• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So what DLC is worth it? I think I'm ready to take the plunge.

Depends on what you're looking for.

Champions of Yore 3 has a tome that is given once per clear, which teaches all stats +2.

The XP, Gold, and Super Weapons pack is pretty self explanatory, though the infinite weapons also includes the silver card for half off all purchases.

Lost Bloodlines 2 includes Dread Fighter scroll to have males become a dread fighter, a level 30 class (similar to villager) that teaches resistance +10 and Attack+10 when attacking skills.

Lost bloodlines 3 has paragon scroll for one-time use skill, which doubles xp gained.

Smash Brethren 2 has Bride's bouquet, similar to dread fighter, but for females. Has skills of rally heart (+2 to all stats +1mov) and bond, which heals everyone by 10 at start of your turn in a 3x3 diamond.

Smash Brethren 3 has Iote's shield, but it's a skill now, so not necessarily as useful.

Perhaps most important, Ike's Rogues and Redeemer's 3 has limit break scroll when beating, which boosts all stat caps by 10. However, enemies here are quite tough.

The newest pack is the first 'challenget' set pack, the others being the Future of Despair set (coming soon), and the as of now final DLC, The strongest One's name.

Do the Whitewings have their own recruitment conversations like the lords? I ask because I really hope Katarina gets a conversation like Lyn's, and not some throwaway afterthought "Oh by the way here take this card" like Eldigan. So I'm hoping characters with new designs get conversations. Yes?

Unfortunately, Est and Catria have been exactly like Eldigan. Not sure if it's the same for Katarina, I believe she does have a line similar to Lyn's, but commenting that you look like the avatar from FE2/12 instead of the tactician from 7.

For the bonus, it counts your pair up partner as well as anyone else that's in an adjacent square next to you.

If you are paired up and have no one surrounding you, you only gain support bonuses from the pair up character.

If you do have other units surrounding you, their support levels with your character gets added together for the support bonuses.

It's the same system, just that when pairing up, you'll always have some level of support bonuses while you can gain more if you have other characters next to them as well.

Okay, that's what I basically figured. So since 12 is the max rank, you can get that with one S-rank pair, and 2 A-rank arounds. So Dual support + isn't as necessary.

Do the Whitewings have their own recruitment conversations like the lords? I ask because I really hope Katarina gets a conversation like Lyn's, and not some throwaway afterthought "Oh by the way here take this card" like Eldigan. So I'm hoping characters with new designs get conversations. Yes?

I recall hearing that Katarina does get one, yes.

pariah164

Hm.

I have a little green dot that indicates I have new Spotpass stuff in game. I have perused both my files and I have gotten everything possible. Still have the dot.

What the balls, 3DS.

Okay, that's what I basically figured. So since 12 is the max rank, you can get that with one S-rank pair, and 2 A-rank arounds. So Dual support + isn't as necessary.

Well sure, if you are basically getting EVERY SUPPORT EVER, then Dual Support+ isn't that useful.

Hm.

I have a little green dot that indicates I have new Spotpass stuff in game. I have perused both my files and I have gotten everything possible. Still have the dot.

What the balls, 3DS.

Maybe you gotta wait for the world map to refresh itself?

Well Eldigan is a faux DLC character anyway. If you play your file on a 3DS without the DLC bought, he'll still have his portrait while other actual DLC characters will get a giant question mark in instead.
Yeah, his card doesn't have the fancy DLC border either, which is kind of disappointing.

Edit: Double post again... :/

So, does anyone know what sprite is that suppose to be in the Others SpotPass category?

It looks like a horseback unit, but it's so squished and RED, I can't tell.

Metroidvania

Well sure, if you are basically getting EVERY SUPPORT EVER, then Dual Support+ isn't that useful.

Haha, true enough.

My core group have basically all A-ranked. It's mostly kids, to be fair, and they can pretty much all support each other save for a few exceptions. My team has basically devolved into who has armsthrift (or Falchion), paired with each other or their marriage partners, lol.

Only real outlier is Tharja, but she's married to the MU, so there's that. Plus she's still kicking ass as a sorcerer, even if she can't learn armsthrift.

Looks like it could be a fire dragon sprite from one of the earlier games, not sure.

I've just unlocked the streetpass functionality. Anything more than a novelty?

