• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Moonlight

Banned
I could definitely do that. However I've only been using tomes with my Avatar, so I'll have to start from scratch with swords. Is it better to reclass him first and then later go back and promote him to Grandmaster?
It doesn't really matter either way, the way experience works in the game, but it would probably be more efficient to class into Mercenary first. You can promote into a Grandmaster, and have access to all the other alternative second and first tier classes once you use another Second Seal, but if you class into a first tier class, you'll need to use another Master Seal to promote back up again. Basically, you save more time and waste less 'easy levels' by promoting into Mercenary first.

Quixzlizx

Remember that critical damage is 3x normal damage, and you can see the critical rates in the battle forecast. So at least on your turn you can see whether or not it will kill you and what the chance is. Even if it's just a few percent chance, it's worth being cautious, I got a game over on my second playthrough on the prologue since the boss managed a 8 or 9% critical hit.

See if another unit with more luck negates the critical percent, or pair up and try it since that can boost luck and defense.

And no class has innate critical hit rates like previous games, and Assassin's can't automatically 1HKO without the Lethality skill which you can see if you check their stats. So in that regard, this game is less threatening than others.

Thanks for the advice on mitigating critical hits. For some reason I take it way more personally in strategy games than when, say, the MC gets Hama/Mudo'd in Persona.

Chrom

Have a question about Dual Attacks. Do they proc per attack? I've seen Chrom follow up twice on Sumia's attacks once. If so, it's pretty cool, considering they have 60+% chance of a Dual Attack.

They can after every attack, yeah. Only exceptions would be the aforementioned Astra (Dual Strikes would only happen after Astra finishes), and Aether (since it's multiple strikes acting as one attack). It even works regardless of range, but I want to say that I'm not sure if this applies to Mire or not.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I totally didn't see that coming. Just completed chapter 9.
Emmeryn. A pacifist ruler of the home country of the hero in a Fire Emblem game? I'm surprised she made it this far. Of course, now Gangrel must die, but you know, Fire Emblem. Gotta have a midboss or nemesis. Looking forward to seeing what kind he will be. Money's on midboss. He's no Black Knight.

So I gave Nowi a go, she's pretty powerful, actually. But that Dragonstone keeps on ticking down... 35 uses left. I hope I can get a new one soon, it's kind of hard to level her up if she doesn't have that.

I got my first rage-quit! Virion got introduced to an axe to the face. Repeatedly. My mistake, didn't see that Wyvern Rider. Also got Lissa attacked on the retry, but she dodged. I was way too sloppy on that map.

Also, Sully/Vaike can now S-support. I kind of like those two together. Maybe I should just tie the knot with them. I think I'm also shipping Lon'Qu/Panne. Both no nonsense fighters, seems fitting. I'm also thinking of taking the chance to get Chrom to make the most awkwardly timed proposal to Sumia.
My sister just committed suicide, want to get married?"
Any reason to hold back on either of those pairings?

Fire Emblem Awakening: Come for the fantasy strategy, stay for the shipping.

EDIT: Have a question about Dual Attacks. Do they proc per attack? I've seen Chrom follow up twice on Sumia's attacks once. If so, it's pretty cool, considering they have 60+% chance of a Dual Attack.

You'll get another Dragonstone at the end of Chapter 11, and a shop opens with them after you beat chapter 12.

Dual strike procs per attack and not per turn. As previously mentioned this does not include skills with multiple attacks, but it DOES include Brave weapons(!), on both characters. This means two characters paired up, both with brave weapons, could get a total of 12 attacks in one turn. (4x for the lead, 2x each time for the dual strike for the second character).

And Sumia x Chrom is okay, not the best option but not the worst either. Vaike x Sully isn't bad. I don't think I'd give Lon'qu to Panne though.

McNum

They can after every attack, yeah. Only exceptions would be the aforementioned Astra (Dual Strikes would only happen after Astra finishes), and Aether (since it's multiple strikes acting as one attack). It even works regardless of range, but I want to say that I'm not sure if this applies to Mire or not.

Double attacking suddenly became a lot more powerful... Can you proc a skill on a Dual Strike? Like Sumia attacks, Chrom follows up with Aether?

You'll get another Dragonstone at the end of Chapter 11, and a shop opens with them after you beat chapter 12.

Dual strike procs per attack and not per turn.

And Sumia x Chrom is okay, not the best option but not the worst either. Vaike x Sully isn't bad. I don't think I'd give Lon'qu to Panne though.
Eh, Lon'qu/Panne is not set in stone, they've just built up a C support naturally. I just found them amusing together. Gruff bunny who hates humans and gruff swordsman who can't talk to women. But both are sort of on my "Maybe" list for core team. They're nice, but not impressive... yet?

