• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

luokyl

For spotpass characters, does my console actually need to be on at the time they're distributed or can I get them all at once later on?

Is this a good setup for Kjelle?

Sol
Luna
Aegis
Pavise
Axefaire

I was thinking Luna would affect Sol activations and she hits like a bus anyway. Would Dual Guard+ be better?

Draxal

Aegis is kind of redundant, maybe deliverer or a breaker skill?

It isn't redundant as is it works on the attacks pavise doesn't and its much better then the breakers or deliverer. Dropping Luna for dual guard + would make her a better tank; as well as dropping axefaire for limitbreaker when you get that dlc.

Speaking of DLC, is there only the one that's super hard that people are maxing out stats for or are there a few above the difficulty of the main game?

I only ever see TSON mentioned

Besides that, there are 3 packs that are harder than the main game: Rogues and Redeemers, Challenge and The Future Past.

The 6 free SpotPass maps are also tougher.

People mainly mention TSON because it's totally crazy even for an optimised team.

This just arrived earlier today, my first Fire Emblem.

How do you get DLC? I checked it on the eshop and it told me to get it ingame, loaded the game up but there doesn't seem to be any option in the menus for it.

What are good stats to start with? I went with asset - Skill, flaw - Luck, but not sure if that was a mistake

This just arrived earlier today, my first Fire Emblem.

How do you get DLC? I checked it on the eshop and it told me to get it ingame, loaded the game up but there doesn't seem to be any option in the menus for it.

What are good stats to start with? I went with asset - Skill, flaw - Luck, but not sure if that was a mistake

DLC can be purchased and played from the Outrealm Gate, a location in the game, which appears after you've beaten a couple of missions.

Those stats seem fine. Skill is good for skill activations and Luck isn't too useful.

DLC can be purchased and played from the Outrealm Gate, a location in the game, which appears after you've beaten a couple of missions.

Those stats seem fine. Skill is good for skill activations and Luck isn't too useful.

Cool, thanks. Guess I'm gonna miss out on the free DLC then, I think the promotion for it ends today.

Do skills in this work like in most other RPGs (require MP/TP/PP or whatever to use?) Why do you need to activate them?

Cool, thanks. Guess I'm gonna miss out on the free DLC then, I think the promotion for it ends today.

Do skills in this work like in most other RPGs (require MP/TP/PP or whatever to use?) Why do you need to activate them?

There are two type of skills, always on and those that'll activate base off one of your stats such as skill or luck.

You can see which skill is which type by touching them when looking at the unit's status.

So for example, Miracle is a luck based skill that activates based off your luck stat while Disciple is always on as you'll always gain double the weapon experience with that character.

Chrom

Skills are innate abilities that don't cost anything to use up in order to activate them. In fact, many of them activate randomly or have persisting effects that last for as long as the skill is equipped. For example, one skill might activate right before you attack, and it'd let you ignore half of your enemy's Defense or Resistance, or another skill might give you the ability to open chests or doors without the need of a key.

Skills are great tools that allow for units to become more versatile and capable in combat and on the field.

Fire Emblem skills are mainly just neat things that happen during combat - nullify defense, absorb HP, put to sleep, boost to a stat, and so on. They don't require anything to use, although the Rally skills require you to take a turn to activate them. The rest just happen naturally during the flow of combat. In Fire Emblem, everything is dictated by the RNG, and skills are no exception. In Awakening, skills are learned when you hit a certain level in a certain class.

Despera

Banned
I decided to go through the Endgame before tackling the spotpass paralogues.

It was an orgy of cliches, as expected.

But damn if that wasn't enjoyable. Went in with Donnel/Cordelia (my killer duo) + Chrom/MU, and was done in 3 turns lol. The last bit after the credits was pretty awesome.

Now to reload and clean up those paralogues.

I'm thinking of starting a new game, this time going with Lunatic/Classic.

What do you guys think of Lunatic mode? Hard/Classic wasn't that much of a challenge, even though both Gaius and Henry died on me...

Dresden

I'd imagine that Lunatic goes from either incredibly challenging if you try to use everyone, or trivialized by soloing everything with MU.

