• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Squire

Banned
tumblr_o3hbjxx0Hp1rs0zxko1_1280.jpg

Source

Needed a Fates Twitter avi. Thanks, breh.

What's better for Sakura: Onmyoji or Priestess?

Priestess has been amazing for me. She was even my highest rated unit for a while. I know PK Gaming went with that, too.

Draxal

What's better for Sakura: Onmyoji or Priestess?

Um, Onmyoji's probably easier to work around, but a Shining Bow Priestess (not sure if you can get one in Birthright without getting lucky) is really strong, it takes forever to get her that C weapon skill so you'd want to save arm scrolls for it.

suzu

Camilla's obsession with Corrin is unsettling and cringy. I find most of the Nohr side to be off kilter so I'm curious how they all behave in Conquest.

Camilla is overly doting in her affections, but not really creepy to me. I'm playing as female Corrin, but I think ranks C to A are the same for either gender. S rank is obviously different, hah.

As for the other siblings you have a stoic big bro, genius little bro, and a mushy little sister. They're nice and caring in their own way. I assume it's generally the same on Hoshido side, with some personality differences (Takumi). lol

Kevinroc

Camilla is overly doting in her affections, but not really creepy to me. I'm playing as female Corrin, but I think ranks C to A are the same for either gender. S rank is obviously different, hah.

As for the other siblings you have a stoic big bro, genius little bro, and a mushy little sister. They're nice and caring in their own way. I assume it's generally the same on Hoshido side, with some personality differences (Takumi). lol

Hinoka is pretty doting in her own way. It just doesn't play the same as Camilla.

suzu

Hinoka is pretty doting in her own way. It just doesn't play the same as Camilla.

Yeah, the siblings basically play the same roles but with different personalities. Sakura probably isn't anywhere as close to childish as Elise is, although they are both the caring and kind little sister.

The exception is Takumi.
Leo > Takumi.

The Nohr tracks are da best.

I cant wait to finish Conquest and Revelation so I can start looking for fan art without fear of spoilers.

The Nohr tracks are da best.

Yup, and thats saying something since the Hoshido tracks are fantastic too. Did they bring back the same composer from Awakening? Awakenings OST was excellent but Fates is a couple levels above.

Moonlight

Banned
Yup, and thats saying something since the Hoshido tracks are fantastic too. Did they bring back the same composer from Awakening? Awakenings OST was excellent but Fates is a couple levels above.
Yes, both are composed by the same sound team.

The tactics menu music for Nohr is still easily one of my favourite tunes in the series. So fucking good.

Yes, both are composed by the same sound team.

The tactics menu music for Nohr is still easily one of my favourite tunes in the series. So fucking good.

This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1hxqLJ4bpE

Yeah its pretty great. That little melody 35 seconds is so catchy. Sometimes I just leave the game on and chill out to the music.

Not only the themes but the sound effects are so satisfying. Every click, tick, swish, swipe and all else sound so good it tickles my ears.

LOL @ Niles / Felicia's C support. She is so dense.

I really hate being unable to grind for support in Conquest since these characters are great. It however makes each new support unlock all the more rewarding as they dont come by as often as they did.

That one and Field Battle (Calm) are my two favorite tracks in the game by far.

Oh hell yes. I've had this track on loop for the last couple of days. Definitely top 5 Fates track.

Tingle

LOL @ Niles / Felicia's C support. She is so dense.

I really hate being unable to grind for support in Conquest since these characters are great. It however makes each new support unlock all the more rewarding as they dont come by as often as they did.

Oh hell yes. I've had this track on loop for the last couple of days. Definitely top 5 Fates track.

You can grind supports using the my castle feature.

You can grind supports using the my castle feature.

Is that when you fight other players online? I've honestly paid zero attention to the castle or online features of the game. I'm also a terrible pet owner and if Animal Welfare visited my castle and see how malnourished my dragon is, I would probably get arrested.

Kalentan

I'm on Chapter 5 of Conquest Hard... This shit is starting to feel legit broken in terms of difficulty.