-Horizon-

I didn't want to buy a 3DS for now...but fuck it

inX9Uat4JKXLn.jpg

Waiting for it to charge, can't wait to try this game :3
You made the right choice.

MicH

It doesn't really matter either way, the way experience works in the game, but it would probably be more efficient to class into Mercenary first. You can promote into a Grandmaster, and have access to all the other alternative second and first tier classes once you use another Second Seal, but if you class into a first tier class, you'll need to use another Master Seal to promote back up again. Basically, you save more time and waste less 'easy levels' by promoting into Mercenary first.
Excellent. Thank you for explaining that to me!

ffdgh

Do watch out for enemies with counter while having astra on. It'll probably kill your unit before you kill the enemy.

My current ringtone is Expedition (Fire)

Are there any animes out there similar to Fire Emblem? I've been itching to watch something because of those killer CG sequences.

I've already seen the official Fire Emblem anime, Tears to Tiara, Record of Lodoss War, Scrapped Princess, and Sword Art Online (I dunno, permadeath)

Danneee

Damn this game is fun. I'm still on chapter 7. Just grinding northern road trying to get everybody to level 10 at least. My avatar just class changed to grand master at level 20.

A tip for people leveling that farmer kid, pair him with that big hulking knight. That wayhe almost always get a hit in and gains exp.

Anteo

4 hours from Ch 1 to endgame. I think I can cut a couple of hours changing my strat next time.

Edit:
And finished! Thanks to two Aethers from Chrom on the same turn.

Anteo

Run complete!

My rules where:
- No DLC, no Random Battles, do everything possible to finish the game fast. The in game clock is what matters this run. Not the actual time spend.
- No marriage, No deaths allowed. (as I'm going to collect supports this time)
- Hard/Classic Dificulty.

Ok thoughs on this run:

- Miriel and Lissa were good at the begining just like my last no-grind run. However they quickly fell behind. Lissa was a surprise though, in my last run, even with no grind she was my best unit overall until the last 2-3 chapters, she was +10 levels over everyone all the time. This time she could not keep up, then again I was trying to rush the game so no time for heals here and there and abuse enemies to heal more.

- I wanted to have at least 6-7 units to the endgame but it was clear after (post ch 12 spoilers)
Walhart on Ch 19
that my best chance was to rush with 3 units + their supports. Virion went from one of my main to Panne's support. Chrom and the other lord supported each other and MU with Sayri.

- I was using Lon'q until I got Say'ri. She had better stats than him and he was lvl 3 at the time, so I just dropped him.

- Around 4 hours to get from Ch1 to the endgame, it was a little too much imo. I think I can make it faster by just training Panne, Chrom and MU early and adding the other lord, Sayri and someone else later. Maybe Cordelia or Cherche. Two of the manaketes are an option but is one extra chapter to get her and the other is a child unit so that won't work.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Okay map design could use some work, but this is pretty good.

Are any of the DLC worth it if I don't care about fanservice characters/loot? Like, extremely fun/tightly designed chapters?

Chrom

Are any of the DLC worth it if I don't care about fanservice characters/loot? Like, extremely fun/tightly designed chapters?

I think you might like the DLC in the Challenge Pack series: Death's Embrace, Five Anna Firefight, and Roster Rescue. These DLC maps are supposed to be challenging to complete, hence the name, and compared to the other DLC, they're much more unique.

I'd also recommend Lost Bloodlines 2 and Smash Brethren 2 if you're interested in the DLC classes, since Dread Fighter and Bride are very good to have.

Anteo

You may want to get Summer of Bonds for extra conversations between characters.
Challenge pack is really hard and there is The Strongest One that features units with stats above the cap.

Check the other dlc, 2 new classes, the Paragon skill (exp gained x2), Limit Breaker skill (+10 to stats caps) and the Cheat Maps(easy gold/exp/legendary weapons) that make it easier to get to a point where Challenge maps and The Strongest One are doable.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe the challenge pack? Though it will be difficult without grinding, even with a team that beat the game.

MicH

So I just reclassed my Avatar to Mercenary and got the Armsthrift skill. I will then level him to level 10 for the other skill, then what would be the best thing to do here? Promote him or reclass to something else or back to Tactician? Thanks

Just cleared Side Mission 3 :D I keep getting those str+2 or def+2 etc. I suppose it would be stupid to just use them on anybody. What is their best use - and should I save them or use them now?

