• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyaw

So I did the HIIT routine that was suggested a few pages back

50 sec jog / 10 sec sprint
48 sec jog / 12 sec sprint
46 sec jog / 14 sec sprint
44 sec jog / 16 sec sprint
42 sec jog / 18 sec sprint
40 / 20
40 / 20
42 / 18
44 / 16
46 / 14
48 / 12
50 / 10

Did it on an exercise bike. It surprisingly wasn't that bad. Maybe because I did it on no resistance? I don't know. I'm open to suggestions.

I've been doing them with a stationary bike on my off days. Resistance is semi-high but still ain't that bad.

Haven't checked my heart rate though.

Zoe

That's what I figured. It is the first time I have done this. It prolly was on the default which felt like none at all.

The heart rate machine on the bike stated 160-180

The upper end is actually around what you want to be hitting during the sprints, but I would guess your intervals may be too short. You're not spending very long in that upper range, and you may not be giving your body a chance to really drop to something lower.

abuC

damn it.

okay. bah, now i feel like today is a waste =/

It's not a waste, you were there and you did something.

If you have a big enough parking lot near you, try car pushes as well, I haven't been able to sprint/car push the last two weeks because of this bastard named sciatica but car pushes melt fat off my body.

hmmm okay then.

so is there a general accepted way? I liked what was posted due to the fact that it kinda eases me in. I know if I jump in right away, I will die.

I decided to do it after leg day today which is something I would like to continue.

Squats
Leg Press
Good Mornings
Calves
HIIT

edit: okay, I will try what others have suggested. upping the resistance on the "sprint" portions. really push myself.

It's not a waste, you were there and you did something.

If you have a big enough parking lot near you, try car pushes as well, I haven't been able to sprint/car push the last two weeks because of this bastard named sciatica but car pushes melt fat off my body.

I could do that, there are a few places. Although I would be scared lol.

SeanR1221

Thanks for the links everyone, gonna def check these out.

This. I'm never doing hiit on a treadmill again. Not only does it make my knees feel like shit the increase in speed is awkward.

hmmm okay then.

so is there a general accepted way? I liked what was posted due to the fact that it kinda eases me in. I know if I jump in right away, I will die.

I decided to do it after leg day today which is something I would like to continue.

Squats
Leg Press
Good Mornings
Calves
HIIT

Looks solid. I'll also be doing hiit on a bike after squats.

abuC

I could do that, there are a few places. Although I would be scared lol.

Don't be scared, it's easy and unless there's an incline your car will stop moving on it's own. On my more beastly days, I leave the windows open so I can grab the B pillar and stop the car by pulling at it.

Matugi

Irritated today. Was supposed to be a solid leg and shoulder day but I had to get meningococcal shots and the doc doesn't want me lifting for 24 hours ::::::(

Mark1

Well if you have friends and family saying you're looking good, then that's great news! It sounds like you're meeting your goals, so you should be proud of that and look on the upside instead of thinking about whether you're min/maxing your routine.

That being said, we can probably help you out. We'll need a little more info: age, weight, height, what your program looks like, what equipment you have access to, what kinds of foods you're eating, your progress and status on the main lifts, etc.

Thanks. Good words of encouragement.

Weight: 73 kg;
Height: 5 foot 12;
Programme: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=60447525&highlight=#post60447525 (Have 3 more weeks with this programme)
I have been told by trainers my diet is good based on how my body looked, not too skinny nor too fat.

EDIT:

I am using a cheaper gym atm for only a few weeks which is basic in equipment - contains lots of machines, cardio and strength, has a free weights area as well.

Don't be scared, it's easy and unless there's an incline your car will stop moving on it's own. On my more beastly days, I leave the windows open so I can grab the B pillar and stop the car by pulling at it.

So you literally push a car across a parking lot? Put it in neutral and go? I'm assuming just pushing it from the back? How many times?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So you literally push a car across a parking lot? Put it in neutral and go? I'm assuming just pushing it from the back? How many times?

It's not too complex brah give it a go. Hope you don't drive a Cadillac.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I prefer low intensity steady state cardio when cutting. I think HIIT takes too much out of you when running a caloric deficit. I don't know why low intensity SS cardio is demonized so much.

It's not too complex brah give it a go. Hope you don't drive a Cadillac.

rofl. aight aight, I will!

I prefer low intensity steady state cardio when cutting. I think HIIT takes too much out of you when running a caloric deficit. I don't know why low intensity SS cardio is demonized so much.

I always have done LISS when it is time to cut so I figured for the next 5 weeks or so, I try doing HIIT.

I give it one week before I bitch out.

abuC

Yup, I put it in neutral and line up the steering wheel so the car will track straight. I do it 5-10 times depending on how I feel, used to do it across a really wide area but found that if I raised my intensity and ran faster I'd get a better workout since the longer distance made me dial back how hard I went. I'd say now I generally do 100m all out, started with 50m and worked my way up.

You will feel it everywhere in your body, avoid doing it on days you do legs, and bring a lot of water/gatorade.

Imm0rt4l

I haven't heard much against low intensity cardio, but hiit is more muscle sparing. Personally, I don't get the 'runners high', I dread running for long periods, but I'll do it anyways.

DominoKid

picked up some of them Quest Bars to try em out. Apple Pie and Cinnamon Roll.
they didn't have Cookie Dough at the store though and that was the main one i was looking for. is it really that good?

Cudder

picked up some of them Quest Bars to try em out. Apple Pie and Cinnamon Roll.
they didn't have Cookie Dough at the store though and that was the main one i was looking for. is it really that good?

It's pretty good in the microwave but I still think I prefer Brownie the best.

Yup, I put it in neutral and line up the steering wheel so the car will track straight. I do it 5-10 times depending on how I feel, used to do it across a really wide area but found that if I raised my intensity and ran faster I'd get a better workout since the longer distance made me dial back how hard I went. I'd say now I generally do 100m all out, started with 50m and worked my way up.

You will feel it everywhere in your body, avoid doing it on days you do legs, and bring a lot of water/gatorade.

cool thanks!

I haven't heard much against low intensity cardio, but hiit is more muscle sparing. Personally, I don't get the 'runners high', I dread running for long periods, but I'll do it anyways.

I don't think I have ever experienced a runners high.

sphinx

the piano man
taking a couple of days off really pays.. today I did 64 unassisted pull-ups, the most I've ever done, I won't lie and say every single rep was perfect but I did do the intended motion and my head passed over the bar 64 times.

blisters and calluses are pretty visible on my right hand but I don't mind, it was worth it.

SeanR1221

taking a couple of days off really pays.. today I did 64 unassisted pull-ups, the most I've ever done, I won't lie and say every single rep was perfect but I did do the intended motion and my head passed over the bar 64 times.

blisters and calluses are pretty visible on my right hand but I don't mind, it was worth it.

Nice! Also good job filling out a suit (your pics in the post pics of yourself thread)

sphinx

the piano man
Nice! Also good job filling out a suit (your pics in the post pics of yourself thread)

man, you have made my day, lol, nobody said a thing in the thread, but what you say is what I thought...or at least that's what I wanted to believe.

that for the first time ever, it was somewhat (a little bit, anyway...) visible that I go and work out, even while wearing clothes that don't show anything.

your pic after mine was also pretty cool, looking like a boss :D and your jamaica pics, such a paradise. I was in Spain and I think we both agree that being away from home is terrible for fitness, hehe, I ate like shit, didn't sleep much and barely hit the local gyms which had weird equipment, but I am back home now so I hope I can continue on my quest. 2 weeks ain't that much right?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
damn it.

okay. bah, now i feel like today is a waste =/

I made a nice weight sled out of pressure treated 2x6, made the tracks at a 45 degree angle and it will go anywhere. The thing weighs 60lbs and there's a ~1 3/4" pin in the middle to stack plates on. I use 1/4" chain and a heavy duty safety belt that has a hook attachment behind it.

abuC

Yeah mannnnnnnn

IMAG0086_zpse1ba1788.jpg

Finally got the cookie dough back at my GNC, unfortunately that cute woman that likes me hasn't been there in a while. I'm still planning on getting a discount through her.

