• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikanny

Also I have to say, learning to cook definitely makes life easier. After years of eating just chicken and broccoli on a cut, eating nothing but pancakes and cheesecakes now is quite....refreshing.

Matugi

Also I have to say, learning to cook definitely makes life easier. After years of eating just chicken and broccoli on a cut, eating nothing but pancakes and cheesecakes now is quite....refreshing.

I feel you on the pancakes part. Gotta try out that cheesecake recipe though. I can finally have desert for dinner and not feel ashamed!

ToxicAdam

83339377.jpg

Noema

Ok guys, read the starting strength workout at the beginning of the thread and have a few questions. The workout is as follows:
Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

That is 3 days a week and I like going 5, what do I do on my other 2 days? Does it matter/will it effect the workout plan? I am only skinny and trying to gain mass. Also, do I just do the workouts it says on those days or can I add my own stuff because I typically go for an hour and I feel like the stuff given will only take 20-30 minutes.

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 143lbs

20-30 minutes?

You have to add 5lb to upper body lifts and 10lb to lower body lifts every workout..

After 6 weeks you'll be lucky if your warmups for squats take 20 minutes. You'll be crawling out of the gym thankful that's all you have to do. Trust me.

Don't change anything, don't add your own stuff. That's the biggest mistake you can make. Drink your milk, do your squats, keep adding weight to the bar. You'll get bigger and stronger. I promise.

I'm going to follow the starting strength guide with a few modifications to suit the workouts I enjoy a little more, but that's generally my goal.

If you modify Starting Strength then it's not Starting Strength. I recommend you do Starting Strength as it is.

despire

Ok guys, read the starting strength workout at the beginning of the thread and have a few questions. The workout is as follows:

That is 3 days a week and I like going 5, what do I do on my other 2 days? Does it matter/will it effect the workout plan? I am only skinny and trying to gain mass. Also, do I just do the workouts it says on those days or can I add my own stuff because I typically go for an hour and I feel like the stuff given will only take 20-30 minutes.

You don't. The program works as is. Any extra shit is just going to make things harder.

Noema

I usually spend my off days in fetal position, sucking on my thumb, hoping that next week's squats aren't real, that they are just a bad dream.

WorldStar

Banned
watched Pumping Iron again today, for the 1000000th time

today was a rest day but watching it made me have to hit up the gym

motivational as fuck

are there any other good bodybuilding movies? probably the only one I've ever seen

Noema

motivational as fuck

are there any other good bodybuilding movies? probably the only one I've ever seen

Have you watched Raw Iron?

It's a bunch of Out-takes from Pumping Iron+behind the scenes stuff, interviews and "where are they now" stuff. It ain't bad.

There's also Bigger, Stronger, faster. Not exactly about Bodybuilding; it's more about Steroid use, abuse and myths. But it's still required viewing.

WorldStar

Banned
Have you watched Raw Iron?

It's a bunch of Out-takes from Pumping Iron+behind the scenes stuff, interviews and "where are they now" stuff. It ain't bad.

There's also Bigger, Stronger, faster. Not exactly about Bodybuilding; it's more about Steroid use, abuse and myths. But it's still required viewing.

Seen Bigger, Stronger, Faster. Good shit.

I have not seen Raw Iron. Gonna have to check that out, sounds very interesting.

Nelo Ice

Banned
nice to see dhftns getting popular

Hey shouldnt you be in the offseason thread :p

This isn't the NBA thread! Well I haven't watched like any of the Conference Finals. And besides that I don't have much to look forward to since we have no draft pick and of course Dwight may want to leave.

Pretty sure twofowld posted this along with more sites. Thanks to him/her for introducing so many great recipe resources.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60999017&postcount=12126

Noema

I freaking love Pumping Iron, by the way.

Back when men where men, men wore short shorts and professional bodybuilders actually looked like humans.

Noema

Back when bodybuilders could do unassisted pullups, unlike -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN7XXCDqzVg

I think someone forgot to tell him that adding more weight to the stack makes it easier. :p It's not surprising he can't do unassisted pull-ups. I mean, the guy is like 5'6" and weighs like 300lb at 5% body fat. It's insane. He probably has constant joint pain from having to carry all that weight.

He makes 1970's bodybuilders look emaciated.

I find Jay Cutler training videos oddly mesmerizing. You get the impression that he just wanders around the gym aimlessly and just does whatever looks fun with awful form and he grows no matter what due to his insane combination of genetics+enough roids to bulk up a Blue Whale.

DominoKid

started whey protein (Optimum Nutrition) drinks today...i feel like i'm about to bust from adding just 2 to my normal diet. i want to hit 3/day but i'll have to build up to that i guess.
5'4" 130-135, trying to get up to 145ish. after that i'm not sure how my frame would look w/ more than that so i just want to get to that point.

Back when bodybuilders could do unassisted pullups, unlike -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN7XXCDqzVg

what the fuck lol

abuC

I think someone forgot to tell him that adding more weight to the stack makes it easier. :p It's not surprising he can't do unassisted pull-ups. I mean, the guy is like 5'6" and weighs like 300lb at 5% body fat. It's insane. He probably has constant joint pain from having to carry all that weight.

He makes 1970's bodybuilders look emaciated.

I find Jay Cutler training videos oddly mesmerizing. You get the impression that he just wanders around the gym aimlessly and just does whatever looks fun with awful form and he grows no matter what due to his insane combination of genetics+enough roids to bulk up a Blue Whale.

LOL, good point about him just wandering around, I watch his videos as well and he's always just dragging his work bag around and looking around aimlessly trying to figure out what he wants to do next.

Tash

Finally got my cookie dough quest bars. You guys weren't lying. Thanks god..100 pieces would have gone to total waste if it would have been the suck...

Re: Pumping Iron
I can't un-see/un-hear Arnies Voice when he compares working out to sex/orgasm

I followed your tip and dropped the gloves. I might get calluses from the bar since the part where you are supposed to grab have quite rough edges but I guess I just have to "man-up" or I need to read up how other girls deal with that. I also found this site to work on my grip strength.

Oh also, I was bench pressing the same weight as the guy next to me yesterday (not that much, added 5kg to each side and not sure how heavy the bar itself is) but I felt like this while doing so:

h1C23B96C

Mark1

Well your next steps depend a lot on your goals. If I were you, I'd switch programs; the one you're on would be difficult to progress on systematically. I could go into more detail f you'd like, but a split with doing rounds for time and high reps will be hard to progress on. Explore something with a lower rep range and a better progression system, like the routine in the op. you'll gain muscle a lot faster that way. If your body weight stuff is important to you though we could explore compromising a bit on the weights to ensure you keep your bw stuff going. You're also fairly light for your height, and may need to eat a bit more to sustain your progress on a more aggressive routine.
Body weight stuff isn't that important for me. What programme would you recommend?

despire

Decided to add incline bench to my routine as laid out in GSLP "Mass Gain Base with Rotating Lifts" template.

Basically means that instead of alternating between the press and flat bench press I alternate everyday between the press and flat bench/incline bench so progress is a bit slower on those two. Also planning on doin T-Bar Rows and curls on the Bench days and weighed chins and curls on press days. Also shrugs on deadlift days.

So basically goes like this:
A
Incline Bench / Flat Bench 5x, 5x, 5+
Squats 5x, 5x, 5+
T-bar row 2x6-8
Curls 2x12

B
Press 5x, 5x, 5+
Deadlift 5+
Chin ups w/ weight 2x6-8
Shrugs 4x12

C
Squats 5x, 5x, 5+
T-Bar Row 2x6-8
Curls 2x12

A
Press 5x, 5x, 5+
Squats 5x, 5x, 5+
Chin ups w/ weight 2x6-8
Curls 2x12

B
Deadlift 5+
T-Bar Row 2x6-8
Shrugs 4x12

C
Press 5x, 5x, 5+
Squats 5x, 5x, 5+
Chin ups w/ weight 2x6-8
Curls 2x12

etc..

Does it look good? Mainly worried if I'm rowing/doing chin ups too often?

sphinx

the piano man
Finally got my cookie dough quest bars. You guys weren't lying. Thanks god..100 pieces would have gone to total waste if it would have been the suck...

Tash, you are in Norway, right? How or where did you find quest bars? or did you just buy them at a higher price? I am in Germany and I have only found extremely expensive options.

any help regarding getting quest bars in Europe at a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated! :)

Tash

Tash, you are in Norway, right? How or where did you find quest bars? or did you just buy them at a higher price? I am in Germany and I have only found extremely expensive options.

any help regarding getting quest bars in Europe at a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated! :)

Unfortunately I did not find any European options :(
A friend of mine has a PO Box and address/service which allows him to order within the states and then they ship it to him. It WAS expensive though..I have to ask him since he does not want me to pay for the bars (I will though).

But yeah, no easy or cheap way to get them here in Europe. -.-
(sorry :()

sphinx

the piano man
Unfortunately I did not find any European options :(
A friend of mine has a PO Box and address/service which allows him to order within the states and then they ship it to him. It WAS expensive though..I have to ask him since he does not want me to pay for the bars (I will though).

But yeah, no easy or cheap way to get them here in Europe. -.-
(sorry :()

yeah, thought so :/ thanks anyway,

I also have a friend in the states with PO box but I don't know if I should bother him with such things.

you know, for a time I was thinking about posting here and openly ask everyone who has access to the GNC discounted bars if they could buy them and send them to me. I rather pay extra to a fellow fitgaffer than to any crappy ebay or amazon account but making people go out of their way to send stuff to random strangers in other continents, even with everything paid and a little extra "thank you" isn't very realistic, besides sending money over the internet to people I don't trust is a recipe for fraud... so I am stuck here.

Tash

yeah, thought so :/ thanks anyway,

I also have a friend in the states with PO box but I don't know if I should bother him with such things.

you know, for a time I was thinking about posting here and openly ask everyone who has access to the GNC discounted bars if they could buy them and send them to me. I rather pay extra to a fellow fitgaffer than to any crappy ebay or amazon account but making people go out of their way to send stuff to random strangers in other continents, even with everything paid and a little extra "thank you" isn't very realistic, besides sending money over the internet to people I don't trust is a recipe for fraud... so I am stuck here.

I know how that feels :(
I even felt like bugging my rl friend here but luckily he is a fitness buff and was more than happy to order a whole bunch of boxes. Also, he is not that for money which is a nice additional :)

twofold

Pretty sure twofowld posted this along with more sites. Thanks to him/her for introducing so many great recipe resources.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60999017&postcount=12126

I’m glad people are finding the recipe sites useful. Nobody commented on my posts, so I thought people weren’t interested.

Anyone have any good healthy snack recipes (particularly during a cut)?

At the moment, I have three go to recipes that are more than satisfying my sweet tooth.

The first one;

100g fat free cottage cheese
One scoop of whey protein
One tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter

Throw it in a big bowl and mix with a fork. Add some sweetener or cocoa powder if you like.

Macros are -

275~ calories
38g~ protein
10g~ fat
10g~ carbs

Alternatively, can use 30g of peanut flour instead of peanut butter. Macros with peanut flour are -

300~ calories
50g~ protein
17g~ carbs
7g~ fat

I like crunchy peanut butter too much to use peanut flour, though, even though the macros are better.

—

The second one;

250g fat free greek yoghurt
100g strawberries/berries
One scoop of vanilla whey protein

Cut the strawberries/berries into quarters. Mix them in with the vanilla whey and the yoghurt. Add some sweetener or cocoa powder if you like.

Macros are -

275~ calories
43g~ protein
21g~ carbs
2g~ fat

—

The final little treat is Martin Berkhan’s protein fluff. This stuff is incredible.

100g frozen berries
One scoop of casein protein (vanilla tastes best to me)
100ml of skim milk
0.5g of xantham gum

Put everything in a stand mixer for 10 minutes. Eat! Easy.

Macros are -

160~ calories
27g~ protein
1g~ fat
12g~ carbs

This stuff is so filling, it’s unbelievable. Perfect for cutting. I usually struggle to finish it off.

—

My trutein got delivered this morning and, holy shit, this stuff tastes so fucking good. I think I’m going to order a tub of the vanilla as well. It tastes a lot nicer than Myprotein’s stuff.

Szu

motivational as fuck

There was a "sequel", but I'll just leave it at that.
517S8SP313L.jpg

grumble

Body weight stuff isn't that important for me. What programme would you recommend?

I'd recommend the routine in the OP, as written. It will quickly and aggressively build a foundation of strength and muscle that will make you look and feel like a different person. You'll need to eat for it, and remember to add a bit of weight every time you do a movement (starting with 10lbs for squat and dl and 5 pounds for everything else aside from chins/pulls, starting weights should be fairly low/easy). If you stall three times on a movement, reset it by 20% and build back up. You might like the book 'starting strength' as well, which is a great resource on how to do the lifts correctly.

SeanR1221

I'm strictly counting everything now, until this bloat goes away. I've also had (warning:eek:ver share)
diarrhea multiple times everyday since I got back
:/ feels bad man.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm strictly counting everything now, until this bloat goes away. I've also had (warning:eek:ver share)

I have a rotten transition like that whenever I pick back up keto. Makes me doubt my choice.

Vio-Lence

Banned

Your gastro issues could be related to returning home from a 3rd world country. My digestive track is always fucked when I get back from Mexico or whatever after a week +.

SeanR1221

Your gastro issues could be related to returning home from a 3rd world country. My digestive track is always fucked when I get back from Mexico or whatever after a week +.

Yeah I'm having a tough time processing much and I'm pretty much just eating chicken, eggs, vegetables and rice.

bro1

Banned
Yeah I'm having a tough time processing much and I'm pretty much just eating chicken, eggs, vegetables and rice.

could be worse. I have UC and even in remission I have 8 BMs a day, every day. Prior to getting it under control I had 20-30 a day and was losing a cup of blood at least every day for 2 years. Helped me lose my extra weight though.

could be worse. I have UC and even in remission I have 8 BMs a day, every day. Prior to getting it under control I had 20-30 a day and was losing a cup of blood at least every day for 2 years. Helped me lose my extra weight though.

The only thing my friend found to control his UC was nicotine. Horrible condition to have to put up with.

Man, I feel your pain bro. Since yesterday morning, I've probably used the bathroom 12+ times and I still feel bloated. I don't know if I have IBS or maybe greasy food is doing this to me, but my stomach is always upset since my highschool days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom