• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

ohlawd

Good god some S-level support conversations are brutal. "Yeah, I like you I guess, let's do it. You'll always be my second choice, tho." To hell with strategic pairings, I can't bring myself to create loveless marriages. Or marry Nowi to anyone apart from Donnel or Ricken. Ancient dragon or not, it's still creepy, people. Fire Emblem, serious business.

eff that. I very much enjoyed having Nowi as a waifu. She is bangin'.

Good god some S-level support conversations are brutal. "Yeah, I like you I guess, let's do it. You'll always be my second choice, tho." To hell with strategic pairings, I can't bring myself to create loveless marriages. Or marry Nowi to anyone apart from Donnel or Ricken. Ancient dragon or not, it's still creepy, people. Fire Emblem, serious business.

Seeing as they would be the kids in that relationship it would just be creepy the other way round.
I love my dragon daughters.

Wiseblade

I'm thinking about going in the opposite direction and Pairing Nowi up with Gregor. At least he seems to treat her like a crazy old woman.

Sotha Sil

Seeing as they would be the kids in that relationship it would just be creepy the other way round.
I love my dragon daughters.

Well, she's clearly still a kid, so they're a better fit, but it's still a wee bit creepy, yeah. Nah even points it out in her father/daughter support conversation. I guess that's Japan for you.

Is the Astra skill (5 1/2 damage hits) something that hits each time or is there a percentage chance of it maybe hitting?
What if your speed is +5 of an enemy unit? Would Astra hit twice, giving you 10 hits?

demidar

Is the Astra skill (5 1/2 damage hits) something that hits each time or is there a percentage chance of it maybe hitting?
What if your speed is +5 of an enemy unit? Would Astra hit twice, giving you 10 hits?

If you were to strike twice, Astra is rolled for each strike independently. Each of the five Astra strikes roll for hit and crits independently as well. However, if an enemy procs Astra against you, a supporting unit will make one roll for Dual Guard against ALL Astra attacks, success means all Astra attacks are nullified.

Labadal

Just completed chapter 9. That ending was very interesting.

The new characters you get seem great. My love for monks in video games is big.
I think I've only missed one character so far, unfortunately, that characters was a thief. Hope I can get another one sometime.

If you were to strike twice, Astra is rolled for each strike independently. Each of the five Astra strikes roll for hit and crits independently as well. However, if an enemy procs Astra against you, a supporting unit will make one roll for Dual Guard against ALL Astra attacks, success means all Astra attacks are nullified.

Ahhh gotcha!
That all makes sense now, thanks a lot :)

Sotha Sil

Just completed chapter 9. That ending was very interesting.

The new characters you get seem great. My love for monks in video games is big.
I think I've only missed one character so far, unfortunately, that characters was a thief. Hope I can get another one sometime.

A guy thief or a lady thief? Cause you may have missed one of the best character in the game. Which would be sad.

Oxx

My B-team got destroyed on Rogues and Redeemers 1.

I brought the A-team back and strapped the best weapons to them and romped through it.

Looks like I'm going to have to ride my maxed-out characters to get to Limit-Break.

Almost got that Galeforce for Olivia to give to Inigo. What should I give him from Lon'qu? Astra or Swordfaire? Or maybe something else? I'm thinking Swordfaire is more useful early on, and I can get Astra pretty easily later on(only level 5 Swordmaster anyway)

demidar

Almost got that Galeforce for Olivia to give to Inigo. What should I give him from Lon'qu? Astra or Swordfaire? Or maybe something else? I'm thinking Swordfaire is more useful early on, and I can get Astra pretty easily later on(only level 5 Swordmaster anyway)

Swordfaire sounds good, but it would probably get replaced if you're chasing the hardest content like Apotheosis.

The only character I've ever missed was
Walhart
on my current run because I went into his mission with an overpowered party and he impaled himself on Cynthia's lance before I could meet his recruitment requirements.

Ah well, he's not that that great of a character anyway.

Espada

Man, Bow Knight is a really lame job. I'm looking at the stats on Donnel right now and they're lower than when he was a Hero or Warrior. The only real upside is that he can use Armsthrift to abuse all those delicious bows like Parthia and Yewfelle.

A quick question though: Do paired up units count as 'adjacent'? I ask because I have Donnel paired up with Tharja at the moment and he's getting crits up the wazoo. Is this because the Anathema on Tharja?

demidar

Man, Bow Knight is a really lame job. I'm looking at the stats on Donnel right now and they're lower than when he was a Hero or Warrior. The only real upside is that he can use Armsthrift to abuse all those delicious bows like Parthia and Yewfelle.

A quick question though: Do paired up units count as 'adjacent'? I ask because I have Donnel paired up with Tharja at the moment and he's getting crits up the wazoo. Is this because the Anathema on Tharja?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think 'back' units have their skills active unless it's Dual Support+, Dual Guard+ or Dual Strike+.

Mother of fuck the Inigo paralogue is hard as balls. What level am I supposed to be on? Those flying units are raping me to hell and back, and they're a mix of magic and physical and I barely have any units that can take both.

Jinjo

Man this game. Finished it twice, one normal, one hard. 100 hours on the clock (accidently deleted my first playthrough midway through lol), started on lunatic now. Chapter 3 is insane. Any tips?

Bit disappointed with the DLC. Bought the Rogue & Redeemers pack and found out the characters look exactly like their Spotpass version, was hoping for unique reskins, what gives?

McNum

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think 'back' units have their skills active unless it's Dual Support+, Dual Guard+ or Dual Strike+.
I think, and I'm not 100% sure either, that all passive skills are still in effect, but the back unit cannot activate any active skills. So your -faires, -breakers, +Stats, Armsthrift, and such will still be in use, but you can't activate Astra, Sol, Lethality and such, nor will Galeforce or Lifetaker trigger after the fight.

Also something I noticed today with Galeforce.

- Sumia attacks and kills an opponent. Galeforce triggers.
- Sumia attacks and kills a second opponent. No Galeforce, as expected.
- Olivia dances to Sumia, Suma gets her turn refreshed.
- Sumia attacks and kills a third opponent. Galeforce does NOT trigger.

Shouldn't Galeforce have triggered there? I mean for balance it's probably good that it didn't, but it also means that Olivia's Dance doesn't favor Galeforce using units and it might be better to give the extra turn to someone else.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member

The S rank conversations in general are just random unless it's with the Avatar or implied pairs. When I married Tharja to Donnel, it was more like a willing servant to Master thing at first then, "Hey I suddenly really like you, let's get married." At least if A-rank gave more of a romantic approach it would make sense. Olivia is the only character so far I've seen have this because when I couldn't decide who to marry her to, Libra and Donnel were just so sweet.

It's too bad you can't get more conversations after you hit the max support rank. I want Thanrja to fawn over me again. ;_;

Shouldn't Galeforce have triggered there? I mean for balance it's probably good that it didn't, but it also means that Olivia's Dance doesn't favor Galeforce using units and it might be better to give the extra turn to someone else.

Doesn't the skill description say that Galeforce and Lifetaker only work once per turn? They meant the entire turn : P

Bit disappointed with the DLC. Bought the Rogue & Redeemers pack and found out the characters look exactly like their Spotpass version, was hoping for unique reskins, what gives?

Evidentally, the developers were lazy : (

If you ignore the character rewards, the DLC is pretty great (ironically).

Wunder

Hey guys! Might finally be getting a 3DSXL + Fire Emblem in the coming weeks. Wanted to come in here and ask if there was anything I should be aware of before jumping in. I've read the OT and plan on playing with permadeath but I was wondering if pairings/marriages are made obvious? I don't want to spend time pairing two people up to find out they can't really progress further than just the pair up bonuses. Is this even an issue?

Anyway looking forward to getting to finally play this and thanks for such an active OT~

Espada

Ah, thanks for the heads up.

Mother of fuck the Inigo paralogue is hard as balls. What level am I supposed to be on? Those flying units are raping me to hell and back, and they're a mix of magic and physical and I barely have any units that can take both.

Gah, I remember having a ton of trouble with that one. An unexpected difficulty spike for sure.

demidar

I think, and I'm not 100% sure either, that all passive skills are still in effect, but the back unit cannot activate any active skills. So your -faires, -breakers, +Stats, Armsthrift, and such will still be in use, but you can't activate Astra, Sol, Lethality and such, nor will Galeforce or Lifetaker trigger after the fight.

Also something I noticed today with Galeforce.

- Sumia attacks and kills an opponent. Galeforce triggers.
- Sumia attacks and kills a second opponent. No Galeforce, as expected.
- Olivia dances to Sumia, Suma gets her turn refreshed.
- Sumia attacks and kills a third opponent. Galeforce does NOT trigger.

If that were true, then Renewal would've triggered when Lissa was in the back, but she still had the same health.

McNum

Doesn't the skill description say that Galeforce and Lifetaker only work once per turn? They meant the entire turn : P.
Hm. they could have spelled that out a little better, then. There's both the global turn and each character's turn. They should have specified as "once per Player Phase" if they wanted to avoid confusion.

And yeah, this is pretty much complaining that a powerful skill isn't overpowered enough, I know.

Trying to get it for Lucina, too, even though it'll be hard to pick what skill to drop there. Still, with Gerome having an awesome +Def modfier, I figure he'll make an excellent physical tank, with Lucina providing the offense. Just thinking if i should go General with him or not. He'll never be fast, but there is such a thing as too slow... On the other hand 65 Def with Limit Breaker is nothing to sneeze at.

Got Tiki? Give her a Dragonstone+ and a Pair Up partner that boosts her defense, and use her as the tank. If you don't have Tiki yet... then what are you doing in Inigo's paralogue? It's easily one of the hardest child paralogues.

If that were true, then Renewal would've triggered when Lissa was in the back, but she still had the same health.

No, because Renewal is an active skill, like Galeforce is. See the icon pop up? Active skill. No icon? Passive. You have to be up front for Renewal to trigger.

Markun

I've read the OT and plan on playing with permadeath but I was wondering if pairings/marriages are made obvious? I don't want to spend time pairing two people up to find out they can't really progress further than just the pair up bonuses. Is this even an issue?

Yeah, the game makes it obvious who you can marry who with and who can support who. If they can get an S rank with each other, those two can tie the knot. The Avatar is especially special because he or she can marry any character that's opposite of the gender you choose because they're the goddamn Avatar.

Have fun with the game! It's wasting all of my time and I'm loving every moment of it.

Wunder

Yeah, the game makes it obvious who you can marry who with and who can support who. If they can get an S rank with each other, those two can tie the knot. The Avatar is especially special because he or she can marry any character that's opposite of the gender you choose because they're the goddamn Avatar.

Have fun with the game! It's wasting all of my time and I'm loving every moment of it.

Thanks man! Looking forward to it, haven't played a Fire Emblem game in agesss

Fisico

Hey guys! Might finally be getting a 3DSXL + Fire Emblem in the coming weeks. Wanted to come in here and ask if there was anything I should be aware of before jumping in. I've read the OT and plan on playing with permadeath but I was wondering if pairings/marriages are made obvious? I don't want to spend time pairing two people up to find out they can't really progress further than just the pair up bonuses. Is this even an issue?

Anyway looking forward to getting to finally play this and thanks for such an active OT~

Completely obvious, characters who can marry have a "S" support rank you can see in the support menu.
You just have to check the support menu for one unit to see the potential brides =p

EDIT : Too late, I knew I shouldn't have been afk for 5mn :(

McNum

Thanks man! Looking forward to it, haven't played a Fire Emblem game in agesss
There's one thing about pairings you probably shuld know, but it's also a bit of a spoiler for the game, so I'll leave it here marked, except for what character it affects.

The special case of Chrom's marriage:
Chrom will marry the female unit he has the highest support level with at the end of chapter 11 unless he is already married to someone at that point. This counts fractions, too, so if he's a B level with two characters, but one is more B than the other, he'll pick that one. The easiest way to make sure this doesn't surprise you, is to get him to S-rank with someone at the end of chapter 10 or earlier. It's not hard if they fight paired up most of the time.

This takes some new players by surprise, so I thought you might want to know.

Oxx

Rogues dlc is just straight weird anyway. Unsatisfactory models/artwork is the least of my questions.

Does talking to the allies actually do anything? We are they so weak? Is there any benefit to saving them?

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
There's one thing about pairings you probably shuld know, but it's also a bit of a spoiler for the game, so I'll leave it here marked, except for what character it affects.

The special case of Chrom's marriage:
Chrom will marry the female unit he has the highest support level with at the end of chapter 11 unless he is already married to someone at that point. This counts fractions, too, so if he's a B level with two characters, but one is more B than the other, he'll pick that one. The easiest way to make sure this doesn't surprise you, is to get him to S-rank with someone at the end of chapter 10 or earlier. It's not hard if they fight paired up most of the time.

This takes some new players by surprise, so I thought you might want to know.