Anteo

So I just reclassed my Avatar to Mercenary and got the Armsthrift skill. I will then level him to level 10 for the other skill, then what would be the best thing to do here? Promote him or reclass to something else or back to Tactician? Thanks

Just cleared Side Mission 3 :D I keep getting those str+2 or def+2 etc. I suppose it would be stupid to just use them on anybody. What is their best use - and should I save them or use them now?

Remember that 1st tier classes have low caps for stats so you will get to a point where you won't get any stats on level up. I say promote him so you can get more stats and new skills.

What kind of +2def are you getting? There are items that gives you stats that only last for one map and are buyable around. Now if you got one that permanently add stats (like the Dracoshield), use them when you want to boost a character that is failing behind, like adding some Def to Lisa.

Draxal

I'd xfer him to myrmidon, then get up to 10 then get to 15. You'd get vantage/astra/swordfaire out of the exchange which are all good skills.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Unless you are doing something specific the only other base class skill worth going for is Vantage (Myrmidon). If you want then go for it, if not just promote to Hero since you can get the Sol skill fairly quickly (level 5). Then from Level 10 Hero you can reclass to another promoted class.

McNum

Heh, I had a feeling the Vaike/Sully S-Rank conversation would go like that. Also married Chrom and Sumia, because, why not?

And those two pairs are pretty much the only two that came about naturally. Now who to pair up for the rest. My avatar has both Cordelia and Lissa as B, but that's the only supports above C anyone has with anyone at this point. I wonder what characters would fit well together, personality wise and class wise. Ah, well, figuring that out is part of the fun.

MicH

I'd xfer him to myrmidon, then get up to 10 then get to 15. You'd get vantage/astra/swordfaire out of the exchange which are all good skills.

Unless you are doing something specific the only other base class skill worth going for is Vantage (Myrmidon). If you want then go for it, if not just promote to Hero since you can get the Sol skill fairly quickly (level 5). Then from Level 10 Hero you can reclass to another promoted class.
Thanks everyone! So I go directly to Myridon and then promote to Hero. Great!

Remember that 1st tier classes have low caps for stats so you will get to a point where you won't get any stats on level up. I say promote him so you can get more stats and new skills.

What kind of +2def are you getting? There are items that gives you stats that only last for one map and are buyable around. Now if you got one that permanently add stats (like the Dracoshield), use them when you want to boost a character that is failing behind, like adding some Def to Lisa.
Those Energy Drops and Saph Robes (I think that's what they're called). Are they only for one battle? I must have misinterpreted the description :p

Anteo

Did you know cherry blossoms fall at the speed of 5 centimeters per second?
Wait... did she mention cherries...

I think I'm reading too much into that.

That fifth mission is really giving me a hard time ! rescuing those squishy characters really is a pain.

Did you do Paralogue 1? Use the rescue staff you get there to get Maribelle and Ricken out of the mountain.

Thanks everyone! So I go directly to Myridon and then promote to Hero. Great!

Those Energy Drops and Saph Robes (I think that's what they're called). Are they only for one battle? I must have misinterpreted the description :p

No, those are permanent. I was thinking about Tonics, like Speed Tonic (Grants +2 speed for one battle)

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe the challenge pack? Though it will be difficult without grinding, even with a team that beat the game.
Thank you all for the quick replies! Difficult's fine as long as it isn't impossible, and I don't think I can afford to buy more than one or two packs- I'm going to try lunatic next and was under the impression grinding was near impossible on it anyway? Spotpass/Risen giving no XP?

Anteo

Really? Damn. Can you say how it goes downhill without spoiling anything? :(

Well I don't think the game goes from 100 to 0, it's just that Ch. 10 is the best chapter on the whole game, it doesn't get better than that. Also is not Ch 10, is Ch 9 + Ch 10 the best part of the game.

Edit: Of course, if Ch9 + Ch10 does nothing to you, you may find another chapter to be the best on the game.

McNum

Huh, just had a Risen pop up where there already was a Risen on the map. Actually have a ton of Risen there at the moment. What does it mean when there are two Risen on the same dot?

I need to clean some of those out, they're blocking the shops.

Sendou

Huh, just had a Risen pop up where there already was a Risen on the map. Actually have a ton of Risen there at the moment. What does it mean when there are two Risen on the same dot?

I need to clean some of those out, they're blocking the shops.

Well it's just harder because there's suddenly a lot more Risens to be taken care of and two bosses. Also I think you'll receive an item for clearing it or something? I can't remember. Something special maybe.

Top Bottom