• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
I am getting frustrated with squatting form :( due to tight Achilles heels I have troubles getting down to horizontal without falling back due to my COM being off. I have exercises to work on flexibility but it' super frustrating. :(

I couldn't find a better video to gif but try holding a bar like this guy and going down but with the rules of the squat (feet/toes more to the inside, this guy is a ballet dancer doing "first position" or whatever)

let go the bar once you are down there and grab again when you feel like falling and so on, until you no longer need the bar.

practicesquat_zps4072cd4a.gif

and don't do that weird kick either, lol

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Oh my god, did some HIIT for ten minutes two days ago (sprint across football field, jog back, and repeat) and my hamstrings are still sore as fuck. Tried doing squats yesterday and failed miserably. LOL

So yeah, sprinting = something you should try, because it will kick your ass.

Phandy

Oh my god, did some HIIT for ten minutes two days ago (sprint across football field, jog back, and repeat) and my hamstrings are still sore as fuck. Tried doing squats yesterday and failed miserably. LOL

A few days ago I played my first football (soccer) match on a full size pitch, and I'm used to a 5-a-side pitch. It absolutely killed me. I only played 45 minutes, but the stop start nature of it I was not ready for. Constant jogging for 45 minutes just isn't the same.

Loved it though, made me wanna do it again. Might start doing some hill sprints.

theytookourjobz

I'm in the last session this afternoon so I don't lift for another hour. Watching these high school kids who weigh 50lbs less than me crush weights that I haven't even sniffed is humbling. The dude who weighed in right before me put down 125kg as his opening snatch. Jesus.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

There is nothing better. I'm talking full out, 100% effort! When someone tells me they are doing wind sprints on a treadmill I roll my eyes in the inside. Not even close!

Another Saturday going through the motions. Weighted pull ups with 70 for 7 and bent over BB rows with 225 for five. I feel like I'm in a boring place. I need to set some new goals. I'll put some thought into it this weekend.

moocow

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. Looking forward to get our home gym setup. We will try to get a squat rack but might have to settle for a bench. That would be ok as well right?

Something like this? Already got a multi position pull-up bar.

http://www.xxl.no/Root/Trening-&-He...ym-og-pressbenker/160-bench/p/1044077_1_Style

It depends on how much that thing can hold/ how sturdy it is. I had one similar to that and I would not trust it with anywhere near the amount that I bench nowadays.

Also at some point you will probably need a rack because you will be squatting significantly more than you can overhead press.

I am getting frustrated with squatting form :( due to tight Achilles heels I have troubles getting down to horizontal without falling back due to my COM being off. I have exercises to work on flexibility but it' super frustrating. :(

I've been putting little 5lb plates under my heels. REALLY helps you get lower without falling back. After a couple of weeks I should be able to wean myself off of them.

bjb

Banned
I couldn't find a better video to gif but try holding a bar like this guy and going down but with the rules of the squat (feet/toes more to the inside, this guy is a ballet dancer doing "first position" or whatever)

let go the bar once you are down there and grab again when you feel like falling and so on, until you no longer need the bar.

practicesquat_zps4072cd4a.gif

and don't do that weird kick either, lol

Guy kinda looks like EvilLore from the side. Hidden Thai techniques revealed?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I really want to get a day pass to Planet fitness, go in there and grunt and throw weights and scream " Lightweight Yeahhhhhhhh budddyyyyyyyyyyyy" and see how long it takes them to tell me to leave.

I've always wanted to do that.

Walk in with a water cooler jug and a tub of Whey, mix that shit in the gym. Start doing some BB rows and slamming some iron on their shiny floor. Move on to squats and dump the weights on my last set. Knock my chalk container over while doing Dls like my name is Magnusson. Employees won't say shit I'll have my shirt and pants off the entire time, straight up fucking bicycle shorts ripping as my quads explode.

Tash

I've been putting little 5lb plates under my heels. REALLY helps you get lower without falling back. After a couple of weeks I should be able to wean myself off of them.

Yep, been doing that before but someone said it is not the best idea? Can't remember why though..probably because you don't have your COM where it should be to fully hit all muscle groups?

I've always wanted to do that.

Walk in with a water cooler jug and a tub of Whey, mix that shit in the gym. Start doing some BB rows and slamming some iron on their shiny floor. Move on to squats and dump the weights on my last set. Knock my chalk container over while doing Dls like my name is Magnusson. Employees won't say shit I'll have my shirt and pants off the entire time, straight up fucking bicycle shorts ripping as my quads explode.

They'd hit the lunk alarm immediately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDecuG4wxk

Yep, been doing that before but someone said it is not the best idea? Can't remember why though..probably because you don't have your COM where it should be to fully hit all muscle groups?

NVM I misread. Rip says it's a bad idea. I need to quit doing it to and just work on going deeper incrementally.

Cooter

It's kinda sad with the "I hate weight training" and "Strong = conservative" threads it sucks to see what people think of you if you have a little size. In their opinion we are all stupid meatheads not capable of stringing two sentences together!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
What's FitGAFs opinion on taking painkillers like norcos or even percocets shortly after workouts, or the next morning for work? I'm starting to get dedicated, after a long hiatus, and especially after leg days I walk boatlegged at work, and I work construction.

Will painkillers affect my gains from the previous workout?

rando14

What's FitGAFs opinion on taking painkillers like norcos or even percocets shortly after workouts, or the next morning for work? I'm starting to get dedicated, after a long hiatus, and especially after leg days I walk boatlegged at work, and I work construction.

Will painkillers affect my gains from the previous workout?

Horrible, terrible, awful idea. If you lift even semi regularly I can't imagine it being possible to avoid eventual habituation.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So much weight-hate on GAF, what the hell is wrong with people?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Horrible, terrible, awful idea. If you lift even semi regularly I can't imagine it being possible to avoid eventual habituation.

I understand the habitual nature that it could lead too, but I also personally understand the responsibility of the habit and how it needs control.

I'm starting a workout regiment similar to my highschool and brief college workouts. I have pain in my left ankle due to an injury despite it being taped up. I'm doing cardio similiar to what Jon Beason NFL LB was doing post achilles injury combined with lifting at least 3 days a week. I'm feeling extreme pain but a norco or two takes it away. Does it take away in any potential gains?

Keep in mind my pain is mostly due to the fact I've been weak the last two years and being fit generally my whole life. As soon as I get back my proper physique and muscle most of the physical pain will go away.

mooooose

It's kinda sad with the "I hate weight training" and "Strong = conservative" threads it sucks to see what people think of you if you have a little size. In their opinion we are all stupid meatheads not capable of stringing two sentences together!
What is the strong = conservative thread? I don't see it.

Zozobra

Ack, this thread moves too quickly, but I guess that's good. Gonna try again since I didn't get a response before:

Hey guys,

I'm preparing to return to proper training in the next month or so and I think I'm gonna go with SS, but I had a few questions:

The main idea seems to be constant progression and maybe I missed where he talked about it in the book, but is the idea that you just keep going and adding weight until you run out of weights or something? I mean, at which point would you move on from SS to something like 5/3/1? Would you wait until stalling out consistently in SS and then change programs?

Also, using the squat as an example, it sounds as though for my body I'd probably want to be going up by 10 pound increments each workout. When I stall out on a weight, is it correct that I make sure I can complete all work sets at that weight first and then only go up by say 5 pound increments going forward?

Just want to make sure I'm approaching this properly right from the beginning.

In terms of nutrition, I was looking at those Quest bars everyone seems to love, but they seem to have a lot of carbs, don't they? I know they've got a ton of fiber, but I've got a friend who is pretty nutrition-savvy and he said that the net carb thing is a myth.

I just need to find something like a good bar that can serve as a desert of sorts, but I'm wary of high carbs if I'm going to be eating these things every day.

Cooter

So much weight-hate on GAF, what the hell is wrong with people?

It's hard work and most people don't like to work hard. It's easier to make excuses like,
"I don't want to look like a body builder" or "who wants to be sore all the time! No thanks." My personal favorite is, "my metabolism is too high. I can't gain muscle." There's a guy in the thread claiming that right now. haha!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully some people will want to check out the thread to get some direction. I find a lot of bad advice/bad facts keep a lot of people away, or have them basically false start and get turned off.

kylej

Banned
The hardest part is getting started because the gym is extremely intimidating to newbies. I remember being scared shitless my first week or so of exercising. Doesn't take too long to stop giving a shit.

ezrarh

Ack, this thread moves too quickly, but I guess that's good. Gonna try again since I didn't get a response before:

As a pure beginner, you keep adding weights every workout until you can't hit 3 sets of 5.

So for example your first week might look like this for squats:

95 lbs 3x5
105 3x5
115 3x5

The following week you would do

125 3x5
135 but this time you only hit 2 sets of 5, and the 3rd set you only get 3 reps. That could mean a few things - one you didn't rest long enough between sets or you just don't have it for the day, so you would then do 135 again for the next workout and try to hit 3 sets of 5.

If you accomplish that, then add 10 more lbs to your next workout. Eventually, you'll want to switch to adding just 5 lbs when it starts getting heavier. But the idea is if you can't hit your prescribed sets at a weight, you try it again for the next workout or two. If you can't get it after 3 workouts or so, you would have to do a reset.

rando14

I understand the habitual nature that it could lead too, but I also personally understand the responsibility of the habit and how it needs control.

I'm starting a workout regiment similar to my highschool and brief college workouts. I have pain in my left ankle due to an injury despite it being taped up. I'm doing cardio similiar to what Jon Beason NFL LB was doing post achilles injury combined with lifting at least 3 days a week. I'm feeling extreme pain but a norco or two takes it away. Does it take away in any potential gains?

Keep in mind my pain is mostly due to the fact I've been weak the last two years and being fit generally my whole life. As soon as I get back my proper physique and muscle most of the physical pain will go away.

I see. Still if you're discussing the use of narcotics such as norco I imagine you're already consulting with a physician who is giving you the prescriptions. I'd recommend following his/her advice on this then.

Zozobra

As a pure beginner, you keep adding weights every workout until you can't hit 3 sets of 5.

So for example your first week might look like this for squats:

95 lbs 3x5
105 3x5
115 3x5

The following week you would do

125 3x5
135 but this time you only hit 2 sets of 5, and the 3rd set you only get 3 reps. That could mean a few things - one you didn't rest long enough between sets or you just don't have it for the day, so you would then do 135 again for the next workout and try to hit 3 sets of 5.

If you accomplish that, then add 10 more lbs to your next workout. Eventually, you'll want to switch to adding just 5 lbs when it starts getting heavier. But the idea is if you can't hit your prescribed sets at a weight, you try it again for the next workout or two. If you can't get it after 3 workouts or so, you would have to do a reset.

Ahhh ok, this makes sense now, I overlooked the whole reset thing. Thanks much for the reply!

jdavid459

Def stay away.

Fuuuuuuu. literally all the best foods I can't eat. What can I eat that'll give me energy? I'm dying here coming off sprints this morning. Had turkey sausage egg + cheese at Dunkin this morning, big fruit cup for lunch, some rice cakes and fig newtons so far

PBY

Banned
Fuuuuuuu. literally all the best foods I can't eat. What can I eat that'll give me energy? I'm dying here coming off sprints this morning. Had turkey sausage egg + cheese at Dunkin this morning, big fruit cup for lunch, some rice cakes and fig newtons so far

Thats a pretty terrible diet for cutting tbh.

People go back and forth on the carbs issue, I've def found that limiting carbs as much as possible is the way to go, but if you're lifting/ working out hard some carbs aren't gonna kill you.

The sugar will definitely not help, you gotta cut that out.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Toss that fruit and definitely the fig newtons. Go beast mode, devour a chicken

twofold

Is whole wheat pasta bad for a cut? Carbs = get fat?

There's nothing wrong with carbs as long as you can control your appetite.

At the moment, on my cut, I'm eating 100g of carbs on rest days and around 300g of carbs on workout days, and I'm dropping weight at a very consistent 1lb/week.

