• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Been lurking the fitness thread for a lil' bit and been looking for tips on bulking up. Not really looking to be super-buff, just reasonably-sized and not as skinny as I am now.

- 19 yo.
- 140 lbs
- Around 6"1, been awhile since i checked.

I've heard about the GOMAD diet but I seem to be lactose intolerant and lactose-free milk is expensive as fuck. Over on Reddit's r/fitness, they said that protein shakes can work well with gaining healthy weight but every shake I've tried tastes like dry bland crap. Any tips?

Holy shit, eat ZILLIONS! You won't accidentally get super buff. It doesn't work that way.

I've been enjoying my shakes, it's really up in the air if your tastes align with any of ours. I really like 8-Ball Nutrition's 100 Whey.

Imm0rt4l

eF2LAbA.jpg

Just made the protein cheesecake from dhftns. It was really good.

grumble

Been lurking the fitness thread for a lil' bit and been looking for tips on bulking up. Not really looking to be super-buff, just reasonably-sized and not as skinny as I am now.

- 19 yo.
- 140 lbs
- Around 6"1, been awhile since i checked.

I've heard about the GOMAD diet but I seem to be lactose intolerant and lactose-free milk is expensive as fuck. Over on Reddit's r/fitness, they said that protein shakes can work well with gaining healthy weight but every shake I've tried tastes like dry bland crap. Any tips?

1. Eating for you is no longer for 'fun'. It's a job.
2. Eat more than you are comfortable with, more often than you are comfortable with.
3. Buy lactase pills in bulk online or at costco. They're cheap as hell and will let you digest milk.
4. Good foods to explore: trail mix, ground beef, chicken, eggs, bacon, pork, fish, nuts, peanut butter.

Hope you're working out too!

My favourite protein powder is Precision Nutrition I-PLX Decadent Double Chocolate. I went to a fitness expo recently as tried like 20 different shakes, and it was my favourite by a good margin. The vanilla one was gross. Casein's not bad and mixes surprisingly well, but not quite as tasty. I ended up mixing them half and half together. I use a shaker, but you could blend it with a banana, ice cream, coconut oil, peanut butter, whatever.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Once again opinions defer.

Heating protein denatures it. Protein will and has to be denatured through digestion.
True.

Does the timing and location of denaturng the protein have any effect on the biological value and bioavailability of the amino acids?
- denatured before ingestion versus during digestion.

Do the different processes of denaturng have different effects on the biological value and bioavailability of the amino acids?
- heating protein to 400 degrees Celcius versus the use of stomach acids involved in the digestive process?

Imm0rt4l

Uploaded the pictures of my honeymoon. Here are some of my favorites :)
Thanks for sharing, hope it was a great time all around. Also I hope you logged plenty of other cardio in fitocracy
That looks terrible, 100% rat ass!

player-haters-ball-o.gif

Nah, I'm just mad that you made that in addition to having access to In & Out burger.

Stay on that hamburger helper while I eat this filet mignon.

*sprays gheri curl

looking meaty sean. glad you had fun as well.

----

so going to Fox and Hound (sports bar) to watch the Pacers/Heat game.

What should I eat? Was just thinking wings and/or a chicken caesar salad.

WorldStar

Banned
so going to Fox and Hound (sports bar) to watch the Pacers/Heat game.

What should I eat? Was just thinking wings and/or a chicken caesar salad.

bout to head to gym to watch game, sports bar sounds much nicer

and wings is the only correct answer. pretty much the only thing I ever eat when I go to sports bars.

Kyaw

Sup dudes.

What arm work - reps/sets - would you recommend for a beginner on the 3rd day on the SS programme?

Pull ups after Bench - 3 sets of as many reps as you can (If weighted, 3x5)
Dips after OHP - same format as pull ups

If you want to hit biceps only, do any type of curls 3 sets of 10. You can do this on Monday and Friday.

This changes the barebones SS a little bit. Just be wary that these changes may or may not help you with SS progress.

I use the scientific method when changing training schedules. If I make a change, change only one variable at a time and see if it affects anything else. If it's a good result, keep it. If not drop it and look for another solution.

Matugi

Ah, today was a good day.

Had a nice chest/lat workout that concluded in flipping a 550lb tire.

Had some good ass chicken shwarma for dinner.

Made another batch of protein pancakes.

Looking in the face of a 12 mile bike ride tomorrow

And I found some girls who lift at UNC

life is good :)

chicken shwarma so good.

if I had it my way, I would eat lamb all the time.

bout to head to gym to watch game, sports bar sounds much nicer

and wings is the only correct answer. pretty much the only thing I ever eat when I go to sports bars.

Yeah gonna be wings or a buffalo chicken sammich.

SeanR1221

Thanks for the continued love, fitgafbros <3

I just bought a big bag of huge frozen strawberries from costco.

I'm thinking those, with vanilla whey and almond milk will taste great in the vitamix.

Hilti92

Fitness GAF, I just picked up creatine, does it really help build muscle and lift heavier amounts? I am going to start doing heavy lifts, short sets to try and help improve my muscle mass. Currently at 5'8" 143 lbs. I will be going 5 nights a week and doing 1 muscle group a day. Bad idea? I will also be working for a moving company.

Petrie

Banned
Fitness GAF, I just picked up creatine, does it really help build muscle and lift heavier amounts? I am going to start doing heavy lifts, short sets to try and help improve my muscle mass. Currently at 5'8" 143 lbs. I will be going 5 nights a week and doing 1 muscle group a day. Bad idea? I will also be working for a moving company.

The OP is just a click away. You should give it a read, then do something completely different from what you're suggesting.

Now on another note, since Sean reminded me in the other thread, it's time for some bitching. Here is a picture of my dad from his competition days in the 70s:

Unfortunately, my dad is in fact only my stepdad genetically, and so rather than being blessed with his awesome genes, all I got was fucking diabetes.

Now, the cool stories of my dad lifting in the 80s & 90s with guys like Randy Savage and Seargeant Slaughter when they were touring and would hit the Gold's are sweet, but I could give my mother a swift kick for not meeting him sooner and blessing me with dem genes.

End rant.

SeanR1221

Read the OP. a routine like that plus a lot of food will help you build mass

The OP is just a click away. You should give it a read, then do something completely different from what you're suggesting.

Now on another note, since Sean reminded me in the other thread, it's time for some bitching. Here is a picture of my dad from his competition days in the 70s:

Unfortunately, my dad is in fact only my stepdad genetically, and so rather than being blessed with his awesome genes, all I got was fucking diabetes.

Now, the cool stories of my dad lifting in the 80s & 90s with guys like Randy Savage and Seargeant Slaughter when they were touring and would hit the Gold's are sweet, but I could give my mother a swift kick for not meeting him sooner and blessing me with dem genes.

End rant.

Damn he was rock solid. Does he take a lot of interest in you lifting?

Petrie

Banned
Read the OP. a routine like that plus a lot of food will help you build mass

Damn he was rock solid. Does he take a lot of interest in you lifting?

Unfortunately he was a former alcoholic who since my mother and he divorced has fallen back into old habits, so he hasn't been around much to be interested. Sucks man. Such a wealth of knowledge I can't tap.

He is a huge motivator for me regardless though. I know I have an addictive personality much like him, and I need to keep it focused on positive things like he used to before life got in the way.

It's a shame to see someone who rose as high as Mr. Northeast in the late 70s fall so far, but you can't force help on people.

End derail. Sorry about that fellas.

Really general questions here, but I'll ask.

1. Is Cytogainer a good protein in this day and age (for general lean building), or is the money better spent elsewhere?

2. How much of a difference are pre-post/meal replacement proteins in comparison to ones that are strictly for post work out? I figure they work best in conjunction with each other, but I honestly don't know.

Cudder

I'm thinking those, with vanilla whey and almond milk will taste great in the vitamix.

I've got 3 bags of frozen berries for my vanilla protein. So delicious, think I might have one now :)

Cudder

1. Is Cytogainer a good protein in this day and age (for general lean building), or is the money better spent elsewhere?

2. How much of a difference are pre-post/meal replacement proteins in comparison to ones that are strictly for post work out? I figure they work best in conjunction with each other, but I honestly don't know.

1. Never heard of that brand.

2. I think you're overthinking it. Meal replacement shakes/powders should have a more balanced profile instead of just/mostly protein. You can take your protein whenever you want.

blackflag

Once again opinions defer.

Heating protein denatures it. Protein will and has to be denatured through digestion.
True.

Does the timing and location of denaturng the protein have any effect on the biological value and bioavailability of the amino acids?
- denatured before ingestion versus during digestion.

Do the different processes of denaturng have different effects on the biological value and bioavailability of the amino acids?
- heating protein to 400 degrees Celcius versus the use of stomach acids involved in the digestive process?

His response was to cooking it. He said it doesn't matter at all. I'm not a doctor so I can only choose whom to believe and I find him to be pretty much the most knowledgeable guy on anything protein related. It doesn't sound like he's giving an opinion. Like I said though, I can only choose who to believe. I do know that cooking it never seemed to hurt my results and I cook with it a lot.

grumble

I wouldn't bother with the cytogainer.

(FYI for everyone else, it's 27g protein/37g carbs, lightly fortified with vitamins and minerals, 75g scoop).

It's straddling the line between a mass gainer and a protein shake. I don't like mass gainers, as they stuff it full of cheap starch to pump up the calories and you'd be better spent eating real food and just drinking a protein shake. It's also a bit annoying because you can't manipulate your macros like you could with a low-carb shake. If I were you, I'd stick with a decent milk protein blend like a casein/whey mix or even a more complex mix like casein/egg/whey or whatever. It's just a good all around protein powder.

The post workout specific supplements tend to have a fast digesting protein like whey or even whey hydrolysate plus some sugar to jack your insulin levels. Personally not a big fan; they've got a narrow focus to have in the cabinet and I prefer more flexible products, and science hasn't backed up their effectiveness over something like chocolate milk.

If you're drinking a lot of meal replacement shakes (which are intended to be drunk anytime), then you may want to evaluate your diet and try to eat more real food.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Alright, I've been cutting a lot of body fat over the month of May, and I've hit 150 pounds. My goal now is to get as shredded as I possibly can, which is something I've never done. Get myself down to 145lbs by the end of the month. I know I can do it if I just stay focused. Even downloaded MyFitnessPal to aid me in my progress.

Today's food report:

2 scrambled eggs
Fage non-fat yogurt
Small coffee

Chipotle chicken burrito bowl
Lean Body protein shake

Cottage cheese w/ almonds
Whole stick of broccoli
Another small coffee
Caffeine-free tea
Bunch of water

For a total of 1500-1600 calories.

I feel pretty okay so far, but we'll see how long this lasts.

Btw, I'm gonna continue working out 5 days a week (two of these being heavy cardio).

So yeah, thought I'd share, and hopefully I'll update with pics as the weeks go on.

Wish me luck! (And offer some advice if you can)

EDIT: Took quite a bit of Edkrm's advice. :)

1. Never heard of that brand.

2. I think you're overthinking it. Meal replacement shakes/powders should have a more balanced profile instead of just/mostly protein. You can take your protein whenever you want.

I wouldn't bother with the cytogainer.

(FYI for everyone else, it's 27g protein/37g carbs, lightly fortified with vitamins and minerals, 75g scoop).

It's straddling the line between a mass gainer and a protein shake. I don't like mass gainers, as they stuff it full of cheap starch to pump up the calories and you'd be better spent eating real food and just drinking a protein shake. It's also a bit annoying because you can't manipulate your macros like you could with a low-carb shake. If I were you, I'd stick with a decent milk protein blend like a casein/whey mix or even a more complex mix like casein/egg/whey or whatever. It's just a good all around protein powder.

The post workout specific supplements tend to have a fast digesting protein like whey or even whey hydrolysate plus some sugar to jack your insulin levels. Personally not a big fan; they've got a narrow focus to have in the cabinet and I prefer more flexible products, and science hasn't backed up their effectiveness over something like chocolate milk.

If you're drinking a lot of meal replacement shakes (which are intended to be drunk anytime), then you may want to evaluate your diet and try to eat more real food.

Thanks for the info.

I was originally taking a GNC protein, then I've moved to Syntha 6 a few months ago. Up until I moved to Syntha 6 I was taking it once a day post workout, but now I take an extra as a meal replacement throughout the day. I usually eat 6-7 times and cook every day, so I think I'm good as far as that goes. I don't know anything about supplements though, and the only things I take are a protein shake and some BCAA(only while working out or being active) and have always tried to get most of my nutritional needs through physical foods. I'm just so lost as to what I should get and what is best. Luckily I have some decent genetics on my side, but that isn't enough lol

Again, I really do appreciate the info, so thanks :^)

Wish me luck! (And offer some advice if you can)
I always listen to the Metal Gear Rising ost on cardio days and imagine myself ninja running over stuff chasing someone. Haha, I know, I'm a dork.

A good one a friend and I do has been great. We call it the Uphill Battle. Stair master first(I usually go for about 40 minutes at a pretty decent pace), then we get on the treadmill and put it on the highest incline. Start out at 5mph and run a tenth of a mile. Then get off and do push ups or sit ups. Jump back on the treadmill and increase by 1mph increments each time you get off. It always makes my stomach hurt in a good way.

Anyways, good luck! Please go destroy the gym lol

ACE 1991

Sean your wife is hot! And your chest is looking huge! Looks like you guys had a great time.

As promised my numbers from my first month on the OP routine. Not 1RM but my 5 rep working set numbers.

Day 1/Day 30
Squat = 155/225
Deadlift = 175/275
Bench = 115/140
OHP = 85/105
Power Clean = 105/130

Trainer at the gym stopped by while I was warming up my deads and said it looked like I was slimming up and said he could see cuts in my shoulders coming through my shirt. Deadlifts went up like there were two marshmellows on the ends of the bar after that.

Fuck you, I've been squatting since late December and I still can't do 225 for reps.

#skinnyfatforlife

Good work though, man.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
His response was to cooking it. He said it doesn't matter at all. I'm not a doctor so I can only choose whom to believe and I find him to be pretty much the most knowledgeable guy on anything protein related. It doesn't sound like he's giving an opinion. Like I said though, I can only choose who to believe. I do know that cooking it never seemed to hurt my results and I cook with it a lot.

Don't take the opinion comment the wrong way.
My rule for this entire industry is that it is heavily opinion based and that people need to be comfortable with that. There is usually science to back up several different answers to the same question.
I worked in the supplement industry and was a rep for ON for a couple of years. Had the benefit of being able to chat with guys on the science team from time to time. Also used to converse with a couple of high profile nutritional scientists and personal trainers on a bi-weekly basis. My knowledge is limited to what I learned during that time.
Heat was always a major stress point for products containing whey. Places you don't want to store it in your kitchen, places not to store it in stores and warehouses. Temperature controlled shipping containers etc.
I just find it hard to believe that all that effort and education was for nothing. The amount of money that could have been saved is mind baffling if heat isn't an issue for whey protein powder.

Tash

Uploaded the pictures of my honeymoon. Here are some of my favorites :)

you guys look amazing and congratulations to both of you :)

Wow, totally going to try these. Not sure where to find that gum stuff though.
Also, had oven baked salmon with a bit of oliver oil, salt and pepper and baby asparagus for breakfast. Felt really weird :p

Tash

My fav breakfast
Frozen strawberries
Vanilla/cookie flavoured whey protein
Almond milk
Bit of water
Some walnuts

Blend all

OG Kush

Has anyone tried this brand (trutein)? It's quite cheap here in the UK, and I'm tempted to pick up a 5lb tub. Quite tempted by the chocolate peanut butter flavour, at the moment.

Can you use this truetein stuff in shakes? or is it mostly cooking?

Szu

Sean, I'm adding Jamaica to my list of future travels.

Nice pics, looks like you and your lovely wife had a great time.

The last pic looks like something from a video game.

velociraptor

2-3 minutes between what? Lifting sets?

If you are physically incapable of moving onto the next set because you feel like you need rest, I wouldn't push yourself to ignore what your body is telling you.

If you feel like you are being limited by your cardiovascular health, I'd work on that.

I started focusing on my cardio several months ago and I find that my cardiovascular stamina translates over to when I lift weighs. Just feels like my heart can handle more intense lifting sessions.

Just my 2 cents.

I think that may be it - my conditioning is next to terrible. In terms of preserving muscle, is it better to do HIIT or jogging?

twofold

Trutein in the UK? Where?

http://www.predatornutrition.com/en/trutein-5lb/

I'm an idiot. I was comparing the price of 5lbs of trutein to 5kg of protein at myprotein. Doh.

Edit - Ah, screw it. Ordered a 5lb tub of chocolate peanut butter flavour. I think it'll go well with my cottage cheese/greek yoghurt peanut butter mix.

1 scoop protein powder
1 tablespoon peanut flour
2 tablespoons water

Mix with hand mixer. Add in 100g low fat cottage cheese or 125g greek yoghurt and mix.

The macros are awesome. Using trutein, it works out to be around -

300 calories
50g protein
17g carbs
7g fat

Looking forward to tasting it soon.

Ovid

Guise gonna share sumten yummy I picked up at Safeway the other day:

1206w-vans-waffles-l.jpg

10 grams of protein per serving, and they are damn tasty. They were on sale too, ~$2 for a box of em.

I've had the Kashi waffles in the past. These are better.

I use em to make my healthy take on chicken and waffles. Dem waffles + rotisserie chicken = good shit
I'm assuming those 10g of protein are all soy, right?

CrankyJay

Banned
Sup bros

First day back at the gym. Right leg/hip is still tight or sore when sitting or laying in certain positions but I decided a month off was enough.

Did a light workout to test things out.

Hopefully wont wake up in pain tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom