• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

McNum

Well, almost time for me to get started on my first game, probably on Normal/Classic. And I know I'll spend a long time fussing over the looks and stats of my avatar... So, I'll just ask a stats question here.

I'm thinking of going +Speed/-Luck for my avatar. No class I've seen in Fire Emblem doesn't want higher Speed, since double attacking is nice, but is -Luck a good idea? -Def, -Res or maybe even -Skill could be options, too. -Str or -Mag might work, if I were to focus my avatar on one or the other, and I'm not going to pick -HP, it seems unwise.

Draxal

Donnel's stat caps are the lowest in the game. In other words, Donnel at his best is worse than everyone else at their best.

He's still a serviceable unit if you want to use him though. Everyone in this game is viable.

Donnel's best attribute is that he's a galeforce daddy.

Now, the difference isn't big, at least compared to other first gen characters (obviously second gen ones are much better). I mean, look at, say, Gregor. His modifiers are str +2, mag-1, spd+0, skl+2, luck -1, def +1, res-2. Really, most 1st gen characters, aside from the bonus chapter ones and a few rare exceptions (like Lon'Qu), just don't have very good caps in general. Outside of the bonus chapter characters, there aren't even any 1st gen units with +4 caps, aside from the avatar itself. At best, you get a +3 in something, but many don't even have that. Also, overall, I'd still place Donnel ahead of Frederick, with his -2 speed modifier and Griffon Rider as the only option for a fast class. Frederick isn't even that good as a defensive unit due to lack of Sol, life taker or any other way to recover health without wasting an action on it.

Gregor's skill set is 10 times better then Donnels.

NeonZ

I guess it depends how much extra stuff you do. I haven't beaten the game yet (I'm waiting for the final Prologue character) and a bunch of my characters are already maxed in a lot of areas. I haven't even finished all the DLC that's out yet.

In that case, you'll just stomp all over the final story chapter though. It wasn't made to be finished after all that. Even in Lunatic, most enemies don't have maxed stats, aside from Grima himself, so Donnel paired up with someone else should still be able to double most units that appear there besides a few exceptions (the Swordmasters aren't getting doubled by him though). And that's lunatic. Anything lower than that should be easy.

Gregor's skill set is 10 times better then Donnels.

Hah. You're right. I had forgotten that Gregor had access to the myrmidon tree.

Donnel/Nowi is pretty much the best choice for Nah as Underdog actually works really really well with Manakete.
Maybe, but I wouldn't pass that on over Aptitude.

Well, in that case you'll just stomp all over the final story chapter though. It wasn't made to be finished after all that. Even in Lunatic, most enemies don't have maxed stats, so Donnel paired up with someone else should still be able to double most units that appear there.
I don't think he's a bad unit or anything, I was just speaking from a technical viewpoint. I personally don't even really care about stats that much, I use who I like from a character/design standpoint.

I'm trying not to consider things like stats for my group. Sticking with the prettiest people.
See above.

That's one thing I love about this game, you can't screw yourself over for using who you like. You can make an army out of practically any combination of characters and you'd still be fine.

Sleepy

Characters seem to level up really quickly...I have a few that are 10+ and I am considering switching classes, adding classes. What are some of the first characters to change? I have also opened the Outland Gate, Barracks, and I am starting to import Spotpass teams--but holy shit there are fucking tons of them!

I am trying to take it slow and learn all the game mechanics, but this game throws so much at you (I should state that I normally love SRPGs until this starts to happen and then I get overwhelmed and quit)...What do I have to absolutely pay attention to? and what can I ignore for now?

That's one thing I love about this game, you can't screw yourself over for using who you like. You can make an army out of practically any combination characters and you'd still be fine.

Well, that is reassuring.

Draxal

Hah. You're right. I had forgotten that Gregor had access to the myrmidon tree.

Ayup, stat caps don't matter much to me as by the time you get to limit breaker it's a 1-4% differential at cap, skill sets do matter to me and although Donnel has one of the best classes (merc/hero) chain he also has a shitty class for end game skills(villager) and a redundant one in (fighter/warrior).

Maybe, but I wouldn't pass that on over Aptitude.

Aptitude's great for a midgame character, but Nah's pretty much endgame so she should have no trouble maxing her stats. This is all preference though, I really don't think there's any wrong way to play this game, which makes it better then previous fire emblems (much much more accessible).

NeonZ

I don't think he's a bad unit or anything, I was just speaking from a technical viewpoint. I personally don't even really care about stats that much, I use who I like from a character/design standpoint.

Well, I'm also speaking from a technical point of view. Donnel's shortcomings only really hit hard once you go beyond the main story chapters. That's where his caps and the lack of a real third class branch will hurt him. And, if you overlevel in the main story, to the point where other characters start maxing out and branching out to get more skills in other classes, anyone will do (well, not considering Lunatic + though, since I'm not bothering with that mode due to how badly designed it is - or not designed, because the problem is that it's just Lunatic with enemies with randomly selected extra skills- so I can't speak for it).

Well, I'm also speaking from a technical point of view. Donnel's shortcomings only really hit hard once you go beyond the main story chapters. That's where his caps and the lack of a real third class branch will hurt him.
That's why I said his best is worse than everyone else's.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that Donnel's bigger problem is his class options, and not his stats. He has some unfortunate -1 cap modifiers, but he's far from unusable compared to other first gen characters.

And that's really the only fair way to compare, because by the time he's not great anymore, your primary party is basically going to be the second gen characters (which are all around better than all the first gen characters) plus a few of the very best first gen ones.

Jintor

Finally booted it up

you're telling me I can make a girly man but I can't use girl voice options? What's the point then. Time to go manly man i guess.

Stupid lack of lesbian :sdburton marriages

Tenck

This game makes me so mad sometimes. Less than 10 turns into a battle and I lose 4 people (including my own character I made). Gonna be a long day.

Draxal

I agree that Donnel's bigger problem is his class options, and not his stats. He has some unfortunate -1 cap modifiers, but he's far from unusable compared to other first gen characters.

And that's really the only fair way to compare, because by the time he's not great anymore, your primary party is basically going to be the second gen characters (which are all around better than all the first gen characters) plus a few of the very best first gen ones.

Ayup, my only pet peeve of this game is that the kids are the best no matter what (Morgan and his/her sibling will always be your best character no matter what).

I kinda wish I could import my Sorceror Lucina from my Fem Avatar save into my main game save, oh well.

Conor 419

Banned
I think the power the 3DS provides is exactly what I needed to get into the Fire Emblem series, everything is so fluid and pretty, so much effort has gone into making the background environments distinctive with respect to the levels you're playing. The combat animations are awesomely expressive, and work well to characterise your individual units and make you appreciate why you chose them for specific tasks in the first place. Everything else is wonderfully addictive, having a story with a massive number of personalities, of whom any can be lost, is absolutely genius, it can be devestating to lose a character that you've invested much into, although I have to admit it's a shame that plot armour can really break the immersion in this sense. I would knock the PG 13 plot but then it's worth remembering that these games are for kids. I can only dream that they'd cross this series with ASOIAF, combining the dark storyline, the sheer breadth of characters, the houses and factions, the brutality and the scheming with this kind of gameplay is HORRRRRRRRRRRR to think about.

Once again Nintendo knock it out of the park, it's objectively the best title of 2013 so far.

Draxal

I think the power the 3DS provides is exactly what I needed to get into the Fire Emblem series, everything is so fluid and pretty, so much effort has gone into making the background environments distinctive with respect to the levels you're playing. The combat animations are awesomely expressive, and work well to characterise your individual units and make you appreciate why you chose them for specific tasks in the first place. Everything else is wonderfully addictive, having a story with a massive number of personalities, of whom any can be lost, is absolutely genius, it can be devestating to lose a character that you've invested much into, although I have to admit it's a shame that plot armour can really break the immersion in this sense. I would knock the PG 13 plot but then it's worth remembering that these games are for kids. I can only dream that they'd cross this series with ASOIAF, combining the number of characters, the houses, the brutality and the scheming with this kind of gameplay is HORRRRRRRRRRRR to think about.

Once again Nintendo knock it out of the park, it's objectively the best title of 2013 so far.

FE 4's (Seisen no Keifu) plot is like the original song of ice and fire. But yeah, the presentation values in this game are the best for a fire emblem by far.

zroid

Banned
Whatever problems I think a lot of people have with the gameplay mechanics compared with older FEs, I do agree that the amount of polish in the UI (like holy shit those tooltips are amazing) and all the other aspects of the AV presentation compensate a lot (not to mention to completely insane amount of content). This is definitely the perfect Fire Emblem for introducing oneself to the series, and I honestly believe the simplified systems are partly a result of an intentional effort along these lines. I'm ridiculously excited for the next 3DS entry, which I think will incorporate a lot of the complexities removed from this game, while retaining all the good stuff. It will be glorious.

Sleepy

This game makes me so mad sometimes. Less than 10 turns into a battle and I lose 4 people (including my own character I made). Gonna be a long day.

I feel ya. I am getting absolutely fucked by the RNG today. I have had four characters gain +1 in only one stat so far.

which I think will incorporate a lot of the complexities removed from this game, while retaining all the good stuff. It will be glorious.

Great a MORE complex FE...just what I need. ;) Is there a strat. guide for this game?

Sane_Man

Is there a way to repair weapons in this game? I'm like 6 chapters in and haven't found the option yet.

I am truly loving the game.

Chrom

Is there a way to repair weapons in this game? I'm like 6 chapters in and haven't found the option yet.

I am truly loving the game.

You use a Hammerne staff to repair weapons, but it breaks as soon as you use it. Because Hammerne is a relatively rare item, you generally don't have common, convenient mean of repairing weapons. You're expected to buy new weapons when your old ones break.

Sleepy

Okay, so here is another weapon queston: Is it worth it to forge weapons? It seems I can only forge weapons that have a use limit.

Chrom

Okay, so here is another weapon queston: Is it worth it to forge weapons? It seems I can only forge weapons that have a use limit.

It's worth it if you can afford it.

Any weapon with a monetary value can be forged, except for a tome called Mire, I believe.

Jintor

Gonna take some time getting used to not having to sit a unit next to a unit for a bajillion turns to level up those support convos. Third mission and I've already got some C-ranks available, huzzah! And I haven't even formally been introduced to the support system!

Sleepy

Thanks.

Gonna take some time getting used to not having to sit a unit next to a unit for a bajillion turns to level up those support convos. Third mission and I've already got some C-ranks available, huzzah! And I haven't even formally been introduced to the support system!

Before chapter four I had Chrom and my avatar already at S rank.

ffdgh

That depends...If you have a unit with arms thrift which may not expend your weapon use depending on their luck stat x 2 so with high luck or 50 luck, they'll never run out of uses.

they can also be given to weak units so they can pack more of a punch.

Go for the first two options at a forge as crit isn't all that important.

Draxal

It's worth it to forge a cheap bronze item for Donnel so he can actually kill stuff in the initial villager stage.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got the game. Also have the preorder artbook, which sucks.

Fun so far. Hard is kinda hard, but I like it.

Also wish we can select the main character's personality too. So bland.

ffdgh

Got the game. Also have the preorder artbook, which sucks.

Fun so far. Hard is kinda hard, but I like it.

Also wish we can select the main character's personality too. So bland.

Hmm? Get some supports with him/her when you can. They're not bland lol.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's worth it to forge a cheap bronze item for Donnel so he can actually kill stuff in the initial villager stage.

I've never had any trouble just pairing him with Kellam or Frederick. They give good strength bonuses.

That depends...If you have a unit with arms thrift which may not expend your weapon use depending on their luck stat x 2 so with high luck or 50 luck, they'll never run out of uses.

they can also be given to weak units so they can pack more of a punch.

Go for the first two options at a forge as crit isn't all that important.

Actually hit rate is really the least important. Might is by far the most important though. I'd say max that, then fill the rest with crit. By the time you're actually forging weapons that aren't junk you should have near-100% hit rates all the time anyway.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'll take it off your hands.

And what ffdgh said, they get amusing very quickly.

If you want it you can honestly have it, if I knew you and can hand it off easily. :p Not the best quality artbook I have, that's for sure. Even the dark soul's preorder artbook was better.

Ah well, it's still a free preorder bonus.

Can someone explain to me how the pair up system works?

Jintor

It's almost fucking insulting.

The art itself is beautiful. But the thing is... jesus christ. It's actually of worse quality than my Madman dealer catalogues.

Top Bottom