• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
could be worse. I have UC and even in remission I have 8 BMs a day, every day. Prior to getting it under control I had 20-30 a day and was losing a cup of blood at least every day for 2 years. Helped me lose my extra weight though.

I'm never going to complain about it again. ever.

SeanR1221

could be worse. I have UC and even in remission I have 8 BMs a day, every day. Prior to getting it under control I had 20-30 a day and was losing a cup of blood at least every day for 2 years. Helped me lose my extra weight though.

Jesus that sounds terrible!

Can I also say BBB deads has given me the worst doms of my life. My lower back is so ungodly sore when I sit. Save me foam roller!

blackflag

Blah I want to start my cut but my plan isn't completed yet. He did say it would take up to 7 days to build it after I fill out the big questionnaire but fuarkkkkk.

bro1

Banned
Jesus that sounds terrible!

Can I also say BBB deads has given me the worst doms of my life. My lower back is so ungodly sore when I sit. Save me foam roller!

Yeah it wasn't fun. Thank god I work from home and can work from the can with calls on mute. I get an IV infusion of a drug called Remicade every few weeks that takes care of it and allows me to only go 8 times a day. Of course the drugs main side effect is lymphoma cancer but I don't shit myself.

As for DOMS, I can't even do legs anymore without being in pain for days. With all of the running, swimming, and cycling I do I stopped legs entirely.

my legs feel sore after the "HIIT" session I did yesterday. I am excited to try again next week though.

Mon - Off
Tues - OHP + accessory
Wed - Squats + accessory + HIIT
Thur - Insanity Abs
Fri - Decline bench + accessory
Sat - Deads + accessory + Insanity Abs
Sun - Off

For the next 5 weeks or so.

bro1

Banned
my legs feel sore after the "HIIT" session I did yesterday. I am excited to try again next week though.

Mon - Off
Tues - OHP + accessory
Wed - Squats + accessory + HIIT
Thur - Insanity Abs
Fri - Decline + accessory
Sat - Deads + accessory + Insanity Abs
Sun - Off

For the next 5 weeks or so.

What do you mean by "Decline"? Is that Bench?

bro1

Banned
yeah, edited the post to reflect that

oh man decline, why you so good?

#gainzgainzgainz

I do decline too but I also typically do incline, flat, and dips on chest day.

I've been doing seated press recently and am shocked at how much stronger I am then standing. really can't get over the poundage difference.

rando14

I do decline too but I also typically do incline, flat, and dips on chest day.

I've been doing seated press recently and am shocked at how much stronger I am then standing. really can't get over the poundage difference.

When you do press sitting you can cheat, is why

Ekdrm2d1

Got a question.

My boss patted (hard pat) on my back and was amazed. Said something like "wow! You're like a brick back there."

I've never heard that expression in regards to somebody's back. That's a good thing, right?
Like saying "rock hard abs."

What was he feeling then? Muscles or the over-all condition of my back?

Thanks

Started taking Jack3d this week. As somebody that used just black coffee as a pre workout, I love it. Gives me that pump all throughout the day too. I feel like going back to the gym again today and lift, but I already am overdoing it like mad.

Mark1

I'd recommend the routine in the OP, as written. It will quickly and aggressively build a foundation of strength and muscle that will make you look and feel like a different person. You'll need to eat for it, and remember to add a bit of weight every time you do a movement (starting with 10lbs for squat and dl and 5 pounds for everything else aside from chins/pulls, starting weights should be fairly low/easy). If you stall three times on a movement, reset it by 20% and build back up. You might like the book 'starting strength' as well, which is a great resource on how to do the lifts correctly.
What do you mean by adding weight every time you do a movement?

Also, anyone know of easy ways to eat a good source of protein for snacks (no whey protein shakes)? It is quite tricky to eat roughly 155 grams of it.

agrajag

Banned
haven't worked out in about a week due to being extra busy at work and being ill. Going back tonight and worried that I lost all my gainz

Szu

Got a question.

My boss patted (hard pat) on my back and was amazed. Said something like "wow! You're like a brick back there."

I've never heard that expression in regards to somebody's back. That's a good thing, right?

Thanks

My guess is the overall condition.

Looking forward to incoming sexual harassment suit.

Ekdrm2d1

My guess is the overall condition.

Looking forward to incoming sexual harassment suit.

lol.

Yeah, the over all condition is my thoughts as well. I did not think my back is all that muscular (to the point where he would notice on a single pat.)

Thanks for the reply!

SeanR1221

Got a question.

Thanks

With so many people focused on arms and chest, a well muscled back/traps/delts is a rare sight in your average Joe IMO.

I could be way off but I feel like if you have a big back/shoulders its a major sign of strength.

SeanR1221

And speaking of backs, it's definitely my favorite part of my wife now that she lifts. A nice defined back. Mmmpf

5D097E07-8F71-4CFE-894E-F5AD9AD9CDA6-969-00000065B6AC96C1_zps8a17c1dc.jpg

With so many people focused on arms and chest, a well muscled back/traps/delts is a rare sight in your average Joe IMO.

So true. Also it's pretty jarring, once you start noticing the muscle imbalance on people.

It's almost like people equate that hunched shoulder look to being "big".
Rather sad.

bro1

Banned
Put together my home gym. I am picking up this weekend from craigslist an extra free standing bench and another Olympic set. Should be interesting transporting it in my mini

MjFrancis

I like your dip stand, and home gym set up in general. Maybe I'll take a picture of my sanctuary when I get there.

How often do you ride your bike?

I just noticed this on the left - is that padding duct taped onto your Olympic bar?

bro1

Banned
I like your dip stand, and home gym set up in general. Maybe I'll take a picture of my sanctuary when I get there.

I just noticed this on the left - is that padding duct taped onto your Olympic bar?

yeah, I bruise like a peach due to my meds, so I stuck that on there and also put grip tape on the bars too.

I ride 20 miles every other day most weeks.

MjFrancis

Building a home gym can seem like a never ending journey. If you're continuing to purchase stuff with what you have already, you probably know what I mean. I was constantly buying things up and and reselling to get what I have now.

Detox

Apart from shoving your knees out what else can you do to get lower on squats? I always go slightly above parallel, though without weights I can do it perfectly fine. Could it just be the weight and maybe I need to reduce it?

Tash

I would totally love if more of you guys who have a home gym would post pictures. As mentioned before, we are moving into our new house on the 5th of July and want to put together a home gym as well.

bro1

Banned
Building a home gym can seem like a never ending journey. If you're continuing to purchase stuff with what you have already, you probably know what I mean. I was constantly buying things up and and reselling to get what I have now.

Yeah, it hasn't been too bad. I need to buy a power cage but my floor isn't flat. I've sold a combo pullup/dip station to go solo stations.

bro1

Banned
I would totally love if more of you guys who have a home gym would post pictures. As mentioned before, we are moving into our new house on the 5th of July and want to put together a home gym as well.

Buy used if you can and buy quality. You will end up buying twice if you skimp on quality. Also, don't bother buying 35lb weights and get adjustable dumbbells above 40 lbs as they get very expensive.

Zoe

Apart from shoving your knees out what else can you do to get lower on squats? I always go slightly above parallel, though without weights I can do it perfectly fine. Could it just be the weight and maybe I need to reduce it?

If you can't hit parallel with just your body weight, then it's something in your technique or flexibility. If you can, then yes, you need to reduce your weight.

SeanR1221

Just reposting this because IDK how to fix it. I guess stick my ass out more? As soon as I throw weight on my back I can't keep my core stiff. I fall apart. I drop down like an asshole. This is so frustrating.

It looks like you're starting the movement with your knees, instead of your hips. Pretend like you're trying to sit in a chair.

bro1

Banned
Just reposting this because IDK how to fix it. I guess stick my ass out more? As soon as I throw weight on my back I can't keep my core stiff. I fall apart. I drop down like an asshole. This is so frustrating.

Slow it down there first of all. Make sure your legs are far enough apart, squeeze your traps up prior to getting under, when you are in place make sure you have a good grip on the bar, and then come down under control.

On the way up, drive up by using your hips. You want your hips to almost pop foward but not really.

Noema

Your upper back is loose from the moment you unrack the bar. That why you can't keep lumbar extension.

It's anatomically impossible for your lower back to round if your upper back is tight. Before you unrack the bar, put it on your shoulder, grab it like you normally would and then take the narrowest grip you can. This will force your scapulae to retract increasing your upper back tightness.

Then (at this point you haven't unracked the bar yet) pull your chest up. Raise your nipples. Think that you are trying to point your nipples at the wall. You should feel your spinal erectors contracting. That should be your cue.

When everything is tight, then unrack the bar, take a deep breath and squat. On the way up, lead with your chest. Imagine pointing your nipples forward.

And stop staring at the mirror.

On the way up, drive up by using your hips. You want your hips to almost pop foward but not really.

He's doing high bar squats. He shouldn't be driving out of the hole with his hips.

grumble

Yeah, that's significant rounding and not safe. Let's fix it!

First off, slow your descent. You're diving into the bottom, which will cause you to loosen up your hamstrings and round your back. A measured, controlled pace is better.

Second, do a squat stretch before you do your reps. Get in the squat position, arch your lower back and stretch out your hips, hamstrings and adductors. Really shove your hips back and rotate your pelvis forward. Make sure your knees are wide enough apart to fit your torso when you're at the bottom (hard to see from this vid).

Then you'll need practice. Go slowly down with a tight upper and lower back, feel the hamstring tension from being stretched by your back pulling your hips forward. In the hole, you should feel a 'bounce' off your hamstrings and adductors as they get even more stretched while you deliberately force your lower back to arch. You're not sitting 'down' between your legs, you're sitting 'back', as if a chair is just slightly too far behind you.

Try that a couple of times then film yourself again and get back to us! Good luck, you'll be squatting stacks of iron with perfect form in no time.

abuC

I agree. Reminds me of The Unit on the Jersey Shore, who I find has a pretty bad physique

Jonny_The_Unit_Manfre_Jersey_Shore.jpg

Those Jersey shore dudes are all roided out to begin with, there's a video of The Situation struggling with some pretty mediocre weights, and Ronnie didn't even know how to do rows.

Those Jersey shore dudes are all roided out to begin with, there's a video of The Situation struggling with some pretty mediocre weights, and Ronnie didn't even know how to do rows.

They have pretty terrible aesthetic's imo. Look imbalanced and muscles and cuts not in proportion.

Noema

It's the typical "train only arms chest shoulder traps upper back in isolation" look for people who want to look strong without really being strong.

A thin neck, underdeveloped lower back and chicken legs are usually the giveaways, since those body parts are hard to train without heavy compound lifts.

Imm0rt4l

On one of the first episodes Ronnie was talking about how just a few weeks ago he was skinny as hell. He the proceeds to make fun of vinnies phisique. Ronnie was looking real skinny now last I've seen of him. Must have hopped off the bike.

Those guys aren't real lifters. Dom mazettis bro science bids reminds me of them.

It's the typical "train only arms chest shoulder traps upper back in isolation" look for people who want to look strong without really being strong.

A thin neck, underdeveloped lower back and chicken legs are usually the giveaways, since those body parts are hard to train without heavy compound lifts.

There is nothing worse than that rounded shoulder look that gives off the hunch look. Makes guys look like old men and makes it obvious that they don't train their rear delts.

Ekdrm2d1

I could be way off but I feel like if you have a big back/shoulders its a major sign of strength.

Awesome posting! :)

I don't focus on my traps though. I'm not into muscular traps, not my thing. I do have muscle there, just because it comes with the territory of surroundng areas, but I don't focus on it.
Edit: Also my mom and my personal trainer tell me have a muscular back. It's nice, I like it.

And speaking of backs, it's definitely my favorite part of my wife now that she lifts. A nice defined back. Mmmpf

Aww. Good picture dude :)

Traps are my only problem point. My entire body is built but those fucking traps are a bitch and I work my back out hard. I think its a genetic thing at this point as Iv'e been working out for 15 years.

Hilti92

20-30 minutes?

You have to add 5lb to upper body lifts and 10lb to lower body lifts every workout..

After 6 weeks you'll be lucky if your warmups for squats take 20 minutes. You'll be crawling out of the gym thankful that's all you have to do. Trust me.

Don't change anything, don't add your own stuff. That's the biggest mistake you can make. Drink your milk, do your squats, keep adding weight to the bar. You'll get bigger and stronger. I promise.

If you modify Starting Strength then it's not Starting Strength. I recommend you do Starting Strength as it is.

How do I determine where to start each weight at?

Tash

How do I determine where to start each weight at?

It should be hard to get to the last rep. At least that's how I check what weights to use. Might be a bit of trial and error at the start. No shame in putting weights on or taking it off at the start :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom