• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Wilsongt

Who did you guys pair up Donnel with? I am about to give him into the caring hands of Sully. On a similar note, I am tempted to marry Stahl to Miriel, hehe.

I gave Donny to Olivia. Best. Inigo. Ever.

Edit: Also, nothing is more amazing than Gerome with Astra. He has amazing Strength and Astra procs like crazy for him. Nothing survives.

You have to buy/find new weapons ! That way your overpowered weapons are to be used on the best occasions.

Also stop using Frederick, you'll be screwed later I think.

The only problem with using Frederick is that you have to grind your other units more. Not that big of a deal.

Chrom

im1mKY4dW1wT1.jpg

I've spent like an hour trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be looking at. I can't figure it out!

Draxal

Guys, honestly would like to know who's best to level first, MC, chrom or Lissa.

Lissa levels on her own by healing or rescue staff spamming. MC is the best first gen character in the game, Chrom's the second best.

Eugenically wise ... it's just a complete waste as Donnel doesn't pass off the pegasus knight class and Inigo already has the other good class that Donnel passes off.

ohlawd

Inigo is literally impossible to screw up so all Inigos are the best Inigos.

Guys, honestly would like to know who's best to level first, MC, chrom or Lissa.

That depends on their stats and your needs, man.

Tell us the deets.

Lissa levels on her own by healing or rescue staff spamming. MC is the best first gen character in the game, Chrom's the second best.

crtl-f "Cordelia"

No results found. k

...merchant?

?!?!?

Merchants will sometimes randomly appear on the world map, that are independent of the regular shops on the world map. They'll sell in addition to the normal stuff, three random items which could be regular stuff on sale or stuff you can't get til later, like seals.

Shahadan

What? Like, entirely? How would that benefit anyone?

Frederick is basically the noob helper. Path of Radiance had Titania serving the same role. Basically a promoted unit (so he's not level 3 but more like between 13 and 23 ) that kills everything early but only steals the XP from characters that will be better in the long run stats wise.

Turok_TTZ

in my current playthrough im gonna complete the supports as much as I can. virion x olivia makes sense but...
inigo and chrom's hairstyles being too damn similar. when I paired olivia with chrom I wasn't expecting inigo to look so fit to be chrom's son. if I didnt know any better inigo was considered to be chrom's canon son despite his personality.

currently training my spotpass mamkute, am I wrong for thinking sword and tomebreaker should be mandatory or I got this right? currently has limit break, sword/tomebreaker, armsthrift, sol.

I was considering training my eirika dlc bride but... I set her up with armsthrift, limit break, rally spectrum, rally heart, bond. gave her some physics, a fortify, and gravidus to call it a day. she is strictly a rally/staff unit. dat 6+ stats to everything. wonder if I should change that or stick with it...

Wilsongt

Frederick is basically the noob helper. Path of Radiance had Titania serving the same role. Basically a promoted unit (so he's not level 3 but more like between 13 and 23 ) that kills everything early but only steals the XP from characters that will be better in the long run stats wise.

But Fred isn't nearly as good as Titania.

Chopper

Can someone explain why using Frederick is bad, to a complete FE noob? I mean, I'm nice and early in the game, and I'm just using everyone. Because, you know, it makes it easier to kill everyone. Fred kills dudes dead easily. Why would that screw me later?

Edit: Oh. I'm confused.

ohlawd

Oh dear :p

Our first victim

It's not so bad since you can grind in this game.

And guys, telling anyone to NOT use Frederick at all isn't the full story. He gives good pair up bonuses so he's good for a couple chapters. Just don't let him kill anythiing but let him weaken enemies so other units can take the kill and get the brunt of the exp.

Anteo

Can someone explain why using Frederick is bad, to a complete FE noob? I mean, I'm nice and early in the game, and I'm just using everyone. Because, you know, it makes it easier to kill everyone. Fred kills dudes dead easily. Why would that screw me later?

I'll quote myself

Yeah don't use him unless you want to turn the game into a grind fest later on.

Remember the talk about Master Seals, and how they promote units to a better class?
He is a promoted unit, a WEAK promoted unit that gets outclassed by level 10 prepromoted untis pretty fast. Since his internal level is actually level 21, he levels slower and eats a lot of exp that could give at least 2 or 3 levels to your other units. If you overuse him, you will have to grind to compensate for that.

-----

It's not so bad since you can grind in this game.

And guys, telling anyone to NOT use Frederick at all isn't the full story. He gives good pair up bonuses so he's good for a couple chapters. Just don't let him kill anythiing but let him weaken so other units can take the kill and the brunt of the exp.

Yeah he is a great pair up unit early on, extra def and movement is really good on Lissa/Miriel.

Wilsongt

He is already promoted, so he is an EXP sink. Your other characters aren't promoted, thus they get more EXP upon each attack/kill than Fred would. Thus, he keeps other characters from leveling up.

He's a Jeigan.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

That depends on their stats and your needs, man.

Tell us the deets.

FemMC: str 12, mag 13, skill 10, spd 15, the rest is pretty low.

Chrom: str 14, skill 11, spd 12, lck 12 and def 13.

Lissa: mag 10, skill 10, luck 15.

Don't really know what I want, except to kill stuff better. :p

Also chrom and femMC is going to get it on.

Jintor

He gets less xp because he's so far above other enemies and it stops lower-level allied units from getting xp, and their stat growth is superior.

Lol I kinda feel like restarting and giving my MC a speed focus... he's just a midrange character right now ==;;

This would only be a real problem if EXP was limited. Using Frederick just means you gotta put in more effort to get other characters up to speed when Frederick isn't just cutting it anymore due to his god awful bases. His growth rate is average among the rest of the cast so it isn't like he's unusable.

oh, so probably the lass i just spotted in side story 2. I think I'm where you are but I'm getting my ass handed to me (i.e. I'm getting someone killed and can't move on psychologically)

Unrelated. These are merchants that appear on the world map.

He's a kill stealer basicly. He'll get less exp per kill than the others would've, and in the end he ends up worse than them anyways.

It's not as big of a problem here because you can grind, but yeah, don't abuse him.

zroid

Banned
The gist is Fred is actually 20 levels higher than everyone else to start so he gains experience very poorly in the early maps and "steals" it from your other characters who need it more. You might end up in a situation where you don't have enough units of a sufficient level to take on later maps once Fred starts to lose his lustre. Luckily Awakening has optional grinding, so you can make for it pretty easily.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

He's not actually Inigo if he doesn't have Rightful King. Chrom is the one true father.

Worst parent is Gregor, since he inherits literally 0 classes. But he still gets good stats, and Inigo inherits great classes from his mom anyway, so he's still good.

All of these characters need more levels before they get promoted. IMO. Get them to 20, otherwise you're wasting experience/stats/levels since the game will assume you got any levels between where you are now and 20. Makes your characters harder to level up and weaker in the long run.

Personally, I always promote Lissa first so she can actually do something besides healing and not need to be constantly covered by the others.

Anteo

This would only be a real problem if EXP was limited. Using Frederick just means you gotta put in more effort to get other characters up to speed when Frederick isn't just cutting it anymore due to his god awful bases.

Ah. Okay. I wish that was made more clear.

Yeah but why grind later on when you could have a smooth game? Frederick is usefull early though, just don't let him kill anything, give him the Bronze Sword MU carries and make him weaken the enemy first, that way you get easy kills for your team. His low speed means that he won't be 2x most units after a few chapters.

He can also take you out of sticky situations early, but still the idea is to not let him get kills unless necesary.

Draxal

crtl-f "Cordelia"

No results found. k

Cordelia's the third best. Dual Strike + is just amazingly good, and its why Lucina's the best second gen char if her mom's the fem mc.

He's not actually Inigo if he doesn't have Rightful King. Chrom is the one true father.

Worst parent is Gregor, since he inherits literally 0 classes. But he still gets good stats, and Inigo inherits great classes from his mom anyway, so he's still good.

All of these characters need more levels before they get promoted. IMO. Get them to 20.

I honestly think Rightful King's overrated on Inigo when he has a metic shit ton of skill with limitbreaker, Libra's actually his best dad (tomefaire/dark magic) sides MC of course.

ohlawd

Do you feel the need to promote someone right now? I would just save it until later when one of them is lvl 20.

All Inigos are the best Inigos, just that some Inigos are better than other Inigos. There, fixed :p

I have Chrom x Olivia. My Inigo doesn't even have Rightful King equipped >_>

Shahadan

My Frederick got killed by a hammer hit early on, that almost felt good :p

Also am I wrong or the no weapon trick to aggro everything doesn't work anymore?

Wilsongt

Also am I wrong or the no weapon trick to aggro everything doesn't work anymore?

I think the AI is a bit smarter this time, as they actually go towards characters they can do significant damage to.

Unless they are Risen. Risen always charge.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly think Rightful King's overrated on Inigo when he has a metic shit ton of skill with limitbreaker, Libra's actually his best dad (tomefaire/dark magic).

Near-90% activation rates on Sol can't be overrated. He doesn't even need Dark Magic, just a good pair up and the rally bot to be in range.

Antiwhippy

Personally, I always promote Lissa first so she can actually do something besides healing and not need to be constantly covered by the others.

Hmm, true, but she's pretty useful now as she is. Hard is hard.

Do you feel the need to promote someone right now? I would just save it until later until one of them is lvl 20.

Does being lvl 20 affect anything?

I guess my units can handle themselves for now.

FemMC is leveling like crazy seeing how much I actually use her. So is Lissa.

Anteo

So, I shouldn''t be taking everyone out with me? I need to work out who I want to level and who I needn't bother?

There are easy ways to break the game with few units, have few units on stages to make those units level faster. You will break the game after a while, with your main units overleveling every enemy.
If you want to go for a regular run, try to go for your favorites and keep a balanced team with a couple of magic casters and have access to the whole weapon triangle in your units so you can use and counter lots of weapons/classes. (Lords like Chrom can use Lances after they promote btw)

Shahadan

So, I shouldn''t be taking everyone out with me? I need to work out who I want to level and who I needn't bother?

Well the best and quickest way to play is to choose a roster to use and keep a unit or two that can be useful in some situation (ex : a pegasus knight that can travel quickly to rescue recruitable units on some maps) but in this FE you can grind XP, so for once you actually can level everyone but it will just take more time.

It is an interesting method to gauge which characters are worth it or not, though.

They'll still attack you if you charge ahead. Just if there's someone more squishy within their range, it's not like they are going to attack the first unit they see.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, true, but she's pretty useful now as she is. Hard is hard.

Does being lvl 20 affect anything?

I guess my units can handle themselves for now.

FemMC is leveling like crazy seeing how much I actually use her. So is Lissa.

See my post above. Promoting with a master seal basically makes a unit level 21. If they are, say, level 15, and you promote, you're jumping from 15->21, and skipping all those levels worth of experience and stats. The game assumes you got them when it calculates your experience rate though, so by promoting early you hurt yourself in the long run due to poorer experience growth relative to your current stats.

Those un-gotten levels are also counted when you second seal, and impact your internal level. So basically they're stuck with you forever even though you didn't get them.

Basically, it makes shit harder down the line.

Draxal

Near-90% activation rates on Sol can't be overrated. He doesn't even need Dark Magic, just a good pair up and the rally bot to be in range.

Which turns out to be 80% without RK and in all honesty, you are probably running out of skill slots to use on Inigo (galeforce/limitbreaker/sol/aggressor are mandatory imho, I'd much rather use armsthrift/faire skill than rk in that slot especally when there is relatevily few merc/dark mages combos in the game).

Antiwhippy

See my post above. Promoting with a master seal basically makes a unit level 21. If they are, say, level 15, and you promote, you're jumping from 15->21, and skipping all those levels worth of experience and stats. The game assumes you got them when it calculates your experience rate though, so by promoting early you hurt yourself in the long run due to poorer experience growth relative to your current stats.

Those un-gotten levels are also counted when you second seal, and impact your internal level. So basically they're stuck with you forever even though you didn't get them.

Basically, it makes shit harder down the line.

Alright, I'll save it then. With the rate I'm going I probably could get to 20 pretty soon.

Should I marry now or wait till I promote then units, or does it not matter?

Wilsongt

Ah, sucks that it seems like the PAL version still has the StreetPass glitch.

I think you mean Kieran, not Kevin. :p

Kevin is his Japanese name. It just came to me before Kieran did. =P

Alright, I'll save it then. With the rate I'm going I probably could get to 20 pretty soon.

Should I marry now or wait till I promote then units, or does it not matter?

Marry Chrom before Chapter 11, or else the game forces someone to marry.

Top Bottom