• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

How do I determine where to start each weight at?

From the Starting Strength Wiki FAQ:

"The weight you use is going to be determined by the amount you can do for 5 repetitions with proper execution and technique.

The way the "first day" is explained in Starting Strength, the trainee warms up with the bar, then adds a bit of weight and does a set of 5. The bar speed will be identical from set to set. Continue to add weight and do sets of 5 until the speed of the barbell begins to slow.. Keep the weight there and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets of 5" workout for that exercise.

Yes, this is low. It allows for a certain fudge factor that is present when dealing with a novice's ability to evaluate his own technical performance.

Generally, if a newb says "I benched 135 x 5 for the first time, my technique was great!", what he really means is that "I benched 135 x 5, but I probably should've only used about 120 or 125"

Be on the safe side, start lighter than you think you need to, and go from there. This also helps develop a base of conditioning with slightly less weight than absolute max, which helps reduce initial DOMS.

Let me say that once again.

Start off using weight that is LOWER than you think you can handle, and progress upward. It is better to use weight that is too light than weight that is too heavy."

WorldStar

Banned
Okay guys my biggest fitness pet peeve in the whole fucking world is when I'm talking to someone about joining a gym/started to lift and they say "I'm not really interested in lifting weights because I don't want to get too big. The bodybuilders I see in magazines look gross."

They seem to believe that if you have never stepped foot in a gym before, as soon as you do and lift a barbell you will be transformed into:

tumblr_m8tazjWBaS1rsfpbpo1_400.jpg

This shit drives me crazy.

okay, /endrant

Vio-Lence

Banned
Okay guys my biggest fitness pet peeve in the whole fucking world is when I'm talking to someone about joining a gym/started to lift and they say "I'm not really interested in lifting weights because I don't want to get too big.

I already trolled the gym thread with this one.

SeanR1221

I already trolled the gym thread with this one.

Had a guy at the gym say something similar. I was between deadlift sets and he randomly comes up to me and tell me he bikes but just started lifting and loves it (!!!!!!). I was like oh that's neat.

Then he goes on how he wants to get toned, not big. I just shrugged and said you won't get big, don't worry.

sphinx

the piano man
when I read fitness or nutrition related threads in the OT forum, it seems like there is a neogaf sub-community of gym goers that never comes in here and takes the opportunity to appear all of a sudden and say all sorts of crazy things. weird.

then can't have missed this thread, right? well maybe now that we got moved to this sub-sub-community place.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Today's the day. gonna shoot for a PR today to see how well I can do it. A weight once thought unimaginable by me - and I'm gonna slaughter that pig.

I'll be back here in tears if shit goes south but I'm psyched. Psyched!

Vio-Lence

Banned
Today's the day. gonna shoot for a PR today to see how well I can do it. A weight once thought unimaginable by me - and I'm gonna slaughter that pig.

I'll be back here in tears if shit goes south but I'm psyched. Psyched!

you can't hype it up and not tell us what it is brah.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
you can't hype it up and not tell us what it is brah.

modest stuff for a lot of you. bench 240. When I started I could only do 1 rep at 150, and that felt like moving a mountain. Ain't much to a lot of you but it's a lot to me.

when I read fitness or nutrition related threads in the OT forum, it seems like there is a neogaf sub-community of gym goers that never comes in here and takes the opportunity to appear all of a sudden and say all sorts of crazy things. weird.

then can't have missed this thread, right? well maybe now that we got moved to this sub-sub-community place.

Maybe cause people here call them crazy.

It is a combination of things where some of it people not being informed and a bit of this thread can be standoffish. I totally see where Zoe is coming from.

DominoKid

Okay guys my biggest fitness pet peeve in the whole fucking world is when I'm talking to someone about joining a gym/started to lift and they say "I'm not really interested in lifting weights because I don't want to get too big. The bodybuilders I see in magazines look gross."

They seem to believe that if you have never stepped foot in a gym before, as soon as you do and lift a barbell you will be transformed into:

okay, /endrant

that's what happened to me! i had to walk sideways through doors.

Kyaw

modest stuff for a lot of you. bench 240. When I started I could only do 1 rep at 150, and that felt like moving a mountain. Ain't much to a lot of you but it's a lot to me.

You got this man!

It's not about other people, it's about beating yourself.

sphinx

the piano man
It is a combination of things where some of it people not being informed and a bit of this thread can be standoffish. I totally see where Zoe is coming from.

I think the thread can get a bit too fundamentalist at times but nothing that should keep anyone from coming and talking about the subject, I mean, this is an internet forum in the end and people are expected to have different stances and opinions on different things.

that being said, we as a community may be more or less shunning away people with interest in

.- cardio (I mean people that consider a 45 minute cardio session their main workout)
.- getting abs
.- machines
.- smith machines
.- Bodypump, cross fit, yoga, etc and everything that is a group activity in gyms

... I happen to care about free weights in the way that most people here care about, so I am happy here, but I can see a bunch of gaffers looking elsewhere to get their fitness talk fix..

Ovid

It should be hard to get to the last rep. At least that's how I check what weights to use. Might be a bit of trial and error at the start. No shame in putting weights on or taking it off at the start :)
How do you know web to increase the weight? When you can do more than 12 reps in one set?

Chittagong

Gold Member

okay, /endrant

Yeah, this so much. I don't think almost anyone understands just how much work, dedication, studying, planning and tracking it takes to get big. You need to understand human physiology, nutrition, form, technique, programming... It's hundred times harder than losing weight. My view on big guys definitely changed after I started lifting this winter. I used to think they are dumb meatheads, now realize how fucking hard it has been to get to where they are. It definitely won't happen by accident.

I don't even know at this point how much of rigorous disciplined work it takes to get Cooter, Szu, Falling Edge or Wufei big... 3 years maybe?

Kyaw

How do you know web to increase the weight? When you can do more than 12 reps in one set?

I haven't following the conversation fully but this is about finding the starting weight for each exercise, yeah?

Just put on weight until your speed of the lift slows down by a good amount but you can still easily finish the rep.

That is now your starting weight for the lift and at the next session, add 10lb to lower body lifts and 5lbs to upper body lifts.

abuC

I don't know how it happened, but it's been almost 24 hours since I last ate. My workout went so-so as a result but I may get 5 guys (two cheeseburgers + fries) and a caesar salad for after. The weird thing is that I don't feel hungry in the least bit.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
For those watching carbs or that can't handle that much dairy, you guys should drink Kefir instead of milk. The kefir grains eat up the lactose in the milk, so it's very low sugar, and you get a shitload of probiotics to boot. It's like milk supercharged.

Ovid

I haven't following the conversation fully but this is about finding the starting weight for each exercise, yeah?

Just put on weight until your speed of the lift slows down by a good amount but you can still easily finish the rep.

That is now your starting weight for the lift and at the next session, add 10lb to lower body lifts and 5lbs to upper body lifts.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New PR on bench, very happy. You were all right! Killed it.

Zozobra

I'm not sure if this is too general of a request, but can anyone recommend a good guide or something for clean bulking while doing SS?

I generally eat pretty well (ie. no junk food, refined sugar, etc.), so I'd like to keep it that way while I try to put on weight. Thanks!

Satch

Banned
Height: 5ft1in lol
Weight: 113lbs lol
Goal: I want to be strong and to love the aesthetic and to feel awesome about my body (more than I already do
il8ZGMzTmxlFu.gif
).
Current Training Schedule: I don't really have one...? I'm just trying to start, and I am planning to alternate leg day/arm day like other people do. I was going to try to do that beginner routine that's in the OP but I don't have all of the equipment necessary to do everything listed yet.
Current Training Equipment Available: I just have 5, 10, and 15 lb weights at home, but I want to start going to the gym regularly, but I'm terrified of going when it's heavily populated (and I know you say in the OP to not get anxious about it but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be anxious about it anyway.)
Comments: I hope that a lot of the tips in here can also apply to me as well. I'm 100% sure that I am an extreme outlier, and I wouldn't know how to modify these exercises on my own. I'm not scared of muscle; Wonder Woman is the Lord, I fear nothing etc etc etc. Thanks in advance for any help that you're able to give.

I know that the posture for squats is feet shoulder width apart, back straight when going up and when going down, but it's making my knees hurt a bit. I know in the OP that it says all that stuff about DOMS and muscles being unfamiliar with that kind of new effort, so would it be better for me to stop using weights for a few weeks? I don't want to break anything before I get to the more strenuous exercises.

Matugi

Started using melatonin yesterday, gave me the best night sleep I have ever had and I felt completely recharged today and got an awesome workout in. I would recommend its usage if you have trouble getting 8 hours of sleep.

WorldStar

Banned
Started using melatonin yesterday, gave me the best night sleep I have ever had and I felt completely recharged today and got an awesome workout in. I would recommend its usage if you have trouble getting 8 hours of sleep.

that shit gives me weird ass, vivid dreams

steveovig

I had a great workout today with the SS program. My deadlift was fucked due to grip problems but my low-bar squats were fantastic and my confidence is up for them. I was doing light squats so I figured it'd be a perfect day to practice low-bars. All my sets felt seamless and I had someone tape my working sets and I was leaning too much. I was keeping my chest out with my head up (even though SS says to keep your eyes down). I was getting deep enough and felt incredible. I can't wait to try them on my heavy days. I think since I'm going to be a PT, I'm just going to alternate front, low-bar, and high-bar, so I can get better at all of them. I'm kinda afraid of fronts since I really don't know a lot about them and haven't tried them in years but I'm going to give them a go next week on my light day!

abuC

Height: 5ft1in lol
Weight: 113lbs lol
Goal: I want to be strong and to love the aesthetic and to feel awesome about my body (more than I already do
il8ZGMzTmxlFu.gif
).
Current Training Schedule: I don't really have one...? I'm just trying to start, and I am planning to alternate leg day/arm day like other people do. I was going to try to do that beginner routine that's in the OP but I don't have all of the equipment necessary to do everything listed yet.
Current Training Equipment Available: I just have 5, 10, and 15 lb weights at home, but I want to start going to the gym regularly, but I'm terrified of going when it's heavily populated (and I know you say in the OP to not get anxious about it but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be anxious about it anyway.)
Comments: I hope that a lot of the tips in here can also apply to me as well. I'm 100% sure that I am an extreme outlier, and I wouldn't know how to modify these exercises on my own. I'm not scared of muscle; Wonder Woman is the Lord, I fear nothing etc etc etc. Thanks in advance for any help that you're able to give.

I know that the posture for squats is feet shoulder width apart, back straight when going up and when going down, but it's making my knees hurt a bit. I know in the OP that it says all that stuff about DOMS and muscles being unfamiliar with that kind of new effort, so would it be better for me to stop using weights for a few weeks? I don't want to break anything before I get to the more strenuous exercises.

Is there a goal weight or build you're shooting for?

Here's some of the things you can do with the dumbbells for your legs -
http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/exercises/legs/

WorldStar

Banned
the "is joining a gym worth it" thread is gold

Depends what your goals are. If you want big showy muscles and you want to stare at girls working out in yoga pants then yes. If you want an athletic build and muscles that are actually useful then no since you can only get that through body weight exercises.
lol

cannot make this shit up

Satch

Banned
Is there a goal weight or build you're shooting for?

Here's some of the things you can do with the dumbbells for your legs -
http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/exercises/legs/

I don't know much about what particular weight I should be shooting for, but I do want a more solid, toned, and leaner build. I'm not fat now but I'm doughy in some areas, but really thin in others, and would like more uniformity across my body. For example, I wish my thighs and glutes were more structured; I don't particularly mind them being "big," but I wish they had definition. My arms just look like sticks except for some fat around my triceps. I also would like to have my shoulders and traps reflect more strength. My back just looks really weak and shapeless.

I always wish I could get definition in my calves. I have been trying off and on for years, but just couldn't keep up the work.

Thank you for the link. I'll get started on those ASAP.

Noema

I'm not sure if this is too general of a request, but can anyone recommend a good guide or something for clean bulking while doing SS?

I generally eat pretty well (ie. no junk food, refined sugar, etc.), so I'd like to keep it that way while I try to put on weight. Thanks!

What about something Paleo-ish? As in, all your carb sources would come from tubers and fibrous vegetables, avoiding bread, rice and pastas.

Justin from 70sBig.com has an E-book on this very subject; might be worth checking out.

abuC

I don't know much about what particular weight I should be shooting for, but I do want a more solid, toned, and leaner build. I'm not fat now but I'm doughy in some areas, but really thin in others, and would like more uniformity across my body. For example, I wish my thighs and glutes were more structured; I don't particularly mind them being "big," but I wish they had definition. My arms just look like sticks except for some fat around my triceps. I also would like to have my shoulders and traps reflect more strength. My back just looks really weak and shapeless.

I always wish I could get definition in my calves. I have been trying off and on for years, but just couldn't keep up the work.

Thank you for the link. I'll get started on those ASAP.

Starting strength would be great for you then, it's a good total body workout, really well structured for beginners. And you don't have to worry about getting too muscular, only way to build a lot of muscle is to eat with a surplus.

Also, don't be afraid of going to the gym, when I first started I had it in my mind that everyone would be looking at me and laughing because of how weak I was for how large I was. But, really nobody was paying me much attention at all, once you get past the anxiety the gains come, the gainnnsssss.

You're welcome!

blackflag

okay, /endrant

Who do I have to sell my soul to, to look like this?

Actually looks like we have the same insertions pretty much except I don't have hight trap insertions like that.

rando14

Who do I have to sell my soul to, to look like this?

Actually looks like we have the same insertions pretty much except I don't have hight trap insertions like that.

Agreed, he is my (unattainable because I am natural) ideal physique.

does anyone know his name?

Mark1

I am aware you're muscles don't grow if you don't get at least 7 hours of sleep. However, what would happen if you have a couple of bad sleeps the following few days?

WorldStar

Banned
Agreed, he is my (unattainable because I am natural) ideal physique.

does anyone know his name?

Frank McGrath. He is also my ideal physique.

Frank_Mcgrath_006.jpg

frank_mcgrath_bodybuilder_9.jpg

9f3fe-FrankMcgrath.jpg

26.jpg

Pudz (at certain points of his life) is up there as well:

8e003-mariusz_pudzianowski.jpg

Saw some interview where Pudz described his Strongman diet. Was a pretty awesome interview.

"My energy comes from my diet. Breakfast is 10 eggs and two to three pounds of bacon. Between meals, I eat lots of candy. In the morning, it will be several 3 Musketeers and/or Snickers bars; I need them for energy. Lunch, at 1 or 2 PM, is a double meal of a Polish pork chop, sauerkraut and potatoes. An hour later, I work out, then take lots of supplements: magnesium, creatine, amino acids, all that stuff, and more chocolate. Dinner is whatever meat I can grab—steaks, pork chops, bacon—plus more sauerkraut and potatoes. At 9 or 10 PM, I work out again. Afterward, I have a protein shake and more chocolate. At 3 or 4 AM, I wake up and have more chocolate, then go back to sleep until morning."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom