• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Draxal

Nope, not when Olivia swayed Chrom with her sparkly feminine charms.

What kinda weapons do you have on her?

I got Gradivus, Shockstick, Brave Lance and a Killer Bow. All forged.

edit: well duh except Gradivus >_>

Ragnell and a forged Tomahawk(will switch to a Hellswath once I get one), forged Brave Sword/Axe.

Hero using Sol/Armsthrift/Limitbreaker/Galeforce/Swordfaire. Father was a male avatar with Str/Mag weakness so she's hits really really hard.

ohlawd

Ragnell and a forged Tomahawk(will switch to a Hellswath once I get one), forged Brave Sword/Axe.

Hero using Sol/Armsthrift/Limitbreaker/Galeforce/Swordfaire. Father was a male avatar with Str/Mag weakness so she's hits really really hard.

Cool. Ragnell is so great since I dislike using Levin Swords.

TWILT

Banned

Oh cool, I have a similar setup (exact same skills and class) with Lon'qu as her dad. Dat speed and skill.

fatty

Need some help from the Fire Emblem veterans.

Just recently purchased Awakening (yay!).

The 'problem' is I'm still playing the first Fire Emblem (that came out in the US) on the GBA. I'm currently on Chapter 24 on Eliwood's story. This is a long game. I like it, but should I keep going? The character's are leveling up (most are around lvl 17), but it's kind of the same stuff so far. Do things change up quite a bit if I change classes? Should I keep playing to finish the story? Move on to Sacred Stones? The GCN or Wii ones? Awakening?

Would like to hear your input. Thanks.

The only one I got was the free one they did a while back. I've bee trying this one battle of the risen that randomly appear on the map. It's working so far, but I'm only working one of the two magic users.

You can still grind in the Marth one until the others become available. I can tell you that I, and probably many others, spent way too much time on that one map to lvl grind units when it first got released here in NA. The units there are not that hard, especially once you do it a bunch of times, and because you have allies you can make them weaken some enemies and use one of your magic users to finish them off. A smaller reason to use that map is because there are two shiny tiles that always randomly give any character who stops there: equipment, EXP, or (when paired) relationship bonus. So you can earn easy EXP if your lucky enough. This was of course until the spotpass characters and the EXP DLC showed up, which provided much better opportunities to lvl up your units.

Also, an alternative but expensive method is if your magic units are able to use staffs, buy a bunch of rescue staffs (if available) and use it on someone to gain around 40 EXP everytime without having to battle.

Another bonus of the first DLC map, is that there are two villages you can visit that always hand out some nifty stuff. It could be crap (a Log) or it could be some legacy weapon or a stat up item.

Anteo

Another bonus of the first DLC map, is that there are two villages you can visit that always hand out some nifty stuff. It could be crap (a Log) or it could be some legacy weapon or a stat up item.

It seems like you get 2x the weapon mastery using that one. So is not that bad.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

The 'problem' is I'm still playing the first Fire Emblem (that came out in the US) on the GBA. I'm currently on Chapter 24 on Eliwood's story. This is a long game. I like it, but should I keep going? The character's are leveling up (most are around lvl 17), but it's kind of the same stuff so far. Do things change up quite a bit if I change classes? Should I keep playing to finish the story? Move on to Sacred Stones? The GCN or Wii ones? Awakening?

The stories are stand-alone, except Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn which should be played in order if possible. I'm not sure if that's the answer you're looking for or not.

If you're not really enjoying it or don't care to see how it plays out (FE games aren't really known for their stories) moving to another game wouldn't hurt. And the base gameplay is pretty much the same across all of them with twists here and there, Awakening probably changes it up more than any of them due to pair up and the dual system, as well as simplifying a lot of things (like supports).

Gestahl

You're a few chapters from the end
(of Eliwood's scenario)
so you should probably just keep going with that.

-KRS-

Damn I was going to pick this up today but it was sold out or they never got any copies everywhere I looked. I don't think they printed that many copies for Sweden. :(

I'll probably have to order it online or something. I don't want to download games if I can get a physical release.

Edit: shit now I'm looking online and some of the places that are sold out says that the next shipment wont be until May 16th... and the ones that still have stock are the overpriced ones... great!

Draxal

You can still grind in the Marth one until the others become available. I can tell you that I, and probably many others, spent way too much time on that one map to lvl grind units when it first got released here in NA. The units there are not that hard, especially once you do it a bunch of times, and because you have allies you can make them weaken some enemies and use one of your magic users to finish them off. A smaller reason to use that map is because there are two shiny tiles that always randomly give any character who stops there: equipment, EXP, or (when paired) relationship bonus. So you can earn easy EXP if your lucky enough. This was of course until the spotpass characters and the EXP DLC showed up, which provided much better opportunities to lvl up your units.

Also, an alternative but expensive method is if your magic units are able to use staffs, buy a bunch of rescue staffs (if available) and use it on someone to gain around 40 EXP everytime without having to battle.

I honestly prefer the second map (the Roy one) as you can pretty much have one unit sweep the board in one turn except for Roy if you fly that unit right above Marth (if they can survive and kill their entire team).