The Wrymslayer weapons OHK me and my allies do like no damage.

side note, why in the world would anyone willingly choose to
go down the conquest path
after how the first 5 chapters are set up haha

Tingle

Is that when you fight other players online? I've honestly paid zero attention to the castle or online features of the game. I'm also a terrible pet owner and if Animal Welfare visited my castle and see how malnourished my dragon is, I would probably get arrested.

Yep, that is the online feature. Just pick some maps (preferably weak ones), talk to their commander, and chose to fight them. I find it easier if you challenge them in your castle.

Don't worry about your dragon, she isn't that helpful.

Otherwise, you could try grinding the Before Awakening free DLC, but that is probably harder.

I only chose conquest because it was harder lol
Honestly your siblings are really not that bad but it begs the question why the hell would you ever want to go back to the king considering all the horrible shit he does.

NeonZ

Maybe because if you think for a moment...
those troops that blew up stuff in chapter 5 weren't Nohr troops at all...

so question about the base stuff, is there any way you can screw it up? Like can I always build everything and get everything or do I have to carefully choose things?

Also, what is with feeding Lilith, I got a fish, should I just give that to her or should you do specific things regarding leveling her up?

GamerSoul

http://56.media.tumblr.com/ec47485f8dfb1560d709f9c306819bdf/tumblr_o3hbjxx0Hp1rs0zxko1_1280.jpg

Source

This is amazing... so far they are some of my best units! Love'em both.

Whew finally got through Chapter 23 Birthright. That was annoying and I am sure it will only get worse from now on.

TWILT

Banned
Just beat Conquest 24. God that was a pain lol
Freaking Azama and his Hexing Rod. And the pegasus reinforcements just kept coming. I admittedly made some poor choices in Camilla's placements since the bow users kept one shotting her, so I had to reset quite a few times and Laslow had to suffer a bad level up in the one run I finally beat, but whatever, we moving on; don't really feel like doing that again. >_>

And...Ryoma's next. Y-yay...

Hazmat

I'm on Chapter 5 of Conquest Hard... This shit is starting to feel legit broken in terms of difficulty.

The Wrymslayer weapons OHK me and my allies do like no damage.

Chapter 5 is a poorly-designed difficulty spike on hard. I felt like it was essentially a puzzle and only the exact right combination of moves could get me through it. I had to let Corrin kill everyone with Azura letting him go again every turn.

And FYI, Conquest Hard is pretty damn hard.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sibling rankings (personality wise)

Stoic older brother:

Xander > Ryoma

Xander has more charisma to his character. He makes some really good speeches in his supports and in some story scenes about what it means to be a good leader and a good person. Ryoma is pretty boring, actually. He lacks the charm that Xander has. Although, to be fair, Xander becomes much more brazen and unlikeable on Birthright side than Ryoma does on Conquest side. Still, Xander and his struggle with growing up as the future leader of a kingdom in turmoil lends itself to much more captivating narratives than Ryoma's strict bushido warrior personality, which seems to permeate everything he says and does.

Doting older sister:

Hinoka > Camilla

Camilla is a mentally unstable, creepy mess of a human being. Her sadistic tendencies and sexual overtones to almost everything she says are all red flags for someone with a lot of problems, not to mention her unhealthily clingy behavior towards Corrin. Hinoka is a much more level human being, and has the added virtue of having fought her way to greatness just for you. She became the badass that she is to get you back, and treats you well without being a borderline incestual pedophile about it.

Snooty younger brother:

Takumi = Leo

I can't choose between these two. Easily the most nuanced siblings in both paths, both as allies and as enemies. They both have insecurity issues that manifest in different ways, and both of them probably have the most interesting plot related moments when made into your enemy. Takumi has lower lows than Leo, but his insecurity feels like it goes deeper than Leo's does, with his more brazen personality acting as a front to make up for it. Leo plays himself very straightly compared to Takumi. Both excellent takes on the same archetype. Best siblings.

Cute younger sister:

Sakura > Elise

Elise can be a bit bratty at times. Sakura, on the other hand, is the sweetest girl. Elise has more of a presence whenever she's on screen, but Sakura has more depth to her character. She struggles with not being as courageous and bold as her siblings, feels guilty for not having a history with Corrin, and is constantly trying to better herself and be nice to everyone that she meets. Elise is pretty one note by comparison. I like them both, though - it's hard to dislike either of them.

Chrom

Are there any characters in Conquest whose death can be prevented like
Kaze
in Birthright? I'm starting chapter 12 now.

As far as I know,
Conquest doesn't have any scripted character deaths like Kaze's in Birthright. You don't have to worry about it.

Squire

Banned
Ryoma is anything but stoic. I'm actually surprised at how well he's characterized as a legitimate leader and a pretty benevolent Prince, too. He's knowledgable and grounded. Wouldn't say he's gruff or stoic in the slightest.

Can you not push some units equipment level to A? I just used an Arms Scroll on Orochi and it pushed her Lance level, but not her tome level. She's stuck at B for those.

L95

Ryoma is anything but stoic. I'm actually surprised at how well he's characterized as a legitimate leader and a pretty benevolent Prince, too. He's knowledgable and grounded. Wouldn't say he's gruff or stoic in the slightest.

Can you not push some units equipment level to A? I just used an Arms Scroll on Orochi and it pushed her Lance level, but not her tome level. She's stuck at B for those.

Classes have caps on each weapon level. EX: only SM can hit S swords, Nohr Noble can only get up to B tome

I'm not in his shoes though, heh. It's not like the game gives you much of an intro or anything to be fond of in Nohr. There are a few interesting characters you start out with and then a plethora of evil and betrayal. Sure, if I actually 'lived the life of Corrin' I'd agree with you, but that doesn't actually do any good for the player.

Yet you have no control over what Corrin says or does outside of a very few choices like which route you play and whether or not you kill execute someone after a mission or whatever and who Corrin marries. I don't think it makes sense to think of Corrin as a player avatar. I also don't think the game really needs to make you care about the relationships of the characters that early in the game. It's presented at face value that he's grown up with them and there is mutual love between them and Corrin even says to his/her mother's face that it's hard to care about the Hoshidans (including mom) in a personal way because they are all strangers (and then the terrible writing strikes with Corrin going berserk as soon as
mom dies
right after telling her that, lol).

Just to respond to this line of conversation quickly, this is really a problem that lies at the heart of any narrative video game that wants to present the idea that character is also a player avatar, which is why it's practically a cliché for avatars to be bewildered amnesiacs and blank slates, with or without voice acting (indeed, with a variety of possible selections for voice acting). Everything new to us as we play is also new to them. This isn't the case with Corrin, who has a history in Nohr, one that we only catch a glimpse of in scenes like training with Xander. And that's the compromise we usually see stricken, just as in the Zelda games, the only degree to which Link is established from the outset is through a snapshot of his relationships with other denizens of his home village.

(Personally, I have no trouble reading a pre-conceived main character as a character, but I've never been one to buy into the notion of identifying closely with avatars as a projection of yourself, or the supposed value to "immersion" that brings. Not in books, not in films, and not in most games, unless we're talking about an experience that is literally all self-decoration from top to bottom, like Animal Crossing. But I digress.)

Functionally, Corrin is like any other Lord in the series, only with a customizable name and gender and a profile card tradable via StreetPass. He/she is a stand-in for a social feature more than anything. Robin in Awakening got away with it because he/she was a blank-slate amnesiac regardless. By and large, however, Corrin is a somewhat more customizable version of Chrom or Hector or Micaiah so there's some diversity to the way people's save files are represented in online interaction, as well as more configurability to his stats (strengths, weaknesses, class affinity). It does send a bit of a mixed message for a game to treat its protagonist this way—is he the player, or just a conveniently placed tactician character who appears on the field (and thanks to reclassing, doesn't even have to be a tactician)?—but the ways in which the notion of a "player avatar" are a hindrance to the presentation of a narrative are problems that go well beyond this series.

I don't think it would make much of a difference if Fates retained the convention of addressing the player in the second person as an invisible tactician along for the ride, but it seems that most players regard highly customizable party members as a chance for them, rather than the developers, to set the agenda for who those characters are. And the branching of the game between Hoshido/Nohr/Revelation plays into that ideal of customization and its concomitant illusion of choice.

I was so stupid during chapter 12, I ended up having only Corrin, Camilla and Laslow alive by the time I got to the boss. I basically used everyone as a shield to protect Corrin and get him to the boss as soon as possible. I ended up hurting myself with the pots more than helping.

If it wasn't for Casual mode, I would have reseted 100 times so far. I need to stop trying to rush through this and utilize some strategy. The spike in difficulty already is pretty crazy.

As far as I know,
Conquest doesn't have any scripted character deaths like Kaze's in Birthright. You don't have to worry about it.

Gotcha, thanks!

Yep, that is the online feature. Just pick some maps (preferably weak ones), talk to their commander, and chose to fight them. I find it easier if you challenge them in your castle.

Don't worry about your dragon, she isn't that helpful.

Otherwise, you could try grinding the Before Awakening free DLC, but that is probably harder.

Ah ok. I'll keep an eye out for some weak challenges. My army is pretty damn weak.

Corrin has been looking up to the day he can tag along the other sibilings, he realizes Garron is a dick to everyone but he doenst realize that every mission is supposed to kill him. I find interesting how Corrin can talk about killing much more than anyone in awakening or PoR (that I remember) did, unlike other characters from the series who really dont talk much about it, he threathens people in the story, and even kill some in the middle of supports.

That makes sense.
As of chapter 12 he's under the impression that he's just being tested. As for his siblings, I can understand why they aren't willing to go against him just yet. They've had a longer history with Garon with possibly good memories and even though they recognize Garon is an asshole now, its not enough to move against him. Not yet at least.

I married Kaze to Camilla and I just finished
Midori's paralogue
until I realized that
I promoted her to Merchant (Offspring Seal)
, so that Shurikenfaire
she got from papa
isn't gonna do much until I reclass her. :(

I really need to remember to move the skills around more before I start a Paralogue and forget to check.

Birthright 10 is bullshit. BULLSHIT. What an awfully designed map.

The wall of enemies that start near you won't actually move, let the several ninjas and archers that rush you run into a death wall and don't bother breaking that non moving wall of enemies until after all the initial rushers are dead. After that you split your army to sweep the top and bottom halfs. The spike traps are annoying but not particularly dangerous and can be offset by having a bulk of your army stay near Azura. The only real threat is the reinforcements at the bottom so just leave 2-3 characters who can wipe them out until they stop spawning.

Fun map you just can't play aggressive or you'll get killed

Edit: did people really find chapter 5 that hard on hard? Just mark the enemies with wrymslayers so that your allies can kill them (or make sure corrin isn't in range of anyone who can one shot him when his turn ends). Its part of the tutorial and the only reason you should have any trouble is if you try to rush
and keep Ryoma alive which is pointless since its a scripted fight he's meant to lose.
It's basically a rookie trap battle you really shouldn't have that much trouble with it if you know how to play fe.

GamerSoul

Birthright chapter 23 is such a bullshit map. Eat 10 damage every turn, how fun.

Just got through it today with a crap load of luck so I feel your pain :/ It took me a day or two playing it on and off. The corridors are the only safe zones but again, you can't do much work in those crammed spots... I ended up equipping a number of my units with Concoctions to help and methodically sent my best units toward the Boss while the other stayed bunkered down for reinforcements. Shit was still tough though....

ElFly

Is there a point to reclassing to a previous class in fire emblem

Will I end up with higher stats?

Don t wanna lose my Butler who can use stars and staves, and going back to strategist is the only way to keep him that way

Top Bottom