• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Awesome pics. You looking buff and your wife looking pretty. It's been too long since I've been in a tropic paradise like that..

Absolutely not, that was interesting. Never knew your (step)father was a bodybuilder back in the day.

you guys look amazing and congratulations to both of you :)

Wow, totally going to try these. Not sure where to find that gum stuff though.
Also, had oven baked salmon with a bit of oliver oil, salt and pepper and baby asparagus for breakfast. Felt really weird :p

Thanks guys!

Being off my supplements for a week then hopping back on has done wonders to my digestive track :/

Or maybe it's my body saying "stop eating clean, where's the French toast!?"

I think that may be it - my conditioning is next to terrible. In terms of preserving muscle, is it better to do HIIT or jogging?

It sounds like lifting is conditioning enough for you, I would just stick with that for a while until you get "conditioned." 2-3 minutes between sets is a pretty normal rest period IMHO.

Dear, Fitness-GAF:

My girlfriend has very little muscle development on her upper body. She can barely do a single push-up, no pull-ups, and she often suffers from muscle aches due to poor muscular development in those areas.

I am trying to help her out, so I've come across one option: resistance bands

Now, I'm aware of their downsides, particularly in comparison to free weights and even machines, but would they be of tremendous help to her initially or would they be virtually useless even at this stage of her fitness development?

ToxicAdam

Unless you are a marathon runner, you don't have to worry about cardio 'wasting away' any muscle.

Honestly, if you have the time, it should be a part of everyone's regimen.

CrankyJay

Banned
Dear, Fitness-GAF:

My girlfriend has very little muscle development on her upper body. She can barely do a single push-up, no pull-ups, and she often suffers from muscle aches due to poor muscular development in those areas.

Now, I'm aware of their downsides, particularly in comparison to free weights and even machines, but would they be of tremendous help to her initially or would they be virtually useless even at this stage of her fitness development?

Has she tried doing push-ups on her knees?

knee_pushup.JPG

Cudder

Dear, Fitness-GAF:

Get her to start working out with dumbbells? They start out very light.

SeanR1221

Unless you are a marathon runner, you don't have to worry about cardio 'wasting away' any muscle.

I'll finally have time now that I won't be working weekends anymore. I'm sure an extra 20 minutes of bicycle hiit will help 2x a week.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty psyched - all my fitness work has been noticed by my brother, who was always the smaller and skinnier one in my family, so I get to teach him what I know about SS in the gym today. Really psyched to have a workout partner, mainly. My roommate occasionally runs on a treadmill so that shit don't count.

Trying to remember how much weight he should be working with. Isn't it 90% of your 1RM?

andycapps

I'm kicking up the cardio this last week and a half before the beach. Did 5 1/2 miles walking yesterday between a short walk at work and an hour when I got home. Last week was a complete break from weightlifting, but I start back up tonight and will walk every day until I leave.

Some good news is that I measured last night with calipers and since I started walking every day at work for half an hour (combined with SS 3 times a week) I'm down 3-4 percent in bodyfat. Went from about 23% to about 19-20%. Eventually I'd like to be around 12, but goal for this year is probably 15%.

Also, this is probably not the right thread, but I'd like to get some perspective from people that are into fitness... I have never drank alcohol seriously, for various reasons. But wife and I are going to the beach next week and I've been thinking about partaking in some adult beverages while we're there. Not really wanting to get drunk, and definitely not looking to put on a lot of weight. So keeping in mind that I'm not used to the taste of alcohol, and not wanting a ton of carbs, where should I start? What I think appeals to me would be liquor like whiskey or bourbon, I don't think I'd ever be the type to down a case of beer. But sipping some whiskey at the end of the day sounds nice, or maybe some type of dark beer. Preferably something that's not super bitter. Beer I've had in the past tasted like shit.

Ever wake up in the morning and just feel fat? And skinny? =/

OHP day today then time to do all the assistance exercise with a time under tension mentality. Later on tonight Insanity abs.

On that home stretch. Here we go.

despire

Pretty psyched - all my fitness work has been noticed by my brother, who was always the smaller and skinnier one in my family, so I get to teach him what I know about SS in the gym today. Really psyched to have a workout partner, mainly. My roommate occasionally runs on a treadmill so that shit don't count.

Trying to remember how much weight he should be working with. Isn't it 90% of your 1RM?

No, he should be working with the weight that is challenging but doesn't compromise good form. The lower the better basically. The biggest mistake is to use too much weight.

Also if he hasn't ever lifted before you can't tell what his 1RM is nor should he be trying it.

ToxicAdam

Also, this is probably not the right thread, but I'd like to get some perspective from people that are into fitness... I have never drank alcohol seriously, for various reasons. But wife and I are going to the beach next week and I've been thinking about partaking in some adult beverages while we're there. Not really wanting to get drunk, and definitely not looking to put on a lot of weight. So keeping in mind that I'm not used to the taste of alcohol, and not wanting a ton of carbs, where should I start? What I think appeals to me would be liquor like whiskey or bourbon, I don't think I'd ever be the type to down a case of beer. But sipping some whiskey at the end of the day sounds nice, or maybe some type of dark beer. Preferably something that's not super bitter. Beer I've had in the past tasted like shit.

If you are not a drinker, I find it highly unlikely you will find a beer that is not bitter. That's kind of the point of a good beer.

You could just stick to juice/liquor. Like an OJ/vodka or Cranberry/vodka. Or you could go the diet soda/whiskey route. That might be too many carbs for ya, don't know what your macros are.

Better yet, do a whiskey and water. Get a big tumbler/thermos and fill it full of ice. Drop some water and whiskey into it and maybe a splash of lemon or honey and you have a nice drink. As the ice melts, it will dilute the whiskey even more.

Just go easy, it's very easy to get hammered when you are on a beach all afternoon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No, he should be working with the weight that is challenging but doesn't compromise good form. The lower the better basically. The biggest mistake is to use too much weight.

Also if he hasn't ever lifted before you can't tell what his 1RM is nor should he be trying it.

I think that was a mistake on my end when I did it like that. Of course it was machine work/dumbbells so I could bail out if it was foolishness.

I'll start him low, because there's literally nothing wrong with going as low as you can and work up. Thanks for keeping me on the right path.

andycapps

If you are not a drinker, I find it highly unlikely you will find a beer that is not bitter. That's kind of the point of a good beer.

You could just stick to juice/liquor. Like an OJ/vodka or Cranberry/vodka. Or you could go the diet soda/whiskey route. That might be too many carbs for ya, don't know what your macros are.

Better yet, do a whiskey and water. Get a big tumbler/thermos and fill it full of ice. Drop some water and whiskey into it and maybe a splash of lemon or honey and you have a nice drink. As the ice melts, it will dilute the whiskey even more.

Just go easy, it's very easy to get hammered when you are on a beach all afternoon.

Haha thanks for the tips. Tips on beginner's whiskey? Worth going for something more expensive or go for cheap shit since I'm new and won't be able to tell the difference?

I'm tired of being looked at as a weirdo for this...

Am I the only person who absolutely hates gyms? I love exercising, but doing it in a gym just strikes me as the most depressing thing ever. Plus the crappy music and the sterile smell just completely kills it for me. It's probably the thing I hate most about modern life...

Plus, the gym jockeys disgust me. I don't know, I just can't see anything good in them. Such fucking crap.

I get why the muscle folk are there, but the aerobic drones going at it in the machines while the sun is shining outside just completely depress me... Just go outside damnit! And when it's raining, do some calisthenics or jump some rope at home! =/

I just needed to vent. Some friends invited me to the gymn, and I tried inviting them to come run with me near the beach and they just stood there looking at me like I was speaking in alien language... it depressed me, I had to come vent somewhere.

Lol. Sorry and thanks for listening, GAF. :p

Zoe

Dear, Fitness-GAF:

Body Pump is easily scalable.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Am I the only person who absolutely hates gyms? I love exercising, but doing it in a gym just strikes me as the most depressing thing ever. Plus the crappy music and the sterile smell just completely kills it for me. It's probably the thing I hate most about modern life...

Plus, the gym jockeys disgust me. I don't know, I just can't see anything good in them. Such fucking crap.

I get why the muscle folk are there, but the aerobic drones going at it in the machines while the sun is shining outside just completely depress me... Just go outside damnit! And when it's raining, do some calisthenics or jump some rope at home! =/

I just needed to vent. Some friends invited me to the gymn, and I tried inviting them to come run with me near the beach and they just stood there looking at me like I was speaking in alien language... it depressed me, I had to come vent somewhere.

The only thing I really agree with is me wishing those people on treadmills would run away :p other than that, I like the sterility (even though it aint) of modern gyms and the bad music.

grumble

I agree that all else being equal, exercising outside beats exercising in a gym. I go to a gym because:

1. No worries about weather.
2. Has equipment I need (progressively loadable weights, consistent surface, etc)
3. I can do things that would be weird outside the gym but are normal inside (burpees, etc)
4. Classes (though I rarely go, normally I'm doing the weights).

If all someone wants to do is run and it's a nice day outside, then yeah they suck.

ToxicAdam

Go late at night or real early in the morning. Bring your own music and play it loud.

Noema

Normally I don't love T-Nation but I thought this article by Dave Tate was good:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/master_the_squat

I fucking hate commercial gyms. I fucking loathe them. I guess a real deal black Iron Gym would be different but typical Globo gyms are just a parade of stupidity, entitlement and vanity.

Can't wait until I get my own equipment so I can train at home.

Tash

Dear, Fitness-GAF:

Have her do push-ups on her knees. Once she can do 15 get her to do normal ones.
I started barely being able to do three normal ones..so I did as many as I could then went to my knees and kept going when I started out.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've learned more about food and cooking in the last three days using MyFitnessPal than ever before in my life. Just having those numbers there is really eye-opening. It's so easy to eat shitty, even if you make your own food. You've really gotta know exactly how much of what you're eating if you're trying to diet.

Made myself a delicious egg pasta bowl that was less than 600 calories. 27 grams of total fat, 52 grams of carbs, and 26 grams of protein.

2 hard-boiled eggs (with the yolk, mmmm)
1 cup of pasta
2 cups of broccoli
1 tbsp of oil

Fucking delicious. I've never had to really be creative with my food until now, and it's awesome.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How is that flavor? I bought a box of apple pie after rounds of cookie dough--SOO GOOOD

I like the cinammon roll ones, especially heated up. There's a graininess to it I like. Apple pie is the bomb. cookie dough was too sweet for me.

So i´m one year in the gym, on my latest attempt to get in top shape. I´m 5´11 or 6´0 depending on how i measure and i started at 185 pounds and now i´m at 170.

I´m just working on shedding fat and building lean muscle, and after the aid of some cycles of Lipo6 Black, now that i´m off i feel a bit fatigued during my routines.

It´s six days a week, and after the regular exercises i´m staying one hour on the treadmill, alternating speeds.

I noticed that i´m reducing the weights in some exercises, and sometimes shortening the treadmill from one hour to 45 or 50 minutes...

Is this overtraining?

I wouldn´t like to stop because i´m seeing results, so what´s the best advice to suck it up and continue to train?

I feel like not lifting hard enough right now i´m just not gaining anything... and the reason why i don´t push more on each set is due to fatigue.

And if i rest, then i´m afraid i would gain like 5 pounds in one week, due to my eating. I´m only not going to the gym when i´m on business trips.

So, thoughts on my situation?

SeanR1221

Normally I don't love T-Nation but I thought this article by Dave Tate was good:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/master_the_squat

I fucking hate commercial gyms. I fucking loathe them. I guess a real deal black Iron Gym would be different but typical Globo gyms are just a parade of stupidity, entitlement and vanity.

Can't wait until I get my own equipment so I can train at home.

My time at iron sport gym has showed me what a gym should look like.

No one doing any nonsense. Everyone was doing something there with good form. An old guy was power cleaning. A young girl squatting. No one was standing admiring themselves in the mirror.

The nicest guys go there too. Everyone is ready to exchange tips and knowledge. Hell, they even have a wall of community weight belts for people to use.

If only it was a little closer to me ;____;

Tash

Substitute for chalk?

:/

Also, I look in the mirror all the time to check my form but I find it a bit embarrassing. One of the reason I am really self conscious going to the gym. I kinda have to, though. My form is still very wonky, even with freaking lunges.

abuC

My time at iron sport gym has showed me what a gym should look like.

No one doing any nonsense. Everyone was doing something there with good form. An old guy was power cleaning. A young girl squatting. No one was standing admiring themselves in the mirror.

The nicest guys go there too. Everyone is ready to exchange tips and knowledge. Hell, then even have a wall of community weight belts for people to use.

If only it was a little closer to me ;____;

But the mirror reminded me to ease up a little bit, I was starting to look like a powerlifter a few months ago and we can't have that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Every time I look at the mirror while I'm trying to do a workout I pull a muscle in my neck, that taught me to look at the floor.

grumble

So i´m one year in the gym, on my latest attempt to get in top shape. I´m 5´11 or 6´0 depending on how i measure and i started at 185 pounds and now i´m at 170.

I´m just working on shedding fat and building lean muscle, and after the aid of some cycles of Lipo6 Black, now that i´m off i feel a bit fatigued during my routines.

It´s six days a week, and after the regular exercises i´m staying one hour on the treadmill, alternating speeds.

I noticed that i´m reducing the weights in some exercises, and sometimes shortening the treadmill from one hour to 45 or 50 minutes...

Is this overtraining?

I wouldn´t like to stop because i´m seeing results, so what´s the best advice to suck it up and continue to train?

I feel like not lifting hard enough right now i´m just not gaining anything... and the reason why i don´t push more on each set is due to fatigue.

And if i rest, then i´m afraid i would gain like 5 pounds in one week, due to my eating. I´m only not going to the gym when i´m on business trips.

So, thoughts on my situation?

You're probably overdoing it, yeah. 6 hour-long sessions a week on the treadmill plus 6x/week weights is too much. Do this instead:

Monday: Weights
Tuesday: Weights, HIIT
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Weights
Friday: Weights, HIIT
Saturday: LSD cardio
Sunday: Off

That's a fair bit of cardio, and you'll have four sessions in the weight room without the cardio screwing up your recovery so much.

Also, after a year you can probably start to creep up on the scale a bit. 170 at 6' isn't particularly heavy, and your progress might be calorie limited.

Also, no wonder you're feeling tired after your workouts since you were on stimulants previously. Try a cup of coffee or just get used to your low-stim lifestyle for a while.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Was feeling pretty brolic at work so I took some pics, been doing 9x15 deadhang pullups (alternating between neutral, regular and chinups) on days I lift and single set of 35-40 neutral grip on some off days I don't do volume on them.

Question for fitness gaf: Would masterbating have any effect on later workout sessions?

3 times a day minimum. Sex can substitute one masturbation session and one cardio session. Boosts my test levels over 9000.

Petrie

Banned
Really hard to stay on track during my cut when my girl keeps insisting I'm getting too small and she likes me bulkier.

I just think she likes not feeling self-consicious because I look so shhhhweet. lol

Go_Ly_Dow

is working each muscle group once a week enough? or should i be considering working them again after a 2-3 day rest or after the muscle pain has gone?

Was feeling pretty brolic at work so I took some pics, been doing 9x15 deadhang pullups (alternating between neutral, regular and chinups) on days I lift and single set of 35-40 neutral grip on some off days I don't do volume on them.

3 times a day minimum. Sex can substitute one masturbation session and one cardio session. Boosts my test levels over 9000.

big dood. full of mass.

how much do you weigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom