• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I just can't seem find a reason for doing all your sets in a short period of time (typical gym workout) other than getting in and out of the gym as soon as possible. If working out at home, is there a good reason not to spread out all your set throughout the day?

PKrockin

I just can't seem find a reason for doing all your sets in a short period of time (typical gym workout) other than getting in and out of the gym as soon as possible. If working out at home, is there a good reason not to spread out all your set throughout the day?

I think you're supposed to warm up before your set.

Darren870

I honestly didn't even think of that diet today as unclean...lol. Probably because I am coming from just eating whatever I want. Fruit is not good for cutting? Been trying to eat more fruit because I thought it was healthy...+ i'm dying for snacks now that I can't eat oreos/cookies/crackers/stuff like that. Basically just gotta eat lean chicken for ever?

It sounds more like you are just trying to lose weight... Not cut

Groof

Hey guys, don't know if I'm doing this right but I figured I'd look for some advice to help me with my workout routine and diet. I have a very low budget when it comes to anything, really, so I get pretty indecisive about what kind of things to eat. Any and all help is appreciated!

Height: 171cm/5'7"
Weight: 69kg/152lbs
Goal: Fat burn, mainly. Haven't had the means to calculate my BMI, but if you guys think this is very important I'll see if I can find a way.
Current Training Schedule: Usually four times a week, every exercise I try to do 3 sets at 8-12 reps. Once I hit 12 reps with ease I up the weights. Every session is started with a 5 minute jog/run on the treadmill. Takes around 1h20m.
Monday/Thursday
Barbell bench
Barbell bench (inclined)
Overhead tricep extension (dumbbell)
Reverse fly (dumbbell)
Shoulder Shrug (dumbbell)
Tricep pushdown (cable machine)
Lateral raise (dumbbell)
Pec fly (machine)
Cable crunch

Tuesday/Friday
Deadlift
Squat (barbell)
Hammer curl (dumbbell)
Lateral pulldown (cable machine)
Leg press (machine)
Calf raise (barbell)
Cable curl
Cable crunch

Current Training Equipment Available: Local gym.
Comments: I usually gym early in the morning before school, no breakfast. Breakfast is eating at the school cafeteria (usually some sandwich and a fruit). I also drink a protein shake after every workout. I've been doing this routine for two weeks now, but I've been hitting the gym for about a month. Any tips at help is highly appreciated, I'm still a newbie at this!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, don't know if I'm doing this right but I figured I'd look for some advice to help me with my workout routine and diet. I have a very low budget when it comes to anything, really, so I get pretty indecisive about what kind of things to eat. Any and all help is appreciated!

snip

You're probably going to get a lot of people telling you to do Starting Strength or a similar program. As a beginner, upping the weights once you reach 3x12 is travelling in the slow lane. If you haven't got a base of strength you would make progress much faster doing only the compound lifts three times a week and adding weight every time you train. Your current routine has a lot of volume and isolation like a bodybuilding routine, but if you've only been lifting for a few months it's not really ideal.

That said, if you want to stick with what you've got currently: it's not too bad a routine, though as a beginner with that sort of volume I would recommend separating it out, something like:
Monday - Squat + accessory
Tuesday - Bench + accessory
Thursday - Deadlift + accessory
Friday - Overhead Press + Accessory
I would also strongly recommend some rows or the like. Change the big lifts (squat, bench, row, overhead press) to 3x5 (deadlifts lower volume like 1x5 or 3x3), and progress them faster.

SeanR1221

Went to a big concert last night in Philly (lots of acts but I mostly went for Alice in Chains and Soundgarden.)

Drank countless beers, ate cheesesteaks, fries, chips, etc.

Surprisingly feel ok today.

Petrie

Banned

This routine looks very haphazard, and like a recipe for fuckarounditis. You're a beginner right? You don't need to be doing all that, and would be better served with one of the beginner routines from the OP.

Seriously. Reread the OP. Then read it again, pick up Starting Strength, and get results.

Groof

You're probably going to get a lot of people telling you to do Starting Strength or a similar program. As a beginner, upping the weights once you reach 3x12 is travelling in the slow lane. If you haven't got a base of strength you would make progress much faster doing only the compound lifts three times a week and adding weight every time you train. Your current routine has a lot of volume and isolation like a bodybuilding routine, but if you've only been lifting for a few months it's not really ideal.

That said, if you want to stick with what you've got currently: it's not too bad a routine, though as a beginner with that sort of volume I would recommend separating it out, something like:
Monday - Squat + accessory
Tuesday - Bench + accessory
Thursday - Deadlift + accessory
Friday - Overhead Press + Accessory
I would also strongly recommend some rows or the like. Change the big lifts (squat, bench, row, overhead press) to 3x5 (deadlifts lower volume like 1x5 or 3x3), and progress them faster.
Thanks for the great tips mate! I'll definitely try to progress the weight increasing a bit faster than I've been doing. But what do you mean by accessory? All of the other exercises?

To add to the routine bit, a friend shared with me his routine and I felt it was working alright for me. I'm a beginner in the sense that I just started hitting the gym for real. I used to gym from time to time some year back.
This routine looks very haphazard, and like a recipe for fuckarounditis. You're a beginner right? You don't need to be doing all that, and would be better served with one of the beginner routines from the OP.

Seriously. Reread the OP. Then read it again, pick up Starting Strength, and get results.
I did read the op, but I'll give it another go.

sphinx

the piano man
But what do you mean by accessory? All of the other exercises.

from I have gathered through the months, "accesory" exercises are those that can (should) be seen as a complement to the main compound lifts, Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Overhead Press. So yes, basically everything that isn't a main compound or a direct variation of it, is accesory or complementary.

someone can correct this if I got it wrong.

EDIT= and I'd suggest to start putting pull-ups and dips somewhere in your routine if you can, those are important exercises.

Gilby

from I have gathered through the months, "accesory" exercises are those that can (should) be seen as a complement to the main compound lifts, Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Overhead Press. So yes, basically everything that isn't a main compound or a direct variation of it, is accesory or complementary.

EDIT= and I'd suggest to start putting pull-ups and dips somewhere in your routine if you can, those are important exercises.

Pull ups more so than dips. His triceps should be getting plenty of exercise through benching and OHP for now.

Groof

Ah alright, thanks for the explanation!
Do you think I should exchange some exercises out for those two or try to incorporate them into my current routine? Because I'm going to the gym before school I have limited time (around 1.5h), sometimes I don't even have time to finish my current routine.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the great tips mate! I'll definitely try to progress the weight increasing a bit faster than I've been doing. But what do you mean by accessory? All of the other exercises?

Yep, pretty much everything other than the big compound lifts is accessory, meaning they're not going to do much for overall strength or place a growth impetus on your entire body. If you're training for strength you'd use accessory exercises to improve weak points in your strength curves, if you're training for size you'd use them to grow a desired muscle.

Beginner really refers more to whether or not you've exhausted your gains from linear progression (adding weight every week like a program such as Starting Strength has you doing). You could be going to the gym for years but still be a beginner if you never advance your strength past a certain stage. It's generally recommended that even if you want to do a more body-building style program you do a beginning strength program first to build a foundation. But as I said above, if you want to keep the current program (if you lift with your friend or something like that) it's serviceable - with a few alterations. Do what Petrie said and re-read the OP and you can decide which path you want to take.

Gilby

Do you think I should exchange some exercises out for those two or try to incorporate them into my current routine? Because I'm going to the gym before school I have limited time (around 1.5h), sometimes I don't even have time to finish my current routine.

You don't need to be doing about 3/4 of those exercises. Why are you doing leg presses if you're already doing squats? etc.

Here's what I'd suggest:

Mon/Thurs:
Bench
OHP
Pull-ups

Tues/Fri:
Squat
Deadlift
Pull-ups

Should save you some time and give you better results.

Petrie

Banned

I think you're doing far too many lifts and need to get rid of a number of them, like the shitty leg press.

1.5 hours isn't "limited", it's far longer than you need as a beginner.

Best thing you could do is just do the beginner routine from the OP. Stick to that for at least 3-6 months.

Matugi

Down to 154 but I have no idea where the lost weight is coming from. My muscle mass hasn't visibly decreased and my body fat is down to 15% from 16%. I've been drinking plenty of water, too. Kinda disappointed. I'll see how I am at 150 and if I'm not happy I'll go down to 145 before I start bulking again.

sphinx

the piano man
the prefered machine based leg accesory exercise of mostly everyone I know and every huge beast guy in my gym is is the Leg Extension.

and none of them uses the leg press machine, lol, you mostly see girls and guys new to the gym using them,

I have yet to learn why or if there is a correlation but yep, Leg press isn't a highlight in anyone's routine.

Gilby

the prefered machine based leg accesory exercise of mostly everyone I know and every huge beast guy in my gym is is the Leg Extension.

and none of them uses the leg press machine, lol, you mostly see girls and guys new to the gym using them,

I have yet to learn why or if there is a correlation but yep, Leg press isn't a highlight in anyone's routine.

Because the muscles it uses are more fully used by squats + a lot more stabilization (especially abs), AND you don't get full range of motion, AND you're not actually lifting the weight (it's being partially supported the entire time, it's just sliding on a ramp) which leads to newbs thinking they can squat 500lbs even though they don't squat.

Groof

Yep, pretty much everything other than the big compound lifts is accessory, meaning they're not going to do much for overall strength or place a growth impetus on your entire body. If you're training for strength you'd use accessory exercises to improve weak points in your strength curves, if you're training for size you'd use them to grow a desired muscle.

Beginner really refers more to whether or not you've exhausted your gains from linear progression (adding weight every week like a program such as Starting Strength has you doing). You could be going to the gym for years but still be a beginner if you never advance your strength past a certain stage. It's generally recommended that even if you want to do a more body-building style program you do a beginning strength program first to build a foundation. But as I said above, if you want to keep the current program (if you lift with your friend or something like that) it's serviceable - with a few alterations. Do what Petrie said and re-read the OP and you can decide which path you want to take.
Thanks for the insights. :)
I'll definitely check the OP again if you think I'd gain more from the routines that are there.
You don't need to be doing about 3/4 of those exercises. Why are you doing leg presses if you're already doing squats? etc.

Here's what I'd suggest:

Mon/Thurs:
Bench
OHP
Pull-ups

Tues/Fri:
Squat
Deadlift
Pull-ups

Should save you some time and give you better results.
That would save a lot of time haha. Should I keep doing the ohp with dumbbells too, you think?
I think you're doing far too many lifts and need to get rid of a number of them, like the shitty leg press.

1.5 hours isn't "limited", it's far longer than you need as a beginner.

Best thing you could do is just do the beginner routine from the OP. Stick to that for at least 3-6 months.
Alright, I guess I'll try out the routine in the OP this coming week, and take it from there. And duly noted on the leg press thing, I'll transfer this knowledge to my friend as well ;)

Thanks all for your tips and help! You've all been most kind and insightful, and now I'm feeling a bit more knowledgeable about all of this.

Gilby

I'll definitely check the OP again if you think I'd gain more from the routines that are there.

That would save a lot of time haha. Should I keep doing the ohp with dumbbells too, you think?

You could, I personally prefer the barbell but maybe do a warm-up or cool-down set with dumbbells then switch. Barbell will generally allow you to lift more weight, but dumbbells will make sure each arm is lifting the same weight.
The important thing is that you do it standing up, with good form. Don't do them sitting down.

SeanR1221

Alright, I guess I'll try out the routine in the OP this coming week, and take it from there. And duly noted on the leg press thing, I'll transfer this knowledge to my friend as well ;)

Thanks all for your tips and help! You've all been most kind and insightful, and now I'm feeling a bit more knowledgeable about all of this.

The important thing is to increase the weight EVERY session. This avoids fuckarounditis and gives you a set goal of what to do that day at the gym.

Do OHP with a barbell, standing.

theytookourjobz

The important thing is to increase the weight EVERY session. This avoids fuckarounditis and gives you a set goal of what to do that day at the gym.

Whatever you do, stick with a program. It might get boring doing the same shit over and over but that's how you get strong as a beginner.

Groof

You could, I personally prefer the barbell but maybe do a warm-up or cool-down set with dumbbells then switch. Barbell will generally allow you to lift more weight, but dumbbells will make sure each arm is lifting the same weight.
The important thing is that you do it standing up, with good form. Don't do them sitting down.
Gotcha. I'll switch around tomorrow morning, see how it goes.

Lol this word is great. Duly noted, though!
feeling absolutely psyched on going to the gym tomorrow now!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Late breakfast decided to make my first burgers and dogs on the BBQ.

EDIT: was wrong...3200-3300cal

1800cal for the burgers
1200cal for the dogs
260 milk

IMG_20130519_111410_zps2fafcb87.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
Late breakfast decided to make my first burgers and dogs on the BBQ.

Burgers are like 1600+ calories combined. 310 per patty lol.

With milk around 2800 calories, protein overload.

you eat all that by yourself, plus whatever you'll have some hours later, damn.

just how tall are you and how much do you weight?

I mean, of course I know you are regular and I know you probably hold some lifting records in all of fitness-GAF but I've never come around to ask that.

Cudder

Only have 4 more Cookie Dough Quest bars left and then I'm all out! I also gave a bunch to my girlfriend lol. I won't be buying more, it tasted great (especially in the microwave). I think I honestly like the Brownie flavour better.

Ah well, it was a nice few week deviation from protein shakes. :)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
you eat all that by yourself, plus whatever you'll have some hours later, damn.

just how tall are you and how much do you weight?

I mean, of course I know you are regular and I know you probably hold some lifting records in all of fitness-GAF but I've never come around to ask that.

Only managed to eat the two burgers and 3 dogs...

Fuck I didn't know the thicker wieners were 180 cal each!

5'9ish 196 right now

SeanR1221

Slow and steady my man. You'll be there in no time.

I hope to hit 300 for a single a year from now. We shall see. 5lbs being added per month steadily.

Yup. I wanted to be at 2 plates so bad right now but I've realized I can't hit 2 plates until I hit 215 and 220.

Like you said, slow and steady. Gotta keep dip dip dipping and building my triceps and just bench more.

Groof

Mon/Thurs:
Bench
OHP
Pull-ups

Tues/Fri:
Squat
Deadlift
Pull-ups

Alright, one more question. I'm thinking about going with this routine for tomorrow morning but I'm thinking about adding in cable crunches at the end of each because I feel like I need to work on my abs. Is this stupid?

Petrie

Banned
Yup. I wanted to be at 2 plates so bad right now but I've realized I can't hit 2 plates until I hit 215 and 220.

Like you said, slow and steady. Gotta keep dip dip dipping and building my triceps and just bench more.

Cooter is right about weighted dips: once you can do them they really are the best bench assistance I've found. Got 10 reps with 45lbs strapped on today. felt awesome.

Alright, one more question. I'm thinking about going with this routine for tomorrow morning but I'm thinking about adding in cable crunches at the end of each because I feel like I need to work on my abs. Is this stupid?

Just do it as-is for now. believe us: your abs are going to get hit plenty as you add weight.

PBY

Banned
Slow and steady my man. You'll be there in no time.

I hope to hit 300 for a single a year from now. We shall see. 5lbs being added per month steadily.

Do you find that your weight goes up pretty regularly/consistently?

Because I'm all over the place. I have a general upward trajectory, but some days I can barely lift my normal amount, and then some other days, I'll throw on 10 pounds and it will be gravy.

Its strange.

SeanR1221

Cooter is right about weighted dips: once you can do them they really are the best bench assistance I've found. Got 10 reps with 45lbs strapped on today. felt awesome.

Just do it as-is for now. believe us: your abs are going to get hit plenty as you add weight.

Yeah once I can hit 15 x3 body weight dips ill try some weighted.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Absolutely. When people ask me how they might be able to get their bench up I suggest weighted dips and they don't understand. I had 3 plates the other week and could have done more but it gets a little tricky strapping more than 3 plates on that thing. :/

Petrie

Banned
Do you find that your weight goes up pretty regularly/consistently?

Because I'm all over the place. I have a general upward trajectory, but some days I can barely lift my normal amount, and then some other days, I'll throw on 10 pounds and it will be gravy.

Its strange.

Well you're way beyond my level if I'm not mistaken, but i find 5/3/1 to be perfect in that it increases just enough regularly that I can almost always hit the minimum. I'm also cutting so the minimum is all I'm shooting for. Makes me even more excited to bulk come Fall.

We all have off days though. For me an off day would be when i feel like the tank is empty after my 3rd 5/3/1 set, instead of like there's a few in the tank still.

I guess overall its remained upward though.

Hehe alright, thanks! The pull ups are scaring me, though...
When I began that program 2 years ago I couldn't do a dip or pullup. Just keep at it. I did negatives, pulldowns, and assisted pullups to get there. Just don't use any of those as a crutch, keep trying.

Tips for being weak out of the bottom of the squat?

Focus on getting back on your heels, pushing your knees out and keeping your lower back in. Use the mind-muscle connection to make sure you're using your glutes. Some people kind of "bounce" on the very last part which can help if you're too quad-dominant and trying to straighten your knees to get up vs. using the hips.

did a role of shame on Bench this morning. I thought I could do one more. lol

Ain't no shame in the roll, better than flailing your legs around and shouting a breathless "help!" Done properly the roll is pretty boss IMHO.

andycapps

Focus on getting back on your heels, pushing your knees out and keeping your lower back in. Use the mind-muscle connection to make sure you're using your glutes. Some people kind of "bounce" on the very last part which can help if you're too quad-dominant and trying to straighten your knees to get up vs. using the hips.

Ain't no shame in the roll, better than flailing your legs around and shouting a breathless "help!" Done properly the roll is pretty boss IMHO.
Think putting something under my heels for a while might help? Slight bounce too maybe.

despire

Why that one and not the one in the OP (or SS).

No offense to the guy who laid that one out but SS or the OP routine is superior.

ZeroRay

I never seriously practiced pull-ups for almost 8 months, I can still do at least 5 dead hang. >_>

Gonna incorporate them, along with chinups starting today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom