Activity log still shows FE data. So it's FE that erased those save files. Maybe a bug, I don't know and seeing how it's impossible to recover saves for 3DS I don't really care.

See....the 3DS has a save backup feature.

But you have to have the digital version of the game too.

And you can't rewrite back to the cart. (it erases it from the cart for some fucking reason)

*sigh*

Branson

I haven't played XCOM but I've played FE a lot and really want to try out XCOM, if that tells you anything.

All members of your army are individuals with personalities and backstories and stuff and you can't rename them.

Second!

All of the recruits are per-determined characters. The only one you get to make yourself is your avatar at the start. And the amount of characters you get is very limited, so they're all very precious.

If you'll like it if you like XCOM? Well, I like both, they're pretty different within the genre, though. Fire Emblem is not a sandbox SRPG, it has a linear story that you follow. Although to can fight randomly spawning undead on the world map for extra EXP between chapters. The gameplay might feel a bit similar, you have your Player Phase where all your units act and the Enemy Phase where all the enemies act. Since it's fantasy, you're mainly fighting with melee weapons or weapons that has a two tile range, meaning that positioning and blocking access to your more fragile characters becomes more important.

This is the first Fire Emblem where Permadeath is optional, though. In Casual/Newcomer mode you get defeated units back at the end of a mission. In Classic Mode... you don't. Ever. Meaning you lose that branch of the story and maybe characers that depended on that unit to be recruited. Like if Sumia dies, you don't get Cynthia either.

There is a demo, if you have a 3DS, maybe give that a try?

Yeah I have the demo. Haven't played it much yet. I just had a couple of questions about the character naming since I loved that about XCOM. Thanks!

MicH

Productive day today! I've recruited Owain, Cynthia and Morgan! Probably gonna get Inigo next as I have all the skills I want to pass down ready (well, only Galeforce since his father is Chrom).

I really like Cynthia (Avatar is father) and she has her fathers purple hair. I love it!

MicH

Don't rush into the ruins on Inigo's map. Wait a bit to kill all those annoying flying units.
Noted. Thanks for the tip. That map does look daunting.

Also Inigo with Chrom as his father looks just like.. his father. It's uncanny

Don't rush into the ruins on Inigo's map. Wait a bit to kill all those annoying flying units.

I'm going to follow up on this point with the hint that the lower squad of Pegasus chaps will arrive on land first allowing you the mug them with your many units while also being just out of range of the other squad coming from the top, this avoids being swarmed by those hard hitting tomes.

McNum

You didn't say internationally!
I keep forgetting they made the FE3 remake where a lot of the good stuff in Awakening was actually introduced.

So here in the West we went from Shadow Dragon, which was barebones at best, to Awakening. Quite a jump in features. I hope the Avatar is going to be a series staple from now on. Having a "me2 in the game is pretty fun, even if he gets horribly overpowered easily.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I hope they keep the marriage and children feature, it's pretty cool.
But children only work with a time travel thingamajig mechanic.
I wouldn't mind having a new FE with a direct sequel that reads saved data on marriages for children in that following game though.

Kurtofan

But children only work with a time travel thingamajig mechanic.
I wouldn't mind having a new FE with a direct sequel that reads saved data on marriages for children in that following game though.

Timeskip! I thought this is how it was going to work when I heard about that feature, didn't think of Terminator style time travel

I keep forgetting they made the FE3 remake where a lot of the good stuff in Awakening was actually introduced.

I wonder if at some point they'll reintroduce unmounting. I thought it was an interesting feature, especially since you couldn't do class changing in older FEs.

Nope. Seisen no Keifu worked much better story-wise without time travel bullshit.

Probably because this game basically handwaved the entire time traveling paradox problem away.

I wonder if at some point they'll reintroduce unmounting. I thought it was an interesting feature, especially since you couldn't do class changing in older FEs.

I like dismounting but it does need to be balanced instead of crippling your mounted units when they normally don't wield a sword.

McNum

It does look a bit silly when flying around on a Pegasus indoors, but what was the benefit of doing it?

It does look a bit silly when flying around on a Pegasus indoors, but what was the benefit of doing it?

Forces all your axe and lance wielding mounted units to suddenly have to use a sword with probably an E rank or so.

I mean you could say it gets rid of arrow weakness.

McNum

Forces all your axe and lance wielding mounted units to suddenly have to use a sword with probably an E rank or so.

I mean you could say it gets rid of arrow weakness.
Really? If they bring this back, I'd at least hope you would keep your weapon. There are on-foot users of all the types.

Except where did the playable Soldier class go? I miss it. Master of none, good at all but Mag. Also Nephenee. She was a good unit. Her having Wrath was fun, even if she blocked and dodged so much that she rarely got hurt enough to use it.

Wait, Nephenee is a SpotPass unit, right? What class is she in Awakening?

Really? If they bring this back, I'd at least hope you would keep your weapon. There are on-foot users of all the types.

Except where did the playable Soldier class go? I miss it. Master of none, good at all but Mag. Also Nephenee. She was a good unit. Her having Wrath was fun, even if she blocked and dodged so much that she rarely got hurt enough to use it.

A Knight, wwwwwwww.

Draxal

Nope. Seisen no Keifu (FE4) worked much better story-wise without time travel bullshit.

Ayup, but it could be only done once.

Well, usually knights fought with lances on horse/swords on foot, horse lances ... were not designed to be used on feet, hence the logic.

MicH

I JUST recruited Inigo and he's already my favorite. Holy shit. He loves to shake his hips at the ladies, I freaking love it! And the C-support he and Lucina had as siblings was AMAZING. Getting scolded by Chrom, so damn good.

I also managed to kill five enemies with him in his recruitment map. Free Hammerne staff!

Looking at the enemy unit strengths in Chapter 24 I take it I was supposed to have done the Children maps by now...since I'm going for supports this playthrough (which means keeping people unmarried) I'll do Ingo's map.

Donny is 1 level up away from maxing his luck (and having to use one map luck+2 items to make armshift 100%...typically I've classed him into Warrior so can't take advantage of Leif's Blade). Avatar is somewhat close but his internal level is too high so even with veteran he is gaining little EXP.

At least there are not several teleporting mages who can attack on the the turn they teleport and get this...usually fail to kill any unit as their AI is so terrible. Since I expect nobody got that. The map is borrowed from Fire Emblem Gaiden.

She's a knight. Not really much choice for lance infantry, other than Bride. Which is what I made her. And she comes with Wrath too!

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Dat waifu and dat waifu lance.

I'm scared that I might accidentally wipe my data every time I change the damn audio.

Top Bottom