• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Oxx

Agreed on both.

Just starting to get a hang of the game I feel like. Been pairing up way too little I think, it seems to help a lot against stronger opponents. I find the difference in strenght between various units sort of odd though. Frederick is a beast who deals 20+ dmg all the time, while many other units do like 10 max. Carrying the weaker units and trying to level them up is the main factor of difficulty early on to me.

Just opened up the DLC area, going to do the free mission..

I think Fred is the traditional high-powered early-game unit to use as a last resort rather than a key unit.

I think I've only had to use him once out of desperation.

Roman

Quick question guys, since I've played classic mode I've lost my archer guy, the red hair women on the hose, and the girl healer from the start. Since they seem to be involved in the plot is it possible to get them back or do I need to restart? Dat weight on my shoulders man, I am feeling guilty on not planning right at the start :(

Welcome to Fire Emblem.

Forkball

Are the Barracks just used for conversations/asides? I keep thinking I am missing something when I "look" around.

Sometimes you can find items or get bonuses like experience boosts. It's worth checking out every session. It's also really cool how items get added the further you get in the game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So are pegasus knights incredibly gimped in this one? I remember pegasus knights being pretty good on the FE for GBA, but I can barely make use of sumia in any meaningful way.

Leezard

So are pegasus knights incredibly gimped in this one? I remember pegasus knights being pretty good on the FE for GBA, but I can barely make use of sumia in any meaningful way.
I think they are typically very weak early on, but once they get some str and learn to dodge properly they work great. That's in the gba version though, I haven't played this yet.

Also, I just picked up the bundle. Only 3 hours until I can play...

Antiwhippy

Huh. Maybe I should power her more than. I remember the one in FE GBA being a beast though.

By the way how often should I be doing the challenge missions or are they completely optional?

Wiseblade

Miriel and Stahl, one-shotting everybody.

I've barely even touched Stahl, his few growths were abysmal and I ditched him in frustration. Sully is doing amazingly paired with my avatar. I've never liked the green cavaliers before anyway (with the exception of Sain, he's awesome).

Westlo

This game is crack, and the only previous FE i played was the Wii one which I never touched again after playing 30 mins (I uh tend to do that a lot since I buy a lot of games and play once before going back to WoW/2k/Sfiv etc)

But yeah this game is crack.

Fuck, you were supposed to get
kellam
on chapter 3?

All that grinding for nothing.

Holy fuck I missed that too... I think I'm just going to restart period since I messed up my chapter 6 battle and I already lost ricken and the archer dude in chapter 5.

Only done 2:30 hours according to save file but after the amount of soft resets, it's probably more like 7 hours!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. Maybe I should power her more than. I remember the one in FE GBA being a beast though.

By the way how often should I be doing the challenge missions or are they completely optional?

The Risen on the map are optional, but drop some money and a weapon so they're good for that as well as experience.

And Sumia is the lesser of the two Peg Knights you get, her strength and defense growths are pretty blah.

Leezard

The Risen on the map are optional, but drop some money and a weapon so they're good for that as well as experience.

And Sumia is the lesser of the two Peg Knights you get, her strength and defense growths are pretty blah.
We don't get 3? How am I supposed to use the almost useless triangle attack?

Rubixcuba

Banned
Has anyone experienced lock ups whilst playing? I bought my copy off the eShop and have had 4 experiences when the game locks and has to restart due to an error :/
I haven't had this problem with any other 3DS games.

Wiseblade

This game is crack, and the only previous FE i played was the Wii one which I never touched again after playing 30 mins (I uh tend to do that a lot since I buy a lot of games and play once before going back to WoW/2k/Sfiv etc)

But yeah this game is crack.
Understandable, I'd say that Radiant Dawn has Dark Souls levels of beginner friendliness. That totally you expected you to have completed Path of Radiance beforehand and went all out in its expectations of the player from the beginning.

Tell that to my Sumia.

Has anyone experienced lock ups whilst playing? I bought my copy off the eShop and have had 4 experiences when the game locks and has to restart due to an error :/
I haven't had this problem with any other 3DS games.

I bought mine off the eShop too and I haven't had any lock ups.

Shahadan

I had troubles with other games (retails on on top of that) but never digital ones, and still not with FE. I guess the console is at fault

Oxx

All of my relationship-building has been concentrated in three or four characters. I really need to spread the love around a bit.

I don't want my unit to commit too early.

Westlo

Understandable, I'd say that Radiant Dawn has Dark Souls levels of beginner friendliness. That totally you expected you to have completed Path of Radiance beforehand and went all out in its expectations of the player from the beginning.

Yeah I'm interested in going back and playing it now but obviously will have to somehow snag a copy of the gamecube game first.. if i can find it.

whats my other options for english FE?

