• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Sane_Man

I think I might have broken my game. I'm up to chapter 20 and until about Chapter 18 I was working through the game somewhat comfortably, but now I'm finding it impossible. I'm nowhere near the levels of the enemies and I'm losing men constantly. I've done all the side missions available and there are no mini-battles left at the moment so I don't know how to grind up. None of my fighters have married yet either and I know that should have happened by now but there just aren't that many interactions. I've obviously gone seriously wrong somewhere.

posting those playtime stats reminds me of radiant dawn and PoR. played nothing but RD for 2 years straight and PoR for 7-9 months. I am probably one of the few who will say shadow dragon is s great game, screw the haters.

Besides some questionable design choices in Shadow Dragon (really, you want me to murder my own party to get your sidequests), it was still a good FE game.

It just didn't live up to my lofty expectations after playing Radiant Dawn.

Tenck

Just hire some high level spotpass/bonus team characters (Go to bonus teams in the wireless setting, they'll appear in the main map, go there, and hire them with gold. Try to hire people with levels as high or higher than your current team members), no need to actually go for paid DLC.

Yeah a friend of mine told me about Spotpass teams. WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING ALL THIS TIME?!?!!?

And yeah, but even though 8 hours doesn't seem like a lot to people, it's definitely a time investment I can't make all over again.

I'm still at the beginning (chapter 5) and still grinding instead of doing story, so I don't know yet, but how do you get money? I'm starting to get poor.

Your convoy should be full of stuff to sell.

Javier

posting those playtime stats reminds me of radiant dawn and PoR. played nothing but RD for 2 years straight and PoR for 7-9 months.
I know that feel Bro.
JP2Cu.jpg

Saving this for posterity since the Nintendo Channel is getting nixed in a couple of months.

zroid

Banned
Is there any reason not to promote my favourite characters to an advanced class? Should I be hitting 20 before I do?

If you wait till lv20 before promoting, you'll gain stat boosts through level ups quicker. If you promote earlier (like lv10 when you get your second skill) you'll get your next set of skills faster. Up to you, really, there's no real right or wrong approach.

NeonZ

I think I might have broken my game. I'm up to chapter 20 and until about Chapter 18 I was working through the game somewhat comfortably, but now I'm finding it impossible. I'm nowhere near the levels of the enemies and I'm losing men constantly. I've done all the side missions available and there are no mini-battles left at the moment so I don't know how to grind up.

Are you trying to keep your entire team of 20+ characters with relatively close levels? That's a mistake. Focus on a team of 12-14 characters at most. Around the amount of people you can usually deploy.

Anyway, are you playing on normal? If so, you can just buy Reeking Boxes to make Risen pop up on the map. On hard, they cost too much to be used without preparation though. Still, you can call bonus teams and have skirmishes against them for free, but you won't make any money in those battles, and will damage your equipment like usual, while only getting experience. You can still get items from the shinning tiles though, and use them or sell them to make up for money lost with other equipment.

There's also Despoil/Leif Sword though to make money, see bellow.

None of my fighters have married yet either and I know that should have happened by now but there just aren't that many interactions. I've obviously gone seriously wrong somewhere.

"There aren't that many interactions"? You need to build support points to make your characters increase support levels and marry. You know that you're building support points when you see a heart popping up after the characters cure each other or fight together. If they do that and you see nothing popping up, they just can't get support levels.

Yeah but I meant, is this the only way?

Despoil, lvl1 barbarian skill, and the Leif sword, a drop from shinning tiles/barracks events, can easily make money. They give a luck based chance to get a bullion after killing an enemy and then you can sell it afterwards. You won't see much discussion about them nowadays though because the money DLC is a much faster method. Still, using them, you can easily make money from bonus team battles and make more money from Risen battles. When your characters' luck is high enough, it's even possible to make money in spite of using the more expensive version of the Reeking Boxes from the non-normal modes.

If you're going with the Leif Sword though, remember to give it to someone who has the mercenary lvl1 skill, Armsthrift, which gives a Luck based chance to not waste a weapon use when they attack.

o_O

I was going to guess 100, but I thought I was overreaching. lol

They're basically just avatars with custom pictures anyway.

Still, it's good to see a developer actually using their character creation engine to include some quick extras. I always thought it's kind of odd that developers don't use their characters creation engines to include a bunch of bonus characters in games that could do that.

Chrom

How much space is left on the 4gb sd card that comes with the Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS XL bundle when the game is preinstalled and can you delete the game and download it at a later point?
How much space does the retail copy of the game take on the sd card?
Thinking about buying the bundle or the usual blue 3ds xl with the game.

The digital game takes up 1.14 GB on the SD card.

Retail games don't take up any space on the SD card, since they're already on their own game card.

As someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game before and has barely played any RPGs in my lifetime, I'm really enjoying this game.

I've played about 6 hours so far, and I feel like I'm really stupid sometimes as I have lost quite a lot of team members.

Are there any tips for beginners to these types of games that aren't explained by the game? Thanks!

I just wish I had more time to play this game!

McNum

Huh, the first DLC map is kind of easy... Those units do not have the stats their level would suggest. Meaning this map will be great for leveling up straggling units, and I just realize how much work that could be. Still, as a 1-10 map I think it'll work fine. Maybe for grinding out some supports, too, but i think having a map without allies and just letting some enemy break its weapon on a pair up would work better for that.

And a fun little European translation tidbit: "Shiida". That's not was she was called in Shadow Dragon. Is the DLC called "Outrealm Tales" in the US version?

ffdgh

Nah ours is called Xenologue.

Err that is to say the maps are called xenologues but yeah the spot on the map is called Outrealm Gate.

Huh, the first DLC map is kind of easy... Those units do not have the stats their level would suggest. Meaning this map will be great for leveling up straggling units, and I just realize how much work that could be. Still, as a 1-10 map I think it'll work fine. Maybe for grinding out some supports, too, but i think having a map without allies and just letting some enemy break its weapon on a pair up would work better for that.

Look forward to when the 3rd DLC map in the series gets released. You basically fight everyone and have no allies to bother you.

Summoning Risen on the first playable map could work as well.

JaseMath

Are character deaths in this game an inevitability? I started playing last night, lost a few and got frustrated, so I turned it off. Will start a new game today.

Maybe I just suck.

Tenck

Are character deaths in this game an inevitability? I started playing last night, lost a few and got frustrated, so I turned it off. Will start a new game today.

Maybe I just suck.

Take it from someone who lost like 5 people today, yes it is inevitable sometimes, and really bums you out if it's people you started to like ;_;

Edit: This might sound dumb, but are there any limited uses on DLC maps? Just asking because Nintendo was smart enough to have limited uses on Demos, so you never know.

Since I want to buy the EXP one and level up some new units I have. That's why I'm asking.

McNum

Maybe I just suck.
It's not inevitable, the AI in Fire Emblem is just really, really spiteful. It's not out to win, it's out to make you quit in disgust. If there's even a remote chance that it can kill a unit, it will try. Five 30% hits in a row to take out a character? It will go for it.

Just imagine you're playing against someone who hates your guts and plan accordingly. And press X to see the danger area. I also recommend highlighting archers and wind mages by selecting them with A if you're fielding pegasi. Less ugly surprises like that. Some maps have archers all over, some don't even have one.

MicH

Chrom: HUH WHO'S THERE?!?
Kellam: I'm right here. Can't you see me?

Holy shit I lost it. Poor Kellam, not even the enemy saw him :( and he waved at Chrom and co. as well and they still didnt see him. Oh god I feel horrible

Edit: This might sound dumb, but are there any limited uses on DLC maps? Just asking because Nintendo was smart enough to have limited uses on Demos, so you never know.

Since I want to buy the EXP one and level up some new units I have. That's why I'm asking.

Unlimited usage of the DLC maps. Also means unlimited access (after you beat the map) of the rewards from maps that have them like the new class changing items and the new skills.

McNum

It's not all bad for Kellam, he has access to the thief and assassin classes.
Kellam should in theory be the greatest Assassin ever. He can walk around unseen and unheard in heavy armor. Imagine him actually trying to be stealthy. "Mass self-impalings on swords plague the nation!" I'm so going to make mine an Assassin.

dubq

Can you only select Casual/Classic when you start a new game? Is there no way to switch this for an existing save?

Danj

I was wondering why that happened. I started using it yesterday and all of a sudden Vaike was speaking english during a battle, and I thought maybe he spoke English in the original and they actually used a decent voice actor for it that ended up the same in the English version.

Wait, you can choose Japanese voices for this?! Is this only in the NA version or is it available in the EU version too?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Second Aversa's Night I've found today.

And Laurent. Come on man. How did you cap defense before magic? Actually he has capped everything except strength before magic. Go figure.

Take it from someone who lost like 5 people today, yes it is inevitable sometimes, and really bums you out if it's people you started to like ;_;

It's not inevitable. Most, if not all the fire emblem veterans will be going/gone the old school way of classic mode/ragereset upon character death.

As someone already said: The fire emblem AI isn't out to win. It's out to get that one kill to make you restart, or be forced to continue on with a weaker army.

You should think of it more like one continuous battle across the entire game with breaks to buy items, because in the long run, the AIs only goal is to make it impossible to clear the last stage.

ffdgh

If you can't kill them all side with the green team.

Wasn't too bad with my team of magic users and some armor slayer, hammer and bolt ax users.

I play with headphones usually but I thought it was interesting to see speaker mode (turned on by default). It certainly makes a change from say something like Advance Wars Dual Strike where it sounds completely different with headphones in (I guess the speakers have no bass).

And a fun little European translation tidbit: "Shiida". That's not was she was called in Shadow Dragon. Is the DLC called "Outrealm Tales" in the US version?
She was called that in the European release of Shadow Dragon to be consistent with the previous translation in Super Smash Bros Brawl for the sticker.

IIRC, 8-4 were the ones who came up with Caeda (I don't know why, given the romanisation fans used in the 90s/early 00s was Seeda I'd say its how you pronounce it) then NOE made changes. At least I think John TV said something to that effect in the FE:SD OT...which I now can't find. I remember posting that info on an FE forum and was told the source was "notoriously unreliable"...

Wait, you can choose Japanese voices for this?! Is this only in the NA version or is it available in the EU version too?
Its in the options menu (at least the one in the same menu area as the file select screen).

Just curious, when you get a child what how long does it take for the child to become an useful unit? Or do they just pop out of their moms as fully capable warriors?

Thanks!

Just curious, when you get a child what how long does it take for the child to become an useful unit? Or do they just pop out of their moms as fully capable warriors?

Thanks!

Their starting base stats is based off their parent's current base stats when you start their side chapter. So the more powerful their parents are, the more powerful the kid will be! This also means, you can marry up people, grind to your hearts content and then recruit the kid.

Tenck

Well just got done putting money into my card so I can add funds on the 3DS eShop. First game I ever buy DLC for is Fire Emblem game!! Kinda glad, since I remember finishing Radiant Dawn 3 or so years ago and wishing there was some sort of DLC for FE games.

MicH

I have a quick question. Chapter 6 spoilers

In the stage where I have to defend Emmeryn and "Marth" is my ally. She just died. Should I restart or doesn't this matter?

Thanks

Javier

I have a quick question. Chapter 6 spoilers

In the stage where I have to defend Emmeryn and "Marth" is my ally. She just died. Should I restart or doesn't this matter?

Thanks
Doesn't matter. Does nothing to affect the story past that chapter.

Top Bottom