• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Wiseblade

Panne and lon'qu seems like the most logical choice. Both loners in the world fighting for their own place.

Goddamn this stat thing is kind of doing my head in. :p How do I check for modifiers?

I saw it as both of them value strength above all else and Panne isn't a human woman...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Lon'qu does have a but of a sick streak about him. :p

But yeah, that too I guess. Plus they complemented each other pretty well during fights. So many crits and dodges.

Jintor

Dicks lol, I hate it when the boss of a map reveals unexpectedly he isn't the type to sit still. Just got my poor dragon rushdowned and then eaten by an archer

Jintor

My god tharja's design is so... is so... hnggghhh...

Hilariously, Lissa and Maribelle who are canon best friends forever are almost impossible to rank-up because neither have an attack function, the primary method of relationship building, and neither get damaged very much because if they do they're far more likely to implode than anything else. Wait for a seal I guess

Leezard

Dicks lol, I hate it when the boss of a map reveals unexpectedly he isn't the type to sit still. Just got my poor dragon rushdowned and then eaten by an archer

you can always place the cursor above the boss. If he sits still, his range will only be one or two (red) squares. If not, he'll have a long(er) range, and you can see the blue squares he can move to.

McNum

So I've been thinking a little on when best to promote and reclass, and... I think I might have a good rule of thumb. In that there isn't one. It's true that staying in the base classes before promoting is most likely the optimal way EXP wise, but that really only matters when you get past the story, and into DLC, doesn't it?

There is another concern:. Keeping characters viable as they level up. And a promoted skill or two is a nice thing to have there. Like how I said before that Vaike almost got himself killed by overkilling on the Enemy Phase. I classed him up to Hero to go for Sol, so he could heal himself if that happens again, even though I kind of want him to end as a Berserker.

I'm thinking the same with Chrom. Aether is an amazing skill. Might go fishing in his Calavier tree for Aegis and Dual Guard+, but for being the required character in the story missions, he needs to be good early, then min/max later, despite the EXP disadvantage of having to go back to Great Lord. But I suppose a level 20/1 Great Lord with high stats and good skills is just as good as a 20/20 one with the same. It's pretty much an aesthetic choice in the end there... At least he's not taking the same massive detour as his little sister. She'll end up Sage after trying nearly every other promoted class. Cleric -> War Cleric -> Valkyrie -> Dark Flier -> Sage. That is one heck of a trip through classes.

Basically, it's all a judgement call. Sacrfice current usefulness for faster future power.

Got the same issue with Nowi and Panne. Their base classes are awesome, but they need to go fishing for skills elsewhere. Do I toss Nowi into Wyvern Rider ASAP or do I use her awesome dragon form for easier kills? Her level 15 skill isn't useful outside of Manakete, and even there it's... situational, but if I get it first, I won't have to go hunting for it later, I can just class her back to Manakete and be done. Same with Panne, except her level 15 skill is pretty useful. No idea where to go from there. At least Donnel's Villager class is bad enough to warrant a Second Seal as soon as he gets Underdog. A pity there's no other on foot lance class. Unless I missed one.

Jintor

you can always place the cursor above the boss. If he sits still, his range will only be one or two (red) squares. If not, he'll have a long(er) range, and you can see the blue squares he can move to.

Yeah, haha, I'd had so many battles with still-sitting bosses or bosses that immediately rushed for me I didn't even bother checking. Nasty, nasty surprise.

Tenki

Should I keep Donnel as a Villager until level 30? I don't mind if I need a lot of patience :lol

I don't know if I should keep him until 30 or reclass him at 15.

McNum

Should I keep Donnel as a Villager until level 30? I don't mind if I need a lot of patience :lol

I don't know if I should keep him until 30 or reclass him at 15.
Easy choice in my mind. Reclass at 15. Villager isn't good, but Underdog can be. I think common wisdom says go Mercenary with him.

Jintor

Okay, so was immediately master sealing crom and MC when they hit 20 a mistake? Should I have gone to a different base class to try and get other skills instead first? :/

Xeno_V

Okay, so was immediately master sealing crom and MC when they hit 20 a mistake? Should I have gone to a different base class to try and get other skills instead first? :/

No, now level them up until lv 15 and then use a second seal to change to another promoted class.

Tenki

Easy choice in my mind. Reclass at 15. Villager isn't good, but Underdog can be. I think common wisdom says go Mercenary with him.

I know Villager isn't good, but I guess I can get even higher stats if I keep him till 30 before reclassing to Mercenary. Hmmm, I can't decide :lol

Xeno_V

I know Villager isn't good, but I guess I can get even higher stats if I keep him till 30 before reclassing to Mercenary. Hmmm, I can't decide :lol

I would also take the mercenary way asap, and then move on to hero in order to get sol.

Draxal

Not at all for Chrom, maybe for the tactician.

Armsthrift if the best unpromoted class skill in the game, and if a class can go merc to get it I do.

Sol's a great skill and it's why chars like Donnel are unbeatable in midgame(hero skill at level 5).

Wiseblade

So I've been thinking a little on when best to promote and reclass, and... I think I might have a good rule of thumb. In that there isn't one. It's true that staying in the base classes before promoting is most likely the optimal way EXP wise, but that really only matters when you get past the story, and into DLC, doesn't it?

There is another concern:. Keeping characters viable as they level up. And a promoted skill or two is a nice thing to have there. Like how I said before that Vaike almost got himself killed by overkilling on the Enemy Phase. I classed him up to Hero to go for Sol, so he could heal himself if that happens again, even though I kind of want him to end as a Berserker.

I'm thinking the same with Chrom. Aether is an amazing skill. Might go fishing in his Calavier tree for Aegis and Dual Guard+, but for being the required character in the story missions, he needs to be good early, then min/max later, despite the EXP disadvantage of having to go back to Great Lord. But I suppose a level 20/1 Great Lord with high stats and good skills is just as good as a 20/20 one with the same. It's pretty much an aesthetic choice in the end there... At least he's not taking the same massive detour as his little sister. She'll end up Sage after trying nearly every other promoted class. Cleric -> War Cleric -> Valkyrie -> Dark Flier -> Sage. That is one heck of a trip through classes.

Basically, it's all a judgement call. Sacrfice current usefulness for faster future power.

Got the same issue with Nowi and Panne. Their base classes are awesome, but they need to go fishing for skills elsewhere. Do I toss Nowi into Wyvern Rider ASAP or do I use her awesome dragon form for easier kills? Her level 15 skill isn't useful outside of Manakete, and even there it's... situational, but if I get it first, I won't have to go hunting for it later, I can just class her back to Manakete and be done. Same with Panne, except her level 15 skill is pretty useful. No idea where to go from there. At least Donnel's Villager class is bad enough to warrant a Second Seal as soon as he gets Underdog. A pity there's no other on foot lance class. Unless I missed one.
I'd prioritise reclassing early over promotion. The stat difference from having better experience gains will more than compensate for the lack of promoted skills and going back for those early skills after promoting can be brutal. Having to burn through 10 levels as an unpromoted class when most of your stats are capped is only going to make actual worthwhile level gains when you promote again more difficult. When you start forging weapons en masse for you characters, you'll really regret not reclassing for armsthrift earlier.

NeonZ

No, if you wanted to go with a second seal, you should class change them at level 10 (or 15 for promoted units). If you went up to lvl 20, a Master Seal is generally better.

McNum

Going from 1-2 Mercenary is easier than 15-16 Villager since Donnel's internal level will be lower. You'll effectively get 35 levels before promoting this way.

I'd prioritise reclassing early over promotion. The stat difference from having better experience gains will more than compensate for the lack of promoted skills and going back for those early skills after promoting can be brutal. Having to burn through 10 levels as an unpromoted class when most of your stats are capped is only going to make actual worthwhile level gains when you promote again more difficult. When you start forging weapons en masse for you characters, you'll really regret not reclassing for armsthrift earlier.
Vaike can't get Armstrift. No Mercenary option. I was thinking of grabbing Despoil from Barbarian for Vaike, but I thought Sol would be better first. Actually thinking of reclassing him at Hero 5 unless Axebreaker is really important for him. My Avatar jumped from Tactician 20 to Mercenary 1 for the sake of Armsthrift, though. Would have gone Myrmidon otherwise. His luck is pretty low, though, guess it's what I get for picking it as flaw, so he won't get much out of Armsthrift... yet. But his path is Hero -> Swordmaster -> Grandmaster, anyway, so he has a lot of levels to go.

I'm basically thinking that I'll grab what I want in the base classes and then promote. Having to go back to base classes afterwards is going to be rare, I think. Manakete and Taguel excluded, of course.

Is there any way to undo meaningless actions like pressing "wait" ?

Sometimes I mess up an entire map because I accidentally click through an unit before I'm done with them.

TheBera

Is there any way to undo meaningless actions like pressing "wait" ?

Sometimes I mess up an entire map because I accidentally click through an unit before I'm done with them.

Unfortunately no, sometimes I screw up the entire mission just because I choose the wrong option by mistake :(

This game is driving me insane and I'm only at Chapter 8 (Hard Classic)! I don't want any of the characters to die!

m0t0k1

My god tharja's design is so... is so... hnggghhh...

Hilariously, Lissa and Maribelle who are canon best friends forever are almost impossible to rank-up because neither have an attack function, the primary method of relationship building, and neither get damaged very much because if they do they're far more likely to implode than anything else. Wait for a seal I guess

That is funny because my lisa was the fastest growing member in the beginning of the game. dem heals and rescue's+ psychic makes her grow realy fast. Now she is a sage and has become my MU slave in support. Also she makes a lovely wife.

Antiwhippy

Somehow it feels like a waste to have vengeance when you have ignis and nosferatu, while dodging and critting all the damn time.

It keeps procing but I never suffer any damage to make it useful.

Antiwhippy

Also I have no idea how the AI targeting system works. My FeMU is clearly oneshotting anyone who's even approaching her while I have a weaker morgan in range so he can have some practice.

So weird.

Jintor

Okay, right, so in general:

base class --> 15

reclass to something else to steal skills, reach level 20

master class to second tier?

Is there a disadvantage to getting to level 20 and then reclassing, or ascending to second tier then falling back to a tier one class to pick up class skills later?

Ultrabum

Also I have no idea how the AI targeting system works. My FeMU is clearly oneshotting anyone who's even approaching her while I have a weaker morgan in range so he can have some practice.

So weird.

The AI is very strange compadres to other games IMO. If there is a chance, key word chance, to kill someone, the AI will try. If there is no chance the AI acts more rational and will try to do the most damage. It's really easy to abuse by moving your strongest pair in range before everyone else.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, right, so in general:

base class --> 15

reclass to something else to steal skills, reach level 20

master class to second tier?

Is there a disadvantage to getting to level 20 and then reclassing, or ascending to second tier then falling back to a tier one class to pick up class skills later?

I'd say reclass.

Reclassing sooner lets you get skills faster since your internal level won't go up as much.

And you lose stats across the board when you demote, and if your stats are above the base class caps the drop can be pretty significant.

Einbroch

Banned
I have a problem. I'm playing this game too much. It's really bad because I can play this while I work.

I have a question, though. I'm really sick of holding down A when attacking. I like the animations, but at default speed they're so slow. Any way to have it always sped up (in the attack animation)? None of the options seem to let me. I know you can tap the little fast forward button on the touch screen, but I want them to be like that always.

Antiwhippy

The AI is very strange compadres to other games IMO. If there is a chance, key word chance, to kill someone, the AI will try. If there is no chance the AI acts more rational and will try to do the most damage. It's really easy to abuse by moving your strongest pair in range before everyone else.

Thing is, they had more chance doing that to morgan than to my FeMU, but they just keep targeting her. I even had other weak units in range.

Maybe because she's a sorceress so she is perceived as weaker? Doesn't matter with ignis, vengeance, tomefaire, and nosferatu though.

I like how ridiculously overpowered she is. She could probably solo the late game missions.

Chrom

I have a problem. I'm playing this game too much. It's really bad because I can play this while I work.

I have a question, though. I'm really sick of holding down A when attacking. I like the animations, but at default speed they're so slow. Any way to have it always sped up (in the attack animation)? None of the options seem to let me. I know you can tap the little fast forward button on the touch screen, but I want them to be like that always.

There's no way to have the battle animations speed up by default. You have to hold down A if you want to do that.

Jintor

I'd say reclass.

Reclassing sooner lets you get skills faster since your internal level won't go up as much.

And you lose stats across the board when you demote, and if your stats are above the base class caps the drop can be pretty significant.

Urgh, maybe should second seal MC after I hit lvl 5 back down to mercenary to get armsthrift and patience and then get back to grandmaster

NeonZ

base class --> 15

There's no advantage to getting to 15 in a base class and then using a second seal. That's for promoted ones because thwey have a lvl 15 skill. The most optimal routes are changing at level 10 if you want to go to another base class, or lvl 20 if you want to promote.

A lvl 20 mercenary reclassing to myrmidon will gain experience as a lvl 11 character when he's a lvl 1 myrmidon. Eventually, when you promote him to Swordmaster or Assassin, he'll gain experience as a level 31 character while being in the first level of that promoted class (doesn't matter if you promote him at level 10 or 20).

A lvl 10 mercenary reclassing to myrmidon will gain experience as a lvl 6 character and when you promote that reclassed character he'll gain experience as a level 26 one.

Basically, the same thing goes to going from second tier to first tier. A lvl 1 promoted character (without any reclassing beforehand) counts as a lvl 21 character. Take that to a first tier class, and you'll add 11 invisible levels, if you get to lvl 5 to get the first promoted skill, you'll add 13 invisible levels. If you get to lvl 15 for the second promoted skill, you'll be adding 18 invisible levels. And that's all assuming that there was no reclassing beforehand. When you add any previous reclassing before promotion, even at level 10, you have to add at least 5 extra levels to that.

Of course, this is all assuming you aren't just grinding to you heart's content. When you're doing that, the invisible levels will just mean slightly slower growth. However, if you're trying to just play through the story without stopping it for grinding for a while, or just don't want to waste that much time grinding, then the experience gains are relevant.

Ultrabum

Thing is, they had more chance doing that to morgan than to my FeMU, but they just keep targeting her. I even had other weak units in range.

Maybe because she's a sorceress so she is perceived as weaker? Doesn't matter with ignis, vengeance, tomefaire, and nosferatu though.

I like how ridiculously overpowered she is. She could probably solo the late game missions.

The AI in this game is nuts lol

Draxal

Base class --> 10, not 15. There's no advantage to getting to 15 in a base class. That's for promoted ones because thwey have a lvl 15 skill.

The exception is special classes and that's where the confusion comes from (donnel is a villager which is a special class).

Top Bottom