• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Maximus.

Quick question, so if I use a second seal or master seal, it will reset the characters level, but all their previous stats will be retained?

ffdgh

I'm team sumia/chrom so no issues there.

Cynthia lacks access to hero yet nightwing Gerome naturally has access to the class XD.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Quick question, so if I use a second seal or master seal, it will reset the characters level, but all their previous stats will be retained?

Not retained, adjusted.

Meaning say, if you reach a stat cap of 44 at Class A and transform to Class B which has a cap of, say, 34, then those 44 will be reduced to 34.

However, the game actually 'remembers' your stat before you do class change. Meaning if you go back again from class B to class A, your 34 stat will revert back to 44.

Stats not yet reaching their caps will be adjusted accordingly depending on the class, the same principle really.

NeonZ

They really want you to do Chrom/Sumia. Really.

It's kind of funny that Chrom/Sumia actually scored fairly low in an official popularity poll they've done about pairings in Japan, losing to both Chrom/Avatar and Chrom/Olivia. It'll be amusing if the next FE comes out and suddenly they're acting as distant from each other as Ike and Elincia in Radiant Dawn.

Although I guess a direct sequel seems kind of unlikely anyway, due to all the pairing complications, so at best we'd get Einhejar versions of the Awakening cast.

ohlawd

Yeah, reset back to lvl 1.

You'll never lose stat gains. When you reclass and you see some stats go up and down, that's just because the stats have adjusted to that class' base stats.

Maximus.

Not retained, adjusted.

Meaning say, if you reach a stat cap of 44 at Class A and transform to Class B which has a cap of, say, 34, then those 44 will be reduced to 34.

However, the game actually 'remembers' your stat before you do class change. Meaning if you go back again from class B to class A, your 34 stat will revert back to 44.

Stats not yet reaching their caps will be adjusted accordingly depending on the class, the same principle really.

Oh ok cool, that is really good to know. I have been holding off on upgrading characters do to my lack of knowledge about this stuff. So would it be best in some scenarios to level a character in their starting class and wait until I "max" them out to change their class?

ohlawd

Oh ok cool, that is really good to know. I have been holding off on upgrading characters do to my lack of knowledge about this stuff. So would it be best in some scenarios to level a character in their starting class and wait until I "max" them out to change their class?

When they've maxed out some of their stats? Sure. it's more like you're taking advantage of the lower exp gain (thus easier stat gains) because promoting makes exp gain slower. The same applies to reclassiing with Second Seals due to some internal level bs.

It's kind of funny that Chrom/Sumia actually scored fairly low in an official popularity poll they've done about pairings in Japan, losing to both Chrom/Avatar and Chrom/Olivia. It'll be amusing if the next FE comes out and suddenly they're acting as distant from each other as Ike and Elincia in Radiant Dawn.

Although I guess a direct sequel seems kind of unlikely anyway, due to all the pairing complications, so at best we'd get Einhejar versions of the Awakening cast.

Dunno, I mean they could focus on the kids and have them in their default hair colors making it completely impossible for us to ever guess their fathers!

Maximus.

When they've maxed out some of their stats? Sure. it's more like you're taking advantage of the lower exp gain (thus easier stat gains) because promoting makes exp gain slower. The same applies to reclassiing with Second Seals due to some internal level bs.

Ah ok, great thanks!

NeonZ

Dunno, I mean they could focus on the kids and have them in their default hair colors making it completely impossible for us to ever guess their fathers!

I've thought about that, but there'd be some issues anyway, like Lucina's sibling, or the lack of one.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I just quote myself from a few pages back.

No, no, no, not earlier if you are doing the class change--unit promotion, in this case--for the 1st time.

For the 1st time only: level up your basic class to 20 since the game treats your promoted units as 21 regardless when you promote them in terms of exp. If this is your 1st time promoting units, basically you "waste" easy level up/stat gains if you promote your class earlier than 20.

However afterwards, feel free to change class every time you manage to snag a skill that you want. For advanced class its 5 and 15, for DLC class and special class (like Manakete or Taguel) its 1 and 15, and for basic class its 1 and 10.

For Manakete and Taguel, be mindful to the fact that they can transform to an Advanced Class using Second Seal only at level 30. Anything less than that, using Second Seal on them will get them only basic class.

So... it might have been preferable to transform characters like Panne or Nowi on level 10 into a basic class (their Taguel/Manakete skills are not that good and is locked to their original forms anyways), and then promote them to an Advanced Class at level 10.

Also Donnel, it's alright to promote him at 10. Or 15, if you want his final Villager skill.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do you only need a second seal then to go from 2nd tier to 2nd tier?

Thanks for the replies.

Was thinking of going sage too for tomefaire.

ohlawd

Thinking that grabbing them might be useful, but if they're not that great I might just go straight sorcerer.

naw.

Base skills like Mercenary's lvl 1 Armsthrift, Myrmidon's lvl 10 Vantage, Tactician's lvl 1 Veteran... that's some of the good stuff.

Do you only need a second seal then to go from 2nd tier to 2nd tier?

Thanks for the replies.

Was thinking of going sage too for tomefaire.

yeh but only if they're lvl 10 or higher

If you use an SS on them and they're lvl 1-9 promoted, you reclass back into a base class.

Tomefaire is nice, go for it.

ffdgh

Yeah, it's not worth it to go from tier 2 to tier 1 anyways, just go to Sorcerer from Grandmaster.

There are some special exceptions. arms thrift from mercenary......no wait, I think that's it actually aside from movement +1 and lock touch from thief lol.

naw.

Base skills like Mercenary's lvl 1 Armsthrift, Myrmidon's lvl 10 Vantage, Tactician's lvl 1 Veteran... that's some of the good stuff.

Thieve's skills are not that bad either, certainly better than most tier 1 skills.

There are some special exceptions. arms thrift from mercenary......no wait, I think that's it actually aside from movement +1 and lock touch from thief lol.

Yeah, but in those cases it's better to go tier 1->tier 1, not tier 2->tier 1 anyways.

ohlawd

Thieve's skills are not that bad either, certainly better than most tier 1 skills.

That's why I said some :p

Hmm maybe I should mention Locktouch next time someone asks a similar question. I mean, srsly, keys? Can't even get those out in the wild.

Yeah, but in those cases it's better to go tier 1->tier 1, not tier 2->tier 1 anyways.

If you're indecisive like me, I've done promoted -> base tons of times.

Forget planning, just go all in.

Quixzlizx

For the Spotpass items, is it one use only, or one use per playthrough?

For the Spotpass groups, same question, and do they provide your characters with xp? I don't want to play through the groups if they are going to massively overlevel me.

Oh, and I found out that the OHKO critical hit I madposted about before was a 1% crit chance. Thanks Fire Emblem.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

For the Spotpass groups, same question, and do they provide your characters with xp? I don't want to play through the groups if they are going to massively overlevel me.

Oh, and I found out that the OHKO critical hit I madposted about before was a 1% crit chance. Thanks Fire Emblem.
Items = Once
Teams = infinite

Chrom

The Bonus Items? They all can only be retrieved to the convoy once per file.

Bonus Teams can be summoned infinitely, and they do offer you a mean of grinding for experience.

Note to self: Always, ALWAYS check if the boss Berserker has counter *facedesks*

-One per playthrough
-Endlessly respawnable and yes unless it's Lunatic.

ffdgh

Spotpass items are once per file without the infinite regalia dlc.

Lunatic and below the spotpass teams give decent exp for grinding until you'll just get 8 exp per kill eventually when you're characters are strong. Depends on the team you fight mostly.
On Lunatic, they give one exp lol.

ramyeon

So I've progressed a lot, Donnel is now an ass kicking mercenary that hits harder than Frederick, I married a few pairs as well.

What's a good class progression for my avatar if my strength is magic over strength?

Quixzlizx

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess I'll start doing groups when my guys are massively outleveled. In chapter 4, my party was already only 3-4 while the mobs were 5.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So I've progressed a lot, Donnel is now an ass kicking mercenary that hits harder than Frederick, I married a few pairs as well.

What's a good class progression for my avatar if my strength is magic over strength?

Regardless of your magic > strength tendency, I really recommend you spend some time to go Mercenary just to get Armsthrift if you haven't done so. Do not worry about the stat reverting down because the stat will revert back up once you promote him/her... but of course this means you need to spend some time too as Hero/Bowknight... which by then I recommend Hero since it offers Sol at level 5.

Well, I recommend it only if you intend to use DLC though.

Ignis, Sol, Armsthrift. More than enough to make a very fearsome Avatar.

ramyeon

Regardless of your magic > strength tendency, I really recommend you spend some time to go Mercenary just to get Armsthrift if you haven't done so. Do not worry about the stat reverting down because the stat will revert back up once you promote him/her... but of course this means you need to spend some time too as Hero/Bowknight... which by then I recommend Hero since it offers Sol at level 5.

Well, I recommend it only if you intend to use DLC though.

Ignis, Sol, Armsthrift. More than enough to make a very fearsome Avatar.
Armsthrift definitely sounds useful. So the full progression would be Tactitian > Merc > Hero > ?? Would I have to go to Tactitian again to reach Grandmaster?

Draxal

Fem av or male av?

Fem av caster the big skills are galeforce/armsthrift/tomefaire/(ignis/sol). Male av can't get galeforce but you'll replace it with aggressor. The fifth's slot is going to be for limitbreaker when it eventually comes out.

Gettign galeforce on a fem av is a priority so you can pass that skill to Morgan.

Chrom

Armsthrift definitely sounds useful. So the full progression would be Tactitian > Merc > Hero > ?? Would I have to go to Tactitian again to reach Grandmaster?

You don't need to reclass back to Tactician to go from Hero to Grandmaster. You have access to Grandmaster as a Hero once you reach Level 10.

Top Bottom