McNum

Um, huh at Chrom/Sumia's B support.
Pie? Also Chrom complaining more about the pie that noticing she just took his underwear. I hope those aren't the secret spice...
Subtle she ain't.

And I need to stop hogging all the kills, but what can you do when the enemy goes all lemming on the Enemy Phase? "It's the AVATAR! EVERYONE! GANG UP!" A bunch of critical hits later... Does Maribelle give a bonus to criticals when paired up with someone? Or was Anna just happy I bought the first pack of DLC sight unseen already?

cackhyena

Does forging help with longevity of a weapon at all? I mean, am I dumping money for nothing since it's gonna break anyway? Played for about 7 hours now and haven't touched forging.

Should I hold out for marriage?My avatar has reached rank A with Sully after a few missions.

Well you could hold out in case some other girl joins later and catches your eye.

Um, huh at Chrom/Sumia's B support.
Pie? Also Chrom complaining more about the pie that noticing she just took his underwear. I hope those aren't the secret spice...
Subtle she ain't.

And I need to stop hogging all the kills, but what can you do when the enemy goes all lemming on the Enemy Phase? "It's the AVATAR! EVERYONE! GANG UP!" A bunch of critical hits later... Does Maribelle give a bonus to criticals when paired up with someone? Or was Anna just happy I bought the first pack of DLC sight unseen already?

Well, she could be providing some extra skill that could increase your critical rate. You don't actually see a critical bonus from support bonuses till at least level 4 or an A rank support.

Chrom

Does forging help with longevity of a weapon at all? I mean, am I dumping money for nothing since it's gonna break anyway? Played for about 7 hours now and haven't touched forging.

Forging does not affect weapon longevity in any way. It's very useful if you know how to get around that, though.

Does it matter what birthday I put for my avatar character (Robin)? Is it like the other game where characters would get bonuses depending on Affinity?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does it matter what birthday I put for my avatar character (Robin)? Is it like the other game where characters would get bonuses depending on Affinity?

Affinity is gone in this game. Birthdays just pop up in game and give bonuses.

Today is actually one character's birthday that joins around mid-game.

Oxx

I wasn't really sure how to proceed with the free dlc map. Just slaughter all the heroes? Felt a bit weird.

Your almost done, so just keep going a little further.

Sacred Stones is in my opinion the second weakest FE game released overseas after Shadow Dragon. However, depending on your taste, you might find enjoyment while playing the game and it does have a similar map overview that enables you to move around and grind just like Awakening

FE9-FE10 is pretty much Ike's story, and by all accounts both are really good games that any FE fan should at least playthrough once. However, there really isn't that much similarity between them and Awakening.

I honestly prefer the second map (the Roy one) as you can pretty much have one unit sweep the board in one turn except for Roy if you fly that unit right above Marth (if they can survive and kill their entire team).

The one downside is that you still have to pay for Roy's DLC, which unless someone is planning to buy all of them or just the pack, isn't really worth anyone's money.

Solune

I have two magic users that are seriously lagging behind in level, I have no way to figure out how to catch them back up. Any suggestions?

Pair up your strongest units with your magic users , most enemies don't even have high RES so damage isn't the main concern in main story chapters so extra speed/skill boosts for AVD and attacking twice, as well as Dual Strike chance should eliminate chances of your mage getting hit if you play smartly.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought this guys without knowing much and played the first 30 minutes and have a question. I choose agility as my advantage and magic as my disadvantage and I have noticed my created character is some kind of mage? Am I able to change this class in the game or are you purposely this class? I don't like my personal character being a mage in RPGs generally you see.

Just bought this guys without knowing much and played the first 30 minutes and have a question. I choose agility as my advantage and magic as my disadvantage and I have noticed my created character is some kind of mage? Am I able to change this class in the game or are you purposely this class? I don't like my personal character being a mage in RPGs generally you see.

Your starting class is always a sword and magic using class. You of course don't have to use magic one bit and can just exclusively use swords.

You are able to change classes later in the game with an item and be whatever class you want! (With gender restrictions)

Sendou

You can reclass yourself when you hit lvl 10. Tactician is a mage/melee hybrid class.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

You always start as a tactician, and that class is proficient with swords and tomes. If you don't want to use magic, you can trade off the tome to someone else. And the avatar has access to every class (except those exclusive to the opposite gender) so you can class change to anything you want with a second seal.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
My 3DS just flashed blue. Seems the first Bonus Box DLC content just arrived.

ohlawd

You start out as a Tactician no matter what and is able to wield tomes and swords. What you choose as your asset/flaw don't affect what class you start with and only affect your stat caps and growths.

You're able to change what class you're in through the use of Master Seals (promotes them, lets you decide between two stronger classes) or Second Seals (reclasses them into another base class), both at lvl 10.

Your avatar has access to every class available to their gender so you have a ton of options to choose from.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the response guys! I have to say that I am really loving this and I can see why I have seen so much word by mouth on this and caved in and bought this digitally (UK here) and I was happy to pay the full price since I am doing my part to wanting this series to continue because from my glimpse already this is a pretty interesting universe. I can't believe how much love I am having with my 3DS recently, Nintendo has brought me back <3

Top Bottom