• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Venfayth

The reason is to stay alongside the family that Corin grew up with, not to actually support Nohr's cause, although Corrin ends up forced to do that anyway.

Yeah, not feeling that at all I guess.

Thinking about dropping the difficulty and playing with Phoenix just to get it over with.

omlet

Finished with Birthright. Just started Conquest and it feels pretty bad. I wish the choice between the two was more morally ambiguous, there's literally no reason to support Nohr whatsoever.

Can I skip Conquest for Revelation or would I be missing a lot of important story beats?

I don't get why people keep complaining about this. In his shoes you would not be seeing things as presented to the player. You would be thinking "go with my siblings who I have grown up with as family, even if maybe it's true they're not blood-related, or go with a bunch of aggressive strangers who are attacking everyone I know and love?"

It's easy to sit there and judge the choice as a player where the game is clearly making Garon looks evil and you're not under any stress, but you have a perspective that Corrin does not and frankly choosing anything but Norh makes no sense.

Edit:
Now once that choice is made, the writing seems to stumble a bit with how to make an entire campaign out of that choice, because it doesn't take Corrin long to see how corrupt things are, so things get a little contrived to keep Corrin from just being able to say screw it and try to convince his siblings to defect or pull off regicide. However, that's really a different problem.

Hugstable

Banned
Hey I was wondering, when is the skills that you pass on to a child determined? When you do the S-Rank Support or when you start the Paralogue? Also what exactly is passed on? In Birthright I just went by whose hair color I liked, and I'm kinda going for that in Conquest, but since Conquest has been way more difficult for me on hard, I'm wondering if I should be going for good stuff getting passed down to children. I've already pre-planned my list by hair colors I like for the kids, but I doubt any of these are good pair ups lol.

Jakob x Beruka
Silas x Elise
Kaze x Effie
Odin x Nyx
Niles x Azura
Arthur x Charlotte
Benny x Pieri
Keaton x Camilla
Laslow x Selena
Xander x Mozu
Leo x Corrin or Felicia, probably Corrin

Anteo

Thanks for this! Yeah so far in the story,
Corrin seems delusional. I dont know why hes trying to get his fathers approval so much, its obvious Garon wants him dead. Even Xander understood this in chapter 7. I guess he wants to talk-no-jutsu Garon until he changes.

I'm glad it isn't as black and white as the trailers literally made it out to be.

Corrin has been looking up to the day he can tag along the other sibilings, he realizes Garron is a dick to everyone but he doenst realize that every mission is supposed to kill him. I find interesting how Corrin can talk about killing much more than anyone in awakening or PoR (that I remember) did, unlike other characters from the series who really dont talk much about it, he threathens people in the story, and even kill some in the middle of supports.

I don't get why people keep complaining about this. In his shoes you would not be seeing things as presented to the player. You would be thinking "go with my siblings who I have grown up with as family, even if maybe it's true they're not blood-related, or go with a bunch of aggressive strangers who are attacking everyone I know and love?"

It's easy to sit there and judge the choice as a player where the game is clearly making Garon looks evil and you're not under any stress, but you have a perspective that Corrin does not and frankly choosing anything but Norh makes no sense.

Edit:
Now once that choice is made, the writing seems to stumble a bit with how to make an entire campaign out of that choice, because it doesn't take Corrin long to see how corrupt things are, so things get a little contrived to keep Corrin from just being able to say screw it and try to convince his siblings to defect or pull off regicide. However, that's really a different problem.

Your edit is the problem with the story, if the story explained why they cant just raise against Garron inmediatly, for example build the relationship between the Sibilings and Garron as of a father that was kind of good to them but got even worse due to the corruption as the years passed, so the sibilings dont want just to fight him even if he is kind of evil now. Something like that would make the whole "we need to reveal to everyone else what Garron is now" much easier to swallow. The game really doesnt sell me on the motivations of everyone, everyone just wants to follow Corrin but still be loyal to Garron with not much of an explanaton, not even a "Garron commands so many people that if we raise against him we will be overwhelmed" or something.. we get nothing.

Hey I was wondering, when is the skills that you pass on to a child determined? When you do the S-Rank Support or when you start the Paralogue? Also what exactly is passed on? In Birthright I just went by whose hair color I liked, and I'm kinda going for that in Conquest, but since Conquest has been way more difficult for me on hard, I'm wondering if I should be going for good stuff getting passed down to children. I've already pre-planned my list by hair colors I like for the kids, but I doubt any of these are good pair ups lol.

Jakob x Beruka
Silas x Elise
Kaze x Effie
Odin x Nyx
Niles x Azura
Arthur x Charlotte
Benny x Pieri
Keaton x Camilla
Laslow x Selena
Xander x Mozu
Leo x Corrin or Felicia, probably Corrin

when you start the paralouge and you can always exit out and change them if you forget or something

the very last equipped skill from both parents get passed on and the child usually starts at level 10 so they have their two skills from their base class too
I believe if you attempt to pass down a skill the child would already have (either from base class or from their other parent) another skill won't be passed down instead

for conquest, due to a lack of real grinding, you can either go with skills in the class tree your child isn't going to go through, or skills from base classes they don't start if you don't plan on reclassing that much

omlet

Hey I was wondering, when is the skills that you pass on to a child determined? When you do the S-Rank Support or when you start the Paralogue? Also what exactly is passed on?

The skills are determined when you start the paralog. I'm not sure on all the skill inheriting rules but at a glance it looks like the kid gets majority of skills from the father then the bottom-most (right-most) equipped skill from the mom. I have not actually recruited any kids yet so someone else can probably give a better answer.

Venfayth

Edit:

I'm not in his shoes though, heh. It's not like the game gives you much of an intro or anything to be fond of in Nohr. There are a few interesting characters you start out with and then a plethora of evil and betrayal. Sure, if I actually 'lived the life of Corrin' I'd agree with you, but that doesn't actually do any good for the player.

Kalentan

Hey guys, sorry, just one last question. How does romance in this game work? Cause I'm wondering to play male or female. Cause I think I like the female design better.

Draxal

The skills are determined when you start the paralog. I'm not sure on all the skill inheriting rules but at a glance it looks like the kid gets majority of skills from the father then the bottom-most (right-most) equipped skill from the mom. I have not actually recruited any kids yet so someone else can probably give a better answer.

One from mom and dad, the other are base class skills.

PK Gaming

tumblr_o3hbjxx0Hp1rs0zxko1_1280.jpg

Source

Balphon

Hey guys, sorry, just one last question. How does romance in this game work? Cause I'm wondering to play male or female. Cause I think I like the female design better.

Characters can build affection with other characters by a variety of means, the most common of which is by supporting each other in combat (i.e. by attacking while paired up or while adjacent to each other). After a certain number of affection "points" you can view a conversation between the two characters in camp and increase their "Support" rank. If the characters are of the opposite sex, once this rank maxes out (at S), they will marry and their child will become available to recruit. Characters can only max out the Support rank this way with one other character.

Not every character will be able to build Support with every other character. The exception is the main character, who can build support with everyone. The identity of the child characters is generally tied to the father in Fates, so a female MC will make it easier for you to get all the children if you're concerned about that.

Kalentan

Characters can build affection with other characters by a variety of means, the most common of which is by supporting each other in combat (i.e. by attacking while paired up or while adjacent to each other). After a certain number of affection "points" you can view a conversation between the two characters in camp and increase their "Support" rank. If the characters are of the opposite sex, once this rank maxes out (at S), they will marry and their child will become available to recruit. Characters can only max out the Support rank this way with one other character.

Not every character will be able to build Support with every other character. The exception is the main character, who can build support with everyone. The identity of the child characters is generally tied to the father in Fates, so a female MC will make it easier for you to get all the children if you're concerned about that.

So I can romance anyone as the main character?

microdot

I'm glad about this Levin Sword/magic weapon discussion because I'm currently at a loss in terms of my Revelation Corrin build and Levin Sword Paladin was one of the options that I kept hearing. I'm not sure how effective it would be though, and this is going to be my grind file so I don't want to screw myself with a bad build.

In Conquest I went for +Str -Lck Swordmaster with a handful of Nohr Prince/Noble skills which worked out quite well for Conquest. In Birthright I'm doing a +Skl -Lck Hero build with an emphasis on offensive skill activation aided by the Hoshido Noble class skill.

I want to do a +Mag build for Revelation, but I'm unsure of my best options. Any tips?

I'm on a +MAG -LCK paladin build on conquest hard using Levin sword. I'm wrecking fools but my only complaint is it doesn't activate skills or crits because of the sword.

CazTGG

I'm not in his shoes though, heh. It's not like the game gives you much of an intro or anything to be fond of in Nohr. There are a few interesting characters you start out with and then a plethora of evil and betrayal. Sure, if I actually 'lived the life of Corrin' I'd agree with you, but that doesn't actually do any good for the player.

This. The relationship with "your" (and by your, I mean Corrin) Nohrian siblings is barely established during the rushed first few chapters. Having repeatedly played through it, there are minor traits to pick up on like Camilla's...interest in her brother's well-being and, on the Hoshidan side, Ryoma's rational thinking (such as when he points out how Garon may have tried to kill him via the sword), but familial bonds between his siblings are only lightly touched upon, only being brought up during the choice where the sentiment rings hollow. Yes, the relationships clearly hold a deep meaning for Corrin, but not only is Corrin supposed to be the player avatar, the game fails to make the player care about the relationships of the character they're supposed to share in this game's world, thus the decision is left up to the player's personal views on family (i.e. choosing blood or the people you grew up with) and the events that take place over the first 5-6 chapters, the latter of which are in favor of Hoshido as Nohr commits several morally dubious actions ranging from multiple assassination attempts against you or your Hoshidan siblings to the mass murder of innocent civilians along with other acts of aggression such as the border dispute you participate in, ignorant or not of Garon's intentions. Frankly, the fact that the game frames "siding with your Nohrian family" as a choice makes the least amount of sense from a story and moral perspective, to say nothing of the utterly wretched writing that accompanies the Conquest path.

Lunar15

It's kind of weird, Outside of height, hair, voice, and slight facial differences, neither Robin nor Corrin are really at all avatars for the player. They're 100% their own character and you don't really do anything that makes a choice of who they are. (outside of the whole nohr/hoshido route)

The japanese concept of "my unit" made a bit more sense, because it's really just a unit you design. It's not really a self insert in any way.

Just saw the first Fates TV commercial at the gym. The cutscenes look amazing on a big screen! Damn

It was on comedy central.

Kagero was always top shelf but Im surprised how much I liked Orochi as well. On my second Birthright playthrough she was one of the units I used all the time.

Balphon

Oh...

wow, really? So I basically either play as a guy or play as a female and romance no one... great...

The same-sex romance supports are limited to one on each side (Conquest Male, Birthright Female). A female main character can still romance any of the male characters.

Draxal

Just saw the first Fates TV commercial at the gym. The cutscenes look amazing on a big screen! Damn

It was on comedy central.

Kagero was always top shelf but Im surprised how much I liked Orochi as well. On my second Birthright playthrough she was one of the units I used all the time.

Orochi is the least popular female character in the game.

So on chapter 16 conquest what's the largest amount of war chest money that you can save? Do I have to check each soldier or is there a specific one?

Astral Dog

The game hud (?) is different between Conquest and Birthright right?
I mean the stats that appear before you battle the enemy, on Conquest is some kind of flashing bar its a bit distracting.

omlet

Yes, the relationships clearly hold a deep meaning for Corrin, but not only is Corrin supposed to be the player avatar, the game fails to make the player care about the relationships of the character they're supposed to share in this game's world
Yet you have no control over what Corrin says or does outside of a very few choices like which route you play and whether or not you kill execute someone after a mission or whatever and who Corrin marries. I don't think it makes sense to think of Corrin as a player avatar. I also don't think the game really needs to make you care about the relationships of the characters that early in the game. It's presented at face value that he's grown up with them and there is mutual love between them and Corrin even says to his/her mother's face that it's hard to care about the Hoshidans (including mom) in a personal way because they are all strangers (and then the terrible writing strikes with Corrin going berserk as soon as
mom dies
right after telling her that, lol).

Frankly, the fact that the game frames "siding with your Nohrian family" as a choice makes the least amount of sense from a story and moral perspective, to say nothing of the utterly wretched writing that accompanies the Conquest path.
If the war is gonna happen either way, does siding with Corrin's Norhian family really make less sense morally? It's a matter of perspective and Corrin siding with his Nohrian family really makes the most sense in the heat of the moment when forced to decide because Corrin doesn't have the perspective that the player has.

So on chapter 16 conquest what's the largest amount of war chest money that you can save? Do I have to check each soldier or is there a specific one?
I only managed to save about 6000ish. You have to talk to all the guards.

If the war is gonna happen either way, does siding with Corrin's Norhian family really make less sense morally? It's a matter of perspective and Corrin siding with his Nohrian family really makes the most sense in the heat of the moment when forced to decide because Corrin doesn't have the perspective that the player has.

from Corrin's perspective he sees that Garon just tried sacrificing him in order to assassinate the queen. He is fully aware of Garon doing that, he says so in chapter 7 in Conquest and chapter 6 in birthright

Siding with Nohr was seriously laughable

omlet

He is fully aware of Garon doing that, he says so in chapter 7 in Conquest and chapter 6 in birthright

Yeah, he is starting to catch on to Garon, but Garon, who Corrin is distant from, and also now distrusts, wasn't the one there saying pick between me and them, it was the siblings he/she loves. If it had been, then yeah it would have been pretty crazy to not go with Hoshido.

Balphon

from Corrin's perspective he sees that Garon just tried sacrificing him in order to assassinate the queen. He is fully aware of Garon doing that, he says so in chapter 7 in Conquest and chapter 6 in birthright

Siding with Nohr was seriously laughable

He/she grew up with the Nohr royalty and didn't know the Hoshidos from Adam. It makes sense purely on that basis.

PBalfredo

Can you capture bosses and/or named characters? I'm in Birthright chapter 13 and
just killed Camilla :(
, but if I beefed up Orochi could I have captured them and their retainers instead?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Conquest 25

HOW

Might just go down to normal... I made it this far on hard, after all.

He/she grew up with the Nohr royalty and didn't know the Hoshidos from Adam. It makes sense purely on that basis.
Exactly this. His siblings show up and are like, let's go home. And of course he wants to go with them. It's a decision that makes sense at the moment. He thinks he might be able to convince Garon to change, he wants to confront him directly, and he thinks that doing so without bringing an army to his doorstep is the best way to peace. Obviously, he was wrong. Which makes Conquest's story interesting, because it beats you over the head with the fact that you screwed up throughout the game. I think even Corrin realizes that he should have sided with Hoshido, but by that point it's far too late... so he has to work with what he's got.

No_Style

Camilla's obsession with Corrin is unsettling and cringy. I find most of the Nohr side to be off kilter so I'm curious how they all behave in Conquest.

That feel when you forget an enemy has a ranged weapon and can get to one of your weaker units that you placed there for an easy kill a turn earlier and kills them :(

Whoops. Restart!

PBalfredo

What to do with Rinkah? Despite her character art making her look as built as a brick shithouse, she has leveled up magic more than strength so far. I've been debating benching her, but she is also the only Hoshindin who uses axes/clubs so far. She fills a much needed niche, I just wish she wasn't so crap about doing it. Can she be promoted into something that takes advantage of her growths, or just hang on until I can promote someone else to an axe-user?

CazTGG

What to do with Rinkah? Despite her character art making her look as built as a brick shithouse, she has leveled up magic more than strength so far. I've been debating benching her, but she is also the only Hoshindin who uses axes/clubs so far. She fills a much needed niche, I just wish she wasn't so crap about doing it. Can she be promoted into something that takes advantage of her growths, or just hang on until I can promote someone else to an axe-user?

Not counting Dread Fighter reclasses (since Dread Fighters can wield axes, swords and daggers/shuriken but suffers from an even weaker strength growth for Rinkah), the best option in Birthright is to promote her into an Oni Chieftain due to the skills that class gains, one of them being the coveted Counter.

In Revelations, you can get an A+ support with Charlotte to make her a Fighter/Berserker via Friendship Seal which is a better option for her.

What's better for Sakura: Onmyoji or Priestess?

Unless you get really unlucky with STR/unlucky with MAG, go with Onmyoji (getting the Priestess skills are worthwhile. Sticking with it is not, not unless you'd prefer Sakura be a clean-up unit of sorts.)

Top Bottom