• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

eh kinda. I started doing that but then I got annoyed. The one I use just says to pinch around your belly. Suprailiac is the correct term. Look at the number I pinched, then track that.

Yeah that's what they say on the one I got, but they also have where you have someone help you and they measure your fat on your shoulder blades, triceps, and maybe one other place. I'd guess that measuring at your suprailiac would be pretty close, but if you're measuring in other places probably slightly more accurate but much less convenient.

#Team FastFoodBulk!

Speaking as a man that weighs 228-230lbs, pullups fucking suck. Still managed this today before heading out. I do take extended breaks between pullups though. Don't wanna get fried before hitting them rows later.

Pullups:
13 reps (+145 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)

No problem! And good to hear she's learnin'!

Damn Alien I didn't know you were still doing pullups. I have mad respect for anyone that starts getting above 200lbs and still incorporates pullups. Those are great numbers too.

PBY

Banned
Haven't checked how many pull ups I can do w/o weight. Right now I'm at 10 w 45 lbs.

Still can't muscle up tho. :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Damn Alien I didn't know you were still doing pullups. I have mad respect for anyone that starts getting above 200lbs and still incorporates pullups. Those are great numbers too.

Thanks, I'm pretty proud of the fact I can do over 10 in a set at my weight. The older guys here know I started out having to do them assisted when I first came to this thread like 3 OTs ago (2011 I think).
I doubt I'll ever take them out. They would be like removing squats for legs.

Haven't checked how many pull ups I can do w/o weight. Right now I'm at 10 w 45 lbs.

Still can't muscle up tho. :(

Bah, that shit's overrated. Leave it to super heros like Cooter.

Pete Rock

I went straight for the body fat test. They used a electronic analyzer. They punched in my numbers and it spit out 18.3%!!! There was another station that had a similar analyzer, I got tested there and, again, 18.3%!!!
They don't work worth a damn for people with muscle mass, Amazon reviews stated as much and I still made the mistake of buying one. Mine will tell me anywhere from 14-18%, same time of morning, same level of hydration, and it is just as clearly wrong as in your case. Ignore that shit and continue to be awesome.

Ekdrm2d1

#Team FastFoodBulk!

Speaking as a man that weighs 228-230lbs, pullups fucking suck. Still managed this today before heading out. I do take extended breaks between pullups though. Don't wanna get fried before hitting them rows later.

Pullups:
13 reps (+145 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)
14 reps (+153 pts)

No problem! And good to hear she's learnin'!

lol

SeanR1221

Alien is definitely my inspiration to get my ass up and do pull-ups.

Every workout I've been incorporating pull-ups, chin-ups or dips. I can still only manage a max of 3 pull-ups but its better than the 2 I started at :)

In between sets I just throw them in.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The fact that you are doing 5x10+ is stupid impressive. Seriously impressive.

It's a bit misleading though, since like I said, I take extended breaks. I do them at home on my door bar and it's not uncommon to take 5-10 minutes inbetween sets while I dick around on the internet/watch T.V.

Alien is definitely my inspiration to get my ass up and do pull-ups.

Every workout I've been incorporating pull-ups, chin-ups or dips. I can still only manage a max of 3 pull-ups but its better than the 2 I started at :)

In between sets I just throw them in.

Get one of those door frame bars. That's what ultimately helped me.

SeanR1221

It's a bit misleading though, since like I said, I take extended breaks. I do them at home on my door bar and it's not uncommon to take 5-10 minutes inbetween sets while I dick around on the internet/watch T.V.

The ones that screw on or the ones that attach to the door?

Petrie

Banned

Can't wait till I can use mine again. Living at my girl's parents place for the time being and don't want to be damaging their doorframe or making the place uglier with my fitness stuff. Soon enough I'll be back to my own space and can kill it though.

andycapps

I thought I was the only one that struggled doing pullups at 215. Some of you do seem to be mere mortals, such as I. I did 2 on Tuesday, that was the first time in years that I could do one.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lifting overall has seriously improved my posture, both in walking, and sitting on the computer typing this out. I used to lean over with the "computer posture" but it seems lifting has corrected that form overall.

While I may never be as SQUAT GOD Alienshogun or Szu, what motivated you to take control of your health and fitness GAF?

Straight up, I was listening to Jason from Icecreamfitness and he was answering questions (which feels like all he does anymore!) and looking at his 5x5 routine he suggests, and someone asked him why it's hard for people to do these things and he said basically that people are lazy, people make excuses, and they just simply are lying to themselves about their diet. He knew his shit, and went into a lot of nutrition talk, and for me, it snowballed from there and I started to give a fuck. That was when I was 6'7" 330 lbs. Now I'm in the neighborhood of 260-270 and I could keep losing but I'm antsy to put on some muscle, I feel so, SO very weak.

harSon

Banned

Yup, I bought one and was doing pullups damn near every time I laid eyes on it. I went from being able to do 1-2, to being able to a decent amount effortlessly.

Noema

#Team FastFoodBulk!

bulking.png

Chinups are one of the few things I don't suck at. I can do 15 @225lb BW.

Imm0rt4l

My door frame pull up bar has treated me well. Today was my back/bi day and I'm still able crank 30 out. I'd do pull ups more often, but my golfers elbow hasn't healed fully yet.

Kyaw

With all these pull up talks, I've gotta chime in.

I've been getting weird sorta sharp pains around the elbow area when doing pull ups and other pulling exercises.

Whyyyy?

In other news, 3 plates deadlifts the other day for 5. That's my deadlift goal (before cutting) done.
1 plate OHP and 80kg Bench to go.

I dunno what it is a good goal for squats. I'm doing 2 plates ATG back squats tomorrow, should be no problem. Just gonna keep milking them gains until I get my upper body lifts up.

Got microplates too! 6x0.5kg for £14. Not olympic sized ones but they will do with some shoe lace or something.

Imm0rt4l

With all these pull up talks, I've gotta chime in.

I've been getting weird sorta sharp pains around the elbow area when doing pull ups and other pulling exercises.

Whyyyy?

In other news, 3 plates deadlifts the other day for 5. That's my deadlift goal (before cutting) done.
1 plate OHP and 80kg Bench to go.

I dunno what it is a good goal for squats. I'm doing 2 plates ATG back squats tomorrow, should be no problem. Just gonna keep milking them gains until I get my upper body lifts up.

Got microplates too! 6x0.5kg for £14. Not olympic sized ones but they will do with some shoe lace or something.

Tendonitis

I have the same problem right now, more specifically golfers elbow. Because of this I don't do pull ups often and I'm not doing heavy rows. Deadlifts aren't problematic though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tendonitis

I have the same problem right, more specifically golfers elbow. Because of this I don't do pull ups often and I'm not doing heavy rows. Deadlifts aren't problematic though.

I've said this to like 4 different people now. Go get a DT massage and tell them about it. They will crush the shit out of your forearms and that shit will go away.

How do people feel about yoga in general? To be honest, these are some of the toughest exercises that I've done, but honestly feel really good afterwards. I just feel they add to and strengthen my core even more especially for recovery.

Kyaw

About 60 for an hour. If you go for just 30 minutes to get that and maybe a bit of your back worked on even less.

I'd recommend at least an hour though. Once you get one, you will wonder why you never got one before.

I'll have a look. This is the second time I've got the pain in the same area.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How do people feel about yoga in general? To be honest, these are some of the toughest exercises that I've done, but honestly feel really good afterwards. I just feel they add to and strengthen my core even more especially for recovery.

Helps me with mobility, but didn't do me any strength favors. Of course, mobility is helpful.

Szu

I had a little experience with it and I liked it. Quite challenging at first, especially when I'm about twice the size of everyone else in the room. It's great for core work and balance.

Imm0rt4l

I'd play Dance Dance Revolution for my "hiit" style cardio and do sets of pullups and pushups alternating every 2-3 songs. Great stuff. Need to get new pads.
I used to play ddr for cardio as a kid, guilty pleasure. Some of those songs on heavy are no joke.

mr stroke

And it won't mess the door up?

I could try one on the inside of my storage room

if you don't mind spending $130 get one of these Stud Pull Up bars from Amazon

Mounted one in my garage and its worlds better than the door bar I used to have. Rock solid and high enough to do Pull Ups, Muscle Ups, and Toes/Knees to Bar.

sphinx

the piano man
Pull-ups is something that I always thought I managed to pull off due to being small and light. My friends that are a little bit taller and definitely heavier can't do pull-ups without knee pad, not one rep.

It's really odd because they aren't huge, they just can't.

One friend says, " yeah but I have bigger legs so my weight is down there and my arms have to work more , that's why"... but I counterargument and say " yeah, but my arms are smaller than yours, how am I in any advantage?" he keeps insisting to the point where I am not sure who is right and who's wrong.

if I am 5'4/148 and he is 5'7/167 isn't more or less the same physical situation? regardless of where the weight is?

Imm0rt4l

Pull-ups is something that I always thought I managed to pull off due to being small and light. My friends that are a little bit taller and definitely heavier can't pull-up without knee pad, not one rep.

It's really odd because they aren't huge, they just can't.

One friend says, " yeah but I have bigger legs so my weight is down there and my arms have to work more , that's why"... but I counterargument and say " yeah, but my arms are smaller than yours, how am I in any advantage?" he keeps insisting to the point where I am not sure who is right and who's wrong.

if I am 5'4/148 and he is 5'7/167 isn't more or less the same physical situation? regardless of where the weight is?
Given those stats, he's compensating with excuses. Sure being heavier will make it harder to do pull ups but it's all relative. The height and weight disparity is really negligible and your boy needs to man up.

velociraptor

if you don't mind spending $130 get one of these Stud Pull Up bars from Amazon

Mounted one in my garage and its worlds better than the door bar I used to have. Rock solid and high enough to do Pull Ups, Muscle Ups, and Toes/Knees to Bar.

Do you think it's safe to put that in the basement (ceiling joists)?

After that big 4 egg omelet for lunch, I am still really full and don't feel like eating anything. Curious for those of you on a cut and you feel full like this, do you still try to eat something later? I know that I will get more hungry later on but really it will prolly just be something small. Do you try to eat more to meet your macros or just be like fuck it, not eating all that for today, gonna be content with what I had.

Cagey

Banned
I'd play Dance Dance Revolution for my "hiit" style cardio and do sets of pullups and pushups alternating every 2-3 songs. Great stuff. Need to get new pads.

I used to play ddr for cardio as a kid, guilty pleasure. Some of those songs on heavy are no joke.

Same here. I do miss doing that. Those 9-10 foot songs on heavy were the equivalent of 3 minute sprints to cheesy techno music.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
After that big 4 egg omelet for lunch, I am still really full and don't feel like eating anything. Curious for those of you on a cut and you feel full like this, do you still try to eat something later? I know that I will get more hungry later on but really it will prolly just me something small. You try to eat more to meet your macros or just be like fuck it, not eating all that for today, gonna be content with what I had.

I do not eat more unless I feel like I need to.

Imm0rt4l

After that big 4 egg omelet for lunch, I am still really full and don't feel like eating anything. Curious for those of you on a cut and you feel full like this, do you still try to eat something later? I know that I will get more hungry later on but really it will prolly just be something small. Do you try to eat more to meet your macros or just be like fuck it, not eating all that for today, gonna be content with what I had.

I'm rarely ever full, and even then it's not for very long unfortunately. That said, I just go off of what my macros allow me, I try and eat as much as I can while cutting for the sake of my metabolism. But if I were full, I probably wouldn't feel all that inclined to eat again, I might go for something that's good for me and not really all that satiating.

Cagey

Banned

Macros within reason. If I ate something and feel full for the full day, I'll ignore getting to the total cals I wanted but make sure I get a protein shake in so that I'm getting enough brotein, even if I fall short of the calorie goal.

It's a rare feeling, but it does happen, and forcefeeding myself that one day when I'm trying to maintain a deficit just seems foolish.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Macros within reason. If I ate something and feel full for the full day, I'll ignore getting to the total cals I wanted but make sure I get a protein shake in so that I'm getting enough brotein, even if I fall short of the calorie goal.

It's a rare feeling, but it does happen, and forcefeeding myself that one day when I'm trying to maintain a deficit just seems foolish.

Here's the thing, yeah - it rarely lasts. I may feel full still at 5pm, but 6pm hits and it's full blown ravenous.

mr stroke

Do you think it's safe to put that in the basement (ceiling joists)?

Should be fine. Mine is mounted into the ceiling studs with four screws. The mount is super solid. I have done kipping/swinging pull ups and weighted pull ups with zero problems

It looks like there are joists ones for half that price. I'm looking at this one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030A...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Edit- people say installation is tough on this.

and yes it did take two people to install it, its pretty heavy so you need someone to hold the bar while screwing it in. Otherwise its easy, took maybe 20 mins

Eggs always breakdown really really slowly so you are going to be more full over a longer period of time especially if your having them with high carbs.

After a thorough judging process I declare QUESTS PBJ the best of the group with Cookie Dough right behind. Man these things are good its so hard to eat only one.

jdavid459

I've been trying to improve my diet recently. Just started using myfitnesspal to track calories....looks like I ate around 4k calories yesterday....and I didn't really have any crazy meals. I have a feeling my diet/nutrition is really off. I am constantly hungry, regardless of how many "long filling" foods I eat and crave junk food. I'm not fat but my diet really limits my progress in getting fit and jacked. I'm 6 ft, 194lbs not sure how many cals I should be getting. Does anyone have any books/sources they recommend about nutrition and dieting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom