• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Gestahl

Exactly.
Did you play FE4? The marriage system in that game is way better than Awakening.

I preferred FE4's marriage system since different pairings or none at all tended to have dramatic consequences for the second generation, even if some pairings were obviously superior. Here the kids barely matter and different parents usually amount to a negligible change in stats and maybe a couple of classes missing

Bururian

Well, The Outrealm Gate is down for me, says there is matinence going on. Was going to purchase the EXPonential Growth map pack, too.

Gah, so earlier I said about how I had two second seals...nope its one second seal, one master seal. My tactician is also creeping towards level 20...someones going to be sitting on the bench (remember the second seal is Donny's).

Also I carelessly messed up chapter 7. I wanted to hit the sparky square so didn't want to kill the boss. I decide to get Miriel some EXP. Boss kills her. If I'd left Sully paired up she would have lived (with 1 HP) and maybe (chapter event)
I would have seen those reinforcements Cordelia was talking about...being cheeky (and looking it up) actually no, I would have killed the boss on player phase (I want the EXP from the reinforcements, especially as Virion is a monster with Wolt's Bow).

Draxal

Exactly.
Did you play FE4? The marriage system in that game is way better than Awakening.

Honestly they weren't that different. The big thing in 4 is that you could permanently screw up chracters by giving them the wrong parents, which is a bad thing imho. Every parent should be viable. And oh yeah spoilers ahead
pretty much every parent characters gets slaughered/or is rendered unplayable

But I agree, the modern anime shit is not what I want on my FE.

I'm sorry but the biggest anime trope I hate is all the furries and Tellius had way too many of them (and yes I do hate panne and Yarne).

Soulhouf

I preferred FE4's marriage system since different pairings or none at all tended to have dramatic consequences for the second generation, even if some pairings were obviously superior. Here the kids barely matter and different parents usually amount to a negligible change in stats and maybe a couple of classes missing

The sacred blood with that family tree and that tragic event that happens mid-game made the marriage system very interesting in the story and gameplay as well. They didn't have to use a ridiculous twist to justify the children. Everything felt natural and believable.

@chaosblade: please do! It's an old game but it was ahead of its time imo.

MicH

God I love this game - and this is my first Fire Emblem after briefly trying out Sacred Stones on my 3DS.

Just finished chapter 9 where I recruited the awesome Libra and the rebellian Tharja. One of the better chapters so far, the ending was intense! I enjoyed just watching Libra slaughter enemy units while I was setting up and dealing with reinforcements. He wiped out everyone with that War Axe critting everyone to death So damn awesome.

It has become clear that, like many others, Chrom is going to marry Sumia. She is the only female relationship he has :p So yeah. B relationship even!

Draxal

The sacred blood with that family tree and that tragic event that happens mid-game made the marriage system very interesting in the story and gameplay as well. They didn't have to use a ridiculous twist to justify the children. Everything felt natural and believable.

Yeah, but you can't use the twist in that every game. It's the reason that game will stand out for me for best plot.

Although, I would like a combined Blazing Sword/Binding Blade remake though, where you can expand the characters options in Binding Blade with the marriages you did in Blazing Sword.

Fireblend

Banned
My characters are approaching level 20 and I'm so lost with this second seal/master seal stuff. When Vyrion reached level 15 I reclassed him to a Wyvern Rider, and I immediately regretted it because now I have no archer, and I have to wait until he's level 10 to either reclass back or use a master seal + a second seal to make him a sniper which is what seems to me to make the most sense
KuGsj.gif
I really am not getting the point of second seals :p

Soulhouf

Honestly they weren't that different. The big thing in 4 is that you could permanently screw up chracters by giving them the wrong parents, which is a bad thing imho. Every parent should be viable. And oh yeah spoilers ahead
pretty much every parent characters gets slaughered/or is rendered unplayable

That's the best part. That way you always use all the characters you have and you're forced to use the children. I'm tired of having too many characters in the modern FE and not be able to use them all. I was a brilliant idea in 4. You can screw yourself, but the game almost guide you to do some pairings.
Radiant Dawn did a good job with different characters per chapter but you end up with so many of them in the end that it completely screw up all the efforts they did so far...

McNum

And that's Anna recruited. She's a pre-promote? Um... Is that good or bad in Anna's case? I mean I have a couple characters near 20, but most are in the 12-13-ish range. I like the Trickster class already, though. She can open locks, fight AND heal? That's an easy way to get on my good side in this game. She doesn't have a lot of supports, though. That's not good.

Well, it's playable Anna in a Fire Emblem game, so that's pretty neat, at least. She's like the mascot, isn't she? I've seen her in a lot of Fire Emblem games, at least. Ran the tutorial in Path of Radiance, if I remember right.

Draxal

That's the best part. That way you always use all the characters you have and you're forced to use the children. I'm tired of having too many characters in the modern FE and not be able to use them all. I was a brilliant idea. You can screw yourself, but the game almost guide you to do some pairings.
Radiant Dawn did a good job with different characters per chapter but you end up with so many of them in the end that it completely screw up all the efforts they did so far...

