• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimatum

Banned
I've got a question about IF - does it allow you to get all the protein you need? I've read so many times online that you can only absorb a certain amount of protein in one go, so with IF does this mean you don't meet your protein requirements, or is the protein absorption limit thing bullshit?

abuC

yep :( 5 pieces then the other 3 a couple hours later lol

im such a fatass, but oh man if it wasnt delicious

I can't blame you, me and chicken go way back.

I had a meatball parm sub from an Italian deli, they are too die for but I can feel the fat being deposited on me with each bite. Also had 5 guys this weekend, and also had a big breakfast.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I've got a question about IF - does it allow you to get all the protein you need? I've read so many times online that you can only absorb a certain amount of protein in one go, so with IF does this mean you don't meet your protein requirements, or is the protein absorption limit thing bullshit?

it's mostly bro science I think. But anyway I personally find the 5/2 IF much easier with pretty much the same benefits, it spreads things out better for protein too.

velociraptor

Christ, I don't know how you guys can lift on Sunday. :p

That's sort of what I did when I started out since I couldn't do regular chins. I'd do them 3 times a week after my main lifts, 3 sets of 8. Every week I'd take 5kg off the counter weight. However, I'd also recommend that you start with negatives on the pull-ups bar, since the assisted chin-up machine isn't quite exactly like real chin-ups because the machine is partially stabilizing your weight. When I finally switched to real chin-ups from the assisted machine it was striking how difficult it felt to keep my balance. I was swinging like a pendulum and it took a while for my abs to develop and for my CNS to learn the skills so that wouldn't happen.

BBB squats are fucking murder.

What do you mean by "arching"? As in, your back is curving? Are you losing lumbar extension?

My lower back arches inwards. I'll try to get a vid but I suspect my form isn't great.

Ravidrath

Total 0% Greek Yogurt with Stevia and Cinnamon mixed in. 96kcal, 18g protein, 7g carbs - plus tastes godlike and is really filling.

BTW, the best overall Greek Yogurt I've found is Trader Joe's.

1 server is 22g protein and 7g carbs, it tastes good and isn't as sour as Fage, and it's like $5 a tub instead of $6.50 or whatever they charge for Fage and Chobani.

rando14

4a4YP4E.jpg

i need more buffs in my gym

Mr.City

I'm in the middle of my cut and I'm having the damnedest time getting these last 7lbs off. Sweets are far too enticing. Really gotta start focusing. What are some low calories snacks that still taste good that I can turn to?

How has your diet been structured?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
FallingEdge in New Leaf there's a bed that looks like a bench w/barbell. I expect us to get these things.

I ate like shit this weekend, the closer I get to my goal the more lax I'm getting which isn't good.

youre telling me lol, i ate a family size 8-piece fried chicken bucket and i am filled with remorse (and indigestion)

I'm in the middle of my cut and I'm having the damnedest time getting these last 7lbs off. Sweets are far too enticing. Really gotta start focusing. What are some low calories snacks that still taste good that I can turn to?

I'm right there with you guys. It is a struggle to lose these 6-8 lbs. Just want to eat foods I shouldn't. I'm never gonna get to 10%

try to do it up again...

FallingEdge in New Leaf there's a bed that looks like a bench w/barbell. I expect us to get these things.

rofl! sounds good to me! Just doing random jobs atm. Still haven't got a real house.

blackflag

BTW, the best overall Greek Yogurt I've found is Trader Joe's.

1 server is 22g protein and 7g carbs, it tastes good and isn't as sour as Fage, and it's like $5 a tub instead of $6.50 or whatever they charge for Fage and Chobani.

I'll have to check it out. Fage is fine mixed with protein powder or tons of Splenda. It's fine to cook with too but sometimes the sourness gets to me

Is there a good resource of exercises I can add to my workout now that I've done SS for a couple months? Like, Almost-Intermediate Strength or something

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
About 1.5 weeks into my cut, and I think I've made some noticeable gains. I was lean before, but I've really trimmed a lot of belly fat (maybe hard to tell from the angle, bah). Gained mass at the same time.

Pic I posted a while back:

jbpdKy2J7Dap2s.jpg

New pic:

519b2ede13004d7083e63e58946ba2eb.jpg

Won't lie, was kinda sucking in in the first pic when I took it. Not so for the second, which makes me happy.

