• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

params7

Banned
First, some lady interrupted me to correct my squat form again. This is the third time this has happened since I've started going to the gym. It's always the same thing too. Leaning too forward. It's frustrating because I'm either STILL not doing it right or for some reason I keep attracting these people. I was trying to do low bar squat, by the way.

If random people are correcting you often you must really be doing something wrong and they just don't want to see a snap incident occur live in front of them. Leaning forward is never good. Lower the weights if you have to so you can get the form right first, but make sure you shove your butt way back out and keep it there for the entire lift while keeping your back protected/locked angle with the torso.

Look at rippetoe videos on youtube which also helps. Squats can be a tough exercise to learn on your own trust me..I found out i was fucking them up 3 months into SS.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
So 29 days into my diet now (I will call it a cut when I'm actually able to work out) and I'm down 15.6lbs.

I feel pretty awesome about that. For anyone that cares to know (that know doesn't already) I'm about three months post surgery to repair an Achilles' tendon rupture. I'm not doing any cardio yet and have only been able to do small workouts at home still. My back was a mess before this injury and its been a struggle pain management wise becoming accustomed to being more active. But I'm coaching two sports my daughter is involved in and just doing more each day to increase activity.
Buying an exercise bike for home real quick and then I can start sweating to the oldies to speed things up a bit.

Blackflag you look like you pick heavy things up and put them down again.
Good work man.

Noema

If random people are correcting you often you must really be doing something wrong and they just don't want to see a snap incident occur live in front of them. Leaning forward is never good. Lower the weights if you have to so you can get the form right first, but make sure you shove your butt way back out and keep it there for the entire lift while keeping your back protected/locked angle with the torso.

Look at rippetoe videos on youtube which also helps. Squats can be a tough exercise to learn on your own trust me..I found out i was fucking them up 3 months into SS.

Leaning forward is pretty much unavoidable when doing low bar squats, specially with for people with long femurs.

Noema

I hate to be that guy, but if anyone wants to take a look at my squat form and give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.

Those reps look pretty good Mully. It's kind of hard to tell with that angle, though.

You need to get a non-tapered belt though ;)

params7

Banned
Leaning forward is pretty much unavoidable when doing low bar squats, specially with for people with long femurs.

Yeah. remember that part from the book. I guess as long as the weight stays over the midfoot all the time, some leaning is okay (also as long as the back is still protected).

_Isaac

They've all had good intentions, so no big deal. Getting the form right is quite a challenge. I think I was leaning forward, because I was trying to emulate this:
500px-Squat_Bar_Placement.jpg

Maybe I was going too far or my back was rounding, but I think I've been pretty good lately with doing that and keeping the bar over the midfoot. Still sometimes it's hard to have that kinesthetic sense. In regards to lowering the weights, I just had the bar. I always do a set with just the bar. I guess I can go lower than that somehow. She recommended dumbbells or using a ball.

agrajag

Banned
They've all had good intentions, so no big deal. Getting the form right is quite a challenge. I think I was leaning forward, because I was trying to emulate this:
500px-Squat_Bar_Placement.jpg

Maybe I was going too far or my back was rounding, but I think I've been pretty good lately with doing that and keeping the bar over the midfoot. Still sometimes it's hard to have that kinesthetic sense. In regards to lowering the weights, I just had the bar. I always do a set with just the bar. I guess I can go lower than that somehow. She recommended dumbbells or using a ball.

fuck that, don't listen to her

Noema

Next time someone approaches to comment your squat just keep on squatting while yelling "hip draahve!!!" in a thick Texan accent while engaging in awkward eye contact with the other person.

And post another form check video.

agrajag

Banned
Next time someone approaches to comment your squat just keep on squatting while yelling "hip draahve!!!" in a thick Texan accent while engaging in awkward eye contact with the other person.

for bonus points: bring a stuffed monkey and angerly kick it across the gym

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I can't stand people giving me unsolicited advice. Usually it involves my range of motion.

"hey bro, you don't want to go that deep in your squats. It disengages your quads."

"you really shouldn't touch the bar to your chest when you bench. You will injure your shoulder."

Leave me alone and go back to doing your quarter rep bench!!

Noema

I can't stand people giving me unsolicited advice. Usually it involves my range of motion.

"hey bro, you don't want to go that deep in your squats. It disengages your quads."

"you really shouldn't touch the bar to your chest when you bench. You will injure your shoulder."

Leave me alone and go back to doing your quarter rep bench!!

Jesus. Do people actually believe that? Is that how they justify their half-ROM mediocrity?

"It disengages your quads"?!?!?

tumblr_inline_mgny4ynxVO1r29lcx.gif

rando14

Eh, I don't go all the way down to my chest on the bench (though I get close), it puts a lot of unwanted pressure on my delts

ezrarh

Jesus. Do people actually believe that? Is that how they justify their half-ROM mediocrity?

Didn't you know, going low on your squats will mess up your knees.

edit: fit gaf is too huge for me, I need dat bulk to continue posting in here

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

As others have mentioned, the fact that this woman recommended squatting on a ball means you can safely disregard any future advice she chooses to give. That said, unless your setup is such that your unnaturally trying to maintain a perfectly vertical back you shouldn't actively lean forward at the torso. Keep tight, with your chest up and pushing back against the bar. If you actively lean forwards you'll collapse in on yourself in the hole and most likely good-morning the weight on the way up. Your torso lean should be an automatic response determined by your bar position, although in actuality it's determined by hip position which is itself determined by bar position.

Try some unweighted squats with your hands free, maintaining tightness and form as if you were using a bar. Do one set sitting far back as you would with a low bar squat, and one set breaking at the knees first or equal first and slinging lower and more between your legs as you would with a high bar squat. The difference between torso angles should closely mimic those in the picture without any conscious effort on your part.

Davidion

Eh, I don't go all the way down to my chest on the bench (though I get close), it puts a lot of unwanted pressure on my delts

Yup. My chest isn't big and my back doesn't leave the bench. I started to shoulder pains in my rotator cuffs when I did benches that way for a couple of months. No bueno.

I settle for 10-15% below parallel.

agrajag

Banned
Usually I do cuz I hate waiting for gym equipment. Told work I had a doctors apt. And went at 1 though...
On my off days I go anywhere from 10am to 4pm, gym is full of bros that don't use the squat rack.. but I work early in the morning until night, so on work days I wait until the gym is empty

blackflag

On my off days I go anywhere from 10am to 4pm, gym is full of bros that don't use the squat rack.. but I work early in the morning until night, so on work days I wait until the gym is empty

Yeah on the weekend it's a ghost town. I make sure to workout sat. And sun.

Cooter

I don't workout late any more but I did frequently in my early twenties. I love it! Feels like my private gym!

abuC

Finally, my traps are starting to grow, I can see them through my hoody & shirts now when I look at my back. I probably did 400-500 shrugs total last week.

abuC

Thanks, my traps were really lagging behind everything else, so I have to hit them really hard to get them to grow.

I do 5x20 front facing, and 5x20 behind the back bb shrugs, then 5x15 DB shrugs twice a week.

Cooter

I call my friend the trapmaster because he has the traps that go half way to his ears. Mine are more prominent on my backside.

Pavaloo

I think I'm burning out on SS, definitely want to start 5/3/1 soon. Is it a bad idea to be doing 5/3/1 on a cut? I just always see it coupled with bulking when I hear about it.

blackflag

My traps aren't great. I heard you'll either have big traps it big delta but not both. I doubt that's true but I do have very big delts.

People were looking at me like wtf when I was shoulder pressing 80s for 10 reps today lol. I wish some of my other parts would catch up. Delts seem to grow like weeds.

Mully

Those reps look pretty good Mully. It's kind of hard to tell with that angle, though.

You need to get a non-tapered belt though ;)

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get a better angle next time.

Working on it. I grabbed one off of Amazon last year since it was cheap. I've learned the benefits of having a non-tapered one soon after, but never got around to buying one. Thanks for reminding me!

abuC

I call my friend the trapmaster because he has the traps that go half way to his ears. Mine are more prominent on my backside.

LOL, I call those Chimpanzee traps, when it looks like they're just connected near someones jawline.

Was never interested in my traps growing.

They complete the look, I'll never have Tom Hardy traps cause my neck is too short for that, but seeing them through my shirt is mission accomplished.

Cooter

LOL, I call those Chimpanzee traps, when it looks like they're just connected near someones jawline.

They complete the look, I'll never have Tom Hardy traps cause my neck is too short for that, but seeing them through my shirt is mission accomplished.

Haha! I only stared getting mine to push up after starting heavy OHP.

agrajag

Banned
Holy fuck! Worked legs tonight and decided to do 5 minutes on the elliptical afterwards and my inner quads cramped up so bad! Anyone else experience something similar?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Blackflag has attained hoss-level status, someday we can throw cars around together.

Decided to hit the gym early on a saturday morning. hoooooly shit nobody was there period. PERIOD. Had a great workout. I almost always go in evenings right after work. This was...good things.

The Chef

Blackflag has attained hoss-level status, someday we can throw cars around together.

Decided to hit the gym early on a saturday morning. hoooooly shit nobody was there period. PERIOD. Had a great workout. I almost always go in evenings right after work. This was...good things.

Oh man I cant stand evening workouts, gym is always so insane. 5 people standing around bench chatting about work or some other crap, not doing a damn thing.
I'd love to workout in the morning but just dont have the time usually. Gym is usually empty from 1-3pm for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man I cant stand evening workouts, gym is always so insane. 5 people standing around bench chatting about work or some other crap, not doing a damn thing.
I'd love to workout in the morning but just dont have the time usually. Gym is usually empty from 1-3pm for me.

I don't have the time for morning sadly, I gotta get my sleep in! I know what I'll be doing every weekend from now on though...

blackflag

Thanks man. Yeah my golds is dead Friday sat and sun it's great. I usually go to my awesome work gym during the rest of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom