• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Oh jesus fuck a bunch of dudes just spawned right behind my lines with no warning other than 'Where's my reinforcements'

God damnit. You can't plan tactically for this shit.

Well, they did warn you :T

Any time they mention reinforcements is a good time for you to regroup and prepare your units.

Jintor

You will hate chapter 16 man.

Fair warning.

I hope to be so ludicrously overpowered by then it won't matter.

Narrowly avoided a reset thanks to 1 hp remaining on a char, lol

But it's not random, so you can make plans for it if you have to replay the map.

War isn't fair though. At least most of the maps give you a warning.

It wouldn't be a problem if they appeared at the end of an enemy turn, but like four wyverns at once with unimpeded movement is instant madness. You need like two or three units to block a healer or archer...

Well, that last point is really just a Hard mode and above thing. Besides, you get enough time to protect your squishy units between the warning of reinforcements and their arrival.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Once you get overpowered characters, reinforcements are quite fun.

"Hey, Robin, we have words that the enemy will receive 100 reinforcements soon."

"Meh, I'll send Morgan alone to deal with them."

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, at least that's a "defeat the commander" mission so the reinforcements can be not as much of a problem. By that time you're usually too powerful for them to really be a problem unless you're not paying attention anyways.

Wait, was that a defeat the commander one? I was talking about the mission against that dude with a fabulous moustache and beard.

Jintor

Well, that last point is really just a Hard mode and above thing. Besides, you get enough time to protect your squishy units between the warning of reinforcements and their arrival.

Yeah... I was just let down because I thought the reinforcement wave was over and then bam axemen right behind my archer

Wait, was that a defeat the commander one? I was talking about the mission against that dude with a fabulous moustache and beard.

I'm very sure it was because I clearly remember my first time through

"Well, that was the last of the reinforcements. Time to clear the rest of the map."

4th wave of reinforcements arrive in a position that WILL kill one of my characters next turn

"NOPE NOPE NOPE"

*flies to Cervantes and crits him to end the chapter*

It wouldn't be a problem if they appeared at the end of an enemy turn, but like four wyverns at once with unimpeded movement is instant madness. You need like two or three units to block a healer or archer...
My units are almost never solo though. Archers and healers should be paired up at all times IMO.

Antiwhippy

I'm very sure it was because I clearly remember my first time through

"Well, that was the last of the reinforcements. Time to clear the rest of the map."

4th wave of reinforcements arrive in a position that WILL kill one of my characters next turn

"NOPE NOPE NOPE"

*flies to Cervantes and crits him to end the chapter*

Huh, alright.

Ah well, all that extra EXP was nice I guess. :p Also it's satisfying to figure out a strategy that keeps your units alive. Makes it like a puzzle game.

Antiwhippy

Eh, it's not really too bad. Once you actually take note on which turn the reinforcements come in. Also to place your unessential dudes or forts or stairs.

Jintor

So I just wrapped Chapter 10. Anything I should know going forward? Any instant-marriages going to happen because of plot reasons or something?

Wiseblade

So I haven't experimented much with forging because I am poor as hell. What's up with forging

Basically all you ever do is take a weapon you have and make it 6 points stronger. Then, you give it to a character with Armsthrift because "after all the money I spent, that damn thing better last forever!"

Well I don't see why not.

It's not like Panne has something better to offer anyways if that's where Lethality comes from. Well, there's Deliverer I guess but that's not gonna get you a killer bunny so...

Antiwhippy

Well his dad is lon'qu so I'm going to guess that his skill rating is going to be fairly high. Got him and his skill rating is starting with 25.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well his dad is lon'qu so I'm going to guess that his skill rating is going to be fairly high. Got him and his skill rating is starting with 25.

Lethality is skill divided by 4. Astra is wicked though, since it can activate with all sorts of weapons/range (well, lethality too).

Hmmm, yeah, why not. It's a yay from me, although I generally get one of the breakers skill instead for him from Panne.

vanty

Just started playing this yesterday and it's so much harder than I was expecting. I'm now on chapter 3 or 4 (a castle gate sort of thing with some hammer guys and female knight boss) and I'm used to having maybe one death in the first half dozen chapters, yet I'm probably closing in on ten deaths already ahah. It's pretty quick to restart though and they're only early chapters so you can get back to where you where quite quickly.

I suspended the game midway through this chapter because I may have just put the magic woman in a position where the boss will kill her five times before she hits the ground next turn unless I missed something. So I'll probably be trying the chapter again for the fourth time next time I fire up the 3DS ahah.

Even the first chapter I think I had two or three deaths thanks to being ganged up on before I finally had a clean run though. I'm playing on Hard and the the proper permadeath setting.

I'm having a great time though.

Where do you have to play up to until you can download the DLC? I wasn't going to play the game yet but I want free DLC before it goes away but I read something about a gate you have to reach or something. EDIT: Thanks.

Okay guys, so I read up a bit on how to properly train and skill your units, but I'm not sure if I've figured it out yet. Specifically I'm not sure how Second Seals work exactly and how/when I best use them.

Consider this long-ish example:

Let's assume I want to give Lucina the Galeforce skill. How exactly do I go on about that? The first way would have been for Lucina to inherit the skill from her mother (in my case it would have been Sumia) but I screwed that up and anyway I'm not really using Sumia much so no way I would have gotten her up to Dark Flier 15 by the time it mattered.