Noema

Is there a good resource of exercises I can add to my workout now that I've done SS for a couple months? Like, Almost-Intermediate Strength or something

Well, in the advanced novice phase usually you'd switch deadlifts to Wednesdays only and do light squats on Wednesdays as well. You could possibly add RDLs to your Friday workout. And of course dips and chin-ups as well if you haven't done so.

Another possibility would be to switch to GSLP which is very similar to SS, but adds more arm work (curls) and the last set of every main lift is done AMRAP (as many reps as possible). So on squats for instance you'd do 5,5,7. Other than that the progression is the same: you add 5lb to lower body lifts per workout, 2.5lb to upper body lifts.

In general my suggestion would be not to add too many exercises yet. Keep milking your linear progression and eat and get stronger. After you've stalled several times on all your lifts then you can start something like 531 which is much more versatile and adaptable.

sphinx

the piano man
sad....

I don't know why I asked a friend long ago how much do empty bars in my gym weight... he told me 20 kgs...yesterday, as a trainer was spotting me, I decided to ask him and said they are 15 kgs, he said there are longer ones that are 18 kgs but 20 kgs is nonsense, no empty bar weights as much..

not only I feel irresponsible for not confirming that info long ago but my dreams were shattered :p, I am not where I thought I was and 5 kgs is in this context a huge difference.

someone give me a facepalm please.

sad....

I don't know why I asked a friend long ago how much do empty bars in my gym weight... he told me 20 kgs...yesterday, as a trainer was spotting me, I decided to ask him and said they are 15 kgs, he said there are longer ones that are 18 kgs but 20 kgs is nonsense, no empty bar weights as much..

not only I feel irresponsible for not confirming that info long ago but my dreams were shattered :p, I am not where I thought I was and 5 kgs is in this context a huge difference.

Either your gym is using some really shitty equipment or the trainer doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

A proper 7' Olympic Bar should weigh exactly 44.05 lbs or 20 kgs.

Tash

So getting one of these and a bench should take care of most compound needs, correct?

The only thing I am scared of is all the dumbbells. Even adjustable ones have not a great range of variety..

Still considering getting Power Block ones.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So getting one of these and a bench should take care of most compound needs, correct?

The only thing I am scared of is all the dumbbells. Even adjustable ones have not a great range of variety..

Still considering getting Power Block ones.

Barbell is pretty much all you need for anything. I only use dumbells for vanity bicep curls.

SeanR1221

Holy bloat batman. 213 this morning. For those keeping track that's 11 pounds in < 1 month.

I don't feel bigger though. Like I'm not flabby or anything. Plus I put up 4 kickass workouts this week.

Had a little freak out my shorts fit too tight....until I realized they shrunk. Damn 15.00 shorts.

Petrie

Banned
I know, I appreciate the feedback. My comment wasn't sarcastic :)

Oh I didn't think it was. I was just trying to make it clear that if you do need them for what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with dumbbells. I don't like to just dismiss legit equipment, I just like to make sure people get the best bang for their buck for what they want to do. making the most of resources and all that.

Plus after some of the criticisms from lurkers of the thread, I'm trying harder to actually explain comments instead of just telling people: wrong, read the OP. Being more welcoming and such!

abuC

First day using the versa gripps and I love them, took my traps to failure for the first time in forever. I was able to far exceed my normal rep ranges with these things and had to increase the weight and still could rep out. My traps are dead meat now, in the past my grip gave out long before my traps but not anymore though, those muthafuckas are in trouble now!

Tomorrow is back day and I can't wait to get back at it.

Mark1

About 1.5 weeks into my cut, and I think I've made some noticeable gains. I was lean before, but I've really trimmed a lot of belly fat (maybe hard to tell from the angle, bah). Gained mass at the same time.

Pic I posted a while back:

jbpdKy2J7Dap2s.jpg

New pic:

519b2ede13004d7083e63e58946ba2eb.jpg

Won't lie, was kinda sucking in in the first pic when I took it. Not so for the second, which makes me happy.

Wow! Looking good! Did it so quickly as well!

Veezy

que?
PHAT has been tearing me apart, but I love it. That mixed with some metcons has me pretty damn set. I'm up to 173 at around 10% BF. Good fucking times.

despire

PHAT has been tearing me apart, but I love it. That mixed with some metcons has me pretty damn set. I'm up to 173 at around 10% BF. Good fucking times.

Welcome back dude, haven't seen you in ages.

Btw, since you are the unofficial master of all things GSLP in this thread, here's a question. Would appreciate an answer very much. About the "Mass Gain Base with Rotating lifts" template in the book. I'm a bit confused if I should be doing incline bench every monday and decline bench every friday, leaving wednesdays for the press? Or should I alternate like normal?

So is it:
A) incline bench,
B) press,
C) decline bench,
A) incline bench,
B) press,
C) decline bench
etc..?

Or is it:
A) incline bench,
B) press,
C) decline bench,
A) press,
B) incline bench,
C) press
etc..?

Mr.City

sad....

Most trainers don't know shit. In fact, most are given crackerjack certifications that do very little to prepare them.

But, 5kg isn't a big deal. Please explain how 11 lbs have shattered your dreams.

Tash

Oh I didn't think it was. I was just trying to make it clear that if you do need them for what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with dumbbells. I don't like to just dismiss legit equipment, I just like to make sure people get the best bang for their buck for what they want to do. making the most of resources and all that.

Plus after some of the criticisms from lurkers of the thread, I'm trying harder to actually explain comments instead of just telling people: wrong, read the OP. Being more welcoming and such!

D'awwwww, you softy! <3

Vio-Lence

Banned
I picked up some quest bars since they been hyped to hell in the thread. Tried PB Supreme and Apple Pie.

PB Supreme was vile. Apple Pie was decent to good. Neither is something I'd want to eat on a long term basis after I finish each case. Macros are good though. I'll try Cookie Dough and CinRoll next, hope they are better.

I'm not sure how anyone eats them w/out heating them up in the microwave.

sphinx

the piano man

wow, you look so bold and fit, truly athletic, congrats!

Either your gym is using some really shitty equipment or the trainer doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

A proper 7' Olympic Bar should weigh exactly 44.05 lbs or 20 kgs.

Most trainers don't know shit. In fact, most are given crackerjack certifications that do very little to prepare them.

But, 5kg isn't a big deal. Please explain how 11 lbs have shattered your dreams.

well, I don't know what to think anymore,

and my dreams were shattered because I thought I was at a particular level and 11 lbs bring me down significantly. agh, is no big deal, it's the same, I'll keep working on breaking PRs.

RIP KyleJ

but he's coming back right? or was he perm'd?

:-O

Holy crap

Dat feel when you feel your abs working when deadlifting.

That was a very wierd Neo-from-the-matrix-"Woah..."-like moment for me....

Also, didn't find any of the assisted pull-up machines you guys suggested, but the gym had rubberbands for pull-up bars to support your feet. Did my first 3 x 8 pull-ups today :) my upper arms are sore! Especially my left arm (non-dominant I guess).

It feels like a good soreness, like I pushed it to the limit.

Topped it off with some dumbbell exercise.

Overall good day. :)

Tash

I picked up some quest bars since they been hyped to hell in the thread. Tried PB Supreme and Apple Pie.

PB Supreme was vile. Apple Pie was decent to good. Neither is something I'd want to eat on a long term basis after I finish each case. Macros are good though. I'll try Cookie Dough and CinRoll next, hope they are better.

I'm not sure how anyone eats them w/out heating them up in the microwave.

To be honest I can't stomach any of the other flavours but cookie dough are ace. Specially if you warm them. I tried in the oven, micro and even on the grill during the weekend (packed little pieces into tinfoil). Came out awesome and I actually like the consistency better after they are "baked".

:-O

Holy crap

Dat feel when you feel your abs working when deadlifting.

That was a very wierd Neo-from-the-matrix-"Woah..."-like moment for me....

Also, didn't find any of the assisted pull-up machines you guys suggested, but the gym had rubberbands for pull-up bars to support your feet. Did my first 3 x 8 pull-ups today :) my upper arms are sore! Especially my left arm (non-dominant I guess).

It feels like a good soreness, like I pushed it to the limit.

Topped it off with some dumbbell exercise.

Overall good day. :)

I know, right?! I used to doing lots of crunches and crap but haven't done any in weeks. Only deadlifts and some push-up jackknifes and I can see faster improvement in definition in my tummy than before. Or maybe it's psychological. I also find myself trying to have good form at the gym no matter what I do. Even while using some of the cardio stuff I hate so much. Always try to keep my abs engaged throughout all exercises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom