• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Marz

Shame on me for not purchasing this game yet, but I am torn on what version I should purchase initially. Should it be Conquest or Birthright? What are the differences between the two and does playing one first as opposed to another in anyway effect the story?
I played and loved the 3 Fire Emblem games I have played which is Awakenings on 3DS and the GC version Path of Radiance and it's sequel Radiant Dawn.

Read the OP.

Finished up Birthright on Hard/Classic last night. I didn't bother with any challenges, invasions, or castle fights so I didn't really grind at all. That said, the last handful of chapters were by no means pushovers. Very rewarding level of difficulty that required a lot of planning and attention from me, I loved it.

Now on the Conquest. I'm going to stick with Hard/Classic but this thread has me scared, haha.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is it worth sticking it out on Conquest/Hard for the last two chapters? I really want bragging rights, but it feels like it's geared around min/maxing and I didn't really use optimal pairings at all. I don't want to reduce the difficulty, but it's just not fun at this point when everyone is almost one shotted. Camilla can't go anywhere without dying.

Conquest Chapter 20

I really don't like this wind mechanic. I feel like I haven't figured out exactly how it works yet.
Worst map in either game

Draxal

Is it worth sticking it out on Conquest/Hard for the last two chapters? I really want bragging rights, but it feels like it's geared around min/maxing and I didn't really use optimal pairings at all. I don't want to reduce the difficulty, but it's just not fun at this point when everyone is almost one shotted. Camilla can't go anywhere without dying.

Worst map in either game

Wait to you play Rev.

NeonZ

Are Paralogue maps different among the games?
I was saving these for Revelation, so I haven't checked them out.

They're the same, if they appear in multiple games. Mozu's is always the same, alongside the children of Azura and male characters who join in both Nohr and Hoshido. However, there are maps for the Norh and Hoshido exclusive children too, and then they all appear in Revelations.

There isn't balancing based on the base game either - so, when you play the neutral character paralogues in Conquest, you'll see enemies without skills and sometimes with lower stats than usual, since they were balanced around Birthright, but then the actual Conquest exclusive characters have paralogues that follow Conquest's design style.

Worst map in either game

My new strategy is that I need to activate the wind on my turn, and hopefully I don't mess up and isolate one of my characters from the group.

Birthright 24 on Hard: holy fucking shit.

giphy.gif

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Gods...so I've been having difficulties with chapter 11 rebirth. Enemies seem super high leveled compared to my units.

Took 5 tries to make it through without losing anyone.

Just found out you can grind exp and level characters up. LOL.

Tingle

Not looking forward to this. 2 range healing has been such a lifesaver in Birthright.

If you use the My Castle feature, you can visit Hoshido castles and buy their staves and weapons. Some people might take issue with that, though. But the option is available.

Busaiku

Does the prologue change after completing Birthright/Conquest?
I don't remember the AI, besides Ryoma and Xander, fighting previously.
But now I see Saizo, Beruka, and more. I do remember Hans and Yukimura though.

If you use the My Castle feature, you can visit Hoshido castles and buy their staves and weapons. Some people might take issue with that, though. But the option is available.

Yeah, I'll probably use that as a last resort. Like grinding, I'm not completely against it, but I'll avoid doing it if I can.

I always just had my characters activate it each turn, since that way it affects the enemies, and it won't reactive to affect you at the end of the turn.

So, uh,
having a good attempt at managing the wind being thwarted by some unlucky RNG against Niles, I now somehow have Xander at the boss corner of the map on my next attempt. I would hope that he could defeat the boss, but now he is frozen one space away. Mind you, my entire army is on the complete opposite side of the map at this point.
So this is going well.

Cruxist

So, uh,
having a good attempt at managing the wind being thwarted by some unlucky RNG against Niles, I now somehow have Xander at the boss corner of the map on my next attempt. I would hope that he could defeat the boss, but now he is frozen one space away. Mind you, my entire army is on the complete opposite side of the map at this point.
So this is going well.

Do you have flying units? If you abuse the wind mechanic and get pushed on purpose, you can't get 2 ground and 2 fliers on the boss platform by the second turn without starting a fight.

NeonZ

Chapter 21 of Conquest is so badly designed. I really don't like how it becomes much easier if you just go with a couple of high defense units, rather than your entire party, but the enemy's attacks and skills, alongside the actual map objective, heavily favor that.

Do you have flying units? If you abuse the wind mechanic and get pushed on purpose, you can't get 2 ground and 2 fliers on the boss platform by the second turn without starting a fight.

But I must get all of the experience I can. And I died to RNG again. I've never seen so many 50%s hit.

PBalfredo

What are some fun support convos to get for the Hoshido crew? I'm feeling oddly uninspired on the shipping front; most of the Hoshido dudes strike me as kinda dull.

If i plan to play all three campaigns, should I play revelations last?
Or can I play rebirth, then revelations and then conquest?

Is there a way to prevent Ryoma from "Dying" in chapter 5? Nd do you get anything for doing so?

GamerSoul

Phew, ended up beating it on my second attempt. There were some very tense moments though. Shout-out to Orochi for shredding
Hans'
HP.

EDIT:
Lmao, this cutscene. Stop trying to do emotional scenes, IntSys.

Yea that was a c'mon man moment..and it came out of no where too. Lol.

Conquest is kicking my ass completely. 17 and 18 have been really difficult and I'm barely getting by. Both of those missions were won with hail mary attacks.

On 17, Camilla missed the boss twice. She was down to 1 HP and I had 58% chance of connecting. If this missed I would have had to start over as I was down to just 4 units and there was no way I could take on the reinforcements. Thankfully it hit.

18 was painful due to my lack of patience. Lost some powerful dudes early on like an idiot but managed to win with Xander.

I do enjoy this tension and sweaty palms that I didnt get playing Birthright, save a mission or two.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You know what? I don't have any idea what I'm doing in this game as far as classes go compared to when I played Awakening.

I took my Avatar's base class to lvl 20. Was I not supposed to do that? Should I use a Master Seal to become a Hoshidan Noble or use a Heart Seal to become a Samurai? I also have the option right now of becoming a Ninja with the Friendship Seal.

I'm confused.

L95

You know what? I don't have any idea what I'm doing in this game as far as classes go compared to when I played Awakening.

I took my Avatar's base class to lvl 20. Was I not supposed to do that? Should I use a Master Seal to become a Hoshidan Noble or use a Heart Seal to become a Samurai? I also have the option right now of becoming a Ninja with the Friendship Seal.

I'm confused.

What do you mean by not supposed to do that? Level 20 is good. Pick whatever class you want. Samurai is from the thing you chose in character creation. Friendship seal is from having an A rank with someone with that class. (Kaze?)

Regardless, you're going to need to use a master seal eventually, as heart/friendship seals do not reset level so you're stuck at 20 until you use a master seal.

I'm confused.

At this point, your only real option is to use a Master Seal. Heart Seals and Friendship Seals won't reset your level, so using either will just result in you becoming a level 20 Samurai or Ninja.

Though I suppose you could change to Ninja/Samurai and use a Master Seal from there if that's what you wanted.

Is there a way to prevent Ryoma from "Dying" in chapter 5? Nd do you get anything for doing so?

Not really; it's all up to the RNG. Regardless of the outcome, he'll still end up in your party later in the game. I don't believe there are any rewards if he survives.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What do you mean by not supposed to do that? Level 20 is good. Pick whatever class you want. Samurai is from the thing you chose in character creation. Friendship seal is from having an A rank with someone with that class. (Kaze?)

Regardless, you're going to need to use a master seal eventually, as heart/friendship seals do not reset level so you're stuck at 20 until you use a master seal.

At this point, your only real option is to use a Master Seal. Heart Seals and Friendship Seals won't reset your level, so using either will just result in you becoming a level 20 Samurai or Ninja.

Though I suppose you could change to Ninja/Samurai and use a Master Seal from there if that's what you wanted.

Thanks guys!

silva1991

Revelation did came out right?

haven't finished Conquest yet and I still need more Fates

besides that third path is the most interesting one.

Silas is so boring and needy. Towered over by his successor. Hinata, Azama, and Saizo all fare much better.

How dare you speak ill of my husbando?

srsly he and female Corrin look perfect together.

Neoweee

I am confirmed awful at Fire Emblem. Have died probably about 10 times at chapter 5 on classic mode

On Hard, that chapter is harder than the next few of Conquest, imo.

I'm assuming you mean Hard, because on Normal it is genuinely difficult to die on that mission. It has far fewer enemies, so you can run in with the Avatar and just fuckin' eat the guy that could potentially do damage.

Astral Dog

Conquest Chapter 13, how do you guys do it? They dont even let you choose all your available units against basically most of Hoshido army. .
And half enemies/bosses are advanced classes!

Also you cant even grind on the DLC chapter why
Revelation did came out right?

haven't finished Conquest yet and I still need more Fates

besides that third path is the most interesting one.
On the 10

Top Bottom