• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Chrom

Any in particular you would recommend? Does Nintendo ever do eshop sales would live to snatch them all in a cheaper bundle or something.

Golden Pack for sure. You might also like Lost Bloodlines 2, Lost Bloodlines 3, Smash Brethren 2, Scramble Pack, and Apotheosis. Those are some of the most exceptional ones, I think.

Regarding sales, kind of. For Fire Emblem, Champions of Yore 1 was available for free for a limited time when the game released (and in turn, Champions Pack had a reduced price), and in Japan, Harvest Scramble was also offered for half price for like a week after it released. Other than that, the DLC in the game's never gone on any kind of random sale. I think it's theoretically possible (Zen Pinball 2 and Just Dance 4 for Wii U had their DLC on sale in North America, as I recall) but it's just never really happened at all, let alone with Nintendo's own games with DLC. I'm personally not holding my breath for it.

OMG Aero

Yay, I married my character to Lucina <3
I laughed after I got Lucina and saw an option to S rank with the main character because this seems like a really fucked up thing to do.
Does Chrom get any lines when you go and recruit
his grandchild
? Poor guy has to deal with
ruling a kingdom under attack, Lucina's reveal then all of a sudden "oh hey you're a granddad too"

McNum

Ding! 100 hours on my main save file. Sadly, it did not level up.

Smash Brethren is the next set of DLC for Europe. That's the one with the Bride class in it, isn't it?

Which DLC should I buy and why? Many thanks for the help in advance :D

Essentials

Lost Bloodlines 3 - Paragon, doubles your exp. Also the best spot to train after Exponential Growth starts to slow down. There are 50 enemies in LB3, killing all of them with a unit equipped with Paragon will get 8 levels per run, 12 levels if Veteran is also equipped.

Rogues and Redeemers 3 - Limit Breaker, raises all caps by 10
Golden Gaffe - about 60k gold per run
Exponential Growth - Fast exp for beginners

Kater

Banned
Does anyone know how to beat the Risen on the Harvest Scramble DLC map?Their Counter Skill plus those 50 points in luck seem unbeatable. I don't want to look in the wiki because I fear I could get spoiled too much since I'm not completely done with the main story.

McNum

Does anyone know how to beat the Risen on the Harvest Scramble DLC map? I don't want to look in the wiki because I fear I could get spoiled too much since I'm not completely done with the main story.
Ah, the ones with Counter, yes? Yeah, this map can be a bit of a surprise when you get it.

Counter has two weaknesses you can exploit.
1. It only works at close range.
2. It only triggers if the user survives the hit.

The first one is somewhat simple. Tag the Counter Risen (look for a skill with two arrows pointing in opposite directions) on the map with A and note their attack ranges. That's the area you don't want to be in on Enemy Phase. Then send Nowi or Virion or a mage to hit the Risen at range. You Avatar might be good for that, too.

The second one is a bit cruel due to a mean combination of skills some of the Risen have: Counter/Miracle. Since they have Miracle, they have a Luck based chance to survive with 1 HP when they should be dead. And they have capped Luck. So, any Risen with Miracle will likely survive one fatal blow. However, if you use a ranged character to get the risen to 1 HP, it's safe to send in a melee character to clean up.

If you end up with a melee character in a Counter Risen's attack range and you have no way to get them to safety, select Items and Remove their equipped weapon. That way they won't attack on the Enemy Phase.

Kater

Banned
Ah, the ones with Counter, yes? Yeah, this map can be a bit of a surprise when you get it.

Counter has two weaknesses you can exploit.
1. It only works at close range.
2. It only triggers if the user survives the hit.

The first one is somewhat simple. Tag the Counter Risen (look for a skill with two arrows pointing in opposite directions) on the map with A and note their attack ranges. That's the area you don't want to be in on Enemy Phase. Then send Nowi or Virion or a mage to hit the Risen at range. You Avatar might be good for that, too.

The second one is a bit cruel due to a mean combination of skills some of the Risen have: Counter/Miracle. Since they have Miracle, they have a Luck based chance to survive with 1 HP when they should be dead. And they have capped Luck. So, any Risen with Miracle will likely survive one fatal blow. However, if you use a ranged character to get the risen to 1 HP, it's safe to send in a melee character to clean up.

If you end up with a melee character in a Counter Risen's attack range and you have no way to get them to safety, select Items and Remove their equipped weapon. That way they won't attack on the Enemy Phase.

Sounds like a brilliant plan, thanks for that! I will try to do exactly that.

I was going to purchase this along with SMT to get the $30 credit, but then I came upon the missing feet problem. This ruined it for me. I'm sure the whole time in battle, I'd be looking at their ankle nubs shaking my head.

demidar

I was going to purchase this along with SMT to get the $30 credit, but then I came upon the missing feet problem. This ruined it for me. I'm sure the whole time in battle, I'd be looking at their ankle nubs shaking my head.

That seems incredibly superficial, but whatever. With the cross promotion Fire Emblem is only $5 on eShop, and if you manage to get a cheaper retail version you could actually get money back for buying both games.

That seems incredibly superficial, but whatever. With the cross promotion Fire Emblem is only $5 on eShop, and if you manage to get a cheaper retail version you could actually get money back for buying both games.

Would you play a game where the characters had no heads? Would it affect your thoughts or enjoyment of the game?

Chrom

Would you play a game where the characters had no heads? Would it affect your thoughts or enjoyment of the game?

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the same thing. The head is a very important part of the body, especially in terms of visual appeal and distinction between characters. Feet aren't.

In addition...no heads would mean the characters wouldn't talk. This comparison isn't very well thought out.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm feeling really useless playing this game.

My first SRPG and trying to get my head around it is hard. :(

Any tips for a newbie? I've had the game a month, and only got to Chapter 4, about to do the first sidequest for the Donnel kid. I'm playing Classic, Normal if it helps.

Sotha Sil

Retrospectively, I really think the emphasis on the Avatar hurts the game (well, when you don't really care about the waifu/husbando... thing). A sizable chunk of the playable characters are clearly archetypes designed to please the player. I'm not saying the series was renowed for its complex characterization before Awakening, but FE:A really feels too... fan-servicy? Pop-cultury? Don't know. I've played it a lot, so it's definitely not a bad entry, but I miss the classicism of the previous games.

Awakening's popularity seems to indicate few people agree with the above, though.

Dresden

Retrospectively, I really think the emphasis on the Avatar hurts the game (well, when you don't really care about the waifu/husbando... thing). A sizable chunk of the playable characters are clearly archetypes designed to please the player. I'm not saying the series was renowed for its complex characterization before Awakening, but FE:A really feels too... fan-servicy? Pop-cultury? Don't know. I've played it a lot, so it's definitely not a bad entry, but I miss the classicism of the previous games.

Awakening's popularity seems to indicate few people agree with the above, though.

You mean the avatar being perfect at everything and being loved by everyone is bad? No way!

But yeah, the fanservice stuff in general didn't bother me so much as the blatant worship of the player-character. It has this weird self-congratulatory feeling about it. I like having a visible, involved representation of the player in the game, but to be coddled to such an extent isn't good (or interesting, even).

As an aside, you should totally play SMT4 because I remember us sharing similar views on RPGs in the past, and it's like, the bee's knees.

Sotha Sil

You mean the avatar being perfect at everything and being loved by everyone is bad? No way!

But yeah, the fanservice stuff in general didn't bother me so much as the blatant worship of the player-character. It has this weird self-congratulatory feeling about it. I like having a visible, involved representation of the player in the game, but to be coddled to such an extent isn't good (or interesting, even).

As an aside, you should totally play SMT4 because I remember us sharing similar views on RPGs in the past, and it's like, the bee's knees.

Yeah, you summed up the problems pretty well.

Thanks for the advice; I would love to play SMT4. In fact, I'll buy it day one. When the PAL version comes out. (If it comes out?) Europe sucks sometimes.

Anteo

I'm feeling really useless playing this game.

My first SRPG and trying to get my head around it is hard. :(

Any tips for a newbie? I've had the game a month, and only got to Chapter 4, about to do the first sidequest for the Donnel kid. I'm playing Classic, Normal if it helps.

Play casual normal then.
Or just don't use Frederick. At all. Restart the game and make it so he gets no kills in any of the chapters. Unequip his weapon if necesary to do this. If you have to save a character, do it so Frederick gets one kill, 2 tops. This will turn the game from "is hard to keep up with the enemies" to "my guys are like 10 levels over the enmies, this is too easy" after a while

Edt:
Oh and spam heal with Lissa so she can level up fast. She may hit 1st tier max level before everyone else first by doing this so she will be ready for promotion much earlier than the other characters

Hopelessly addicted to this game. I never thought I'd be a fan of SRPG's, but I'm loving this. The support mechanic is what takes it to another level. The conversations between the characters are pretty entertaining (try searching 'Chrom Wants You' in Google images :lol).

casmith07

Does the difficulty kinda ramp up quickly around Ch. 17 or is it just me?

The Paralogues are ridiculous sometimes. I've started buying reeking boxes to try and grind some of my weaker units so they can hang and actually level up. Can't have Chrom and my avatar with Tharja taking down every single map themselves, lol.

Hopelessly addicted to this game. I never thought I'd be a fan of SRPG's, but I'm loving this. The support mechanic is what takes it to another level. The conversations between the characters are pretty entertaining (try searching 'Chrom Wants You' in Google images :lol).

I'm absolutely addicted too. And I haven't even bought any of the DLC yet.

Still trying to figure out the StreetPass and multiplayer stuff though. Is there no way GAFers can share teams?

Himself

The Paralogues are ridiculous sometimes. I've started buying reeking boxes to try and grind some of my weaker units so they can hang and actually level up. Can't have Chrom and my avatar with Tharja taking down every single map themselves, lol.

QUOTE]

What's the deal with these paralogues anyway? they seem to open at random and not in sequential order.

Anteo

I'm absolutely addicted too. And I haven't even bought any of the DLC yet.

Still trying to figure out the StreetPass and multiplayer stuff though. Is there no way GAFers can share teams?

You should go ahead and but the golden pack then, it will make training easier for a while, until your units can basically afk kill maps of high level enemies.

What's the deal with these paralogues anyway? they seem to open at random and not in sequential order.

I think you only get paralogue 1-4 in order, then you get the paralogues from the (post ch13 spoilers)
time travelers. Those open up as soon as a potential mother marries. So it moslty depends on your supports.
Also after those, there are the spotpass paralogues but those are unlocked really late into the game (even if you download them early, you can't access them)

Gestahl

Yeah my biggest issue with most of the characters is that outside of the Avatar they don't really have much of a connection to the other characters or to the world at large. This in turn makes the world kind of look like shit but that's another story entirely. You don't really see anything like the L'Arachel group or the bizarre Raven triangle, Lucius and Renault, Nino's whole depressing deal with Canas and the Black Fang, Marcia, her brother, and the Begnion knights, and so on, so the characters never evolve or develop beyond their basic archetype. Couple this with the fluff supports and the one liners after every level or item spot and a lot of their personalities wear thin quickly.

casmith07

See the spoiler guy above if you want spoilers...but basically they open up when characters get married. Won't say much outside of that :)

You should go ahead and but the golden pack then, it will make training easier for a while, until your units can basically afk kill maps of high level enemies.

Will do. Outer Realm I can get that, correct?

Sotha Sil

Yeah my biggest issue with most of the characters is that outside of the Avatar they don't really have much of a connection to the other characters or to the world at large. This in turn makes the world kind of look like shit but that's another story entirely. You don't really see anything like the L'Arachel group or the bizarre Raven triangle, Lucius and Renault, Nino's whole depressing deal with Canas and the Black Fang, Marcia, her brother, and the Begnion knights, and so on, so the characters never evolve or develop beyond their basic archetype. Couple this with the fluff supports and the one liners after every level or item spot and a lot of their personalities wear thin quickly.

Well put. The previous entries told simple stories, but ones that were much more involving and - relatively speaking - compelling. FE:A feels empty by comparison. Thankfully, a few characters' backstory were interconnected, but the fact that all support conversations can be unlocked in one playthrough cheapens it somehow. Ah well.

Kater

Banned
Married my unit which I named Dargye to Tiki. Got a daughter who is a Manakete. Feels strange. :/
She is a beast in battle, as you could imagine. Paired her up with Noire and she beats every enemy on the battlefield. Maybe I will marry her to Brady, hmm.

Also, isn't it strange that Lucina can marry Owain? Aren't they cousins? I am not offended by this, just me asking because I'm curious why that is possible.

Another thing is that all that emotional talk really gets through to my cynical heart. What a great game. I hope though that the next entry will have some more depth when it comes to the characters back stories.

I also already bought most of the DLC. Golden Gaffe Pack, Future Past Pack, Harvest Scramble, Lost Bloodlines Pack. I am amazed by how well done it all is.

Anteo

Married my unit which I named Dargye to Tiki. Got a daughter who is a Manakete. Feels strange. :/
She is a beast in battle, as you could imagine. Paired her up with Noire and she beats every enemy on the battlefield. Maybe I will marry her to Brady, hmm.

Also, isn't it strange that Lucina can marry Owain? Aren't they cousins? I am not offended by this, just me asking because I'm curious why that is possible.

Another thing is that all that emotional talk really gets through to my cynical heart. What a great game. I hope though that the next entry will have some more depth when it comes to the characters back stories.

I also already bought most of the DLC. Golden Gaffe Pack, Future Past Pack, Harvest Scramble, Lost Bloodlines Pack. I am amazed by how well done it all is.

Well they don't give each other rings and swear love for eternity. And they do not appear as Husband/Wife on the statsscreen, though I have read that it does happen in the japan version

ohlawd

You can marry cousins in parts of the world, no big deal. I don't have any hot cousins doe... not that I know of anyway.

I'd say only the Cheat Code, the Scrambles and Future Past packs are the only DLC with substantial content. The rest are mostly a miss with at least one map in there that's worth iti (eg. LB 2 and 3, SB 2). I bought all the DLC by the way.

Apotheosis is aight.

Well they don't give each other rings and swear love for eternity. And they do not appear as Husband/Wife on the statsscreen, though I have read that it does happen in the japan version

The West truly does suck.

Kater

Banned

Oh, okay. Never partnered Lucina with Owain so i didn't know that. I just saw the S-rank and that question came up in my head. Oh, so a ring dialogue is just in the Japanese version then? And everywhere else is it's just like two very best friends or something? Hm, I dislike it when things in game get changed up - even if its just details - just to make it through approval system. I believe it was necessary so it could get released not just in Japan but everywhere without people screaming bloody murder at "incest" in a game.

Kater

Banned
You can marry cousins in parts of the world, no big deal. I don't have any hot cousins doe... not that I know of anyway.

I'd say only the Cheat Code, the Scrambles and Future Past packs are the only DLC with substantial content. The rest are mostly a miss with at least one map in there that's worth iti (eg. LB 2 and 3, SB 2). I bought all the DLC by the way.

Apotheosis is aight.

I don't really know if it is all that well accepted where I live. I mean, I have a cousin, but I don't think that it would be a great idea to marry her. My family would kill me. Just an example, I cannot think of anyone who married his own family members.

The DLC maps are really okay. I played the LB1, HS and all GG maps. I enjoyed the fan-service with all the dialogue and all these old characters on the LB1 map. It's a shame that you can't have Support dialogue between Marth and your unit or Tiki, that's my only issue with the LB DLC until yet. :/

Edit: Sorry for the double post! :S

Anteo

I don't really know if it is all that well accepted where I live. I mean, I have a cousin, but I don't think that it would be a great idea to marry her. My family would kill me. Just an example, I cannot think of anyone who married his own family members.

The DLC maps are really okay. I played the LB1, HS and all GG maps. I enjoyed the fan-service with all the dialogue and all these old characters on the LB1 map. It's a shame that you can't have Support dialogue between Marth and your unit or Tiki, that's my only issue with the LB DLC until yet. :/

Edit: Sorry for the double post! :S

Well at least she gets some small dialog with him in one of the dlc.

GamerSoul

I've made it to chapter 12 on Lunatic. I've lost so many units that I don't really care anymore. Lol. Except my Sully :( sigh.

my grandmaster MU is a beast with her defense and magic being her best stats, chrom is a beast, fred is still kicking it and I'm slowly working in nowi and panne. It's been a challenge because one wrong move has lost me almost every a unit but kinda fun.

I'm dissatisfied with the waifus I chose for Chrom and Frederick. If only this game allowed same-sex marriage. Those two were clearly meant for each other. I mean, Chrom marries Sumia because she makes a good pie. How does that beat out Fred's undying love and devotion? :p

So much to think about with re-classing and skill inheritance for children. It's a little overwhelming. I've had the IGN wiki open for days.

LakeEarth

I hate it when a unit gets attacked but because they have high damage, they kill the unit and leave the gap for the next unit to attack. Had to restart because I lost a unit going "oh she can only get attacked once, she'll be fine" and ends up getting attacked 6 times because she kept clearing the way.

This is the first SRPG that I've really gotten into btw. Usually I get frustrated and leave, but easy mode on this game is pretty damned easy.

Celegus

Donnell has bad bases that make him look horrible at first glance, but he has very high growths so he becomes an amazing unit real fast.

General consensus is to train Donnell as a Villager to Level 10-15 (I recommend 15 so he learns another skill), then Second Seal him to Mercenary. Absolute beastly unit.

My Donnel is a level ~15 Mercenary and all of his stats are maxed out except for Magic and Res. Is it smart to keep him at Merc until 20, or am I wasting levels since barely any stats can even level up right now? And yeah, he is pretty ridiculous once he gets going!

KiraFA37

I'm dissatisfied with the waifus I chose for Chrom and Frederick. If only this game allowed same-sex marriage. Those two were clearly meant for each other. I mean, Chrom marries Sumia because she makes a good pie. How does that beat out Fred's undying love and devotion? :p

So much to think about with re-classing and skill inheritance for children. It's a little overwhelming. I've had the IGN wiki open for days.

Easy, I would rather have endless pies then having NAKED posters of me hanging in EVERY TENT in the camp. There is something as too much dedication.

Mephala

Some quick questions about Supports.

Is Morgan's support with the
non-Avatar
parent the same no matter who it is or possibly mostly the same with some minor exceptions? I ask because so far I'm grinding supports and I have a
female Morgan who has the same C support with two different mothers (Cordelia and Lucina)
?
What about siblings, both for
Morgan
and
Lucina
?

And a quick question about the ending.
If I marry Lucina for instance does it change her ending? My first play I ended up with Cordelia and it just says my avatar loves her, the end... Mean while Lucina disappears after speaking to her baby self. I hope if I end with Lucina it isn't just a name swap at the end of my avatar's ending?
I am also hugely disappointed that
I am not truly dead.
I know, it rarely happens but still...

Top Bottom