• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Never played any of the other installments in the series before and didn't know what to expect. I just finished Ch 2 and am loving this game :D

It looks fantastic in 3D.

Though one thing I cannot help but notice (during in game cutscenes) is that it seems all the characters have no feet. It's like they're sinking into the ground :p

Tenck

Never played any of the other installments in the series before and didn't know what to expect. I just finished Ch 2 and am loving this game :D

It looks fantastic in 3D.

Though one thing I cannot help but notice (during in game cutscenes) is that it seems all the characters have no feet. It's like they're sinking into the ground :p

My friend actually didn't play the game because of the feet :|

Semajer

Well, I just finished my first playthrough with about 40 hours on the clock. I enjoyed it, but I felt that the story, and pacing were lacking. I'm not sure if it's because it's a handheld game, but when compared to Path of Radiance (which I though did both spectacularly) it's very poor.

I can see them taking what they've started with in Awakening and easily build it into something fantastic for a sequel. A number of things like ranged magic, and light magic could be added, and they'd need to add some different mission requirements that aren't simply killing everything that can be killed.

Overall though I enjoyed the characters, and the large number of support conversations. I'm looking forward to more DLC, and it seems like we'll be getting the harvest DLC next, along with the money DLC.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I just finished my first playthrough with about 40 hours on the clock. I enjoyed it, but I felt that the story, and pacing were lacking. I'm not sure if it's because it's a handheld game, but when compared to Path of Radiance (which I though did both spectacularly) it's very poor.

I don't think you're alone. All things considered, it looks like Nintendo had IS kind of rush the game out the door. It has lots of content, but the problem is that the actual story is short, and basically everything that happens after around chapter 14 or so is all abrupt and very un-Fire Emblem-like. The games usually do a good job building things up slowly and more subtly. The first half of this game felt like any other FE game. The second half felt more like major plot point after major plot point like they were trying to hurry and get the story over with. The full story has the potential to match PoR + RD content-wise, but it has like a third of the total chapters.

The paralogue/side story maps also kind of indicate this. Some of them are reasonably meaty and might have been planned for potential story chapters, while others almost seem thrown together. This would also explain the lack of narration between chapters, this is the only FE game, at least since 7, to not have that.

So how hard are actually the DLC's? If one is 3 stars for example how does it compare to the story missions?

The stars are kind of meaningless since one ** map might be harder than another ** map. For example, Lost Bloodlines 2 is noticeably more difficult than Champions of Yore 3 even though they are both rated at two stars.

Basically, one star can be done very early in the game. Around the time the outrealm opens up or shortly after. Two star you'll probably want to be in the teens or starting to promote. Three star you will want to have promoted units. Four star is around end-game difficulty or a bit tougher, 5 star is harder than that. Then Strongest One's Name is a tier of it's own that basically requires you to have a game-breaking party.

Chrom

So how hard are actually the DLC's? If one is 3 stars for example how does it compare to the story missions?

I'm not sure, but it's my understanding that anything with four and above is considered harder than anything in the story.

Sendou

The stars are kind of meaningless since one ** map might be harder than another ** map. For example, Lost Bloodlines 2 is noticeably more difficult than Champions of Yore 3 even though they are both rated at two stars.

Basically, one star can be done very early in the game. Around the time the outrealm opens up or shortly after. Two star you'll probably want to be in the teens or starting to promote. Three star you will want to have promoted units. Four star is around end-game difficulty or a bit tougher, 5 star is harder than that. Then Strongest One's Name is a tier of it's own that basically requires you to have a game-breaking party.

I'm not sure, but it's my understanding that anything with four and above is considered harder than anything in the story.

Neat. Thanks!

Bururian

I just used a master seal to turn my tactician into a Grandmaster. Can you continually change classes, or is there a set limit on how many times troops can change classes?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just used a master seal to turn my tactician into a Grandmaster. Can you continually change classes, or is there a set limit on how many times troops can change classes?

You can change classes as many times as you want. But the more times you class change the slower your experience gain becomes.

The only limit is how much money you have (Golden Gaffe makes this a non-issue) and how much time you have to grind.

Bururian

You can change classes as many times as you want. But the more times you class change the slower your experience gain becomes.

The only limit is how much money you have (Golden Gaffe makes this a non-issue) and how much time you have to grind.

That makes sense, since the stats don't reset on a class change. My tactician has become such a beast that nothing can hit him once I have him paired up with his spouse.

Draxal

I don't think you're alone. All things considered, it looks like Nintendo has IS kind of rush the game out the door. It has lots of content, but the problem is that the actual story is short, and basically everything that happens after around chapter 14 or so is all abrupt and very un-Fire Emblem-like. The games usually do a good job building things up slowly and more subtly. The first half of this game felt like any other FE game. The second half felt more like major plot point after major plot point like they were trying to hurry and get the story over with. The full story has the potential to match PoR + RD content-wise, but it has like a third of the total chapters.

The story wasn't great in the first half of the game either, but it definitily lacked a strong villain in end game and was so rush/rush at the end. They could have handled the transition from the second boss
Walhart
to end game boss much better. That is also the point where the maps kinda became extremely open ended in pretty much every chapter too with no chokepoints, map design was definitely weaker nearer the end game.

ffdgh

That makes sense, since the stats don't reset on a class change. My tactician has become such a beast that nothing can hit him once I have him paired up with his spouse.

Thats because he/she has a skill called veteran which gives him or her 50% more exp when paired up with another unit.

Bururian

Thats because his gives a skill called veteran which gives him/her 50% more exp when paired up with another unit.

oh-ho! THat's even more interesting. So much to learn. This is my first Fire Emblem game, despite having Sacred Stones on my 3DS.

NeonZ

1 star can be done as soon as you get the outrealm gate.

2 stars can be done with characters with levels around 15-20. There are already promoted enemies, but only a few.

3 stars are around the end of the Valm story, I guess. Lost Bloodlines 3 still has unpromoted enemies, but throws the player against 50 units almost at once, several of them with legendary weapons, which can overwhelm lower level characters. Smash Brethrens 1 & 2 only have promoted enemies, but they aren't high level.

4 stars is already beyond the final chapters of story mode. Enemies are maxed or close to it depending on the difficulty level. It's quite a jump from 3 stars. Well, the only exception is Smash Brethrens 3, which only stands out due to having a high number of promoted-only enemies, but the enemies aren't that strong by themselves.

5 stars is even further beyond the final chapters. It's not a jump nearly as big as between 3 and 4 though. The enemy stats aren't generally much higher than in 4 stars, the main difference are the battle conditions. Rogue and Redeemers 3 just has a very high number of enemy units, while all the maps in the Challenge pack have some kind of special feature/objective, like protecting Annas or one hp floor spikes.

There's also the final DLC map, which is still Japan-only and rated MAX difficulty. It pretty much assumes the player has other DLC content, especially the Limit Break skill from Rogues and Redeemers 3, and maxed out characters.

dc89

Finally, a day off and I can finally play this game for more than just 20 minutes! that's all I've played so far, time for Chapter 1.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The story wasn't great in the first half of the game either, but it definitily lacked a strong villain in end game and was so rush/rush at the end. They could have handled the transition from the second boss
Walhart
to end game boss much better. That is also the point where the maps kinda became extremely open ended in pretty much every chapter too with no chokepoints, map design was definitely weaker nearer the end game.

I felt like the first story arc was sort of like the Lyn arc in FE7. It basically acts as a tutorial and is sort of a story in and of itself, but in this case it plays a bigger role in the overall story too. The story progression in that part of the game felt a lot more like the rest of the series (that I've played) than the rest of the game did.

I feel bad for your friend, they're missing out on a great game.

I agree. The feet are very creepy. Its some real dark commentary on Chinese feet binding culture that I just find plain distasteful. It had no place being in the game. Tsk tsk Fe and tsk tsk to 84 for translating such a game.

Draxal

I felt like the first story arc was sort of like the Lyn arc in FE7. It basically acts as a tutorial and is sort of a story in and of itself, but in this case it plays a bigger role in the overall story too. The story progression in that part of the game felt a lot more like the rest of the series (that I've played) than the rest of the game did.

Yeah, I thought it was more like fighting Darin on the dread isle in fe7 or the reuniting of the twins in fe8. The traditional first real story boss of the game. That transition afterwards in this game was really rushed.

Anteo

I'm now in Ch 20 and basically doing the stages with 3 units. Had to drop Miriel, Lissa and their supports because they could not survive ch 19. Now onto Ch 21

SkyandSun

Banned
I've been stuck on chapter 5 in hard for about 3 days now. One of my units always dies at some point, and I want to keep them all alive - the only one I guess I don't mind losing is that little brat child in the stupid hat.

Any tips?
I try to get to the forts as early as possible to stop reinforcements coming in, and can block the path leading down to the starting point with a strong unit. But then the wind riders fly in and zerg my weak units.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've been stuck on chapter 5 in hard for about 3 days now. One of my units always dies at some point, and I want to keep them all alive - the only one I guess I don't mind losing is that little brat child in the stupid hat.

Any tips?
I try to get to the forts as early as possible to stop reinforcements coming in, and can block the path leading down to the starting point with a strong unit. But then the wind riders fly in and zerg my weak units.

Hard to give specifics without knowing who your primary units are. You can save Maribelle and Ricken since there is a safe spot nearby (hit X to view the enemy movement range and see it). They will need to pair up since it is only one space.

On that map I think I rushed the narrow path with my strongest units (if your Sully or Stahl are fairly strong they are good for leading, pair them up for some further stat boosts, Kellam is also good but might need a high movement range unit to get him up there) and had a guy or two in the back to take care of the ones to the left. Virion is good for taking out the wyverns due to their weakness to arrows, or Ricken since he comes with Elwind and wyverns have poor magic resistance + wind weakness.

Reinforcements aren't endless, I think there are only a handful so just worry about holding your ground around the fort above the narrow path. Once you've settled in there you should be able to branch out and pick off everything else, and the handful of reinforcements that come in shouldn't be too big of a deal. Just watch their range.

Shahadan

Any tips?

keep your stronger units north and send your avatar paired up with a high def unit west.
Mages will destroy wyverns.

And if all else fails, go grind on the free dlc map.

When I beat Chapter 5. I never thought of using the safe spot to pair up (I guess its manditory on Lunatic but knowing IS they added some ranged units to make you hate life)...I kind of left Ricken to his own devices (killing the mercenary other units had weaked...or in the successful run leaving the guy with 1 HP :( having to finish him turn 2) even though I paired up in the end to march to safety.

Also the rescue staff might help with getting that pair to safety (it'll only be a few spaces but it helps). The fact I had that available was the breakthrough that inspired me to finish the map (I didn't end up using it in the end).

Nohar

I was wondering: I can do the children related paralogues whenever I want? There's no risk of them disappearing after a while?

Anteo

I was wondering: I can do the children related paralogues whenever I want? There's no risk of them disappearing after a while?

Be sure to recruit the children though. Some people on casual have missed Severa because she died before being recruited. They thought it would be okay because casual=comes back next chapter but if the character is not on your party, they won't come back.

Quixzlizx

I started the game this weekend (on Normal/Classic) and I was cruising along dominating everything until my avatar, who was at full HP, got OHKO'd by a critical hit ranged counterattack, at which point I ragequit for the night.

I think I stopped playing Fire Emblem GBA entirely after a character got OHKO'd from full HP by an assassin who had jumped out of fog of war.

How often does this happen?

T.O.P

Banned
I didn't want to buy a 3DS for now...but fuck it

inX9Uat4JKXLn.jpg

Waiting for it to charge, can't wait to try this game :3

MicH

Just finished chapter 8! Nowi is all kinds of cool, I relly enjoy those types (Panne, Nowi) of characters. I also managed to get another Second Seal, but I don't think I'm gonna use it yet. I desperately need a Master Seal to promote my Avatar as he's already level 19!

I'm at a point where most of my (used) units can hold their own. I've pretty much dropped Miriel and Stahl, but Donnel and Sumia have really become strong. And Ricken just destroys stuff! Really happy with what I have going and hey - I just got a Killing Edge from an enemy in that last map! Wooho, time to use Lon´qu again!

Chrom

I started the game this weekend (on Normal/Classic) and I was cruising along dominating everything until my avatar, who was at full HP, got OHKO'd by a critical hit ranged counterattack, at which point I ragequit for the night.

I think I stopped playing Fire Emblem GBA entirely after a character got OHKO'd from full HP by an assassin who had jumped out of fog of war.

Well, Fog of War doesn't exist in this game.

Anteo

On Normal? Only if you try to train everyone at the same pace. Otherwise your characters should be high enough so they can't get crit that easily.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Remember that critical damage is 3x normal damage, and you can see the critical rates in the battle forecast. So at least on your turn you can see whether or not it will kill you and what the chance is. Even if it's just a few percent chance, it's worth being cautious, I got a game over on my second playthrough on the prologue since the boss managed a 8 or 9% critical hit.

See if another unit with more luck negates the critical percent, or pair up and try it since that can boost luck and defense.

And no class has innate critical hit rates like previous games, and Assassin's can't automatically 1HKO without the Lethality skill which you can see if you check their stats. So in that regard, this game is less threatening than others.

Can attack skills stack? For example, could a character trigger Astra and then one of those five attacks trigger Sol?

This would make Myrmidon the most broken class tree, since you could combo Astra + Lethality on an Assassin.

Chrom

The game basically treats all five Astra strikes like one single attack, except you can proc crits with any of them.

This is why Dual Guarding against Astra attacks always blocks every single one of them, and that Dual Strikes never happen in the middle of Astra.

Classic Hard, finished chapter 5 earlier. Ricken didn't make it, but everyone else did. This was the first time I had defeated the boss with enemy units remaining on the field, was kind of surprised that they didn't yield. Does it affect their stats if the boss unit has been felled?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm pretty accustomed to L+R+Start. I just can't stand to see one of my main units die! It's definitely forcing me to consider moves a lot more than if the difficulty was lowered, and subsequent victories feel well won when enemies are tougher.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Classic Hard, finished chapter 5 earlier. Ricken didn't make it, but everyone else did. This was the first time I had defeated the boss with enemy units remaining on the field, was kind of surprised that they didn't yield. Does it affect their stats if the boss unit has been felled?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm pretty accustomed to L+R+Start. I just can't stand to see one of my main units die! It's definitely forcing me to consider moves a lot more than if the difficulty was lowered, and subsequent victories feel well won when enemies are tougher.

You let Ricken die, that's a failure!

I can't really say much though, because I don't think I touched him in my current playthrough after that chapter. He's still sitting there at like level 4 Mage.

As for killing the boss, it just depends on what the objective is. In this game it's pretty much always route enemy (kill them all) or kill the boss. It tells you in the preparation menu, I think.

This was the first time I had defeated the boss with enemy units remaining on the field, was kind of surprised that they didn't yield.

It just wasn't a map that only required to beat the boss. There are mostly only two kinds of missions, defeat all enemy units, or defeat the boss. Chapter 5 was the former.

Chrom

Not at all. The boss doesn't influence the enemies' stats like that.

Link Man

Banned
Just finished chapter 8! Nowi is all kinds of cool, I relly enjoy those types (Panne, Nowi) of characters. I also managed to get another Second Seal, but I don't think I'm gonna use it yet. I desperately need a Master Seal to promote my Avatar as he's already level 19!

I'm at a point where most of my (used) units can hold their own. I've pretty much dropped Miriel and Stahl, but Donnel and Sumia have really become strong. And Ricken just destroys stuff! Really happy with what I have going and hey - I just got a Killing Edge from an enemy in that last map! Wooho, time to use Lon´qu again!
You might want to Second Seal your avatar into a mercenary (Armsthrift is nothing to sneeze at, and you get good stat growth).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It just wasn't a map that only required to beat the boss. There are mostly only two kinds of missions, defeat all enemy units, or defeat the boss. Chapter 5 was the former.

There is one paralogue/side story that is basically a defend chapter, but you do still have to kill all the enemies for it to actually end. Same with another that is basically an escort mission, but once the escort part is done it resorts back to routing the enemies.

Wiseblade

No they don't, as cool as that would be.

The game basically treats all five Astra strikes like one single attack, except you can proc crits with any of them.

This is why Dual Guarding against Astra attacks always blocks every single one of them, and that Dual Strikes never happen in the middle of Astra.

Yeah, now that I think about the way this game works, that would be ridiculously overpowered. Imagine Chrom/Female Avatar S-Rank Pair up triggering Astra with each hit having a chance of triggering Ignis and each hit having an 80% chance of a dual strike.

MicH

You might want to Second Seal your avatar into a mercenary (Armsthrift is nothing to sneeze at, and you get good stat growth).
I could definitely do that. However I've only been using tomes with my Avatar, so I'll have to start from scratch with swords. Is it better to reclass him first and then later go back and promote him to Grandmaster?

McNum

Well, I totally didn't see that coming. Just completed chapter 9.
Emmeryn. A pacifist ruler of the home country of the hero in a Fire Emblem game? I'm surprised she made it this far. Of course, now Gangrel must die, but you know, Fire Emblem. Gotta have a midboss or nemesis. Looking forward to seeing what kind he will be. Money's on midboss. He's no Black Knight.

So I gave Nowi a go, she's pretty powerful, actually. But that Dragonstone keeps on ticking down... 35 uses left. I hope I can get a new one soon, it's kind of hard to level her up if she doesn't have that.

I got my first rage-quit! Virion got introduced to an axe to the face. Repeatedly. My mistake, didn't see that Wyvern Rider. Also got Lissa attacked on the retry, but she dodged. I was way too sloppy on that map.

Also, Sully/Vaike can now S-support. I kind of like those two together. Maybe I should just tie the knot with them. I think I'm also shipping Lon'Qu/Panne. Both no nonsense fighters, seems fitting. I'm also thinking of taking the chance to get Chrom to make the most awkwardly timed proposal to Sumia.
My sister just committed suicide, want to get married?"
Any reason to hold back on either of those pairings?

Fire Emblem Awakening: Come for the fantasy strategy, stay for the shipping.

EDIT: Have a question about Dual Attacks. Do they proc per attack? I've seen Chrom follow up twice on Sumia's attacks once. If so, it's pretty cool, considering they have 60+% chance of a Dual Attack.

Top Bottom