• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

McNum

Well, up to chapter three now. So far, so good. Normal is a little on the easy side for a Fire Emblem. I mean it still gangs up on any unit to have even the slightest chance of losing, but other than that, the enemies don't put up that big a fight yet. Then again, it's only the first few chapters done so far, I'm expecting worse ahead. Still feels a little tutorial-ish in this part of the game.

Went with +Spd/-Luck for my avatar. Seems to work out nice, he's already had the first double attack of the game.

Also I need to suck a little more since Lissa isn't getting enough work. I do like that a basic Heal is worth 25 XP in this game. That will help keep up. Will that ever scale down? Otherwise, units with Staves could be pretty easy to level up in the lategame.

Draxal

I've never had any trouble just pairing him with Kellam or Frederick. They give good strength bonuses.

I think I used Vaike and Frederick, but forging a bronze item is so cheap (I actually prefer to use a log if you have one) that it helps in the initial stage for him.

Sleepy

Can someone explain to me how the pair up system works?

Ha, I actually know this! You can either pair up--have two characters on the same square--or have them fight side by side. Either way they grant bonuses to each other that increase over time, block blows for each other, follow up attacks, and they will build support conversations, with characters that can build relationships.

It is always advisable to have characters side by side or paired.

McNum

When do I need to worry about missable recruits, by the way? So far everyone has joined automatically, and I don't think any of the enemies have been recruitable.

ffdgh

Well, up to chapter three now. So far, so good. Normal is a little on the easy side for a Fire Emblem. I mean it still gangs up on any unit to have even the slightest chance of losing, but other than that, the enemies don't put up that big a fight yet. Then again, it's only the first few chapters done so far, I'm expecting worse ahead. Still feels a little tutorial-ish in this part of the game.

Went with +Spd/-Luck for my avatar. Seems to work out nice, he's already had the first double attack of the game.

Also I need to suck a little more since Lissa isn't getting enough work. I do like that a basic Heal is worth 25 XP in this game. That will help keep up. Will that ever scale down? Otherwise, units with Staves could be pretty easy to level up in the lategame.

It'll start doing 24 and lower eventually. At 10 reclass her to a sage and watch her murder everything.

Moff

When do I need to worry about missable recruits, by the way? So far everyone has joined automatically, and I don't think any of the enemies have been recruitable.

I think all the recruitable enemies say something like they dont agree with what they're doing at the start of the battle. they will fight you until you talk to them with chrom.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ha, I actually know this! You can either pair up--have two characters on the same square--or have them fight side by side. Either way they grant bonuses to each other that increase over time, block blows for each other, follow up attacks, and they will build support conversations, with characters that can build relationships.

It is always advisable to have characters side by side or paired.

But if you paired up with someone only one unit can attack in that pair right?

-Horizon-

I can recall 3 that come to mind
Gaius in a main chapter (I think), Anna in a paralogue (the first time you meet her you don't recruit her, its the second time you meet her that you have to I think), Donnel in a paralogue

Chrom

I think there's a chance the secondary character in the pair will also attack, I assume that chance goes up the better their support rating is?

Right. This chance is affected by supports as well as the sum of the two units' Skill stat. Having the skill called Dual Strike+ on either unit will improve this chance, too.

Clockwork5

Welcome to the party Euro/Aussie GAF. You will love this game, it is just well put together... a complete package. I will second the notion that the only way to play is on classic mode. It will definitely affect your strategy and make the game a bit more challenging, yeah you can always restart the battle if you lose a member, but the ability to use your units as pawns in casual mode would make the game so much easier (less rewarding).

McNum

I think all the recruitable enemies say something like they dont agree with what they're doing at the start of the battle. they will fight you until you talk to them with chrom.

I can recall 3 that come to mind
Gaius in a main chapter (I think), Anna in a paralogue (the first time you meet her you don't recruit her, its the second time you meet her that you have to I think), Donnel in a paralogue
Ah, there's no
Stefan
or
Shinon
situation in this game? For those of you who don't know, I'm referring to the "Buy our strategy guide!" ways you had to recruit those two in Path of Radiance. How anyone ever guessed how to recruit
Shinon
is baffling... "Talk with one character then kill with another."

It's all just "If recruitable, talk to them with Chrom" in this one? That's easy to remember.

Chrom

Ah, there's no
Stefan
or
Shinon
situation in this game? For those of you who don't know, I'm referring to the "Buy our strategy guide!" ways you had to recruit those two in Path of Radiance. How anyone ever guessed how to recruit
Shinon
is baffling... "Talk with one character then kill with another."

It's all just "If recruitable, talk to them with Chrom" in this one? That's easy to remember.

For the most part, yeah. Recruitment methods are very straightforward in this game and the game doesn't try to hide anything from you.

What about three in a line? How does that work out? I'm still really early on in game.

Loving it so far.

It's only with two adjacent units, never more.

Mr E.

It's only with two adjacent units, never more.
Yes I wondered if the guy in the middle of the three would be granted a bonus from either side of him.

Otherwise how does the game decide which pair are(paired)so to speak in a line of 3.

Sorry if my question is daft lol.

Antiwhippy

It's almost fucking insulting.

The art itself is beautiful. But the thing is... jesus christ. It's actually of worse quality than my Madman dealer catalogues.

Yeah, seriously. Very little effort went into that.

Also goddamn RNG. Lissa went from full health to none.

Chrom

So with Europe finally getting in on the fun, looks like this has a really good shot of crossing 1 million ww.

NA sales are like 240k, I believe. Japan's are like 450-500k, can't remember the exact estimate.

Yes I wondered if the guy in the middle of the three would be granted a bonus from either side of him.

Otherwise how does the game decide which pair are(paired)so to speak in a line of 3.

Sorry if my question is daft lol.

Nah, I completely get your question. I honestly don't know myself how the game determines who gets chosen as the partner unit in every case where it's only adjacent people. Obviously there's a priority if the units have a higher support level or if they're paired, but if it's all neutral, I haven't noticed some kind of underlying system in how the game handles it.

I do know, however, that regardless if the other unit is uninvolved in the battle, the attacking unit does receive bonuses just from having that guy next to him, just not the same stat bonuses as the one who's involved in battle together. The more people around with better supports, the better these particular bonuses like additional Hit and Crit.

Antiwhippy

How the heck do you find the DLC on the eShop? Is it even released yet?

Either way the eShop interface is teeeeeeerrible.

Chrom

How the heck do you find the DLC on the eShop? Is it even released yet?

Either way the eShop interface is teeeeeeerrible.

You don't get the DLC directly off the eShop. All it'd do from selecting the DLC on the eShop is send you directly to the title screen of the game.

You have to go to an area called the Outrealm Gate once you complete Chapter 4 to purchase the DLC.

-Horizon-

Stahl died. :(

To restart or not to restart...

Part of me want to just live with my choices.

Live with your choices on your first play through.
Or you can save your current progress to a different save file and restart on the one your on now. That way you have one where he dies and another one where he didn't.

m0t0k1

My RNG luck jeez.I am at chapter 6 now and Sumia is probably my strongest character lol. Keep getting +2 bonus or + 1 on my Chrom and MU while Sumia and Lon Keep getting+5's. I dont Count Frederick he is keeping my bench warm together with his bro Donny.

Sleepy

Thinking of promoting Avatar, but the only class that sounds good is Dark Mage. Not really in love with Chrom's promoted classes.

ffdgh

Thinking of promoting Avatar, but the only class that sounds good is Dark Mage. Not really in love with Chrom's promoted classes.

What you're describing sound like reclassing instead of promoting. Are you using a second seal(blue) or the master seal?(gold)

Nohar

I finally got it! My precious!...

I play on Hard mode, with Classic mode enabled. I reached chapter 4 so far (didn't start it yet - also, it seems that I unlocked the first side mission ?). Everyone is at level 5 or so (except Sumia, who just joined; nice starting speed stat by the way). Vaike got incredibly lucky with his level-ups, with all his stats leveling-up twice in a row (barring Magic and Res). On the other hand, Lissa just don't want to gain any point in Magic... Oh well.

ffdgh

Alright then I suggest promoting both chrom and robin to great lord and grandmaster respectively if you have enough master seals. Oh and promoted classes get skills at 5 and 15.

It's the Gold Knight from Fire Emblem Gaiden.

Edit: It's also the sprite for Paladin in FE1.

Ah, so I guess Camus gets the spotlight.

Well, almost time for me to get started on my first game, probably on Normal/Classic. And I know I'll spend a long time fussing over the looks and stats of my avatar... So, I'll just ask a stats question here.

I'm thinking of going +Speed/-Luck for my avatar. No class I've seen in Fire Emblem doesn't want higher Speed, since double attacking is nice, but is -Luck a good idea? -Def, -Res or maybe even -Skill could be options, too. -Str or -Mag might work, if I were to focus my avatar on one or the other, and I'm not going to pick -HP, it seems unwise.

My current run has that same asset/flaw combo and it's working out nicely. Being able to double early is pretty great and the lower luck hasn't really affected me yet (well not yet I guess).

Oxx

I've been super-sloppy in the opening stages. Forgetting to bring the right people into battle and leaving vulnerable characters in dangerous situations. No losses yet, but I'm due.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Think I'm going to stick with with Berserker for Gerome instead of Wyvern Lord. That native 56 strength cap is just too hard to pass up, plus I'll take the better speed from Berserker over the Skill from Wyvern Lord.

Axefaire, Swordbreaker, Sol, Vantage, and Armsthrift.

Considered Renewal over Sol since that's guaranteed and a 37 skill cap is going to be roughly 1/3 with Sol. Figure multiple fights per turn makes it worthwhile though, especially with a brave axe. And Vantage is there in case things go awry with Sol, but I could replace it with a number of things (lancebreaker, axebreaker, deliverer, renewal, eventually limit break).

I'm pretty happy with how he turned out though. That's going to be 71 strength with Limit Break + Axefaire, before any pair ups or rally :lol

Think I'm going to stick with with Berserker for Gerome instead of Wyvern Lord. That native 56 strength cap is just too hard to pass up, plus I'll take the better speed from Berserker over the Skill from Wyvern Lord.

Wyverns are pretty bad in this game. Not really worth having it as someone's end class.

That's why I really wish Cherche had different reclass options, so she would be a better unit instead of having to be stuck riding Minerva.

Top Bottom