• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Realyn

When pairing up to train a lowbie, wouldn't the best partner be the Avatar? That skill that increases XP gained while paired up, does that also count for the partner unit? Like a Donnel/Avatar pair, will Donnel also get +50% XP?

I can't look at the exact wording now, but I'm very sure it's something like "the avatar receives 50% if ...". I've also tried pairing up the avatar with another char and it didn't seem to give more exp.

McNum

I can't look at the exact wording now, but I'm very sure it's something like "the avatar receives 50% if ...". I've also tried pairing up the avatar with another char and it didn't seem to give more exp.
Well, I guess it's for the better. No need to make Tactician/Grandmaster even more powerful.

Would have been a neat little trick, though.

Sendou

Do you think there's another Fire Emblem in the works?

A FE of this quality could make me buy a Wii U.

I think after Awakening being a relatively succesful product we'll see Fire Emblems on both Wii U (even after SMTxFE) and 3DS. Fire Emblem goes Mars or something.

Jintor

Is anybody else getting abnormally sensitive card problems? My fucking game card gets removed if you so much as lightly touch the cartridge. Gotta bookmark the game every time on public transports, can't just close the lid like normal. Repeated this fucking paralogue three times so far because of it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is anybody else getting abnormally sensitive card problems? My fucking game card gets removed if you so much as lightly touch the cartridge. Gotta bookmark the game every time on public transports, can't just close the lid like normal. Repeated this fucking paralogue three times so far because of it.

?

Weird.

I carry my 3DS in my bag all the time and this never happened to me. Also on public transport, buses, etc etc.

In fact this is the first time I've ever heard this kind of problem o_O

ramyeon

I think I'm terrible at this. I gave up on Chapter 6 because someone died every time. Now I have restarted the second paralogue about 4 times because someone always dies at the very end...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, seems like a problem with your 3DS. I play it on the train just fine.

Mine is all shiny and new. Though the shiny part might not be because of the new part.

Jintor

Yeah, seems like a problem with your 3DS. I play it on the train just fine.

Mine is all shiny and new. Though the shiny part might not be because of the new part.

Wish i could afford an XL. I'm squinting over Fire Emblem. Enjoyed Luigi's Mansion 2 on the Devkit XL we got sent, too.

Antiwhippy

Yeah that's why I don't buy launch hardware, other than just being broke most of the time. The only time I broke that rule was for a Nexus 7, and I got a creaky screen to show for it.

At least it's not noticeable. Most times.

Moff

I think I'm terrible at this. I gave up on Chapter 6 because someone died every time. Now I have restarted the second paralogue about 4 times because someone always dies at the very end...

I am terrible at round based strategy, too.
I enjoy Awakening on normal/casual, no problem.

And although I think its a bit silly to reset the 3DS when someone dies, I totally understand that dying characters is a major appeal of this game, but I have to accept that I neither have the tactical skills nor the patience to play it as its intended.

cluderi

Holy crap @ Donnel.

Decided to power level him up for a laugh and now he makes Frederick look like a pacifist, I almost feel sorry for the enemy.

Draxal

Just play on casual/newcomer, either hard or normal, learn from the playthrough. Then play it again on classic if you need to.

ramyeon

Just play on casual/newcomer, either hard or normal, learn from the playthrough. Then play it again on classic if you need to.
Yeah I probably should have done that but being 4 hours in now I don't really wanna restart haha. I figure I just need to level a bit more so I went and did the random battles on the map and then beat the paralogue. Gonna retry chapter 6 tomorrow morning. Also started pairing more units and find that helps out a lot.
Holy crap @ Donnel.

Decided to power level him up for a laugh and now he makes Frederick look like a pacifist, I almost feel sorry for the enemy.
So what's the best way to level this guy? Because I had a hard enough time trying to get him to level up and survive the initial fight to recruit him.

Draxal

The story is very boring. I think it's the worst FE story, perhaps ever.
But thankfully there are some great support conversations.

This story lacks a really good villain.

So what's the best way to level this guy? Because I had a hard enough time trying to get him to level up and survive the initial fight to recruit him.

Forge up a bronze lance or log up to max mt. Have him last hit with either Kellam/Frederick/Vaike paired up with him.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The story is just bad in general. I don't expect a lot from FE stories, PoR and RD were the only two I've thought were pretty good, but this one is just... blah.

Pair him with someone like Frederick or Kellam for a strength boost (Frederick should offer at least +4 str and def), and let him finish off units that are low on HP. Eventually with the pair up boost he should be able to take hits on his own, and once you get to 10 (or 15 if you want the Underdog skill) reclass him to Mercenary and he will start his journey as a one man army.

Mercenary. Not Fighter. Both access the Hero class and Mercenary gets Armsthrift, which is better than anything Fighter gets.

You can also forge his bronze lance to help him do more damage, but I've never felt the need to do that.

cluderi

It's probably a terrible way to do it but I paired him with Chrom or Frederick and did the 1st/free Yyore map a few times. I'm on classic normal and had to do a couple of emergency rescue/heals.

Just started playing this. I decided to play with the mindset that if someone is dead they're dead, I will not load a save to get them back. Live with the consequences. First battle where you get new characters... one of them dies.

Virion

Maybe I'll know if you're good or not the next time I play through the game. lol

Nohar

True enough, I'm very disappointed with the story so far. It's not outright bad, just... Incredibly disappointing, especially after Fire Emblem Elibe and Fire Emblem Tellius.

Yo, if I max out a characters social link with another person to S rank does that mean they can no longer be joint in battle with other people to progress in rank or...?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yo, if I max out a characters social link with another person to S rank does that mean they can no longer be joint in battle with other people to progress in rank or...?

You can only get one S support per character. You can still raise all the others to A though.

Four's story is great for the medium, don't think anything could top it.

12 is the only Japan-only FE I have, and I have only played the prologue on that so far since other stuff/games (including Awakening) got in the way.

I will probably get 4 eventually since it's not unreasonably priced. Shame about 5 and 6.

one_kill

So I maxed out my avatar at level 20 and was wondering how do I change classes. I'm still quite early in the game (Chapter 7 or 8 I believe).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I maxed out my avatar at level 20 and was wondering how do I change classes. I'm still quite early in the game (Chapter 7 or 8 I believe).

Second Seal to switch to another base class, (s)he can access any non-special class available to their gender.

Master Seal if you want to promote to Grandmaster.

Personally I'd hit up some base classes for skills, especially Mercenary for Armsthrift, then you can promote to Hero for Sol at 20 or if you start hitting stat caps. Maybe Myrmidon for Vantage. Those are probably the two best base class skills you have available.

If you do get both, I'd say go Myrmidon->Merc->Promote to Hero.

Javier

If the next Fire Emblem is a remake of FE4 and FE5, I'm all for it. The tragic tales of Jugdral need to be seen by the whole world!

Nohar

You need a Master Seal. You will be able to get one in chapter 9 I believe. You can also buy some in shops (Anna may sell one).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dumb Q: Speaking of Anna's merchandise, what happens if Anna dies in one of the side stories (#2 I think)?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
@one_kill: it's better to promote to GrandMaster first. Then, you can second seal to whatever class you want.

I wouldn't say it's better. It just depends on what you want to prioritize, and if you want Ignis then Grandmaster first is worth it.

I hate going from promoted classes to base classes, it's all around bad since it lowers your stats across the board (significantly if you do it late) and it hurts your internal level more than if you hit all the base classes you want first.

Dumb Q: Speaking of Anna's merchandise, what happens if Anna dies in one of the side stories (#2 I think)?

I don't think anything happens if she dies in the first paralogue/side story she is in. It's worth saving her though since if she dies, the village is probably gone too, and the village gives you a physic staff.

She's in another paralogue/side story regardless of the outcome of the first one, that's where you want to save her for sure.

Antiwhippy

So, my avatar is 15 now. Should I second seal her? I like her as she is now but I'm wondering if I can benefit from changing classes. Thinking of going mage-heavy with her, so a dark mage is probably what I'd go after.

She's with chrom btw.

Or should I second seal chrom? Don't really want to be an archer and I'm not so sure about being a cavalier.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, my avatar is 15 now. Should I second seal her? I like her as she is now but I'm wondering if I can benefit from changing classes. Thinking of going mage-heavy with her, so a dark mage is probably what I'd go after.

She's with chrom btw.

Or should I second seal chrom? Don't really want to be an archer and I'm not so sure about being a cavalier.

You can second seal without any penalties at any level. It's going to calculate it the same way no matter what (adds [level - 1]/2 to your internal level). And if you're going magic heavy Dark Mage is a decent choice so you can have another dark magic user early, but you will want to hit Sage for sure for Tomefaire. Dark Mage skills are kind of lame, so you might consider going Tactician -> Mage -> Sage -> Sorcerer. Maybe others too depending on how much skill grinding you intend to do.

Cavalier is good for Chrom since he can use Discipline to build his weapon levels, and promote to Paladin for Aegis which is probably his best non-Lord skill. Archer class tree is useless for him, and unless you want Dual Guard+ there's not much point in going to Great Knight either.

So, can you tactician -> reclass -> grandmaster, or do you need to do tactician -> reclass -> tactician -> grandmaster?

You can only promote to specific classes from each base class. Grandmaster is exclusive to Tactician. If you're level 10 in a promoted class you can reclass to promoted class too, though.

For the classes I posted above, I'd go something like Tactician -> reclass to Mercenary -> promote to Hero -> reclass to Grandmaster.

Top Bottom