The other way is by getting Lucina herself up to Dark Flier Level 15, right? She learns the skill automatically once she reaches that level. Now I wonder what would be the best way to do that? Lucina just recently joined, so she's still Lord Level 12. One option is just making her a Pegasus Knight right now, get Pegasus Knight to 10, and then switch over to Dark Flier and get her to 15 like that. But is that really the best option? I could also do option two, and get Lucina up to Great Lord level 10, THEN use the Second Seal and make her a Dark Flier directly. Does it work that way as well? And if it does, would that be smarter? She has two awesome swords and would lose the ability to use them as a Pegasus Knight. On the other hand, XP progression should be faster as a non-promoted class (Pegasus Knight) than a promoted one (Great Lord) right? That would mean if I went the second route via Great Lord 10 it would take longer to get Galeforce.

Also, after I got her the skill, I can always turn her back to a Lord/Great Lord again, right?

I'm really not sure if I understood the basics of how these things work, or if I got it all horribly wrong. I'm on my first playthrough of my first Fire Emblem ever, so I won't care much about that stuff, and just enjoy the ride. I'm loving it so much that I'm considering a second playthrough already however, maybe even get some of the DLC if it's any good. By that point I would love to have figured out how the skills and class changing work exactly.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So is the skill ceiling for children determined by their parents or by their class?

Stat cap you mean?

Both.

Which class gets armshift? Can't find it on the FE wiki D:

Mercenary.

Okay guys, so I read up a bit on how to properly train and skill your units, but I'm not sure if I've figured it out yet. Specifically I'm not sure how Second Seals work exactly and how/when I best use them.

Consider this long-ish example:

Let's assume I want to give Lucina the Galeforce skill. How exactly do I go on about that? The first way would have been for Lucina to inherit the skill from her mother (in my case it would have been Sumia) but I screwed that up and anyway I'm not really using Sumia much so no way I would have gotten her up to Dark Flier 15 by the time it mattered.

The other way is by getting Lucina herself up to Dark Flier Level 15, right? She learns the skill automatically once she reaches that level. Now I wonder what would be the best way to do that? Lucina just recently joined, so she's still Lord Level 12. One option is just making her a Pegasus Knight right now, get Pegasus Knight to 10, and then switch over to Dark Flier and get her to 15 like that. But is that really the best option? I could also do option two, and get Lucina up to Great Lord level 10, THEN use the Second Seal and make her a Dark Flier directly. Does it work that way as well? And if it does, would that be smarter? She has two awesome swords and would lose the ability to use them as a Pegasus Knight. On the other hand, XP progression should be faster as a non-promoted class (Pegasus Knight) than a promoted one (Great Lord) right? That would mean if I went the second route via Great Lord 10 it would take longer to get Galeforce.

Also, after I got her the skill, I can always turn her back to a Lord/Great Lord again, right?

I'm really not sure if I understood the basics of how these things work, or if I got it all horribly wrong. I'm on my first playthrough of my first Fire Emblem ever, so I won't care much about that stuff, and just enjoy the ride. I'm loving it so much that I'm considering a second playthrough already however, maybe even get some of the DLC if it's any good. By that point I would love to have figured out how the skills and class changing work exactly.

Well, if you want to her *final class* to be Great Lord, then Lord Level 12 --> Pegasus Knight 10 --> Dark Flier 15 --> Great Lord is the better course so you don't have to repeat leveling up Great Lord to 10 again in the future.

You can always turn her back to Lord/Great Lord anytime you wish.

Wiseblade

You too? Yeah, my Yarne is a Taguel has Sword/Lancebreaker, Astra, Attack+2 and Even Rhythm. I'll probably drop Rhythm for his lvl 15 skill when he gets it.

As a character, he's one of my favourites. I really like his attitude.

Antiwhippy

So does it work like this: Parents decide the initial skill cap, then the class chosen deducts or adds to that skill cap?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So does it work like this: Parents decide the initial skill cap, then the class chosen deducts or adds to that skill cap?

Actually it's the other way around.

Each kid has their own set cap on every class that they can be on and then the parents (well, the dad) gives modifiers to how high their cap is.

Wiseblade

The opposite. Each class has a stat cap, and the parents all have inherent modifiers that they pass down to their children. For example, Chrom has a +1 modifier on Strength and Virion doesn't, so if they both became Bow Knights Chrom's attack would cap 1 point higher than Virion's.

Antiwhippy

You too? Yeah, my Yarne is a Taguel has Sword/Lancebreaker, Astra, Attack+2 and Even Rhythm. I'll probably drop Rhythm for his lvl 15 skill when he gets it.

As a character, he's one of my favourites. I really like his attitude.

Panne and lon'qu seems like the most logical choice. Both loners in the world fighting for their own place.

Goddamn this stat thing is kind of doing my head in. :p How do I check for modifiers?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Panne and lon'qu seems like the most logical choice. Both loners in the world fighting for their own place.

Goddamn this stat thing is kind of doing my head in. :p How do I check for modifiers?

Here you go.

Unbelievably useful since you can sort it out based on class and parents.

Although mild spoilers on playable paralogue characters if you worry about that kind of stuff.

Top Bottom