Hey Guys/Gals.

I've finally reached my fat loss goal. I went from being 240 lbs with about no muscle at all, to approximately 136 lbs. I am obviously way too damn small and I want to gain muscle and probably get to a healthy weight.

I'm 6'0" and am a 26 year old male.

I also broke vegetarianism and am consuming meat again.

I'm going to follow the starting strength guide with a few modifications to suit the workouts I enjoy a little more, but that's generally my goal.

Anyone have any tips for someone this small? Any weight to me at all is muscle. I typically have been doing 40-50 pushups + 60-100 situps and other body exercises all the time, but I consumed no protein as a vegetarian. Almost all carbs.

I got some protein powder and I started mixing it with milk. Is this stuff actually useful? I got 100% iso protein.

ACE 1991

Hey Guys/Gals.

I've finally reached my fat loss goal. I went from being 240 lbs with about no muscle at all, to approximately 136 lbs. I am obviously way too damn small and I want to gain muscle and probably get to a healthy weight.

I'm 6'0" and am a 26 year old male.

I also broke vegetarianism and am consuming meat again.

I'm going to follow the starting strength guide with a few modifications to suit the workouts I enjoy a little more, but that's generally my goal.

Anyone have any tips for someone this small? Any weight to me at all is muscle. I typically have been doing 40-50 pushups + 60-100 situps and other body exercises all the time, but I consumed no protein as a vegetarian. Almost all carbs.

I got some protein powder and I started mixing it with milk. Is this stuff actually useful? I got 100% iso protein.

The rule of thumb is about 1-1.5x grams of protein per pound of body weight for muscle growth. You should also not change the Starting Strength routine at all, at least for the first couple of months. You're probably going to need to start eating a lot more if you want to start gaining weight, though.

Trying to eat as much as I can without getting sick. at about 2500 cal/day now, i guess I'll need over 3000? I was eating under 1500 on most days before.

grumble

Thanks. Good words of encouragement.

Weight: 73 kg;
Height: 5 foot 12;
Programme: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=60447525&highlight=#post60447525 (Have 3 more weeks with this programme)
I have been told by trainers my diet is good based on how my body looked, not too skinny nor too fat.

EDIT:

I am using a cheaper gym atm for only a few weeks which is basic in equipment - contains lots of machines, cardio and strength, has a free weights area as well.

Well your next steps depend a lot on your goals. If I were you, I'd switch programs; the one you're on would be difficult to progress on systematically. I could go into more detail f you'd like, but a split with doing rounds for time and high reps will be hard to progress on. Explore something with a lower rep range and a better progression system, like the routine in the op. you'll gain muscle a lot faster that way. If your body weight stuff is important to you though we could explore compromising a bit on the weights to ensure you keep your bw stuff going. You're also fairly light for your height, and may need to eat a bit more to sustain your progress on a more aggressive routine.

Hilti92

Ok guys, read the starting strength workout at the beginning of the thread and have a few questions. The workout is as follows:
Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

That is 3 days a week and I like going 5, what do I do on my other 2 days? Does it matter/will it effect the workout plan? I am only skinny and trying to gain mass. Also, do I just do the workouts it says on those days or can I add my own stuff because I typically go for an hour and I feel like the stuff given will only take 20-30 minutes.

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 143lbs

grumble

Ok guys, read the starting strength workout at the beginning of the thread and have a few questions. The workout is as follows:
Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

That is 3 days a week and I like going 5, what do I do on my other 2 days? Does it matter/will it effect the workout plan? I am only skinny and trying to gain mass. Also, do I just do the workouts it says on those days or can I add my own stuff because I typically go for an hour and I feel like the stuff given will only take 20-30 minutes.

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 143lbs

It will not take 20-30 minutes. By the end of y progression, I was in the gym for over an hour guaranteed. Don't add anything, at least for a couple of months. If you need to go more often for your mental health, do hiit and go home. More sessions for a novice will not improve progress.

ZeroRay

I'd say just stick to the program.

In fact, I'd take the pullups, ab, and arm work out for now. Your workouts may go quick initially, but as you go up in weight, it gets absolutely brutal and the recovery time gets absolutely necessary. Just stick to getting form right on the main lifts.

Eat a lot and follow the program and you should gain mass. I gained 10lbs in a month!

Hilti92

I'd say just stick to the program.

In fact, I'd take the pullups, ab, and arm work out for now. Your workouts may go quick initially, but as you go up in weight, it gets absolutely brutal and the recovery time gets absolutely necessary. Just stick to getting form right on the main lifts.

Eat a lot and follow the program and you should gain mass. I gained 10lbs in a month!

How exactly does the program work for gains? I didn't see in the OP how I determine what to lift and when to add. I must have missed it.

ZeroRay

How exactly does the program work for gains? I didn't see in the OP how I determine what to lift and when to add. I must have missed it.

The first routine in the OP isn't the beginner routine from Starting Strength, but is heavily influenced by it. Buy the book to get all the explanations you need, and then some! But simply put, squats and deadlifts are the best exercises to gain strength/size.

Both the OP and SS is based on linear progression. Simply put, you find the weight required on each lift that starts to degrade your form, then you work upwards from there. Increase weight on the squat and deadlift by 10 each new session, 5 on OHP and bench.

There are way more people in this thread that can explain it better than me though. :p

Hilti92

The first routine in the OP isn't the beginner routine from Starting Strength, but is heavily influenced by it. Buy the book to get all the explanations you need, and then some! But simply put, squats and deadlifts are the best exercises to gain strength/size.

Both the OP and SS is based on linear progression. Simply put, you find the weight required on each lift that starts to degrade your form, then you work upwards from there. Increase weight on the squat and deadlift by 10 each new session, 5 on OHP and bench.

There are way more people in this thread that can explain it better than me though. :p

What do you mean by the lift that starts degrading your form? As in you start to fail at the end of the set or what?

duxstar

So I started the Beginner program for Monday since I'm not entirely sure how to do "power cleans" safely, or even if they can be done on a smith machine (I hate my gym they have no barbells, but its 10 bux a month and open 24 hours)

Heres the starting numbers for me, i weigh ~230 pounds so I dunno how good they are, probably pretty crappy

Squat - 175
Bench Press - 155
Deadlift - 155
Underhand pulldown - 100

I guess it's start, Definitely going to add weight to the Bench Press, and Deadlift next week, I just dont know if I'm "doing" Deadlifts right, have to research the correct form,

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone have any good healthy snack recipes (particularly during a cut)?

I just made some protein ice cream. It's delicious, and more importantly, really filling.

First you mix the following ingredients in a bowl or blender:

1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 cup protein powder (I use Elite Gourmet's chocolate peanut butter flavor)
3 teaspoons light brown sugar

Then leave in the freezer for an hour or two.

Calories: 260
Fat: 1.2 g
Sugar: 23 g
Protein: 32.5 g

Like I said, tastes really good. Of course, you can be even more creative with it, adding other kinds of sweeteners or fruit or whatever.

kylej

Banned
So I started the Beginner program for Monday since I'm not entirely sure how to do "power cleans" safely, or even if they can be done on a smith machine (I hate my gym they have no barbells, but its 10 bux a month and open 24 hours)

? No barbells at all? They don't have free weight benches? I'd leave the gym.

kikanny

Anyone have any good healthy snack recipes (particularly during a cut)?

I just made some protein ice cream. It's delicious, and more importantly, really filling.

First you mix the following ingredients in a bowl or blender:

1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 cup protein powder (I use Elite Gourmet's chocolate peanut butter flavor)
3 teaspoons light brown sugar

Calories: 260
Fat: 1.2 g
Sugar: 23 g
Protein: 32.5 g

Like I said, tastes really good. Of course, you can be even more creative with it, adding other kinds of sweeteners or fruit or whatever.
This cheesecake recipe is absolutely fantastic: http://dhftns.com/the-best-protein-cheesecake-recipe-135g-protein-11g-fat/
It was part of my post workout dinner tonight:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom