• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

CorvoSol

Today I recruited
Inigo, Kjelle, Brady, Cynthia and Severa.
Of these, I would say
Inigo and Severa are the best, and Cynthia is as awful and bland as her mother and father.

ohlawd

Today I recruited
Of these, I would say
Inigo and Severa are the best, and Cynthia is as awful and bland as her mother and father.

Before I go to bed, I'd like to say that the 2nd female you recruited is awesome and I would love to get it on with her.

Good night!

Simzyy

I'm playing Normal/Classic and am about 2 hours in, does Normal get significantly harder than this? Its far too easy at the moment

Sendou

I'm playing Normal/Classic and am about 2 hours in, does Normal get significantly harder than this? Its far too easy at the moment

If anything it gets easier IMO. Somewhere after the chapter 8-10 that is. Depends. If you avoid battling outside of story missions you might have harder time.

Simzyy

If anything it gets easier IMO. Somewhere after the chapter 8-10 that is. Depends. If you avoid battling outside of story missions you might have harder time.

Should I restart on a harder difficulty then? Or is the story good enough for the first playthrough?

Sendou

Should I restart on a harder difficulty then? Or is the story good enough for the first playthrough?

I think it's not that much harder on hard. I have heard DLC missions are actually hard though. Don't worry about it. If you feel like you're having it too easy just avoid any unnecessary grinding outside of the story missions.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ok guys, quick promotion/class change enquiry. When is it best to change their class and ensure you got all the related skills with it? Is there a max level and so fourth? etc. I don't want to make a mistake and get the best out of all my units you see!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ok guys, quick promotion/class change enquiry. When is it best to change their class and ensure you got all the related skills with it? Is there a max level and so fourth? etc. I don't want to make a mistake and get the best out of all my units you see!

Whenever really, but the earlier the easier and faster.

No, no, no, not earlier if you are doing the class change--unit promotion, in this case--for the 1st time.

For the 1st time only: level up your basic class to 20 since the game treats your promoted units as 21 regardless when you promote them in terms of exp. If this is your 1st time promoting units, basically you "waste" easy level up/stat gains if you promote your class earlier than 20.

However afterwards, feel free to change class every time you manage to snag a skill that you want. For advanced class its 5 and 15, for DLC class and special class (like Manakete or Taguel) its 1 and 15, and for basic class its 1 and 10.

Lies! Most units go to lvl 20 I think. If you promote earlier you skip all that delicious stat growth!

When reclassing, it's better early really, you don't really lose levels and your leveling doesn't suffer much. Promoting at 20, yeah unless you're in a hurry, but class changes not necessarily at 20.

Edit: Wasn't reclassing your current lv + lv you class changed at divided by 2 though?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
No, no, no, not earlier if you are doing the class change--unit promotion, in this case--for the 1st time.

For the 1st time only: level up your basic class to 20 since the game treats your promoted units as 21 regardless when you promote them in terms of exp. If this is your 1st time promoting units, basically you "waste" easy level up/stat gains if you promote your class earlier than 20.

However afterwards, feel free to change class every time you manage to snag a skill that you want. For advanced class its 5 and 15, for DLC class and special class (like Manakete or Taguel) its 1 and 15, and for basic class its 1 and 10.

Thanks Banana, all this information is handy!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thanks Banana, all this information is handy!

For Manakete and Taguel, be mindful to the fact that they can transform to an Advanced Class using Second Seal only at level 30. Anything less than that, using Second Seal on them will get them only basic class.

So... it might have been preferable to transform characters like Panne or Nowi on level 10 into a basic class (their Taguel/Manakete skills are not that good and is locked to their original forms anyways), and then promote them to an Advanced Class at level 10.

Also Donnel, it's alright to promote him at 10. Or 15, if you want his final Villager skill.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just started the game yesterday after having finished Luigi. And I'm alreay loving it. OMG finally a new Fire Emblem! And it's product value seems so...GOOD.

BowieZ

Banned
So I just failed to level up Donnel in the first side story (in fact I killed him)... is there any way to retry it so I can successfully add him to the team?

McNum

What skills are interesting to go for for the initial Manaketes? Looking at Nowi, she has Mage and Wyvern Rider as options for reclassing. I don't really see her doing well as a Mage, but Dark Knight has Lifetaker. And Wyvern Rider branches into two classes with a breaker skill each. Then back to Manakete after that, because, well, dragon. Amusingly, she has access to both Quick Burn and Slow Burn. I wonder what happens if you have both...

Have I got the general idea on what to do when it comes to grinding later? That's an awful lot of levelups needed there.

So I just failed to level up Donnel in the first side story (in fact I killed him)... is there any way to retry it so I can successfully add him to the team?
If you've saved? No. If not, reload and try again. L+R+Start is soft reset.

Don't save and load your previous save file?

If you screwed something up, you rather roll with it or start again.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Just... reload your save...?

What skills are interestin to go for for the initial Manaketes? Looking at Nowi, she has Mage and Wyvern Rider as options for reclassing. I don't really see her doing well as a Mage, but Dark Knight has Lifetaker. And Wyvern Rider branches into two classes with a breaker skill each. Then back to Manakete after that, because, well, dragon. Amusingly, she has access to both Quick Burn and Slow Burn. I wonder what happens if you have both...

Have I got the general idea on what to do when it comes to grinding later? That's an awful lot of levelups needed there.

Well, you might want to go Wyvern Rider for the eventual Swordbreaker in Wyvern Lords to counter Wyrmslayer... *but* an enemy wielding it is very rare, although yeah generally speaking sword users are the worst considering they tend to have very high speed and skills.

I generally go Dark Knight for her for Lifetaker, then to Wyvern Lord and Griffon Rider for sword/lancebreaker. Yes..., I grind a lot in DLC Content to prepare for DLC Content, hahaha.

BowieZ

Banned
Don't save and load your previous save file?

There is no retrying in Fire Emblem besides the DLC missions. If you screwed something up, you rather roll with it or start again.
thanks guys (i saved but over a different slot)

i thought for sure the side stories would let u retry, just like if you or Chrom die in battle and you get a Game Over screen

PS, sexy avatar! ;)

daakusedo

I chose hard difficulty given it said it was for people who know fire emblem, but it's tight, I don't even have the luxury to help level up the lower characters, it has been like that since the save Maribelle mission, I have 3 or 4 characters stucked in lv2, I hope there's something not too late to level up easier.

Just started the game yesterday after having finished Luigi. And I'm alreay loving it. OMG finally a new Fire Emblem! And it's product value seems so...GOOD.

lol so you think -- until you've spent upwards of US $40 on the DLC.

they are way too good at reeling me in

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I chose hard difficulty given it said it was for people who know fire emblem, but it's tight, I don't even have the luxury to help level up the lower characters, it has been like that since the save Maribelle mission, I have 3 or 4 characters stucked in lv2, I hope there's something not too late to level up easier.

Just be sure to go with a core group and stick with it throughout the game. Do not try to spend your exp evenly to all characters, because it will bite you in the ass later on.

Of course, disregard the advice above if you are using DLCs :)

lol so you think -- until you've spent upwards of US $40 on the DLC.

they are way too good at reeling me in

I... I bought them all :(

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alright, cool.

That mission was a bitch and half by the way. Starting your entire army in the forest for limited movement was not cool. :p

Thank god for pegasus knights.

daakusedo

Just be sure to go with a core group and stick with it throughout the game. Do not try to spend your exp evenly to all characters, because it will bite you in the ass later on.

Of course, disregard the advice above if you are using DLCs :)

I have problem with Sumia, Sully, Donnel and Stahl, so I can drop them all?
Sumia is not so stucked through, with the ability to move a lot, I can more easily help her finish dying enemies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I have problem with Sumia, Sully, Donnel and Stahl, so I can drop them all?
Sumia is not so stucked through, with the ability to move a lot, I can more easily help her finish dying enemies.

Well, I don't recommend you drop Sumia or Sully because... well, it's spoilerish, but let's just say their well being is related to two other recruitable characters with their own maps at a later part of the game.

Donnel... you are playing on hard, yeah? Hmm well, I can see how it is difficult to level him up without DLC maps. But once he reach level 10 and can be promoted to Mercenary, he will kick all sorts of asses in the main game no problem. To reach level 10 as a Villager should you wish to keep him, I suggest pairing him up with Frederick for extra defense, strength, and movement--very valuable to allow him to finish up enemies for extra XP. But of course, this means you foresake someone's spot for Frederick... so your choice.

If you already use Sully, I suggest you drop Stahl. In fact, just drop Stahl altogether, if he is not doing great with you, because chances are, he will keep doing that more often than not (not doing great I mean) since his growth is rather average all across the board. He lacks Speed too, which is a huge no no since Speed is arguably the most important stat in FE games, this game no different.

And unlike Sully, Stahl is not related to any recruitable characters in the future chapters.

For core units I suggest people like Cordelia, Panne, and Lon'qu. For mages you can stay with Lissa or Maribelle (I stick with Lissa personally, but use both of them if you want. Both of them, like Sully, are related to certain recruitable characters in later part of the game so if you intend to get all the pokemons it is wise to train them)

I don't recommend people like Vaike or Stahl if you don't intend to use DLC maps.

Today I recruited
Of these, I would say
Nope. Cynthia's actually pretty great, IMO. I'm grinding up supports in my file and just got her C-A supports with Male Morgan and then looked up their S-Rank on YouTube (I had already married Cynthia to Inigo on this playthrough (currently on my second) and was working on getting Severa's supports with Morgan so they could be married), and Cynthia+Male Morgan quickly rose up the ranks to one of my favorite of the child pairings I've seen so far because of how adorable it is and how they really do seem to complement each other pretty well, so she gets major props for just that.

Also, Cynthia's supports with Owain are pretty amazing. Granted, that's more due to Owain's role in them than her's (her supports with him really are some of Owain at his best), but still, she's the reason those supports exist, so I just can't bring myself to hate on her.

And on a bit of a sidenote, if you've already gotten Owain as well, be sure to check out his supports with Inigo (at least their first two, though I suppose their A-Rank is pretty funny as well).

daakusedo

Donnel... you are playing on hard, yeah? Hmm well, I can see how it is difficult to level him up without DLC maps. But once he reach level 10 and can be promoted to Mercenary, he will kick all sorts of asses in the main game no problem. To reach level 10 as a Villager should you wish to keep it, I suggest pairing him up with Frederick for extra defense, strength, and movement--very valuable to allow him to finish up enemies for extra XP. But of course, this means you foresake someone's spot for Frederick... so your choice.

Ok with the whole explanation, it's more clear now. About the quoted part, I just want to know if pairing them is let Donnel close to Frederick or really having them as one movable character, because I think when paired up Donnel won't attack and so no xp. And it's seems dangerous to have Donnel close to the heated battles Frederick is part of.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ok with the whole explanation, it's more clear now. About the quoted part, I just want to know if pairing them is let Donnel close to Frederick or really having them as one movable character, because I think when paired up Donnel won't attack and so no xp. And it's seems dangerous to have Donnel close to the heated battles Frederick is part of.

By pairing them I mean having them as one movable character, with Frederick at the rear and Donnel at the front. Occasionally Frederick join in for the kill too, which will net him tiny exp and Donnel gets the full xp for the felled enemy. This will increase Donnel's strength and defense so you have less danger of him getting killed. You still have to babysit Donnel to a degree though at least until you can promote him to Mercenary.

This might seem a lot of trouble but Donnel's growth is incredible due to Aptitude. And he is *guaranteed* to have HP and luck stat raised for every level up, meaning his armsthrift (that derives its activation from luck) skill will pay dividents later as you can use stuff like Killing Edges or powerful weapons with impunity without worrying about them breaking.

Ahhh... I also advise against using Frederick too much since he soaks up valuable exp that are better directed to other characters. His growth isn't bad but using him to kill enemies can seriously impede other, better character's chance to grow... again, particularly if you don't use DLC.

Shahadan

My Stahl is a killing machine. He kills everything without being paired up and no harm comes to him. He's level 13 or something and has like 17 or 18 in Strength.
Same for Kellam. Guy is hilarious.

I was thinking about ditching Lissa, whom I hate, for Maribelle. I also hate her but at least she's funny. WE ARE SUPERIOR.
I guess Lissa has better stats but still. I'm going to marry Maribelle to Donnel or something to piss her off.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My Stahl is a killing machine. He kills everything without being paired up and no harm comes to him. He's level 13 or something and has like 17 or 18 in Strength.
Same for Kellam. Guy is hilarious.

I was thinking about ditching Lissa, whom I hate, for Maribelle. I also hate her but at least she's funny. WE ARE SUPERIOR.
I guess Lissa has better stats but still. I'm going to marry Maribelle to Donnel or something to piss her off.

Yea, Stahl tend to have larger Strength and Defense than Sully, but he suffers from lack of Speed.

Kellam is great, especially as a Thief.

Lissa has higher MAG, although Maribelle is unsurpassed in LCK. Also, if you care about optimization, I advise against marrying Maribelle to Donnel since well... one less Galeforce user!

Realyn

I only played the Wii Fire Emblen and started on hard/classic until chapter 4 or so to get a grip of things.
Then restarted lunatic/classic but got kinda frustrated on chapter 2. I know it's doable, but you have to rely on some kind of rng luck like the hammer guy on chapter 1.

So, back to hard/classic from stretch(no reloading btw - if someone dies ... he dies ;)). This time I started with speed as strength and luck as weakness iirc. Right now I'm on chapter 6 and feel like I kinda steamroll things :/. Unlike my first tries I didn't try to spread the exp at all.
I promoted my heroguy on lvl 20 recently and she is up to lvl 3 again. I'm using her with Fred(lvl 4) as support.
Chrom is 16 or 17 and allways paired with Sully. Both pairs are married allready.
Besides that I'm using the fat shield guy(sorry, I'm rather new to FE and can't keep track of all the names) paired to the high crit sword wielding guy.
The last spots are usually Lissa, even tho I rarely need her heals, Miriel and Virion for rangeds support.

And well, so far it's stupidly easy once you figure out the pairing stuff. I can just run around with either my hero or Chrom pair and attack attack attack without having to worry at all. Will it get harder at all or did I kinda brake the difficulty with those 2 pairs for the next couple of stages? I really enjoy the game, but the difficulty spread between hard and lunatic is kinda meh so far.

Sorry for reposting this, but will the game get even more easy? Thinking of starting another Lunatic savefile again.

McNum

When pairing up to train a lowbie, wouldn't the best partner be the Avatar? That skill that increases XP gained while paired up, does that also count for the partner unit? Like a Donnel/Avatar pair, will Donnel also get +50% XP?

Top Bottom