Streetpass or Spotpass? Streetpass will make you want to build up a good core in your army so when you streetpass one of us we won't laugh at your lame team. Spotpass nets you bonus items and chapters with recruitable characters and extra avatars that look like people from previous games who sell you cool items sometimes.

First time FE player here and probably a dumb question but what the difference between pairing up and fighting next to each other? Damn....I wish there included a tutorial/booklet with this game :/

Oxx

I was curious about Streetpass.

There's a half-hearted Nintendo/Game event today and I was considering going and sitting in the coffee place opposite and try and get some tags.

Tenck

First time FE player here and probably a dumb question but what the difference between pairing up and fighting next to each other? Damn....I wish there included a tutorial/booklet with this game :/

Pairing up gives you stat bonuses. Check 'em out by going next to someone and hitting "pair up" and you'll see blue numbers. That's the stats that'll change. Pairing up is better for stats, but sometimes I leave my units alone so they all have a chance to attack and get EXP.

Pairing up gives you stat bonuses. Check 'em out by going next to someone and hitting "pair up" and you'll see blue numbers. That's the stats that'll change. Pairing up is better for stats, but sometimes I leave my units alone so they all have a chance to attack and get EXP.

Thanks! So....if you pair up, you won't get EXP? Interesting. Now it makes sense to separate them sometimes.

I was curious about Streetpass.

There's a half-hearted Nintendo/Game event today and I was considering going and sitting in the coffee place opposite and try and get some tags.

Well, one of my favorite parts about Streetpassing someone is that you can buy most of the items their team is carrying. If you have the gold for it, you can pick up some stat boosting items, the legacy weapons, weapons you can't get yet early in the game and especially while early, master and second seals if the threw some in.

Thanks! So....if you pair up, you won't get EXP? Interesting. Now it makes sense to separate them sometimes.

The background unit in a pair won't gain EXP if they don't strike an enemy. They can still gain EXP if they perform a dual strike, but a much reduced rate.

Tenck

Well they will still get EXP if they attack, but I don't see them attacking as often as I'd like. You can also switch them before you kill someone to grant most of the EXP, but then you run into the problem of probably having your unit killed. I keep them separated to maximize damage in the later part of the chapter, when you're not likely to get surrounded by like 5 enemy units.

The background unit in a pair won't gain EXP if they don't strike an enemy. They can still gain EXP if they perform a dual strike, but a much reduced rate.

My favourite is when someone has a Seed of Trust in their inventory.

They'll get XP, but only when they jump in to follow up on an attack by the primary unit.

Well they will still get EXP if they attack, but I don't see them attacking as often as I'd like. You can also switch them before you kill someone to grant most of the EXP, but then you run into the problem of probably having your unit killed. I keep them separated to maximize damage in the later part of the chapter, when you're not likely to get surrounded by like 5 enemy units.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna give it a try.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've only just started, but please tell me the story goes interesting places. Because right now it's everything but.

I've only just started, but please tell me the story goes interesting places. Because right now it's everything but.
The story itself is pretty standard RPG fare. Serviceable, but nothing outstanding. The real meat is the character interaction, specifically through support conversations.

Moonlight

Banned
It goes in one particularly interesting direction somewhere at the mid-point, but it'd be dishonest for me to claim that the main story is particularly impressive or interesting. Because it's not. What I took away from Awakening, in terms of writing, wasn't the plot, but the character dynamics and supports.

Metroidvania

The story itself is pretty standard RPG fare. Serviceable, but nothing outstanding. The real meat is the character interaction, specifically through support conversations.

Yeah, there are some oddly specific interactions between certain support convos that really highlight facets of characters that aren't Chrom or the MU.

Main story is as described above. There's some interesting aspects, but nothing super innovative or anything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cheers. Glad the character stuff is good then.

Kurtofan

I love this game already.

Question: Some green merchant appeared and was selling a super expensive item to make characters change class once they reach level 10, when I left the merchant disappeared with his special items, should I have bought it?

Moonlight

Banned
It doesn't really matter, because they'll be made easily available in due time, but you should consider grabbing the rare items when you can. Particularly stat boost items like Speedwings or Dragonshields.

I love this game already.

Question: Some green merchant appeared and was selling a super expensive item to make characters change class once they reach level 10, when I left the merchant disappeared with his special items, should I have bought it?
You shouldn't have to worry too much about promoting early on. By the time your characters need to start changing class, you should have some from various fights, chests, etc. And eventually regular stores will start selling them, so you can buy as many as you want.

