• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Akito

So I'm at chapter 19 and almost all of the characters in my main team are quite close to 20/20 and they were getting pitiful little EXP for a while now. Should I reclass them to other 2nd tier classes?

As someone who's just getting back into the game on my XL, this list should prove useful. Like I said before, I found CoY 1 to be pretty boring. Did not enjoy it at all and am not interested in any extra characters that don't actually talk. I can kind of say that about bonuses in general. I'm more interested in are the maps actually fun to play.

So I guess I'll ask this, after I finish this normal playthrough, I might grab some DLC for a hard playthrough. Which maps are actually fun to play regardless of any characters, bonuses, money, fan service, etc. you get from them?

Honestly, I don't really consider these maps to be fun per say if we're not counting the amount of fanservice each map has.

The problem resides (for me) is that just like in the main campaign, your basically just playing Rout the Enemy type of maps. While they themselves are not bad, it really becomes a problem since they were to abundant in Awakening.

My personal favorite maps that I consider fun (and challenging) to me are the ones in the past games that usually consisted of Defend x for a number of turns and usually Fog of War maps, that are sadly absent from this game.

I know you are.

lol.

My waifu doesn't need awesome muscles when she has (canon!) best body.

She has to talk to that NPC up there in the upper right corner before she'll join you.

I sent some people to basically clear the path for her since I don't trust NPC AIs to keep themselves alive.

I tried, the problem is this one guy keeps coming in and one-shotting her through the wall.

Haven't tried the rescue staff option though. Gonna have to look in to that. Thanks for the help.

Well Chapter 12 was a ton of fun.
Enemy count: 40?!
What a slugfest. Almost got Vaike killed for being too awesome. But he held on. There is such a thing as too much offense on the Enemy Phase if they all get to hit you once. Gotta love the shop you unlock from that chapter, too. Transformation stones and Master Seals. Just need one that sells Second Seals now.
Eerie. I lost Vaike on that map for the same reason. Schooool's out forever :(

McNum

Just did the Harvest Scramble map. I bet I've seen something really rare now. Lissa using a Master Seal to become a War Cleric while
wearing a party hat
. Kind of both killed the moment and made it a lot more funny at the same time.

Also, for the record. You know what's a dick move?
Counter+Miracle on a slow low Def enemy with 50 Luck.
That's a dick move. Well played IS, well played. Free tip,
look at all the enemies, find the ones with Counter and mark them. They are many and they ALL have Miracle and 50 Luck. Stay OUT of their attack range until you can kill them with a ranged attack!
Nowi and Tharja pretty much carried this one. Good thing I can buy a new Dragonstone. Nowi pretty much burned through the last quarter of one.
Eerie. I lost Vaike on that map for the same reason. Schooool's out forever :(
Mine survived through the power of love! Vaike <3 Sully. "WATCH OUT!" Tink! *NO DAMAGE* Aww...

Kainazzo

Just did the Harvest Scramble map. I bet I've seen something really rare now. Lissa using a Master Seal to become a War Cleric while
wearing a party hat
. Kind of both killed the moment and made it a lot more funny at the same time.

Also, for the record. You know what's a dick move?
Counter+Miracle on a slow low Def enemy with 50 Luck.
That's a dick move. Well played IS, well played. Free tip,
look at all the enemies, find the ones with Counter and mark them. They are many and they ALL have Miracle and 50 Luck. Stay OUT of their attack range until you can kill them with a ranged attack!
Nowi and Tharja pretty much carried this one. Good thing I can buy a new Dragonstone. Nowi pretty much burned through the last quarter of one.

Aye, I learned about that the hard way in EXPonential Growth. Guess this DLC has fighting in it after all!

Some of the 5-star DLCs certainly don't kid around. My avatar has a rating of 314 and can get taken out by a single enemy. Rogues and Redeemers 2 has me at a wall; it's the first time my strategy of "send the tank first and mop up with weaker units" hasn't worked. I really don't want to grind Galeforce on everyone, maybe I'll just wait for a 3DS Action Replay. Others, like Death's Embrace, are easy enough as I can just power-elixer my way through them.

Started with hard and permadeath. Already lost one character in the fourth mission... dat critical hit on a full health character...

Loving the game. Amazing production values, incredible performance (zero loading, 60fps map mode) and the story doesn't make me want to murder my eyes like most JRPG do.

Best game on all platforms?

Fixed it for you.

McNum

Aye, I learned about that the hard way in EXPonential Growth. Guess this DLC has fighting in it after all!

Some of the 5-star DLCs certainly don't kid around. My avatar has a rating of 314 and can get taken out by a single enemy. Rogues and Redeemers 2 has me at a wall; it's the first time my strategy of "send the tank first and mop up with weaker units" hasn't worked. I really don't want to grind Galeforce on everyone, maybe I'll just wait for a 3DS Action Replay. Others, like Death's Embrace, are easy enough as I can just power-elixer my way through them.
Yup it has fighting. The Boss is a little nasty, mostly because of how much HP it has with that same skill combo. Respect it.

NeonZ

Speaking of which. Do any DLC characters talk, PR Marth has so far said "..." (when I put him on a sparky tile). Do they get level up and shop quotes.

Technically, Marth has one unique quote for some reason. When he finds an item in a shinning tile:

Every other bonus/DLC character has a different generic quote when they find an item in a shinning tile:

But, yeah, no bonus units or DLC units talk at all aside from that one quote. They're set to the "silent" voice type, an avatar voice type that was in the Japanese versions but was cut from the other ones to reduce the game's script (because it rewrites every single scene with the avatar to make them work with a silent protagonist). They all seem to be basically Avatars with tweaked stats/skills in basically every way, down to the 3d model. Marth is slightly different with his model recycled from Lucina's (she gets short hair as a dark knight for some reason) and his ability to wield the Falchion, but even so the differences stop there and he's the same as the others spotpass/DLC otherwise.

MicH

I'm officially hooked on the marriage aspect. I did not expect this to happen. Had my first couple get marriage besides Chrom (and Sumia). Kellam and Cordelia. They're so sweet together and Cordelia can ferry him across the map and he can defend her. Perfect match. I really liked their supports, too!

Also working on
Donnel x Nowi
Virion x Cherche
Lon'qu x Panne

Pretty fun aspect of the game.

Promoted a lot of my guys. Kellam to General, Cordelia to Dark Flier, Chrom to Great Lord, Virion to Bow Knight, Lon'qu to Assasin. Already had Ricken as Dark Knight, though I'll probably make him Sorcerer later on. Currently working on Cherche.

Man I love this game

Yaari

Third time I restarted hoping to pass Chapter 5 finally. I keep getting stuck trying to get both Ricken and Maribelle out safely. Not easy :(.

Do you guys play with disabled battle scenes? I do like it alot but with all the restarts it eventually really slows you down.

Moonlight

Banned
Third time I restarted hoping to pass Chapter 5 finally. I keep getting stuck trying to get both Ricken and Maribelle out safely. Not easy :(.

Do you guys play with disabled battle scenes? I do like it alot but with all the restarts it eventually really slows you down.
Hold down L before a unit (the enemy or your own) heads into battle. It'll turn off battle animations as long as it's held. It's useful if you don't want to disable them outright, but want to get a turn over with.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Kincaido and Ohlawd! Where are you? We need you both as the cheer squad!

Sorry, was busy training the new guy.

6U2JKKR.jpg

Still got a long way to go.

Yeah, I ended up turning off all the animations pretty quickly and ended up setting "Skip Actions" to "Movement" as well. The animations can be nice, but grinding for supports and stuff takes long enough with everything off--I couldn't imagine doing it with all the animations turned on. xD

But, yeah, no bonus units or DLC units talk at all aside from that one quote. They're set to the "silent" voice type, an avatar voice type that was in the Japanese versions but was cut from the other ones to reduce the game's script (because it rewrites every single scene with the avatar to make them work with a silent protagonist). They all seem to be basically Avatars with tweaked stats/skills in basically every way, down to the 3d model. Marth is slightly different with his model recycled from Lucina's (she gets short hair as a dark knight for some reason) and his ability to wield the Falchion, but even so the differences stop there and he's the same as the others spotpass/DLC otherwise.

Female DLC/SpotPass characters do make grunts and such in battle in the Japanese track.

OmegaZero

I don't know which waifu I'll choose.
Waifu overload up in this game.

EDIT: Also, what pairings make for the most hilarious support conversations?

Kainazzo

Seriously, the fact that Flavia and Basilio can't at least S support (even without having kids) is just balls.

It is, but can you imagine if both Khans were to get married? There'd probably be all sorts of riots and conspiracies about the two wanting to topple the system. I figure they're both old enough to just know.

...why are all my favourite characters the ones with the least supports. :(

I was thinking of Anna at first too, but I looked at her supports online and there didn't seem to be much...love? Cute poses, but there didn't seem to be much involved with her; no work. Seems like she'd say goodbye and slip through the Gate for riches the first chance she got. I had to risk death by poking and wolves to get my sweet
Aversa
. Like Anna, she's got the same problem, with even more potential story, so I feel your pain :p

So... nah's mission...

Are sorcerers supposed to be able to attack really far away or is it just a special exception for the enemy?

That's Mire, a long range dark tome that you should be able to pick up somewhere soon, if not already. You'll see it a lot later.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So... nah's mission...

Are sorcerers supposed to be able to attack really far away or is it just a special exception for the enemy?

NeonZ

Female DLC/SpotPass characters do make grunts and such in battle in the Japanese track.

That's just another localization glitch. They didn't have make any sounds in the original Japanese game, and they don't if you set the language to English. It probably has to do with their removal of one of the Japanese voices for females (and one for males) in addition to removing the silent voices. I guess something ended up messed up regarding the voices assigned to them in the Japanese track. But, still, they don't get the avatar's generic quotes for the text, only battle voices.

There's a dark tome called "Mire" which allows long range attacks. I think there's only one obtainable in the main story, but you can buy more from Gharnef (bonus character from Shadow Dragon).

So... nah's mission...

There's just one magic tome that lets you attack at a range of 3~10, Mire, which is a dark magic tome.

Pretty rare normally, but easily buyable repeatedly from Gharnef's SpotPass team.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There's just one magic tome that lets you attack at a range of 3~10, Mire, which is a dark magic tome.

Pretty rare normally, but easily buyable repeatedly from Gharnef's SpotPass team.

Alright, good to know, because I kept thinking "Bullshit!" when I was playing. :p

Also, regarding spotpass teams, how does it actually work?

Turok_TTZ

how do guys handle an infinite regalia map run? I just found out a spotpass jaffar with ragnell can solo the map by himself with properly equipped skills... oh great yet another goetia... yewfelle... gae bolg for the combo break... :(

I wanna cry.

Top Bottom