Yeah, a big one that lead me to restart the entire game. I-I just couldn't bring myself to play at that point.

Rogues dlc is just straight weird anyway. Unsatisfactory models/artwork is the least of my questions.

Does talking to the allies actually do anything? We are they so weak? Is there any benefit to saving them?

Talking's just for fun.

There's no benefit to keeping them alive; they're just there to lend a helping hand.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
The creepiest pairing for Nowi has to be Kellam. Not only does she look so underage when compared to him, but also the support conversations make it seem like they look at each other like brother and sister.

... so shitty.

Got Tiki? Give her a Dragonstone+ and a Pair Up partner that boosts her defense, and use her as the tank. If you don't have Tiki yet... then what are you doing in Inigo's paralogue? It's easily one of the hardest child paralogues.

LOL yup, I didn't get Tiki yet. I just really wanted to get one of the kids, and Inigo was the only one whose skills I got lined up, so I was forced into his. I got it eventually though, mostly because Donnel, Lucina and Olivia are awesome, and lots and lots of pair-ups.

Yeah, a big one that lead me to restart the entire game. I-I just couldn't bring myself to play at that point.

Haha Who'd you get?

Man this thread makes me want to get a 3ds.

I bought it for future games(Pokemon, M&L, Ace Attorney, etc.), but this game made me buy it immediately. Totally worth it too.

Oxx

Talking's just for fun.

There's no benefit to keeping them alive; they're just there to lend a helping hand.

That's ok. Only two allies made it through the first time.

It was just kinda weird to see the first enemy waltz up and kill Marth in one turn.

Succubi Pie

Neo Member
Haha Who'd you get?

Sumia. I have a thing against sweet, pretty, gentle girls in an army. Blame it on taking so many history classes in college. So I restarted as a female and married Chrom myself. This time I'm holding off until I can pick a husband and married Sully to Chrom.

I bought it for future games(Pokemon, M&L, Ace Attorney, etc.), but this game made me buy it immediately. Totally worth it too.

I got mine for Kingdom Hearts 3D. Pre-ordered the game and all.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I think Paralogue 17 was abit outta my teams league since it netted me 2 gameovers! Miraculously everyone survived the third attempt so thats something but still that battle didn't go at all like I expected. Figured after a couple successful turns of guarding miss voice that she'd unleash a super attack ta wipe out the baddies. Nopes! Gotta defend her to the bitter end! Tiki seems like a Nowi except GOOD so hopefully she won't die as easily or at all!

Glad to see you're getting the hang of it. Yea I loved that tree stage. And yea Sully has been a great unit for me through and through. She dodges almost everything and the rng gods gave her great stats all around.
I could never get the hang of strategy/srpg games its why I largely avoid those genres. Just hit a run of good luck is all! But Sully, ya I could tell early on she'd be a keeper!

PBalfredo

Does Tharja have any good S Ranks with anyone out side of with the avatar? She seems to fall into this problem the most.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Okay, so I snapped up Future Past 1 pretty much as soon as it arrived in the EU store this week, and I am having real trouble keeping Nah and Noire alive. I'm using my team of almost-maxed kids, and they're absolutely fine in terms of dealing with the enemies on the map but it's the reinforcements who keep popping up that I'm having trouble keeping track of before they get a long range attack on the future kids.

Does anyone have a list of which reinforcements spawn on which turn, from where, and when those sorcerers with Mire show up? Or just any tips in general? I've never lost Cynthia, and Kjelle was only lost on my first try when I didn't account for the spawning sages.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I lost track of how many times I got game over in chapter 19 x.x My MC was so not up to snuff there. Eventually I won but at the cost of Lon'qu. That chapter taught me about rushing the boss with a few elite units which then made 20 & 21 alot simpler by comparison! How comes Tiki can exceed Level 20 while others have that as their max level?? So uncool.

Dresden

I lost track of how many times I got game over in chapter 19 x.x My MC was so not up to snuff there. Eventually I won but at the cost of Lon'qu. That chapter taught me about rushing the boss with a few elite units which then made 20 & 21 alot simpler by comparison! How comes Tiki can exceed Level 20 while others have that as their max level?? So uncool.

You can use Master Seals to promote those characters, which will get them past 20. :p

ffdgh

Special classes like manakete, villager, dancer, taguel, bride(dlc) dread fighter(dlc) go up to 30 levels.

Top Bottom