• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Wiseblade

Huh, just had a Risen pop up where there already was a Risen on the map. Actually have a ton of Risen there at the moment. What does it mean when there are two Risen on the same dot?

I need to clean some of those out, they're blocking the shops.

That just happened to me too. When I cleared them out I got magic dust and 3K at the end as a bonus.

From now on I won't even bother with Risen unless they're doubling up.

Well I don't think the game goes from 100 to 0, it's just that Ch. 10 is the best chapter on the whole game, it doesn't get better than that. Also is not Ch 10, is Ch 9 + Ch 10 the best part of the game.

Edit: Of course, if Ch9 + Ch10 does nothing to you, you may find another chapter to be the best on the game.

I see. Damn, I really love the politics of Fire Emblem so it'll be a bit weird for me for this game to not have much but then this game has tons of great stuff so I guess it won't really matter in the long run.

A shame it only applies to plumbers :p

The real issue are the feet. What is wrong with the characters feet? Why are they so tiny, and why do they sink in to the ground? How are they standing up if all they have for balance is nubs? It really brings me out and unsuspends my disbelief. 3.75/10 would not replay

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Really? Damn. Can you say how it goes downhill without spoiling anything? :(

Not really. Other than what I mentioned earlier - the second half of the game feels rushed. Apart from that it would be spoilers.

A couple things I particularly didn't like, for similar reasons, a mid-game spoiler and a late game spoiler.

Having your party trapped in an enemy castle/base after finishing a chapter, surrounded by traitors supporting the empire with the enemy supposedly marching toward you. Then the game has you conveniently escape since the traitors let you go, and it's only mentioned in passing as the next chapter is about to start.

Then an even bigger deus ex machina plays out in chapter 23. The events from the premonition at the beginning of the game play out... but then it's revealed that the party was secretly planning things that wasn't shown to the player. That character isn't actually dead! The Avatar saw that this was all going to happen in a dream and weakened his attack! It's completely ridiculous and makes no sense.

Thank you all for the quick replies! Difficult's fine as long as it isn't impossible, and I don't think I can afford to buy more than one or two packs- I'm going to try lunatic next and was under the impression grinding was near impossible on it anyway? Spotpass/Risen giving no XP?

You can only grind on the DLC in lunatic, spotpass gives no exp and the Risen spawns are all way too strong to fight.

Lunatic isn't too bad outside the very beginning, Dark Magic is still broken and apparently with some good skill setups you can still break the game.

Thanks everyone! So I go directly to Myridon and then promote to Hero. Great!

Those Energy Drops and Saph Robes (I think that's what they're called). Are they only for one battle? I must have misinterpreted the description :p

You can't go from Myrmidon to Hero, you would go from Mercenary to Hero. From Myrmidon you can go to Swordmaster or Assassin. Swordmaster has better skills (namely Swordfaire, but also Astra), but Assassin is a better "final class" due to it's stats/caps.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I see. Damn, I really love the politics of Fire Emblem so it'll be a bit weird for me for this game to not have much but then this game has tons of great stuff so I guess it won't really matter in the long run.
Yes, the politics of Tellius were amazing,
Awakening's story is horrible in comparison, imo.

ffdgh

Huh, just had a Risen pop up where there already was a Risen on the map. Actually have a ton of Risen there at the moment. What does it mean when there are two Risen on the same dot?

I need to clean some of those out, they're blocking the shops.

Beat them and you'll get 3k gold and an item.

Link Man

Banned
Thanks everyone! So I go directly to Myridon and then promote to Hero. Great!

Well, Myrmidon promotes into Swordmaster (which gives you Astra, 5 half-power hits in place of one ordinary hit) or Assassin (which gives you Lethality, an automatic OHKO if it connects). If you want Hero, promote from Mercenary.

Anyway,

tumblr_mjv8mwBWjD1rs8qebo1_500.jpg

From this tumblr, which has quite a lot of FE art (some spoilers).

Anteo

Not really. Other than what I mentioned earlier - the second half of the game feels rushed. Apart from that it would be spoilers.

A couple things I particularly didn't like, for similar reasons, a mid-game spoiler and a late game spoiler.

Having your party trapped in an enemy castle/base after finishing a chapter, surrounded by traitors supporting the empire with the enemy supposedly marching toward you. Then the game has you conveniently escape since the traitors let you go, and it's only mentioned in passing as the next chapter is about to start.

Then an even bigger deus ex machina plays out in chapter 23. The events from the premonition at the beginning of the game play out... but then it's revealed that the party was secretly planning things that wasn't shown to the player. That character isn't actually dead! The Avatar saw that this was all going to happen in a dream and weakened his attack! It's completely ridiculous and makes no sense.

What? It makes sense to me, specially since part of the plan was replacing
one of the stones, so Validar's power from the ritual wasn't as strong as he though, allowing MU to weaken his/her strike.
In fact that part was one of my favorite parts of the game, with the real evil trying one last thing to keep his plan moving forward after that.

That just happened to me too. When I cleared them out I got magic dust and 3K at the end as a bonus.

From now on I won't even bother with Risen unless they're doubling up.

Then, I guess you'll probably not bother with Risen ever again, since it's more likely that the Risen will disappear or spawn in a new spot as you keep expanding your world map.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What? It makes sense to me, specially since part of the plan was replacing
one of the stones, so Validar's power from the ritual wasn't as strong as he though, allowing MU to weaken his/her strike.
In fact that part was one of my favorite parts of the game, with the real evil trying one last thing to keep his plan moving forward after that.

I just hate that sort of plot twist. It comes out of nowhere, there's no tease, no hint. The game just pulls it out of it's ass since the story is backed into a corner.

Then, I guess you'll probably not bother with Risen ever again, since it's more likely that the Risen will disappear or spawn in a new spot as you keep expanding your world map.

Yeah, once you start getting 30+ map locations the chances of a double spawn is really small. I think I've had three Risen x2 spawns and just a couple Risen + Merchant spawns in my 150 hours.

MicH

You can't go from Myrmidon to Hero, you would go from Mercenary to Hero. From Myrmidon you can go to Swordmaster or Assassin. Swordmaster has better skills (namely Swordfaire, but also Astra), but Assassin is a better "final class" due to it's stats/caps.

Well, Myrmidon promotes into Swordmaster (which gives you Astra, 5 half-power hits in place of one ordinary hit) or Assassin (which gives you Lethality, an automatic OHKO if it connects). If you want Hero, promote from Mercenary.
Oh, thanks for letting me know that, haha. So to Hero, reclass to Myrmidon and then go either Swordmaster or Assassin. Is it better to go back and become Grrandmaster or just stay at Swordmaster or Assassin? Or is all this way too much :p Icould just go straight for Myrmidon right now without promoting to Hero.

Wiseblade

I just hate that sort of plot twist. It comes out of nowhere, there's no tease, no hint. The game just pulls it out of it's ass since the story is backed into a corner.

Yeah, once you start getting 30+ map locations the chances of a double spawn is really small. I think I've had three Risen x2 spawns and just a couple Risen + Merchant spawns in my 150 hours.

Can I at least use reeking boxes to forcibly double the number of risen on a map?

Can I at least use reeking boxes to forcibly double the number of risen on a map?

Nope, the game won't let you.

I guess you could spawn a risen in EVERY open space you got and eventually you'll get a double risen encounter. You know, unless the game actually puts a limit in the number you can spawn.

I don't hate it, but it bothers me too.
We're supposed to believe that we, the player, came up with a genius plan about 5 chapters ago without even as little as a subtle hint or foreshadowing that we had such a brilliant plan when the only mention of a plan from Chrom and us was "fuck fate the power of friendship triumphs over everything"?

Nohar

Just recruited Cynthia (note that in my playthrough, she's
Lucina little sister
). Well, she has rather funny supports. I'm not sure if I want to use her though. So many child characters, so few spots in my team to use them...
Donnel and Sully's daughter is a walking fortress. I love that girl, she's basically invincible.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, thanks for letting me know that, haha. So to Hero, reclass to Myrmidon and then go either Swordmaster or Assassin. Is it better to go back and become Grrandmaster or just stay at Swordmaster or Assassin? Or is all this way too much :p Icould just go straight for Myrmidon right now without promoting to Hero.

I guess it depends on what your goal is. Don't let us determine your strategy. Your avatar has access to every class of their gender so there are a ton of potential set ups you might want to try, and tons of skills you could go after.

And plenty of classes are good classes to finish in. Grandmaster is a good balanced magic+physical class, Sorcerers are overpowered due to Dark Magic, Heroes and Assassins are both good physical classes. Paladins if you like mounted units. Generals aren't bad either for smaller maps.

If you just want to play through the main game, I'd say just go to Hero from Mercenary. At level 5 you will get Sol, which is really good. Then you can reclass to Grandmaster at level 10. Honestly, I'd recommend just doing this, once you start getting a better feel for skills and combinations, you can start another file for a "better" playthrough, especially if you want to tackle the challenging DLC.

Just recruited Cynthia (note that in my playthrough, she's
Lucina little sister
). Well, she has rather funny supports. I'm not sure if I want to use her though. So many child characters, so few spots in my team to use them...
Donnel and Sully's daughter is a walking fortress. I love that girl, she's basically invincible.

Child characters are better than the first gen ones in general since they have better stat caps and more skill options.

Link Man

Banned

Really, you should play as you want to. Going for both Swordmaster and Hero will take a lot of grinding, so if you're not into that, promote to Hero for Sol (heals for half the damage you do, directly tied to Skilll stat) or reclass to Myrmidon from Mercenary for Vantage (always attack first if HP<half) and promote to Swordmaster or Assassin.

As for Grandmaster, Ignis is nice, but if you want to use magic, most any other magic class is probably better (with Sorceror having the highest magic stat and access to dark magic).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Really, you should play as you want to. Going for both Swordmaster and Hero will take a lot of grinding, so if you're not into that, promote to Hero for Sol (heals for half the damage you do, directly tied to Skilll stat) or reclass to Myrmidon from Mercenary for Vantage (always attack first if HP>half) and promote to Swordmaster or Assassin.

As for Grandmaster, Ignis is nice, but if you want to use magic, most any other magic class is probably better (with Sorceror having the highest magic stat and access to dark magic).

Sorcerer actually has slightly lower magic than Sage, but it's still worth it for Dark Magic. Characters with the Sage + Sorcerer combo are the best, since you can get a Sorcerer with Tomefaire.

Shahadan

Crap I just noticed that my units killed Tharja during a enemy turn skip. And I finished the chapter and saved. Oh well. Next playthrough then.

Draxal

Sorcerer actually has slightly lower magic than Sage, but it's still worth it for Dark Magic. Characters with the Sage + Sorcerer combo are the best, since you can get a Sorcerer with Tomefaire.

Also need Merc just because of how much of a pain in the ass farming Aversa's Night is. A Sorceror with a forged Aversa's night + sol is pretty much invincible.

Kurtofan

Huh are the Baba predictions based on something or what?

Two of my marriages seem to be failed marriages according to him :(

Virion and Miriel, Lissa and Vaike.

Also what do I get if I wait to level 20 to upgrade my Avatar's class?

I've finally got a second married couple (outside of Chrom's devastatingly forced relationship I did not approve of), the magical duo of Tharja and Ricken.
I feel odd marrying off a kid like Ricken but those two are attached at the hip, pretty much literally as Ricken has basically been a pair up accessory bolted to the side of Tharja that has made her quite possibly the most destructive force in my army, for some reason enemies keep lining up to get annihilated by her, I guess they figure she's one of them weak and vulnerable defence mage types but Tharja sure as hell can take her hits, if she isn't dodging them of course.

Lon'qu and Cordelia are next on the marriage cards, come on Lon'qu, you'll surely get over your damn fears when faced with that lovely lass and meanwhile my unit is working his magic on Olivia, WHY IS THIS ASPECT SO ODDLY ENJOYABLE?!

I need more manly men on this team, why'd they all have to go and die? oh yeah, my incompetence, right.

Turok_TTZ

I find it relatively hilarious that I will be avoid using "faire" skills. could place "breaker" or Aegis/Pavise skills instead. Meanwhile Just trained my dlc Ike , catria, est to obtain more skills. Gotta grind to do R&R3 quickly. why is it so hard to get ragnell :( :( :(.... no matter how many times I play infinite regalia, that sword eludes me to this day. instead I get everything else thats not ragnell.

Nothing like a bigger slap to the face than playing Infinite Regalia only to get one parthia and 2 Nidhoggs in one run. all bows. two of the same bows which I will probably never use (since I already had those). Almost made me ragequit. Vengeance, Astra, Luna was bad but at least est, catria wud use the luna lance and one of my heroes can call dibs on vengeance if helswath/hauteclere weren't available.

grrrr.... gonna train spotpass Sophia, Lililna, or dlc Celica to wield Book of Naga hehe. haven't made up my mind since giving a Sorceress Sol and combine that with a forged Aversa's Night allows for maximum recovery on hit. dat full damage = health recovered with Sol triggered. one of my female avatars who is a sorceress has a skillset of LifeForce, Sol, Renewal, Tomebreaker, Limitbreak with an optional galeforce or miracle. One would think I've just go with that one but FE6 is my favourite FE game and I wanted Sophia/Lilina on my team moment I learned they were available. decisions...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Huh are the Baba predictions based on something or what?

Two of my marriages seem to be failed marriages according to him :(

Virion and Miriel, Lissa and Vaike.

Also what do I get if I wait to level 20 to upgrade my Avatar's class?

They are completely random.

And you don't really "get" anything if you wait until 20, except a better Fire Emblem experience. Promoting early means you are skipping levels, meaning your stats are low relative to your experience gain. That means your unit will basically be "too weak" and make things harder as they fall behind.

Spike

After deleting my save game file by accident, I have been replaying to get to the point where I originally was. Except now I am grinding. I have Chrom and Sumia Married, as well as Sully and Stahl. I am working on Lon'qu and Cordelia, and Tharja and Libra. Who should I go with for Olivia? I was thinking either Gaius or Robin. And how about Cherche? Does she get Olivia's reject, or someone else? I am working on Tharja and Libra, then I saw that barracks clip where Tharja wants Robin to like her. Hmm...

Also, I have used Master Seals on:

Chrom - Lord to Great Lord
Robin - Tactician to Grandmaster
Lissa - Healer to Sage
Sumia - Pegasus Knight to Dark Flier (basically want to get Galeforce and pass it to Lucina)
Donnel - Villager to Mercenary

Am I doing this right? Any suggestions?

I know someone earlier in the thread said to choose a specific group and go with them rather than trying to level up everyone in the party. What is a good group?

Shahadan

Nintendo asked me to answer a survey following my digital purchase of Awakening.

Oddly they ask how many title I've played in some series where Xcom and SMT/Persona appear. Wat.

Also WoW :lol:

McNum

Just tried that spot with two Risen on it. Ouch. Much ouch. That might be doable later, but that was a pretty onesided fight. I guess if I just brought in my Avatar, Chrom and Sumia, and Vaike and Sully, I would stand a small chance, but... eep. Way too many enemies at the same time.

Also noticed another EU retranslation. "Skimish" is now "Challenge".

So, what should I do first? Chapter 10 or Side Story 4?

Draxal

After deleting my save game file by accident, I have been replaying to get to the point where I originally was. Except now I am grinding. I have Chrom and Sumia Married, as well as Sully and Stahl. I am working on Lon'qu and Cordelia, and Tharja and Libra. Who should I go with for Olivia? I was thinking either Gaius or Robin. And how about Cherche? Does she get Olivia's reject, or someone else? I am working on Tharja and Libra, then I saw that barracks clip where Tharja wants Robin to like her. Hmm...

Also, I have used Master Seals on:

Chrom - Lord to Great Lord
Robin - Tactician to Grandmaster
Lissa - Healer to Sage
Sumia - Pegasus Knight to Dark Flier (basically want to get Galeforce and pass it to Lucina)
Donnel - Villager to Mercenary

Am I doing this right? Any suggestions?

I know someone earlier in the thread said to choose a specific group and go with them rather than trying to level up everyone in the party. What is a good group?

Robin's a good dad, and Olivia's son is one of the best chars in the game so that's fine, I'm cool with breaking him even more. I'd give Gregor to Cherche, and you'll have a monster monster Gerome. Only thing is that you need a second seal to make Donnel a villager instead of a master seal.

Kurtofan

They are completely random.

And you don't really "get" anything if you wait until 20, except a better Fire Emblem experience. Promoting early means you are skipping levels, meaning your stats are low relative to your experience gain. That means your unit will basically be "too weak" and make things harder as they fall behind.

Oh shit, thanks for the tip, I evolved Lon'qu too fast :(

I should be fine on normal though?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That survey seems determinated to know what we think about marriages ingame :lol:
I think it's here to stay.

Noooooo.gif

I like Awakening and all, but it will be really disappointing if they use it as a blueprint for the future of the series. And that's pretty likely given it's success.

Shahadan

Noooooo.gif

I like Awakening and all, but it will be really disappointing if they use it as a blueprint for the future of the series. And that's pretty likely given it's success.

In any case they have been chasing dat expanded audience money for three games now, the success of Awakening proved them right. I fear we won't get anything like Tellius again, but maybe it was what it was because of the platform, same for Awakening.

I really hope they'll work on the story aspect.
Marriages and pairings can stay for all I care, I kinda like them.

just finished chapter 4 and can now download DLC maps,

BUT THE SERVERS ARE DOWN :(

Still loving the game though.
But man lots of new stuff opening up and not really explaining it all yet, why, if or how I should use certain things.

Soulhouf

Noooooo.gif

I welcome it if they manage to fix what they did in Awakening because it was terrible. Also they need a new scriptwriter, or ask Kaga to come back.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
In any case they have been chasing dat expanded audience money for three games now, the success of Awakening proved them right. I fear we won't get anything like Tellius again, but maybe it was what it was because of the platform, same for Awakening.

I really hope they'll work on the story aspect.
Marriages and pairings can stay for all I care, I kinda like them.

Yeah, the Tellius games are my favorite games in the series, among the ones I've played obviously.

I think my bigger problem with the marriages is all the otaku anime junk that it brings with it. From a gameplay standpoint I don't really mind it. Pairing and the dual system have potential, but they need work similar to how they (mostly) fixed reclassing for this game.

I don't really like the world maps or grinding at all though. I mean, I'm enjoying it here, but it makes the main game a lot less fulfilling to me. Feel the same way about FE8.

Wiseblade

Yeah, the Tellius games are my favorite games in the series, among the ones I've played obviously.

I think my bigger problem with the marriages is all the otaku anime junk that it brings with it. From a gameplay standpoint I don't really mind it. Pairing and the dual system have potential, but they need work similar to how they (mostly) fixed reclassing for this game.

I don't really like the world maps or grinding at all though. I mean, I'm enjoying it here, but it makes the main game a lot less fulfilling to me. Feel the same way about FE8.

Really? after Sacred Stones I got really accustomed to it. Radiant Dawn disappointed me because I still wanted to goof around with my 20/20/20 characters and the Endgame didn't really let me go wild. Storywise, the Tellius games are easily the best, but that doesn't even show up on the radar of reason why I play FE games.

Soulhouf

Exactly.
Did you play FE4? The marriage system in that game is way better than Awakening.

One of the things i've always loved about this series is that it traditionally steered clear of straight up grinding opportunities, as such the levelling curve was well defined, as long as I went around shanking every poor red sod on each map i'd pretty much have a balanced team, not too powerful, not too weak.
So i've chosen to so far avoid every risen skirmish and i'm heading towards chapter 16, a few previous chapters made me think that i'd slipped into being underpowered which bugged me a bit, yet chapter 15 was a lot easier to handle, so i'm not sure yet how well handled the levelling curve is if you skip the optional map encounters (though i've been doing side story stuff as well).

The Tellius entries did a nice job with bonus exp as a way to help boost up units that needed it.

Shahadan

World map's return and the grinding are obviously designed with newcomers in mind, I think. Probably won't get away now.

But the grinding is kinda optional and it's a good way to make everyone usable. I mean with the number of turds Radiant Dawn had in the roster, it can be really frustrating to go with a character just to be screwed later with no way to repair the damage.

I don't really want to read faqs before playing to know which characters are worth my time, and I don't like to pass on characters having interesting/funny things to say because their growths are shit.

But I agree, the modern anime shit is not what I want on my FE.

Top Bottom