Judging by your second post, you really need to clean up your diet, though. It's pretty poor at the moment.

Bro you're still kind of aimless with the diet. "Energy" you are referring to is likely the insulin spike you're used to from eating sugar and other carb loaded shit (big fruit cup). Cut the carbs low, your body will adjust. Those rice cakes and fig newtons are nutritional garbage and do absolutely nothing for you.

Skeyser

Oh, one more question for today. At 5'8" and 123lbs, how quickly should I notice weight gain from consuming 3,000 calories daily? A week or two?

Everyone has a different metabolism, so you probably won't get a definite answer.

Though it's safe to say that you won't notice a big difference after a week.

jdavid459

Thats a pretty terrible diet for cutting tbh.

People go back and forth on the carbs issue, I've def found that limiting carbs as much as possible is the way to go, but if you're lifting/ working out hard some carbs aren't gonna kill you.

The sugar will definitely not help, you gotta cut that out.

Toss that fruit and definitely the fig newtons. Go beast mode, devour a chicken

There's nothing wrong with carbs as long as you can control your appetite.

At the moment, on my cut, I'm eating 100g of carbs on rest days and around 300g of carbs on workout days, and I'm dropping weight at a very consistent 1lb/week.

Judging by your second post, you really need to clean up your diet, though. It's pretty poor at the moment.

I honestly didn't even think of that diet today as unclean...lol. Probably because I am coming from just eating whatever I want. Fruit is not good for cutting? Been trying to eat more fruit because I thought it was healthy...+ i'm dying for snacks now that I can't eat oreos/cookies/crackers/stuff like that. Basically just gotta eat lean chicken for ever?

PBY

Banned
I honestly didn't even think of that diet today as unclean...lol. Probably because I am coming from just eating whatever I want. Fruit is not good for cutting? Been trying to eat more fruit because I thought it was healthy...+ i'm dying for snacks now that I can't eat oreos/cookies/crackers/stuff like that. Basically just gotta eat lean chicken for ever?
Chocolate chip quest doe

You need to learn about what food is made of and how your body uses it. Macro nutrients. Carbs/fats/proteins. Fruit has fructose, a carb not too unlike sugar in your pantry. Your body will use it like it uses sugar. Folks that are cutting weight avoid sugar like the plague because your body will respond to sugar by storing fat through a bunch of complex processes that you don't necessarily need to know about. A lot of people have been harping on it, but cutting carbs is really the easiest to understand way of cutting fat off your body.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Alright brother let's talk about some myths and shit so we don't waste any of your time.

First up, treat your sugar addiction like what it actually is - an addiction. You're going to feel like shit coming off of it. I'd even say this should be your complete focus at the moment, because it's fucking HARD to do. Give it a few days. Your cravings will die. Then we can build a better diet.

Tash

The hardest part is getting started because the gym is extremely intimidating to newbies. I remember being scared shitless my first week or so of exercising. Doesn't take too long to stop giving a shit.

No kidding. I feel horribly self conscious and embarrassed still..

jdavid459

Bro you're still kind of aimless with the diet. "Energy" you are referring to is likely the insulin spike you're used to from eating sugar and other carb loaded shit (big fruit cup). Cut the carbs low, your body will adjust. Those rice cakes and fig newtons are nutritional garbage and do absolutely nothing for you.

Any resources on proper cutting diet? I should say that I prefer something more lenient than a "you can never eat this" type of diet because I know I wont stick to that. I guess I need something that outlines what foods are good to eat when cutting and what is not. So many people/resources tell you something is good when others say its bad. All food = unhealthy tbh.

EDIT* sorry didn't see that you already replied

PBY

Banned
Any resources on proper cutting diet? I should say that I prefer something more lenient than a "you can never eat this" type of diet because I know I wont stick to that. I guess I need something that outlines what foods are good to eat when cutting and what is not. So many people/resources tell you something is good when others say its bad. All food = unhealthy tbh.
My advice is, and it was echoed above, learn about WHY you need to eat this/not that. Once you learn that ur good. Just a list of dos and donts isn't gonna work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom