• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Internets

I dread this summer now that I'm running. It's either in the 80's at 6AM with horrible humidity or in the 90's even after the sun has gone down.

I feel your pain, especially now that I'm going to be running every morning, and probably more.

There's not much you can do about it except drink some water before you run, and prepare some way to immediately cool off afterwards. I think it also feels better as you sweat, as sweating itself cools your body down. Just make sure you're hydrated.

And as for bench pressing, aren't you SUPPOSED to (very lightly and briefly, and not let it rest/bounce) touch your chest? Someone was giving you wrong advice, but it's nice that he tried.

Cudder

Ended a 20 hour fast with a whole grain, veggie pizza. Yum.

I feel like a skinny weakling not having worked out the last few days.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's the humidity that makes it feel like it's in the 90's.

21661839.jpg

If deployed soldiers can hump 60+ lbs of body armor around in 120+ degree weather for hours on end you can run a mile or two in 80 degree weather that feels like 90 degrees.

Shit ain't gonna kill you if you're smart about it.

abuC

The Hodge Twins are really weak relative to all the advice they give people, I never really watched their videos but saw their shoulder workout and was just like "really".

SaskBoy

So I am planning on starting Greyskull LP but have questions about the neck harness.

Basically:
What is it? I'm 90% sure my gym doesn't have one, so what should I do instead?

dejay

Banned
Just went to gym...doing the beginer routine posted in the OP. Did 120lb squat and 75lb overhead press 3x5. Is this as weak as it sounds? Pullups were rough too, only got 3-4 each time for 3 sets.

It doesn't matter if it's weak or not because hopefully this is as weak as you're going to be for a very long time.

Noema

So I am planning on starting Greyskull LP but have questions about the neck harness.

Basically:
What is it? I'm 90% sure my gym doesn't have one, so what should I do instead?

top_necklift_ezr.jpg

Basically the idea is to get a huge neck.

Here's how to make your own:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/05/26/diy-neck-harness/

I don't think it's that big of a deal if you don't use it. You'll still do Squats, Deadlfts and presses which are the meat and potatoes of any strength program. The neck harness is a bonus that caters to the Greyskull mentality of "don't get raped while in prison".

damn how did you get a callus on the outside of your index finger

This question pertaining to the location of a callus is something only a weightlifter on gaf would realize was odd as hell. Like a dude in a Scuba outfit found dead in the desert.

That is from a shovel. Ha

blackflag

Always wondered why this is less preferable to Egg, Whey or any other type of incomplete protein. Is there something I could read to educate myself?

"Soy contains phytoestrogens known as isoflavones, which are plant-based compounds that have a similar function in the body as estrogen, says the University of Maryland Medical Center. Soy isoflavones appear to influence estrogen receptors and thus the effects of estrogen in your body." University of Maryland Medical Center

Crazy example here. http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects#mobify-bubble

"We first published an article about how soy protein is estrogenic, can lower Testosterone counts, and can even kill testicular cells in January of 2000. We then published new research on the matter in February of 2001. But you know something? The national media still won't touch the story. You can pick up the "Food" section of practically any local newspaper and see glowing reviews of the healthy attributes of soy protein, complete with yummy, Testosterone-lowering recipes."
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...erformance_nutrition/soy_is_still_bad_protein

No gloves for life. That a boy.
I feel like as long as you scrape your shins on the bar you know your doing deadlifts correctly.

I have no feeling on my shins anymore. I actually had this fleeting thought "Man I don't think I even grazed the hairs on my leg today" Looked down....

Niagara Falls

Dosia

"Soy contains phytoestrogens known as isoflavones, which are plant-based compounds that have a similar function in the body as estrogen, says the University of Maryland Medical Center. Soy isoflavones appear to influence estrogen receptors and thus the effects of estrogen in your body." University of Maryland Medical Center

Crazy example here. http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects#mobify-bubble

"We first published an article about how soy protein is estrogenic, can lower Testosterone counts, and can even kill testicular cells in January of 2000. We then published new research on the matter in February of 2001. But you know something? The national media still won't touch the story. You can pick up the "Food" section of practically any local newspaper and see glowing reviews of the healthy attributes of soy protein, complete with yummy, Testosterone-lowering recipes."
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...erformance_nutrition/soy_is_still_bad_protein

I cancelled but that really sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

blackflag

I cancelled but that really sounds like a bunch of bullshit.

It's definitely not bullshit that they contain phytoestrogens. There have been some studies that show no negative effects in men and some that have shown negative effects. The studies showing no negatives used smaller amounts from everything I can see.

So since there's no question that whey doesn't have any of these issues, why would I fuck with soy?

From Wikipedia:
"Phytoestrogens are plant-derived xenoestrogens functioning as the primary female sex hormone (see estrogen) not generated within the endocrine system but consumed by eating phytoestrogenic plants. Also called "dietary estrogens", they are a diverse group of naturally occurring nonsteroidal plant compounds that, because of their structural similarity with estradiol (17-β-estradiol), have the ability to cause estrogenic or/and antiestrogenic effects.[1]"

sphinx

the piano man
today was the first time ever I didn't use gloves in a gym session, at all. OHP with bare hands, dumbbell shoulder press too, felt good. I'll see how long I can go without using them.

but I think I'll keep them for pullups, the fucking rubber handles is what hurts the skin bad, not the metal.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Deadlift day?

You know nothing of callus tearing! (about 2:30)

Any boxer/fighter here have thoughts about squats?

Some say weighted squats aren't necessary and may slow your movements (which is important for a fighter). Therefore, body-weight squats (or jump squats) are enough, especially if you don't want to put on weight and want to maintain speed.

I specialize more on explosive speed more than I do destructive power, if that helps. Not that I am not strong of course.

I suggest focussing your training more on developing devastating speed and explosive power :p. In all seriousness though, if you are indeed strong (ie at least intermediate to advanced on most of these) then you would probably get more bang for buck training power (rate of force development) over strength. Jump squats and plyo box jumps are good but high impact so should be used sparingly. Power cleans and snatches or even the full versions of the lifts would be best if you have access to the facilities and coaching required to do them properly (or already know how). This forum has some good resources for combat sports S+C, the stickies are especially worth a read.

Dosia

It's definitely not bullshit that they contain phytoestrogens. There have been some studies that show no negative effects in men and some that have shown negative effects. The studies showing no negatives used smaller amounts from everything I can see.

So since there's no question that whey doesn't have any of these issues, why would I fuck with soy?

From Wikipedia:
"Phytoestrogens are plant-derived xenoestrogens functioning as the primary female sex hormone (see estrogen) not generated within the endocrine system but consumed by eating phytoestrogenic plants. Also called "dietary estrogens", they are a diverse group of naturally occurring nonsteroidal plant compounds that, because of their structural similarity with estradiol (17-β-estradiol), have the ability to cause estrogenic or/and antiestrogenic effects.[1]"

I agree with preferring whey, which is why I cancelled. I was more calling those articles bullshit with what came off as extreme takes.

I still have yet to try those quest bars, but my friend recently bought 12 and it was laughable how hard they were. Are they all like that, or did he get a bad batch?

blackflag

today was the first time ever I didn't use gloves in a gym session, at all. OHP with bare hands, dumbbell shoulder press too, felt good. I'll see how long I can go without using them.

but I think I'll keep them for pullups, the fucking rubber handles is what hurts the skin bad, not the metal.

Yeah I use straps for pull-ups. I can double overhand deadlift 405 for a few reps and I know my grip strength is fine but the bars at my gym hurt. There's a thick one with rubber on it that is fine though.

blackflag

I agree with preferring whey, which is why I cancelled. I was more calling those articles bullshit with what came off as extreme takes.

I still have yet to try those quest bars, but my friend recently bought 12 and it was laughable how hard they were. Are they all like that, or did he get a bad batch?

Did he get chocolate brownie? That one is hard. You gotta microwave it. They aren't all hard. Chocolate chip cookie dough, peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter supreme, and apple pie are the best and none of those should be hard.

Dosia

Did he get chocolate brownie? That one is hard. You gotta microwave it. They aren't all hard. Chocolate chip cookie dough, peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter supreme, and apple pie are the best and none of those should be hard.

Apple Pie, and they were as solid as a rock.

Sallokin

Thanks for the links

Caramello

It's not weak at all. It's pretty much par for the course of a novice.

I couldn't even press the empty bar when I started out; I could barely squat 95lb.

Start by adding 10lb to your lower body lifts per session and 5lb to upper body lifts per session. After that gets hard, switch to 5lb increments for lower body and 2.5lb for upper body.

It's very important that you keep adding weight every session. That's the crux of the program.

I would add that you need to add weight while maintaining form. If you cannot maintain correct form then do not add any more weight until you can.

_Isaac

I hope that barbell used for deadlifts is thoroughly cleaned afterwards. Otherwise it might be a bad situation for the next guy that scrapes his shins on it.

Cudder

The Hodge Twins are really weak relative to all the advice they give people, I never really watched their videos but saw their shoulder workout and was just like "really".

weak? their lifts seem pretty solid for the most part. and they actually have good form on damn near every exercise they do, unlike most other Youtubers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom