• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

V0IsIsq.jpg

Reach the end of the chapter with only a few enemies left, game is stuck on this screen

That Nintendo quality

hooooooo-oooly fuck, chapter 17 of conquest

Took one good look at that map and just went 'that's enough FE for me today'.
lmao, yeah. I ended up having Saizo alive somehow and even got all treasures but boy did it take more than just a few tries :)))

and then comes chapter 19. Fuck chapter 19.

EDarkness

I'm sad that the story is so god awful and lazily put together. The basic concept of Nohr could have been really well utilized, but every story that has any potential is barely noted if at all and the driving plot points are all forced and ultimately silly. I think the game would have benefited just by having more walls of text and being forced to explain and make good sense of its movements. But the basic premise has me imagining if a Sejong/Taejong inspired FE campaign could just be...FE just needs 'nerdier' story direction again. Pretty sure that's never going to happen, but a man can dream.

I can understand about the story. I'm playing through Conquest now and I have to say that
Corrin is dumber than dirt.
All I can do is shake my head and quickly press buttons to skip the story segments. Starting to really not like the main character. I'll take Robin or Chrom, please.

Note: I married Kaden.

Have finally figured out what I want out of these kids. Made both of the kids (Kana and Selkie) Nine-tails and they both work great at taking out mages thanks to their high RES and SPD. Having dragon skills on them also ups their killing potential since they both seem to average 18% or better for crits.

Selkie has married Shigure(Dread Knight)(Gotta keep it in the family hohoho)
Kana is marrying Caeldori(Kinshi Knight)
Kiragi(Mechanist) has married Sophie(Great Knight)
Dwyer( Lodestar and brother to Shigure) has married Rhajat(Onmyoji)
Shiro and Asugi: They aren't good enough to replace the person in the role they would be taking so they sit unused.

Rhajat has been forced to her role as mage/healer on the team due to my utter lack of putting any stock into mage units because I view them all as terrible. Sophie is a sub-par Great Knight and despairs at the fact she will never be as great as her Sniper mother Mozu who is a god in my army. Dwyer is actually better than I give him credit for since nothing seems to actually be able to hit him. Kiragi works more like a Ninja who only attacks at range. His role is being a debuffer rather than outright killer. I keep Caeldori and Kana almost always paired up since they cover each other's weaknesses well. Shigure works very well alone and is very ninja like.

Done with getting the child characters. The ones I'm missing I won't be getting on this

What all is permanently unlockable in this game? I assume supports are, as they were in Awakening.

When I beat one of the three paths, does the save persist to other paths and keep a record of all the supports I've seen in each path? Can I have one "super" save with everything unlocked on it, or will I need multiple?

ngower

As I've posted in here before, I'm fairly new to the series and kind of terrible at the game (playing on Normal Classic). In chapter seven/eight/nine (whatever the one with the peaceful village is), spent about forty-five minutes carefully taking out one enemy at a time, slowly working my way to the boss. In the penultimate move, I lost Silas. I don't know if I should just move forward or replay the chapter...I'm also thinking about dropping off Classic for my initial playthrough and then going back again on Classic. Alternatively, would it be smarter if I picked up one of the easier Fire Emblem's (Sacred Stones, maybe?) and played through that for strategy THEN go back to Birthright?

As I've posted in here before, I'm fairly new to the series and kind of terrible at the game (playing on Normal Classic). In chapter seven/eight/nine (whatever the one with the peaceful village is), spent about forty-five minutes carefully taking out one enemy at a time, slowly working my way to the boss. In the penultimate move, I lost Silas. I don't know if I should just move forward or replay the chapter...I'm also thinking about dropping off Classic for my initial playthrough and then going back again on Classic. Alternatively, would it be smarter if I picked up one of the easier Fire Emblem's (Sacred Stones, maybe?) and played through that for strategy THEN go back to Birthright?
Sounds like you're doing just fine! Losing a unit you like can be very painful but there is no reason you have to restart. You will get so many units you won't be able to use most of them (especially if you're working on your affinities to get people married) so unless you are incredibly attached I'd say move on. With Silas in particular I don't think the loss is too big a deal since Cavaliers are kind of jack of all trades units that aren't particularly special.

Stay strong and keep going! Before long you'll be promoting units and wrecking enemies with ease. If you have any questions about specifics I'm sure you'll get some good help here.

That said, absolutely go back and play some of the older FEs at some point if you feel so inclined. I would suggest FE7 in particular which is available on Wii U VC if you have that system.

I've played both Awakening and Fates on Casual. It's no black mark on your honor or anything, it's just a game, enjoy it. I'd suggest going Casual and replaying it if you feel like you need to.

Don't go play another game first though, stick with it. Sacred Stones is only easy because you can grind in it and make your party OP and overleveled, otherwise the strategy is the same.

ngower

I've played both Awakening and Fates on Casual. It's no black mark on your honor or anything, it's just a game, enjoy it. I'd suggest going Casual and replaying it if you feel like you need to.

Don't go play another game first though, stick with it. Sacred Stones is only easy because you can grind in it and make your party OP and overleveled, otherwise the strategy is the same.

You underestimate the guilt that comes with being raised in an extremely conservative church...

But yeah, I don't know what I prefer: playing willy nilly without the risk of permadeath and getting through the game more quickly OR playing with permadeath on and just accepting loss OR playing with permadeath on and replaying until I get through a level without losses.

Choices, choices. I'm going to get absolutely wrecked when I move over to Conquest.

Fandangox

I am playing on Conquest Hard, and it seems a lot harder than most of the other FE games on hard except RD and maybe Hector Hard Mode on 7. So I am assuming Birthright is up there.

Is really not uncommon at all to lose a unit during a chapter, but most reset (I do) although if you are playing on Birthright you could grind a bit if you are having issues. Its fine if you don't want to reset, also done it on some games, and there are various other paladins/cavaliers that join that can potentially replace Silas.

Casual mode can get you used to new mechanics faster and get an understanding of how most skills work, the main difference between classic and casual on how the game is approached is that you have to be a lot more careful with classic and think various steps ahead.

Also as a tip, regardless of the mode check the skills of enemies/bosses before attacking, attacking someone with the magic/physical counter skill is deadly, could lead to losing a unit just by attacking. Some other skills do extra damage to specific units, like mounted or armored.

So what I am saying is just do whatever you feel is best for your first playthrough, you can always replay it again or change the difficulty settings at any time.

MoonFrog

Okay so just after I post about Nohr hard having less charging hordes than a lot of hard modes I actually play chapter 21 lol.
Was sitting on a thin strip of ledge defending for quite a while before I could afford to draw out massive boulder man. Cool level. On to 22!

Luigi87

Ugh RNG!
Finally nearing the end of Chapter 12 Conquest, and Peri consistently missed a low health enemy twice, only for it to counter and eventually kill her.

Maybe I should finally use some of my perm stat boost items on some characters...

Reach the end of the chapter with only a few enemies left, game is stuck on this screen

That Nintendo quality

Staring contest!

rhandino

Banned
Birthright - Chapter 16 is amazing!

I love the design of the map and how they put pressure on you to move FAST to avoid the thief to steal those treasures but since the map is FULL of chokepoints it's kind of hard to move forward and also fight enemies and that one mage near a Fire Orb.

Also I think I'm going to marry Silas/Azura and Corrin/Scarlet... mostly because Corrin supports with her are so nice and they both make a really force of destruction in the battlefield.

Also started Chapter 17 last night and was enjoying myself quite a bit but I forgot to save and lost Azura to a critical hit... oh well. =/

Ala Alba

Also I think I'm going to marry Silas/Azura and Corrin/Scarlet... mostly because Corrin supports with her are so nice and they both make a really force of destruction in the battlefield.

I went with Silas/Azura too. The supports were kinda meh, but the children turned out alright. I'm also considering Corrin/Scarlet, even if only because she can't support anyone else and the girl children are kinda meh so far.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Birthright - Chapter 16 is amazing!

I love the design of the map and how they put pressure on you to move FAST to avoid the thief to steal those treasures but since the map is FULL of chokepoints it's kind of hard to move forward and also fight enemies and that one mage near a Fire Orb.

Also started Chapter 17 last night and was enjoying myself quite a bit but I forgot to save and lost Azura to a critical hit... oh well. =/
I made it by 1 turn.... HUGE sigh of relief. Deciding to risk eating an aoe fireball after an hour on that map was nerve wracking.

Also, I remember people hating on Rinkah early on in the thread. I may have gotten lucky, but Rinkah is definitely top 3 on my team. At unpromoted lv 20, she had 17 spd and 20 def, allowing me to tank everything and kill pretty much anyone with her personal skill. In the few stances she's not viable, her pair up stats are great.

Forkball

In Chapter 12 of Birthright and I have no idea who should marry who. I hooked up Corrin and Azura but beyond that I'm clueless. In Awakening so many couples made sense, but I'm at a loss with Hoshido's cast. Saizo doesn't like anyone, Mozu and Felicia are too shy, Orochi is all over the place and the only other male Mage is an 8 year old etc.

Ala Alba

In Chapter 12 of Birthright and I have no idea who should marry who. I hooked up Corrin and Azura but beyond that I'm clueless. In Awakening so many couples made sense, but I'm at a loss with Hoshido's cast. Saizo doesn't like anyone, Mozu and Felicia are too shy, Orochi is all over the place and the only other male Mage is an 8 year old etc.

If it helps,
Saizo and Hinoka seemed like they had a decent relationship and Hinata/Mozu was pretty cute. Orochi and Azama are pretty similar people, too.

Felicia and Jakob seemed almost abusive, though.

PK Gaming

Try marrying Mozu to Takumi or Silas. You'll be surprised at how "shy" she is.

Fireblend

Banned
I've liked Birthright's story so far (Ch. 18); it's not great but at least it's serviceable, but man the excuse for being able to use offspring as characters in this game is duuuuuuuuumb.

diaspora

I've liked Birthright's story so far (Ch. 18); it's not great but at least it's serviceable, but man the excuse for being able to use offspring as characters in this game is duuuuuuuuumb.
Yeah that was absolute shithouse. Time travel would have been better.

garath

Wanted to pick this up at best buy this weekend but they were sold out. Figured I'd jump on my GCU discount but no go. Amazon prime also has this for 20% off but sold out on amazon too. I guess this game is popular!

Insolitus

Banned

Yeah I can't even be bothered to use child characters because it annoys me so much, I just play the missions and that's it.

Zebetite

Banned
Got Felicia to 20. Reclass advised or no? I feel like I remember talk of her being good as something else...

The thing with Felicia is that her magic is alright and her strength is not. If she keeps using thrown weapons, she'll never be able to do any damage, and she's stuck with just staves.

She has two options to extend her usefulness through the midgame (I haven't done a late game yet so idk if she can hang there): Use a Flame Shuriken (does magic damage) or heart seal to Strategist (uses tomes instead of knives).

If you have a flame shuriken, you don't necessarily need to reclass her. I'm around chapter 21 now and her damage has slowed a bit, though. It's up to you!

Mozu and Kaden are pretty cute.

I thought this at first as well and I struggled to make my pairs but as I kept pairing up the characters randomly, a lot of them had pretty interesting supports. I ended up changing my mind about pairs as some werent as interesting as I thought where others were pleasant surprises.

Orochi and Corrin have great supports. Saizo and Kagero are awesome. They generally have pretty good supports with other characters as well. Kaze also has good supports with other characters.

Squire

Banned
God, Setsuna's growths are so horrible. It's sad. I just maxed and at Lv. 20 - 20! - she got A SINGLE STAT INCREASE. Yesh, not going waste any more time on this unit. I think I can drop Kaze now, too. His brother is at 20 for me and seems like he's still better than Kaze who's a level higher in that I just promoted him to Master Ninja. Ugh. Sucks when likable characters aren't more useful.

The thing with Felicia is that her magic is alright and her strength is not. If she keeps using thrown weapons, she'll never be able to do any damage, and she's stuck with just staves.

She has two options to extend her usefulness through the midgame (I haven't done a late game yet so idk if she can hang there): Use a Flame Shuriken (does magic damage) or heart seal to Strategist (uses tomes instead of knives).

If you have a flame shuriken, you don't necessarily need to reclass her. I'm around chapter 21 now and her damage has slowed a bit, though. It's up to you!

Ah, gotcha. I might just reclass her. Orochi is still my single Tome user. The Flame Shuriken is working for now.

God, Setsuna's growths are so horrible. It's sad. I just maxed and at Lv. 20 - 20! - she got A SINGLE STAT INCREASE. Yesh, not going waste any more time on this unit. I think I can drop Kaze now, too. His brother is at 20 for me and seems like he's still better than Kaze who's a level higher in that I just promoted him to Master Ninja. Ugh. Sucks when likable characters aren't more useful.
Her growths are so bad I swear it must be intentional.

I used her for two battles, she level 3 times and got a grand total of 3 stat points increase, one of them a ZERO increase. I quickly cut my losses and never used her again.

vareon

Finished Birthright Chapter 17.

Accordingly, Corrin and Jakob were the ones dealing the final blow. Dat feel. Though burning yourself was kind of stupid.

Edit: 33 hours in and I feel like there's a lot to do. To think that I used to worry Nintendo will sell half a game, heh.

Neol

Yea a shame about Setsuna as I kinda liked her. She honestly isn't too bad if you work with her but she gets overshadowed by Takumi hard as that weapon of his is too good not to use.

pariah164

For the units I can promote, should I wait till their current class hits max, like in Awakening, or can I promote them anytime after level 10?

Neol

For the units I can promote, should I wait till their current class hits max, like in Awakening, or can I promote them anytime after level 10?

Stat wise its more efficient to let them level to 20 then promote to get the most out of it. If you ever feel you need to promote though your free to do so after 10.

So does it not matter who marries who? Is it just preference?

Yup! Choose anyone your heart adores.

Stat wise its more efficient to let them level to 20 then promote to get the most out of it. If you ever feel you need to promote though your free to do so after 10.

Yup! Choose anyone your heart adores.
Great! I've been stressing out about who to pair with who.

I'm not expecting to get a useful kid out of it, but I'm really digging my pairing of Orochi and Subaki so far. It makes so much sense to pair up the obsessive perfectionist with the fortune teller.

Neol

Great! I've been stressing out about who to pair with who.

Sorry kind of misread your post. Some characters do give out different bonuses and the offspring inherit stats and classes they can change to so there is that. Honestly if its your first playthrough though just pair up with whoever you feel like as it doesn't really matter in the long run unless your playing lunatic mode.

kewlmyc

How the heck am I supposed to reach Shiro in time in Paralogue 7? He's an idiot who dies in 2 turns and my wyren riders can't reach him in time.

How the heck am I supposed to reach Shiro in time in Paralogue 7? He's an idiot who dies in 2 turns and my wyren riders can't reach him in time.

Honestly I had one of my Kinshi Knights carry Ryoma to him. Luckily Ryo drew their attention and Shiro got a lucky dodge so I was able to save him.

Man fuck Conquest 20. The last chapter was shitty but this is so much moreso. The gimmick is dumb and really difficult to play around long term unless you memorize each turn's winds. The enemies are all threatening and hit with a million debuffs and the AI refusing to target enemies they do no damage to makes using characters for their intended purpose all the more frustrating. I'm so glad Xander has overkill defense so he can never tank!

Top Bottom