Antiwhippy

S Ranks are marriage. A character can only get married once and there are no divorces. No same sex marriages either. Once a pair are married a sidequest will chow up on the map with their child as a recruitable character.

Alright, so is the child dependent on the mother, father, or both?

Also, who here is in camp "let 'em die" and who here is in camp "fuck this shit restart"? So far I've been in camp "fuck this shit restart", but I'm thinking of letting that go soon with characters that I don't care too much about.

So many stupid deaths on hard though from the RNG makes it hard for me not to just "rage" restart. >_>

Shahadan

Yeah I'm interested in going back and playing it now but obviously will have to somehow snag a copy of the gamecube game first.. if i can find it.

path of radiance and radiant dawn are your best choices and the better games, otherwise there are FEs on gba and on DS (but kinda avoid that one).

On that topic, coming from a recent PoR/RD playthrough, the way combat scenes are handled in Awakening are just fresh air. This thing alone improves a lot the flow and the accessability of the game.

Roman

GBA_Fire_Emblem_Box.jpg

- First one released in the west.
- Long tutorial for baka gaijins.
- Nevertheless very well received among the fanbase and most people's first FE until now.
- Features the father of Roy from Smash Bros. Melee as the protagonist among others.

Fire_Emblem_The_Sacred_Stones.JPG

- One of the easiest Fire Emblems.
- Story and continent is stand-alone.
- Free on your 3DS if you are an ambassador.
- Second good choice for newcomers.

Fire_Emblem_DS.jpg

- Remake of the very first Fire Emblem game, featuring Marth.
- Very basic plot and systems.
- Many call it bland.
- Its sequel wasn't released in the west.

I'd say Fire Emblem (the top one), Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance are all good choices.

Wiseblade

Alright, so is the child dependent on the mother, father, or both?
The only one I've encountered so far is very much her mother's child.

Also, who here is in camp "let 'em die" and who here is in camp "fuck this shit restart"? So far I've been in camp "fuck this shit restart", but I'm thinking of letting that go soon with characters that I don't care too much about.

So many stupid deaths though from the RNG makes it hard for me not to just "rage" restart. >_>
We went over this in ManGAF, but I think I'll go Ironman style on a Hard mode playthrough.

Antiwhippy

One is "Marth"/Lucina who is Chrom's dauther through and through (the Falchion and "may father taught me to fight!" make it obvious). I don't know about the other.

Huh, kind of already guessed that one actually.

So at what levels should I worry about marrying them off?

Wiseblade

Huh, kind of already guessed that one actually.

So at what levels should I worry about marrying them off?

My Chrom got forcibly married to my Sumia at chapter 11, so if you have him eyeing up someone else him him put a ring on it before then. I did my other marriages just after promoting.

ffdgh

Chrom aside, you can marry at any time. Before you do the kids chapter, look at their parents current skills and put the 2 you want to pass down in the last slot before you start their paral-eer side story. You can still leave their chapters and switch their skills are replay the map to switch them if needed.

Draxal

Mind spoiling those two cases?

Second gen spoilers

Chrom and the Male avatar have a female child with any person they get with, and if the mother is also a spawn producing mother, they will produce two children. The female avatar will have a male child; but she will only have a second child if she marries Chrom. The only marraige that is forced is Chroms.

And honestly, if you had so many deaths you might want to restart on hard/casual. The mid game saves make it alot easier to deal with, I'd still reset a battle if anybody dies though.

Nohar

Loving the game so far. Just reached the 11th chapter (Hard mode, Classic mode).
I promoted Lissa to Battle Cleric (her Magic stat was 9 at level 20... 9. So, yeah, I prefered to make her more tough, she's just an healing bot anyway). The other members of my team are 17-ish, with Virion being 18 (what can I say ? I love this guy). Sully and Donnel are married (don't sue me; the dialogue was hilarious), same for Chrom and Sumia (well, Sumia is lacking on the strenght side, but they make a good team), and I'm still not sure who to marry my avatar to (Tarja ? Anna ?). Anyhow, I'm not using change seals for the moment (I want my first experience to be as close as possible as a "regular" walkthrough, without abusing random encounters and such), though it's maybe time that Donnel finally becomes useful.

Lusankya

Ah man, I don't really like how aggressive most of the enemies are. Usually they begin to rush your position sooner or later (mostly sooner), so most chapters feel like "defend x for y turns" from previous Fire Emblems.
It's not like I hate those missions, but it is so much harder to train weaker units this way, because you need your strongest units to tank and destroy.

Forkball

I seriously married people based on my perceived compatibility of them and not because of stats or battle prowess. Love, not war guys.

Top Bottom