Macka

Wow, I'm playing on Classic Hard and it's quite challenging; pretty much every mission thus far has been a struggle to keep everyone alive, and I've been resetting a lot. I'm not really liking many of the characters so far, they seem bland.

The game is great though, gorgeous 3D and tight gameplay. Just wish the enemies would stop randomly critical hitting me the turn before I was about to finish the map. Oh, and I'm having terrible luck with growths too :/

Despera

Banned
Wow, I'm playing on Classic Hard and it's quite challenging; pretty much every mission thus far has been a struggle to keep everyone alive, and I've been resetting a lot. I'm not really liking many of the characters so far, they seem bland.

The game is great though, gorgeous 3D and tight gameplay. Just wish the enemies would stop randomly critical hitting me the turn before I was about to finish the map. Oh, and I'm having terrible luck with growths too :/
I think chapter 8's the point where the game gradually transforms into a cakewalk.

Awwww, I was getting ready for TSON tomorrow when I found out that there is a limit to the number of forged weapons the game lets you make. I need more game! ;_;

vag 2.0

Made the mistake of playing Normal first. I'm at chapter 17 and it's not just easy, I reckon it'd be impossible to lose at this point (and i haven't done any grinding). Worth restarting on Hard? My impression of Lunatic is that Fred carries you for the first 4 maps then you grind out on the DLC to make good builds.

Samyy

Uhm.... why is Donnel so weak :(
Still stuck at lvl 3 - does no damage, dies incredibly quickly! I feel like I progressed to far while only leveling a certain group of characters. Are my other low level characters screwed because the random fights across the map have enemies lvl 7+

Neiteio

You guys see this?

BQFH2AM.jpg

Neiteio

I wish I could find it. It was from the first stage of the pack. The festival thing, you could see all the child and tell who the parents are. It was awesome.

Edit:
This is the one: Pic
Ah, yes, I've seen that one before. I agree, it's the best. :)

ugh... the fuck is with the Tharja obsession?
The "Tharja obsession" is actually canon -- she's obsessed with the avatar character in the game until you woo her away with some other character. Her profile in the Barracks' Roster even indicates she has an unhealthy obsession with Robin.

Still stuck at lvl 3 - does no damage, dies incredibly quickly! I feel like I progressed to far while only leveling a certain group of characters. Are my other low level characters screwed because the random fights across the map have enemies lvl 7+

Pair him up. Weaken some enemies and feed him kills. That oughta do it. He'll become a monster. What chapter are you on?

ugh... the fuck is with the Tharja obsession?

Why don't you ask her!

The free(?) Marth DLC and the spotpass teams can be used to lvl up your weaker characters if you so wish.

As for Donnel, he purposely starts out weak and can't really gain levels by himself early on unless you pair him with someone and take out an enemy close to death.

However, once he does start leveling up by himself, Donnel turns into a false god who is able to slay enemy units left and right easily in the normal/hard mode playthrough.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The "Tharja obsession" is actually canon -- she's obsessed with the avatar character in the game until you woo her away with some other character. Her profile in the Barracks' Roster even indicates she has an unhealthy obsession with Robin.

...huh. Well that's one explanation for it. I just stuck her with Lon'qu since she seemed to pretty successfully back him up alot in combat, and went from there.

Pau

So disappointed in my husband Basilio's support conversations. Really thought they'd be more interesting but everyone else was already paired off. :/

Got all the kids and now have only two chapters to go! Only took since the US release date to get to this point. :p

So because of that other thread, I want to know about what newcomers to the series would want in the next FE.

I'm new to the series,

So, as a newcomer to the series, I want to know how you would react if the next Fire Emblem was more traditional and less like Awakening. That means:

- Game progresses chapter by chapter, no overworld, no grinding, limited pool of EXP for all your characters. Shopping done by finding a shop in a battlefield or when at base.
- No children, reaching max support only changes the epilogue. Also means less of a focus on romantic pairings.
- Sidequests unlocked through meeting certain conditions on the previous map(s), such as a turn count, level requirement, keeping certain green or red units alive, visiting a village, etc
- Maybe no avatar
- Maybe no reclass
- Skills just come with characters, and you can obtain new ones that you can assign to whoever. Or, no worrying about skills at all.

Anteo

So because of that other thread, I want to know about what newcomers to the series would want in the next FE.

So, as a newcomer to the series, I want to know how you would react if the next Fire Emblem was more traditional and less like Awakening. That means:

- Game progresses chapter by chapter, no overworld, no grinding, limited pool of EXP for all your characters. Shopping done by finding a shop in a battlefield or when at base.
- No children, reaching max support only changes the epilogue. Also means less of a focus on romantic pairings.
- Sidequests unlocked through meeting certain conditions on the previous map(s), such as a turn count, level requirement, keeping certain green or red units alive, visiting a village, etc
- Maybe no avatar
- Maybe no reclass
- Skills just come with characters, and you can obtain new ones that you can assign to whoever. Or, no worrying about skills at all.

I'm not new to the series but I want to give my opinion too:

1) This could be optional like permadeath. You could choose difficulty, Permadeath(on/off) and Progress(Forced,At your own pace). However awakening can be played with no grinding. Maybe if they add a small unlock if you complete it without grindng (like a new title screen so you can show off, or your savedata has stars/emblems like in NSMB)

2) Id be okay with this. Childern can't be implemented in every game.

3) Only if we know before the battle starts what we need to unlock things.

4) Sure why not!

5) Only if there is not postgame like the spotpass paralogues, dlc, though that's tied to the no grind part. Maybe lock it in harder difficulties until you finish the main campaing?

6) I really want a new system for that. Skills that are tied to the class (+1 range for archer classes for example), and some others that you can trade around.

Neiteio

Happy to provide my feedback!

I like having shops in the overworld -- you can sell your goods and purchase new equipment without the pressure of a battle that may end in a reset, anyways. (Not that I needed to reset often -- I played on Normal Casual. I'm a busy person, and I wouldn't want to play an SRPG that required resetting the game on a regular basis just to preserve cherished characters. Not to mention, people who do that are technically "cheating" the system, anyways; the whole point of permadeath is the characters STAY dead, not the player starting the system over for a "second chance.")

I also like the option to do "skirmish" battles whenever I want. It's a nice way to get the gameplay experience without advancing the main narrative.

I loved the romantic pairings! When you like the characters, you want them to be happy, so playing matchmaker with them becomes a mini-game in its own right. And I loved the gameplay payoff of unlocking a new paralogue where you could recruit their children, with tweaked hair color and special abilities inherited from the parents. The support conversations between the parents and child further add to the sense of togetherness. Warm fuzzy feelings, all around!

Sidequests unlocked through meeting certain conditions on the previous map(s), such as a turn count, level requirement, keeping certain green or red units alive, visiting a village, etc
I wouldn't be opposed to this, necessarily, and actually, Awakening has some missions that play out a bit like this (I.E. keep Tiki alive to recruit her). However, they should make the conditions explicitly clear. I missed out on recruiting Laurent in Paralogue 14 (I believe) because I didn't realize I had to check in at every village with a certain character in order to trigger his appearance.

- Maybe no avatar
- Maybe no reclass
The avatar is probably the character I find least interesting. Fire Emblem would be fine without him/her. If they keep the avatar, I hope they add more customization options for his/her appearance. As for reclassing, I hope they keep it. Promoting classes and reclassing units reminds me of evolutions in Pokémon -- it's an exciting way to make a unit stronger or more versatile than it was before.

Hmm, I have no particular opinion on this. All I know is like the skills, and sometimes it'd be nice to give the more useful ones (like replenishing health after a turn) to characters I prefer.

Anteo

Happy to provide my feedback!

I like having shops in the overworld -- you can sell your goods and purchase new equipment without the pressure of a battle that may end in a reset, anyways. (Not that I needed to reset often -- I played on Normal Casual. I'm a busy person, and I wouldn't want to play an SRPG that required resetting the game on a regular basis just to preserve cherished characters. Not to mention, people who do that are technically "cheating" the system, anyways; the whole point of permadeath is the characters STAY dead, not the player starting the system over for a "second chance.")

What would you think about having a small bonus (like nsmb/3dland stars on the savefile) for those that play directly from main chapter to main chapter with no grinding?

Would you be upset or just don't care? I know a friend of mine that restarted SM3DLand just because his starts would not sparkle. He was halfway in when I pointed out that.

Top Bottom