But if you have the money, I'd buy it next time you come across it. If a traveling merchant was selling them, that means it was on sale. And unless you plan on doing absolutely no extra fights, money won't be a real issue in the game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a miiverse community for this game? Can't find anything, but the system is not very transparent

Edit: I am asking because there is a Luigis Mansion 2 community, not because I think there is miiverse on 3ds, lol

NeonZ

Unfortunately, Est and Catria have been exactly like Eldigan. Not sure if it's the same for Katarina, I believe she does have a line similar to Lyn's, but commenting that you look like the avatar from FE2/12 instead of the tactician from 7.

That's just one of her battle conversations when she's an enemy in Rogues and Redeemers (she has a specific conversation with the avatar in each map). She doesn't get a special conversation after Strongest One's Name is done, only a single line. Those aren't meant to be character maps, so the DLC characters that come with them don't really get any focus, unlike the characters you get in the maps where you face past FE characters.

Wiseblade

My Cordelia is pretty lacklustre, but my Sumia is increrdible. She's just about the only character who can keep up with Donnel, who could probably solo the whole game at this point.

I'm new to FE, but having played my fair share of Advance Wars over the years I thought I would breeze through this... how wrong I was! One wrong move can cost you so dearly, I'm really taking my time and planning a few turns ahead rather than trying to steam-roller my way across the battlefield.

Chapter 3 was hitting me hardest (just beat it), but it's taught me a valuable lesson: send an underpowered solo unit out into the cold away from the main pack, and they will die.

Vortex566

Never played a FE game before, so should I play the easy mode? I get OCD when people die in TRPGs anyway, so the idea of them being permanently dead would be too much.

Wiseblade

"I want you to bring me a strand of [Avatar]'s hair."

NOPE

I'M DONE

EDIT: "That's... unbelievably creepy."

YOU TELL HER GAIUS

Tenck

My Cordelia is pretty lacklustre, but my Sumia is increrdible. She's just about the only character who can keep up with Donnel, who could probably solo the whole game at this point.

Oh god what have I done?!!?!? I thought Donnel was going to be a hindrance, so I didn't really pay much attention when trying to recruit him, and he died on me. Next playthrough will be different.

Never played a FE game before, so should I play the easy mode? I get OCD when people die in TRPGs anyway, so the idea of them being permanently dead would be too much.

Characters die pretty easily in the beginning, so you're probably gonna hate the game if you don't do casual mode.

Conor 419

Banned
Played this game for like, 8 hours, yesterday. I'm loving it so much, the castle siege mission where you're defending Emmeryn was impeccably good. Does anyone have advice on how I can get tard characters like Ricken an Donnel to catch up with my higher levelled characters?

Oh god what have I done?!!?!? I thought Donnel was going to be a hindrance, so I didn't really pay much attention when trying to recruit him, and he died on me. Next playthrough will be different.
He's only good during the middle part. Everyone else surpasses him eventually.

Chrom

So, does anyone know what sprite is that suppose to be in the Others SpotPass category?

It's the Gold Knight from Fire Emblem Gaiden.

Edit: It's also the sprite for Paladin in FE1.

Is there a miiverse community for this game? Can't find anything, but the system is not very transparent

Edit: I am asking because there is a Luigis Mansion 2 community, not because I think there is miiverse on 3ds, lol

No, I don't believe so. They only started making Miiverse communities with Luigi's Mansion, and I haven't seen anything beyond that.

Wiseblade

WHAT

NO

THAT'S LIKE FE101

There'sa like a general rule that the weaker someone is when you recruit them, the stronger they'll become later on. Donnel is just following on the footsteps of characters like Rebecca and Ross from the GBA games of "initially weak farmhand who becomes really strong fast".

That's probably why you have to make donnel grow a level to recruit him. To show that despite the hard work of babying him around initially, the payoff will eventually be worth it.

They what? How?

Chrom

Yeah, exactly. Donnel's pretty good in the beginning but ultimately he's far from the most viable unit in the game.

Owain is my husbando, STAY AWAY.
owain.png

O.O I wonder how many girls actually play srpgs and especially something as niche(although this game is far more accessible than previous iterations) as Fire Emblem :)

Duster

Zavvi still haven't managed to deliver it, this is the first and last time I pre-order with them.
But hey I've already had to wait months for the European release so what's a few more days.

NeonZ

"Middle part"? Only if you define "middle part" as the entire main game. He only really falls behind in late DLC chapters. You won't be maxing a bunch of stats with most characters (aside from maybe Donnel himself and maybe some second gen set ups) before that due to the high caps in this game.

They what? How?

Each character has personal cap modifiers on top of the classes' own max stats. Donnel's personal caps are str +1, mag-1, spd-1, skl-1, luck +3, def +1, res-1. His best stat is luck, which isn't really that useful, especially in the DLC content due to Limit Break. So, by the time everyone is maxing stats, Donnel won't be as good as most characters. He also has more limited class selection to add up a bunch of skills due to villager taking up a slot of his class set. The classes that he does have are decent enough though.

Now, the difference isn't big, at least compared to other first gen characters (obviously second gen ones are much better). I mean, look at, say, Gregor. His modifiers are str +2, mag-1, spd+0, skl+2, luck -1, def +1, res-2. Really, most 1st gen characters, aside from the bonus chapter ones and a few rare exceptions (like Lon'Qu), just don't have very good caps in general. Outside of the bonus chapter characters, there aren't even any 1st gen units with +4 caps, aside from the avatar itself. At best, you get a +3 in something, but many don't even have that. Also, overall, I'd still place Donnel ahead of Frederick, with his -2 speed modifier and Griffon Rider as the only option for a fast class. Frederick isn't even that good as a defensive unit due to lack of Sol, life taker or any other way to recover health without wasting an action on it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Is this game a lot harder than Valkyria Chronicles?
If you're new to the series (or like myself been on and off with it) you might find it steeper than VC. I remember I was pretty much breezing through VC through acts 8-10. I spent last entire evening replaying chapter 5 of FEA until everybody from my party made it unscratched. On friggin chapter 5!

Despite the mission not really being that hard at all I think I reset on Side Mission 4 more times than any mission in the game, either i'd suffer some bad luck in the first 2 turns or i'd be going really well and then stupidly move a Pegasus barely into range of an archer, it's all those damn walls confusing me I tell ya!

I've ended up making my first delightful couple with Sully and Kellam, this sort of odd couple will make me a silent yet surly terror i'm sure of it.
Meanwhile my main unit man is too busy being bromantic with Chrom to win any lady's heart, I should try and fix that.

Is this game a lot harder than Valkyria Chronicles?

Not that I've finished this yet but the various difficulty options alone should make it trickier than Valkyria.
I'd say that most FE games i've played just about edge out VC on difficulty, I guess that's not a lot harder but I don't often play on hard mode either.

"Middle part"? Only if you define "middle part" as the entire main game. He only really falls behind in late DLC chapters. You won't be maxing a bunch of stats with most characters (aside from maybe Donnel himself) before that due to the high caps in this game.

Each character has personal cap modifiers on top of the classes' cap. Donnel's personal caps are str +1, mag-1, spd-1, skl-1, luck +3, def +1, res-1. His best stat is luck, which isn't really that useful, especially in the DLC content due to Limit Break. So, by the time everyone is maxing stats, Donnel won't be as good as most characters. He also has more limited class selection to add up a bunch of skills due to villager taking up a slot of his class set. The classes that he does have are decent enough though.

Now, the difference isn't big, at least compared to other first gen characters (obviously second gen ones are much better). I mean, look at, say, Gregor. His modifiers are str +2, mag-1, spd+0, skl+2, luck -1, def +1, res-2. Really, most 1st gen characters, aside from the bonus chapter ones and a few rare exceptions (like Lon'Qu), just don't have very good caps in general. Outside of the bonus chapter ones, there aren't even any with +4 caps, aside from the avatar itself. At best, you get a +3 in something, but many don't even have that. And I'd still place Donnel ahead of Frederick, though with his -2 speed modifier and Griffon Rider as the only option for a fast class.

I guess it depends how much extra stuff you do. I haven't beaten the game yet (I'm waiting for the final Prologue character) and a bunch of my characters are already maxed in a lot of areas. I haven't even finished all the DLC that's out yet.

I'd also put Frederick way above Donnel. His speed is easy to get around, and his tank like qualities are much more appealing than anything Donnel has.

Top Bottom