• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Crocodile

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before but I've heard good things about them and I've enjoyed similar games by the same developers (Advance Wars). I also know/heard that physical copies of the game are hard to find because it was undershipped? I'm interested in the game but not in a SUPER hurry to pick it up. If I could walk into a gamestore tomorrow and pick it up for $38 (no tax) total should I go for it? Is that a good price or should I hold on and look for a better price elsewhere/soon?

one_kill

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before but I've heard good things about them and I've enjoyed similar games by the same developers (Advance Wars). I also know/heard that physical copies of the game are hard to find because it was undershipped? I'm interested in the game but not in a SUPER hurry to pick it up. If I could walk into a gamestore tomorrow and pick it up for $38 (no tax) total should I go for it? Is that a good price or should I hold on and look for a better price elsewhere/soon?
If you've got no other plans to buy anything for a while or have no games you're currently into, FE:A is worth it.

Chrom

Sure. The game is very much worth the price, methinks.

gotee12

Best Buy is selling brand new physical copies for $30 right now. My copy is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Excite!

Dresden

If you have a best buy near you, hit them up because it's $30 right now.

Hey Fire Emblem-GAF, quick question.

I'm finally getting around to playing this game after it's been sitting on my shelf for a few months (shame me). What difficulty should I do? Normal/Classic or Hard/Classic. I'm not touching Casual mode because the temptation to play like an idiot would be too great on some of the harder battles for me.

I've beaten FE 7, 8, and 9 for reference. I'm generally alright at SRPGs but not the greatest either.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Hey Fire Emblem-GAF, quick question.

I'm finally getting around to playing this game after it's been sitting on my shelf for a few months (shame me). What difficulty should I do? Normal/Classic or Hard/Classic. I'm not touching Casual mode because the temptation to play like an idiot would be too great on some of the harder battles for me.

I've beaten FE 7, 8, and 9 for reference. I'm generally alright at SRPGs but not the greatest either.

Hard classic should be fine for you then. Normal is too easy.

Jintor

No no one said that. There aren't even any 'Seize the Throne' objectives in this one.

Lack of objectives is pretty disappointing. I have to say I also stopped noticing the map design about halfway through because I got sick of reinforcements decimating my forces so I just made them all ludicrously powerful instead.

demidar

Lack of objectives is pretty disappointing. I have to say I also stopped noticing the map design about halfway through because I got sick of reinforcements decimating my forces so I just made them all ludicrously powerful instead.

I agree, the only two objectives the game has are "Rout the enemy" or "Defeat the commander".

Although "Capturing the objective" could lead to a scout rush problem.

Jintor

Has there ever been a Fire Emblem with a Helm's Deep style situation where you just gotta hold a position until a turn time runs out?

patapuf

This is one of the few things that really annoy me about the game. Spawning and attacking in the same round is just BS.

You get a vague hint and you can block the castles/stairs but often it's just luck whether someone spawns or not. This was handled better in the older titles.

Has there ever been a Fire Emblem with a Helm's Deep style situation where you just gotta hold a position until a turn time runs out?

There were a few "hold out for X rounds" in the GBA games but those tend to be the easiest missions as they usually feature chokepoints. You could also break out of your fortress and rush the boss as alternative to defending (though that was harder, obviously.)

Path of Radiance had a pretty fun one fairly early on in addition to the others mentioned in the thread. Unlike some of those, you were actually inside a fortress.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Noob question:

I'm at ch 9 and I still don't get the reason to pair up characters in battle.

To mee it always seems like a waste, I can only use them once and the front character takes all the damage.

What am I doing wrong?

McNum

Radiant Dawn, stage 3-13.

You have to prevent waves of enemies from advancing past a green line on the map and hold on for several turns or defeat the enemy boss. The enemy boss is Ike, so... Also there are anemy flying units.

There's also the general Defend objective used in several games where you just have to last a number of turns while keeping a glowing square safe. Path of Radiance used this one a lot, and Radiant Dawn loved to put twists on it, as shown with 3-13.
Noob question:

To mee it always seems like a waste, I can only use them once and the front character takes all the damage.

What am I doing wrong?
The big deal about Pair Up is the stat boosts. The lead character will do more damage, take less damage, be faster, and overall more awesome, and the back character is completely shielded from being attacked. The stat boosts you get improve as support levels and your overall stats improve.

It's also a surefire way of making two characters support as long as the pairing fights together.

Jintor

I'm pondering if I like the move to a more diversified class structure where you can flick anybody in and out of any class you want. It's rad as hell in a lot of ways, but I can't help but feel like the maps don't seem that designed for it...

Noob question:

What am I doing wrong?

Stat bonuses and chance of double attack/full damage negation, son!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Stat bonuses and chance of double attack/full damage negation, son!

Ok, any general tips on what sort of characters to pair, besides the ones with good relations? Weak ones and strong ones? Similar ones? Magicians and fighters?

Can I use healers that are in a pair with another class?

patapuf

Noob question:

What am I doing wrong?

It's really useful if you want to defend chokepoints/tank with a unit. In the older games this was easy but in this one even knights can be squishy. If you pair up 2 units they can often tank the whole army. You get extra attacks out of it too.

Ok, any general tips on what sort of characters to pair, besides the ones with good relations? Weak ones and strong ones? Similar ones? Magicians and fighters?

Can I use healers that are in a pair with another class?

In general, it's good to pair up to either boost stats the unit is already good with or to compensate a particular weakness like low speed/res. What unit gives what boost is pretty straightforward, a mage will boost mag, a myrmidon speed ect.

It's also a good way to beef up weak units you want to train.

demidar

Also you can hide near-death allies by pairing them up behind a healthy unit. You can also pull the back-up from a used pair to give them another turn like healing or ranged attacks.

There are a lot of cool tricks you can do with pairing up.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Also you can hide near-death allies by pairing them up behind a healthy unit. You can also pull the back-up from a used pair to give them another turn like healing or ranged attacks.

There are a lot of cool tricks you can do with pairing up.

What do you mean by that? It takes a full turn for both to pair up and split up, right?

Jintor

Let's say you pair an pegasus knight and a cleric. You can use the peg. knight's movement to get next to a damaged unit far off and then heal the shit out of them by switching out. Basically extends your artillery range.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've also had instances where I needed to take out an enemy but didn't have enough speed to double attack him, until I paired another unit which gave me a speed boost enough to double attack.

McNum

Anyone like the skill Lifetaker?
A 50% heal off a Player Phase kill? Yeah, it's pretty nice. Good on the first generation Manaketes. Both my Nowi and Tiki have it. If you have other HP recovery skills, it might be redundant, like Sol, Renewal, or just using Nosferatu, but it's a quite nice heal.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks everyone for input on pairing up! Just have to play more and try out stuff I guess! :)

Macka

Should I buy any of the DLC for my first playthrough? Or would it be better to wait and save it until I've already beaten the game once?

Are the other two Champions of Yore maps worth getting while they're still discounted?

I did download something (I cant recall what) but can you give me step-by-step instructions in how to download this free DLC

The free map is Champions of Yore 1. Check to see if its available. As far as I know, it's only free for Europeans at this point.

Moonlight

Banned
I did download something (I cant recall what) but can you give me step-by-step instructions in how to download this free DLC

1. Move to the Outrealm Gate on the world map.
  2. Enter the gate.
  3. Select 'Purchase Maps'
  4. Look for 'Champions of Yore 1'
  5. Select it.
  6. Hit Buy on the touch screen - it should list 0.00 as the purchase price.
  7. Back out.
  8. Select 'Play a Map' on the Outrealm Gate main select screen.

Champions of Yore should be available to select.

And I wouldn't say that the others in the Champions of Yore set are worth it unless you really want some of those legacy characters.

Does the DLC get saved onto the console itself or the game? I ask this because I bought another game off someone and was surprised to find the game saves on there

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Man, there sure is a lot of sweet fanart for FE:A.

tumblr_miyc8qjgGu1ruti06o1_500.jpg
tumblr_mk2smuV3Sz1ruti06o1_500.jpg
tumblr_mhlrj7vrkx1ruti06o1_500.jpg
tumblr_mlos4jo1Jy1r1pc0po1_500.jpg
tumblr_mmaydyagjH1qjwup5o1_500.jpg
tumblr_mmbejzLy3y1rrlmhco1_r1_500.jpg
tumblr_miww2oRRjY1s2var8o1_500.jpg

McNum

Hmm, trying to find out what skill Panne should give to Yarne. I'm down to Deliverer or Lancebreaker. Both are pretty good, but maybe Deliverer is the more generally useful one? Yarne is getting Sol from Gregor. That's an easy pick.

demidar

Hmm, trying to find out what skill Panne should give to Yarne. I'm down to Deliverer or Lancebreaker. Both are pretty good, but maybe Deliverer is the more generally useful one? Yarne is getting Sol from Gregor. That's an easy pick.

Give him a breaker skill.

I'm pondering if I like the move to a more diversified class structure where you can flick anybody in and out of any class you want. It's rad as hell in a lot of ways, but I can't help but feel like the maps don't seem that designed for it...

That was basically the class system in the DS FE's. It made everyone feel like clones even more than this game does.

One of these things is more :dtl than the others...

Oh please, that's a girl.

So for us at PAL regions, when can we expect the last set of SpotPass characters? Is there any schedule?

The legacy characters or the story ones
like Gangrel
?

For the legacy characters, we're on the 5th team out of 12 and they're released once a week.

Story characters are every other week. There are 6 of those and we just got the 2nd last week.

Top Bottom