• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

I just got there yesterday, and beat it today after four or five attempts. There was one run where I wiped the whole left side of the map clean (including Takumi), but I lost since that allowed units on the other side of the map to clutter up while I wasn't aware that I had to prevent enemy units from reaching any of the four green tiles (gotta blame my limited kanji vocabulary for that).

Next time I parked Elfie on the top-left with Felicia for backup, got Zero and Sylas on the right side, made Nyx blast foes with that magical artifact thing every turn (often with Aqua support so that she could do it twice and my other units could pick them off with no chance for a counterattack), all while the rest of the team clogged up the center of the map and Mozume finished things off for those sweet villager level-ups. Camilla being my first upgraded class unit was OP as hell, but I had to use her a lot to prevent random pegasi from sneaking away or ganging up on my ground units. By the way, could anyone tell me why she apparently has two attack commands?

Oh, and one more thing... is there a point in min-maxing character pairings on Normal/Classic difficulty? I don't actually care all that much about getting optimal skills or ideal stat growths on my units, and have been pairing my unit up with Mozume mostly because I like her kansai dialect (well, that and how quickly her stats go up, I guess).
Camila has the lunge ability which allows her to attack from a range and then take the spot of the unit she killed. AFAIK.

PK Gaming

Any suggestions on quality birthright characters? Also, anyone I should specifically not waste time on bc they are bad?

Also, in general for birthright, should I be leveling everyone in their starting class to 20 before worrying about anything else build/class wise?

Invaluable Units: Corrin, Ryoma, Azura, Felicia/Jakob*, Hinoka, Crimson, Reina, Kaze, Saizou
Good Units: Takumi, Silas, Hana, Tsubaki, Oboro, Kaden, Sakura, Hinata, Kagerou, Orochi
Decent Units: Mozu, Setsuna, Azama, Hayato, Rinkah
Pair Up Units: Rinkah, Kagerou, Silas, Hana/Hinata, Setsuna
Child Units: (All of the child units)

Invaluable units are either immediately strong (Ryoma, Crimson, Reina) or have high availability and are useful throughout the game (the rest)

Good units are... good units that are mostly self-sufficient. Some of them will need a few resources to be maintained (Seraph Robe and constant HP tonics for Hana, Speed Wings for Takumi, etc)

Decent units can pull their weight, but they need a moderate amount resources to be good. You need to feed Mozu/Hayato kills, and Rinkah, Azama/Setsuna need special treatment, etc

Child units (typically) come later in the game, and the majority of them are outdone by 1st gen units (they're definitely not as godlike like in Awakening), but they're pretty good units, especially if you wait until they come with the offspring seal.

*Jakob has less utility in the mid/lategame due to fact he can't keep up offensively. Felicia can still dish out good damage with the Flame Shuriken.

EDIT: Talked it over with someone and came to conclusion that Hayato and Rinkah are at least on par with Mozu.

I'd put Kaze and maybe Saizo in the invaluable category. Both require virtually no investment, start off great and other than Ryoma and Bolt Naginata Hinoka are the best 1-2 range options in a game where the most common objective is rout.

Good list otherwise though.

Lunar15

Disclaimer: I love Conquest so far, specifically for the creative, sometimes multiple objectives. That said, some maps are plagued with an element of artificial difficulty.

I don't love reinforcements that spawn within a range of the boss. There's no way to anticipate when it will happen. I don't remember these ambushes being prevalent in previous FE. As far as I'm concerned, reinforcements should be turn-based.

If you're referring to the situation in Ch.12, you should be way out of range of those reinforcements by the time you're near the boss.

Saizo and Felicia are my Favorite characters in Fates.

Both are funny, good designs, great supports ,and actually useful.

Although I hate to admit that I hate Corrin. As much I didn't care for Robin/Chrom/Lucina, I don't hate them and can't believe we got a worst lord after those guys

PK Gaming

I'd put Kaze and maybe Saizo in the invaluable category. Both require virtually no investment, start off great and other than Ryoma and Bolt Naginata Hinoka are the best 1-2 range options in a game where the most common objective is rout.

Good list otherwise though.

Ah, good point. I was concerned about Kaze's strength in the lategame, but debuffs are legit and Ninja's are generally pretty ridiculous in this game. The 2 of them even have natural access to Replicate.

Draxal

My Arthur and Odin are completely unusuable. Odin got benched quickly and Arthur is a stat-wagon for Effie.

Oh gameplay wise half of these suck. I made Odin a Dark Flier (he actually got really good speed out of it, but his Mag growth still sucked).

Ophelia more than makes up for him though.

As for PK's rating guide, you probably want to add another category for pair up bots. Kagero's decent, but she's the best pair up bot Hoshido side.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Bad Units: Rinkah, Hayato
I realize that mages aren't looked on as favorably because of the introduction of Ninjas, but my Hayato turned out pretty nutty without really needing that much babying, and I still found magic to be useful for dealing with certain enemies.

Dimmle

Kagero and Kaze ended up having more utility than Saizo for me but he is great as a pair-up for his bro.

I wouldn't put Rinkah in with Hayato, though. She's a great meat shield.

PK Gaming

Oh gameplay wise half of these suck. I made Odin a Dark Flier (he actually got really good speed out of it, but his Mag growth still sucked).

Ophelia more than makes up for him though.

As for PK's rating guide, you probably want to add another category for pair up bots. Kagero's decent, but she's the best pair up bot Hoshido side.

Gotcha. Would something like:

Pair Up Units: Rinkah, Kagerou, Hana/Hinata(if either of them get RNG screwed), Silas, Setsuna

work?

I realize that mages aren't looked on as favorably because of the introduction of Ninjas, but my Hayato turned out pretty nutty without really needing that much babying, and I still found magic to be useful for dealing with certain enemies.

Hayato has value when trained up (and is actually good on Revelations), but he joins at level 1 on Birthright, meaning he needs significant favoritism (and luck) if he wants to catch up. Mages are actually pretty good on Birthright towards the end due to ludicrous amount of Great Knights/Generals you have to fight.

Ophelia was a staple in my conquest army, and I was running Kana as a mage (She was somehow getting good magic skillups even though her father was strong/dull. Ophelia was her mother though so I guess she just balanced her out well enough)

Dimmle

If you're referring to the situation in Ch.12, you should be way out of range of those reinforcements by the time you're near the boss.
I'm referring to reinforcements in 9 and 13. The ones in 12 are turn-based, the good kind of reinforcements.

I'm referring to reinforcements in 9 and 13. The ones in 12 are turn-based, the good kind of reinforcements.
I wish the turn based reinforcements had warnings anyway. It still feels annoying when reinforcements just pop up and your next turn has to be dedicated to repositioning for it. The worst is when they can move in the same turn (I believe fire emblem has done that before)

Valkyria Chronicles is my favorite strategy game, and one thing I like is you always have extra warning for reinforcements. Someone over comms telling you reinforcements are coming from whatever direction. I think fire emblem should do something like that

Fandangox

My Arthur and Odin are completely unusuable. Odin got benched quickly and Arthur is a stat-wagon for Effie.

They are kind of useless and Odin needs his S support to even be useful (he has more strength as a dark mage than magic) but I like a challenge

Going by supports my favorites have been Odin, Niles, Felicia, Dwyer and can't really think of a fifth one, Arthur comes close, but he overplays the justice bit a lot. Percy is adorable, but haven't used him at all, so can't say.

Props to the various supports suggesting that Odin is striking his artwork pose most of the time, or the Niles and Felicia C support, I just imagined Niles going

026.gif

lol

Also the Niles and Odin support are a bit reminiscent of the Bastian x Volke supports from PoR, they kind of seem to play off similarly.

L95

I wish the turn based reinforcements had warnings anyway. It still feels annoying when reinforcements just pop up and your next turn has to be dedicated to repositioning for it. The worst is when they can move in the same turn (I believe fire emblem has done that before)

Valkyria Chronicles is my favorite strategy game, and one thing I like is you always have extra warning for reinforcements. Someone over comms telling you reinforcements are coming from whatever direction. I think fire emblem should do something like that

I've seen older FEs do this, but it really seems up to if they feel like making a boss say something to themselves about reinforcements.

Same turn reinforcement don't happen in Fates. It did in Awakening tho

FE has had warnings about reinforcements, but it makes the game easy in my opinion, I like the surprise attack, but thats just me
I've seen older FEs do this, but it really seems up to if they feel like making a boss say something to themselves about reinforcements.

Yeah, When you get Tharja in Awakening or Cordelia, they mention reinforcements coming

Dimmle

Wait, what do you mean by turn based? I don't remember non-turn based reinforcements in Chapter 9.
The spear guys and archers that pop up near the boss only spawn when you step within a set of tiles, incidentally the ones you need to step on to get to him. They aren't tied to a certain turn.

NawtKool

Neo Member
Anyone know how to get the Aptitude skill on the Avatar?

I was visiting someone's castle and saw someone who had it. I was curious as to how to get it (other than a castle battle I guess).

How would a skill set for Ophelia like this be?

Vantage
Vengance
Death Blow
Gamble
Awakening

Just crit everything.

I was visiting someone's castle and saw someone who had it. I was curious as to how to get it (other than a castle battle I guess).

Those are hackers who put the skills onto Corrin, the only "normal" way to get it for him is to buy the skill from them.

I have no shame/regret in buying them for my Conquest army.

You can't they used hacks.

Only Mozu and her child can get Aptitude I think

NawtKool

Neo Member
I thought that might be the case, but I wanted to be sure. Oh well, guess I'll take it off my Avatar. Benefiting off someone's hack feels icky.

I thought that might be the case, but I wanted to be sure. Oh well, guess I'll take it off my Avatar. Benefiting off someone's hack feels icky.
It's not worth it anyways, stats are not hard to reach their limit in this game. And the skill got nerfed, for good reason tho

Ogodei

I'm making Odin work. A non-squishy mage is also good for those times when you need to put him out there to kill something and don't have to panic that there are physical fighters left alive in range.

He's Belka's husbando now.

Zebetite

Banned
I'm making Odin work. A non-squishy mage is also good for those times when you need to put him out there to kill something and don't have to panic that there are physical fighters left alive in range.

He's a perfectly valid option for your first Heart Seal (samurai), but if you've already put some levels into him as a mage it might be better to ride him out to Dark Knight.

NawtKool

Neo Member
It's not worth it anyways, stats are not hard to reach their limit in this game. And the skill got nerfed, for good reason tho

Maybe not, but it'd be nice to have a little protection from bad rng. Moot point either way I suppose.

But man I really would've loved to use it legitimately D;

Rainy

Banned
I'm around Chapter 20 in Birthright Hard. I find that the story chapters are pretty easy but man the paralogues kinda wreck me. Time to grind I guess?
Either that or I can do them right before I beat the game, but since they scale with you that wouldn't make things any easier.

Lunar15

The spear guys and archers that pop up near the boss only spawn when you step within a set of tiles, incidentally the ones you need to step on to get to him. They aren't tied to a certain turn.

I don't really remember this, that's the one with the houses in the ice village, right?

Kusagari

My Azama ended up being pretty godlike. His speed and defense both ended up through the roof and he was doing 20+ damage with brass weapons instantly after promotion.

Brakke

Banned
So what's up with Lilith? I've done two NPC castle invasions and she hasn't even activated once during Ally Phase... She's like level 40+ and has E on Breath weapon: I don't even know what that it.

Luigi87

So what's up with Lilith? I've done two NPC castle invasions and she hasn't even activated once during Ally Phase... She's like level 40+ and has E on Breath weapon: I don't even know what that it.

She only does stuff if units are within her range.
I've not found her particularly useful.

Ponn

Banned
The DLC right now is more like the second half of the Awakening DLC and not the first half (which pretty much everybody but Neonz hated).

If you didn't get the Awakening DLC ... um only buy it if you like to grind everything, as it just allows alternate classes and skills.

Thanks. I thought the Awakening DLC was really lacking, I certainly don't need to ADD characters to a full roster i'm not even using anyways. I do in fact love grinding though and working on characters growth and skills, something i really missed from the run and gun approach to Conquest. I'm just starting Birthright and if i'm going to get the DLC I would rather get it now and work it into my playthrough then after.

Brakke

Banned
She only does stuff if units are within her range.
I've not found her particularly useful.

Does she attack even? Seems lame. I was feeding her for the gold bar rewards but I don't think I care about gold anymore now that all the people I care about have Master Sealed.

I'm around Chapter 20 in Birthright Hard. I find that the story chapters are pretty easy but man the paralogues kinda wreck me. Time to grind I guess?
Either that or I can do them right before I beat the game, but since they scale with you that wouldn't make things any easier.

Funny, I'm at 17 in Birthright Hard and I've had the total opposite experience. The story chapters provide a decent challenge, but the paralogues are a breeze.

Balphon

There's a rather large variance in difficulty between the paralogues. Some of them are very simple while others are difficult and complicated.

Ophelia is so much better than him as a mage it's a little silly.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Finally beat Conquest (on hard, too!!!)

Story picked up again near the end. I liked it.
Queen Hinoka is honestly a cooler idea than King Ryoma

Check out my spoiler thread for both games (Not Revelations)

Airgetlam

I can't see how anyone could have fun with this game with perma death. Seriously. Some of these later story missions are ridiculous. Someone's gonna have to die. I've pretty much come to terms with this. I could only imagine how this game would be if casual wasn't an option.

Astral Dog

Saizo and Felicia are my Favorite characters in Fates.

Both are funny, good designs, great supports ,and actually useful.

Although I hate to admit that I hate Corrin. As much I didn't care for Robin/Chrom/Lucina, I don't hate them and can't believe we got a worst lord after those guys

I thought Corrin was "ok" in Birthright, but i cant stand her/him on Conquest, jesus. its like she cant stop complaining she works for the devil.

Astral Dog

If i got it right, the paralogues grind with you, thats what they told me after many tries and why i stopped doing them. :U

Rainy

Banned
Funny, I'm at 17 in Birthright Hard and I've had the total opposite experience. The story chapters provide a decent challenge, but the paralogues are a breeze.

There's a rather large variance in difficulty between the paralogues. Some of them are very simple while others are difficult and complicated.

If i got it right, the paralogues grind with you, thats what they told me after many tries and why i stopped doing them. :U

I've heard Shiro's is one of the harder ones and that was the one I was referring to :x
I did just beat it though, not without some casualties, but I'm on casual anyway haha. Required some precise placement using Rescue.

Neol

I can't see how anyone could have fun with this game with perma death. Seriously. Some of these later story missions are ridiculous. Someone's gonna have to die. I've pretty much come to terms with this. I could only imagine how this game would be if casual wasn't an option.

The fun comes from the challenge it takes to be able to clear seemingly impossible chapters without anyone dying.

Sure its gonna take multiple restarts but that satisfaction of seeing that chapter clear with everyone alive is great.

Top Bottom