I think this is pretty much an agree to disagree here on these issues.I like the fact that I can choose what characters I can use.I like the fact that all kids are pretty viable no matter what (some might lose galeforce some skills but it's not gamebreaking in the end). I like the fact that all parents in this game are still viable in end game too.

Gestahl

That's the best part. That way you always use all the characters you have and you're forced to use the children. I'm tired of having too many characters in the modern FE and not be able to use them all. I was a brilliant idea in 4. You can screw yourself, but the game almost guide you to do some pairings.

RD would've been way better without the dozens of exp trap characters they had to of known were barely usable, like Lethe's sister and Fiona.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
And that's Anna recruited. She's a pre-promote? Um... Is that good or bad in Anna's case? I mean I have a couple characters near 20, but most are in the 12-13-ish range. I like the Trickster class already, though. She can open locks, fight AND heal? That's an easy way to get on my good side in this game. She doesn't have a lot of supports, though. That's not good.

Well, it's playable Anna in a Fire Emblem game, so that's pretty neat, at least. She's like the mascot, isn't she? I've seen her in a lot of Fire Emblem games, at least. Ran the tutorial in Path of Radiance, if I remember right.

Trickster has bad strength, but Anna is pretty good despite being a pre-promote. I used her in my first playthrough. She's pretty well rounded and can make a good Assassin or Sage, not crazy about any of her other classes.

And IIRC she has made an appearance in every FE game.

Soulhouf

FE4 is a great game, but it has tons of flaws. It's the most unbalanced in the whole series, for once.

Nothing beats Awakening when it comes to balance.

Sure, you can abuse boss leveling in FE4 (like in most of the other FE), but other than that, I don't see how it's the "most unbalanced".

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Been systematically making my way (aka grinding Risen here and there, along with the odd side story) through the game, currently at chapter 8. I guess I'm part of the expanded audience because I've been enjoying this emblem more than I did RD. The support system is great, no marriages yet (though I can make a few couples the moment I decide). No archers, all support is via mages, and that includes the avatar who's essentially Chrom's stats booster and suppress-fire support. Toughest chapter so far: 5. I saw a solution early on, but it turned out so fragile that the second suboptimal move would spell failure. So I replayed that one quite a bit. Eventually made it. Lost that invisible knight guy on the fist mission I had him in the party (a Risen grind), and that's been my sole loss so far. No regrets so far and I hope I don't regret that loss later on. We'll see.

So far so good. Actually, I feel like taking a day-off just to properly enjoy this game.

Javier

Nothing beats Awakening when it comes to balance.

Sure, you can abuse boss leveling in FE4, but other than that, I don't see how it's the "most unbalanced".
Sigurd/Celice can solo the game. Then you have Shanan, Ares, Levin!Sety, and Altenna to make the game even easier.

The game wants you to use everyone, but... there's really no need to. By late game more than half the cast is a liability.

Soulhouf

Sigurd/Celice can solo the game. Then you have Shanan, Ares, Levin!Sety, and Altenna to make the game even easier.

The game wants you to use everyone, but... there's really no need to. By late game more than half the cast is a liability.

IIRC they are all carrier of legendary weapons and you can't miss most of these characters. It was actually a way to balance the fact that you can screw yourself if you don't marry the parents.

@pariah164: Cherche makes a great War Cleric <3

Gestahl

Lon'qu's excuse for being a master swordsman terrified of women is pretty weak and flimsy if you've played Tales of the Abyss and are aware of the cliche at all. :/

I had a girlfriend once. She died.
has nothing on (TotA)
I can't stand women because as a child I was smothered in the fleshy corpse pile of what was once my family, maids and attendants
or however it went

Chrom

How much DLC is free? Or should I jump on the discounted DLC asap?

Only the first DLC is free. Since said DLC is also bundled together in a DLC pack, the pack's price is reduced until the DLC is no longer free.

Personally I bought the pack at the reduced price and think it's worth it.

Gvaz

Banned
So I started playing FE:SD and it's neat. Kinda.

I don't really like the lack of supports, and apparently you write yourself out of whole extra missions by not having Tiki dead and too many dudes recruited.

Like what....

TrueBlue

I married Chrom and Sumia together, and thus got Lucina. She's a Great Lord at the moment and has not got Galeforce, can I earn that skill through reclassing?

Draxal

I married Chrom and Sumia together, and thus got Lucina. She's a Great Lord at the moment and has not got Galeforce, can I earn that skill through reclassing?

Yes, once you hit 10 Great Lord (or 15 if you want Rightful King skill which is very good with Aether) you can class change to Dark Flier. It's the level 15 skill for that class.

Chrom

Yes, since she still has access to Dark Flier by having Sumia as her mother.

Javier

IIRC they are all carrier of legendary weapons and you can't miss most of these characters. It was actually a way to balance the fact that you can screw yourself if you don't marry the parents.
That's precisely how they unbalance the game. They're ridiculously overpowered, and even then you can solo both gen with the respective Lords.

There's a reason why people have made Balance patches of the game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
My random merchant has a second seal after chapter 6 for 2500 on sale. Should I grab it, or is it not that important atm?

Top Bottom