• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

-Horizon-

My random merchant has a second seal after chapter 6 for 2500 on sale. Should I grab it, or is it not that important atm?

I got quite a few second seals (and master seals) from the chapter battles alone that I didn't really need to buy them that early on but that's just me.

Ok so I've bitten on this because GAF seems to love it and it will get me Animal Crossing for free as part of the 4 for 3 EU deal.
It will arrive in a few days but I'm nervous now because I've never played a turn based rpg before and normally I'd avoid such types of game like the plague. So now I'm second guessing my purchase: How complex is the game in terms of being able to pick up, play and understand. Will I have a fucking clue what I'm doing?

-Horizon-

Ok so I've bitten on this because GAF seems to love it and it will get me Animal Crossing for free as part of the 4 for 3 EU deal.
It will arrive in a few days but I'm nervous now because I've never played a turn based rpg before and normally I'd avoid such types of game like the plague. So now I'm second guessing my purchase: How complex is the game in terms of being able to pick up, play and understand. Will I have a fucking clue what I'm doing?

It has a normal difficulty setting with casual setting so you don't lose characters over a careless mistake and it doesn't overwhelm you with all the mechanics so it is pretty good for newcomers. All in all it eases you into the gameplay.

This was my first fire emblem and I didn't feel it was overwhelming at all during any time, I will try lunatic soon though.

MicH

I was in the same boat as you. Really disliked strategy games and actually tried the Wii version and failed miserably. This one has ben a complete opposite! Very easy to get into, explains everything very well. I think you'll enjoy it as I have

one_kill

How does the inheritance mechanic with the offspring work?

Say if I got Lissa and Frederik to marry, will Frederik pass on his cavalier, knight, and wyvern rider class sets? Or will Owain only receive whatever Frederik has been characterised with?

Also, I'm assuming that you get the offspring characters in the side missions, right? Should I get particular skills first before meeting with the offspring characters?

ohlawd

yeah easily.

This isn't Final Fantasy Tactics.

It is straightforward as heck.

Select Unit 1, move them, attack an enemy if they're within range
Select Unit 2, move them, attack an enemy if they're within range
All your party members have finished acting.

It's the enemy's turn.
Enemy 1 moves, attacks if possible
Enemy 2 moves, attacks if possible.
All enemy units have finished acting.

Back to your team. REPEAT.

And as ffdgh, we're here to help and discuss waifus.

Chrom

I think the game breaks itself down pretty well enough to not lead people into being totally confused to play the game.

One neat thing about the game is that, in addition to its tutorial slide cards, it has a nice tooltip feature that explains information regarding pretty much anything you see on the bottom screen, which is home to a lot of important details regarding you and your enemies. You should try that out.

And of course, you're always free to ask GAF.

You can tailor this game to be as forgiving or brutal as you want, so you shouldn't have a problem. IntSys specifically made this game to be accessible to newcomers.

There is also a series of short tutorials peppered through the game dealing with all the systems, so you should be set.

ohlawd

How does the inheritance mechanic with the offspring work?

Say if I got Lissa and Frederik to marry, will Frederik pass on his cavalier, knight, and wyvern rider class sets? Or will Owain only receive whatever Frederik has been characterised with?

Also, I'm assuming that you get the offspring characters in the side missions, right?

Kids will get all the classes both of their parents have. (wowza, freaking genetics!)

Owain is male so he'll get all classes from his father. Frederik has (Cavalier, blah, blah) so Owain will get those.

Owain will also get the classes Lissa have that aren't gender exclusive so he'll get Priest line from her. But Owain will not be able to get Lissa's Pegasus Knight and Troubadour lines because those two classes are females-only. However, through magic voodoo, Peg. Knight and Trou. will turn into Myrmidon and Barbarian for Owain.

one_kill

Kids will get all the classes both of their parents have. (wowza, freaking genetics!)

Owain is male so he'll get all classes from his father. Frederik has (Cavalier, blah, blah) so Owain will get those.

Owain will also get the classes Lissa have that aren't gender exclusive so he'll get Priest line from her. But Owain will not be able to get Lissa's Pegasus Knight and Troubadour lines because those two classes are females-only. However, through magic voodoo, Peg. Knight and Trou. will turn into Myrmidon and Barbarian for Owain.
Freaking genetics indeed! Thanks for the explanation :)

CorvoSol

There's only one way to properly play that map.

Let us hear your answer.

I used the stone wall to basically build a box. All my best fighters in the squares between the wall and the edge of the map, so my mages, healers, and archers could move around freely within while the enemy armies broke upon guys like Donny like waves on rocks.

But yeah I challenged both armies.

So guys, im in chapter 6 and im loving the game, but I have some questions:
-How many friend conversations can a character have max? Like can you have 2 at A and one in S?
-I cant seem to get money to buy things at the stores at the moment, the most I found was a silver object that game me 5000 for selling it
-So ho0w to use the emblems, like I dont remember well, I played the Fire Emblem with Lyn on it and I remeber something about getting to level 20 that is the max and the using one of this emblems to change the class to a better one and have 20 more. Or it doenst work like that and my mind is fuzzy?

-How many friend conversations can a character have max? Like can you have 2 at A and one in S?
-I cant seem to get money to buy things at the stores at the moment, the most I found was a silver object that game me 5000 for selling it
-So ho0w to use the emblems, like I dont remember well, I played the Fire Emblem with Lyn on it and I remeber something about getting to level 20 that is the max and the using one of this emblems to change the class to a better one and have 20 more. Or it doenst work like that and my mind is fuzzy?

Only one S but as many A's as you are willing to get.
To make money, you are suppose to sell the bullions or stuff who's description basically says sell me for money.
Generally, that's how it works, but since exp is not limited in this game, you can just promote whenever you feel like it but the general rule is do it at 20 to squeeze out as much stat gains as you can before your exp gain is decreased.

ohlawd

-No limit for A rank, 1 in S (well kinda obvious since the one you have S rank with is your waifu/husbando

-Sell the bullion you get from killing enemies from playing through the story or random world encounters. Leif's Blade and Despoil (weapon and skill respectively, a chance to give you a bullion (s) after killing an enemy on your turn)

-It still works like that. Get to at least lvl 10 and use a Master Seal to promote to one of two stronger classes (Mercenary -> Bow Knight or Hero) or use a Second Seal to reclass.

Only one S but as many A's as you are willing to get.
To make money, you are suppose to sell the bullions or stuff who's description basically says sell me for money.
Generally, that's how it works, but since exp is not limited in this game, you can just promote whenever you feel like it but the general rule is do it at 20 to squeeze out as much stat gains as you can before your exp gain is decreased.

Thanks!
I thought there was a max to social links, good to know there isnt (apart from the S), because I just got one S with my character and Sully and didnt like much the story so I used the old save to continue and wait for other girls, and I was afraid there was a max number. The Sully muscle story is horrible lol.
-No limit for A rank, 1 in S (well kinda obvious since the one you have S rank with is your waifu/husbando

-Sell the bullion you get from killing enemies from playing through the story or random world encounters. Leif's Blade and Despoil (weapon and skill respectively, a chance to give you a bullion (s) after killing an enemy on your turn)

-It still works like that. Get to at least lvl 10 and use a Master Seal to promote to one of two stronger classes (Mercenary -> Bow Knight or Hero) or use a Second Seal to reclass.

Thanks also. Didnt know they were two type of seals.

Hmm since you're on ch.6, do not kill the thief with orange hair to the left on the map, talk to him with chrom.

Just beated that chapter, it was kinda obvious you needed Chrom to speak with him, but the bastard attacked me before I could talk and nearly killed me and himself in the process lol

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Yes, no one must kill Gaius. His seed is too important. Also, one of the better male characters.

So how many chapters do the game have, and is there and infinite number of random encounters so you can level yourself and make better social links before the ending?

25 main chapters or so, with like 23 or so paralogues.

Infinite amount of random encounters. You can even summon them using Reeking Boxes.

You can also summon the SpotPass teams to your hearts content for even more grinding.

And there's also the DLC maps too.

Grind your heart away!

25 main chapters or so, with like 23 or so paralogues.

Infinite amount of random encounters. You can also summon the SpotPass teams to your hearts content for even more grinding. And there's also the DLC maps too.

Grind your heart away!

25 and the 26th is named differently.

You got all the time in the world.

25 chapters with some side chapters
and random Risen encounters will almost always occur

Ok, I was afraid if I couldnt maximize things with nearly all the characters. I think im loving this game even more for that freedom of grinding lol

ffdgh

No she can't ;_;

She can never be a Hero unless the dad is the Avatar ;_;

That's......very odd but mostly sumia is to blame since shes very selective of guys she talks too....Donnel would have been good father for a purple haired cynthia.

Top Bottom