• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matugi

Old?

Someone on the LEFT hasn't skipped leg day

tBaXxWc.jpg

gat dayum, dat ass

1) The only ways to "speed" up recovery time is to get more rest during your rest days, but it's minimal at best. Even if you feel sore, unless you extremely fatigued, you should be able to get through the workout. Now, I don't know the specific of your routine, but if you want to do the MWF schedule, your body can adjust to it.

2) Have you considered juicing them?

My routine is exclusively bodyweight exercises. Push ups, pull ups, squats, step ups, planks, back raises (idk what the actual name of these things are), etc. Sometimes while adding extra weight (e.g. place a weight on my back while doing push ups), etc.

I could probably get through a workout, but I heard it was detrimental to work out again while sore because it meant the muscles had not fully repaired yet.

I could probably get through a workout, but I heard it was detrimental to work out again while sore because it meant the muscles had not fully repaired yet.

You can work out while sore. A lot of the time, the soreness will go away. That being said, do not confuse soreness with an injury.

grumble

Two questions, one of which will probably be controversial.

1) How can I decrease my recovery time? I'd like to work out every MWF but it seems like when I work out Monday, I'm not really that sore on Tuesday and then REALLY sore on Wednesday, and then fine on Thursday. So currently I can only work out Monday and Thursday. What's even stranger is that during my workout on Monday, my legs tend to get the least exhausted, but they are the sorest on Wednesday, whereas my upper body feels completely destroyed after the workout, yet it's fine on Wednesday.

2) What is the best substitute for vegetables for someone who cannot eat vegetables? I'm sure everyone's first response is going to be "nothing. Eat vegetables", but for certain reasons this literally isn't possible. So I am interested the best of the set of inferior substitutes / supplements. There's tons of vegetable supplements, but I don't know what all these ingredients are or how to choose one. This one seems to get a bunch of recommendations, but still, looking for more opinions. And again, I know supplements are designed to supplement, not replace, but I think my choices are either an inferior solution or no solution.

1. Your options are steroids, increasing calorie amount and quality, decreasing non-gym physical activity, reducing stress levels, increasing sleep, not drinking booze, and reducing volume/intensity in the gym each session so you can increase frequency.

2. Use a vegetable supplement powder in your shakes, blend them into a soup, slowly introduce them into your diet in small quantities, hide them in other food (ie dice some veggies into chili, whatever), and of course take vitamin supplementation.

Frankly though if you gag when you eat veggies then you have a miswiring in your head which you can and should fix. Currently veggies are associated in your head with toxins, food gone bad, soap, whatever it is that isn't 'food'. You need to force a relink by eating veggies over and over until your body relearns the association for veggies as 'food'. I had this issue with mushrooms, used to hate them and could barely get them down. Now I enjoy them moderately because I just forced myself to eat them in some form ~20 times years ago. Just put small amounts in everything you eat, eventually you'll learn to like them more.

Been doing ca 6 months of Wendler's 531 training now and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with my results even though I haven't been able to go to the gym as often as I would have hoped (e.g. took March off almost completely).

-------January----June
Bench: 3 x 220 -> 6 x 240 lb
Press : 7 x 110 -> 5 x 140 lb
Squat: 8 x 200 -> 6 x 255 lb

My weight has also gone up from 190lb to 207lb (I'm 6'1). I have definitely gained some fat too but my girlfriend likes my physique better now (well, she's into big guys like Vin Diesel, The Rock). My plan for the next six months is to focus on my squat and deadlift which are definitely lagging. It would be awesome to squat 300lb for reps by the end of this year.

Frankly though if you gag when you eat veggies then you have a miswiring in your head which you can and should fix. Currently veggies are associated in your head with toxins, food gone bad, soap, whatever it is that isn't 'food'. You need to force a relink by eating veggies over and over until your body relearns the association for veggies as 'food'. I had this issue with mushrooms, used to hate them and could barely get them down. Now I enjoy them moderately because I just forced myself to eat them in some form ~20 times years ago. Just put small amounts in everything you eat, eventually you'll learn to like them more.

I realize and completely understand why people react this way to my question, but the issue is not quite that simple for me (not that that would be all that simple to begin with).

In all honesty I really don't like to talk about it, but a good analogy might be that if someone tried to drown you as a child by holding you under water, and you managed to escape, you might have issues with water later in your life.

Tash

What's the difference between a normal and a decline bench press in terms of muscle use?
More focus on the chest?

Also on my second week of bench presses and I am up to 66lbs now. That's not too bad, right? Seeing I am a lightweight still with my 121 lbs and just started lifting.

Darren870

LIRL.

I thought of you! I was like "Need to get Petrie to ship me a box." :p

Thought this was good

'Epic Bench Press Maneuver'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBP_xdzyxI&feature=player_embedded

This one is pretty funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOL0txC1GIQ

I never know what to do when I see people just fucking up. Do you tell them? Do you just ignore? I usually take my headphones just in case I hear a scream and can run over to grab the bar.

One guy at work today was doing some HIIT on his chest. 10x DB Inclines, 10x DB Flys, 10x Pushups. Looked like 3 sets.

His form for is DB inclines were so bad it didn't even make sense to what he was doing. He would have one DB up and then like force the other one up. I wasn't sure if I should have like suggested something, so I just let him be. Not even sure what I would say besides...dude thats to much weight if you are struggling like that.

SeanR1221

Thanks guys, I won't sweat it. I think I just need to adjust to this volume. I mean I did 8 reps at 295 last week so 3 at 305 probably means my body is beat

LIRL.

I thought of you! I was like "Need to get Petrie to ship me a box." :p

Thought this was good

'Epic Bench Press Maneuver'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBP_xdzyxI&feature=player_embedded

Terrible but the video reminds me. What the fuck is up with the leg shake so many guys do? Plant your feet on the floor, stop acting like you have to pee.

Tash

I never know what to do when I see people just fucking up. Do you tell them? Do you just ignore? I usually take my headphones just in case I hear a scream and can run over to grab the bar.

One guy at work today was doing some HIIT on his chest. 10x DB Inclines, 10x DB Flys, 10x Pushups. Looked like 3 sets.

His form for is DB inclines were so bad it didn't even make sense to what he was doing. He would have one DB up and then like force the other one up. I wasn't sure if I should have like suggested something, so I just let him be. Not even sure what I would say besides...dude thats to much weight if you are struggling like that.

OMG That Deadlift 0_o that hurts just looking at it..

Also good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUm6pCCi9Jw

ezrarh

Been doing ca 6 months of Wendler's 531 training now and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with my results even though I haven't been able to go to the gym as often as I would have hoped (e.g. took March off almost completely).

-------January----June
Bench: 3 x 220 -> 6 x 240 lb
Press : 7 x 110 -> 5 x 140 lb
Squat: 8 x 200 -> 6 x 255 lb

My weight has also gone up from 190lb to 207lb (I'm 6'1). I have definitely gained some fat too but my girlfriend likes my physique better now (well, she's into big guys like Vin Diesel, The Rock). My plan for the next six months is to focus on my squat and deadlift which are definitely lagging. It would be awesome to squat 300lb for reps by the end of this year.

Nothing wrong with doing 531 right now but you can still do linear progression with your numbers, especially for squats and deadlifts. It'll get you there faster. I know some people are going to say lifting isn't a race or whatever but why leave anything off the table if you can still get more out of your lifting time. You should be able to get to 300 lb for reps in squats in 6 months time no problem.

Noema

What's the difference between a normal and a decline bench press in terms of muscle use?
More focus on the chest?

Also on my second week of bench presses and I am up to 66lbs now. That's not too bad, right? Seeing I am a lightweight still with my 121 lbs and just started lifting.

Supposedly decline bench is better to work the lower pec, but for the most part decline is just an easier bench since the ROM is much shorter.

As a novice I'd recommend you stay away from bench variations and stick to the flat bench.

Nothing wrong with doing 531 right now but you can still do linear progression with your numbers, especially for squats and deadlifts. It'll get you there faster. I know some people are going to say lifting isn't a race or whatever but why leave anything off the table if you can still get more out of your lifting time. You should be able to get to 300 lb for reps in squats in 6 months time no problem.

Yeah, I've been reading about linear progression but I don't think my elbows and knees would like several bench or squat sessions a week. I'm in my late 30's and my joint health is one of my main concerns (have suffered from mild elbow tendonitis for ages). 531 just seems to keep me feeling fairly fresh and as long as my low volume training gives me results I think I'm gonna stick with it..

Ohh lawd that girl on the left...dem legs. It's beautiful

I think she's Allison Bishop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq_iiDsC-nA

Don't like Power Cleans.

Same with over head press. Have to work on my form...

But I gots' to do what I gots' to do! Hopefully I'll get to like them eventually.

I'm still getting used to the sensation of useing my abs. Felt them during my squats and abdominal exercises today. I haven't tried feeling them like this ever before.

What does it mean?

Squat: 62,5 kg
OHP: 27,5 kg
PC: 32,5 kg

Old?

Someone on the LEFT hasn't skipped leg day

tBaXxWc.jpg

HOLY

THIGHS.

DEM THIGHS.

Tash

Supposedly decline bench is better to work the lower pec, but for the most part decline is just an easier bench since the ROM is much shorter.

As a novice I'd recommend you stay away from bench variations and stick to the flat bench.

Szu

LOL, great shirt FallingEdge.

And that girl above is perfect example of why women should do squats.

I got my wife to do squats.

She expressed her concern about squats seem to make her lower body look bigger. I told her that her muscles are just developing there.

She told me that she's afraid that it would be her butt too big. I told her there's no such thing.

Szu

OK, this part was idiotic, but it still looks like fun.

The problem with thighs like that is to find pants...especially if you have a tiny waist..

That's even better.

LOL, great shirt FallingEdge.

And that girl above is perfect example of why women should do squats.

thanks. A random woman asked me if it was working. Told her not enough weight.

I got my wife to do squats.

She expressed her concern about squats seem to make her lower body look bigger. I told her that her muscles are just developing there.

She told me that she's afraid that it would be her butt too big. I told her there's no such thing.

exactly. booty booty booty.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Big day tomorrow. My first Carb Nite ever tomorrow, after 9 days on rigorous 30g carbs plan.

How much am I supposed to pig out? On a normal day I eat around 2000 - 2200 kcal.

Here's my plan

- Pick N Mix for Man of Steel screening
- for dinner vegetable soup for starters
- Gnocchi for main course
- Liquorice Creme Brulee for dessert

not sure if that's enough for a Carb Nite..?

Vio-Lence

Banned
Big day tomorrow. My first Carb Nite ever tomorrow, after 9 days on rigorous 30g carbs plan.

How much am I supposed to pig out? On a normal day I eat around 2000 - 2200 kcal.

Here's my plan

Needs more carbs IMO

Kyaw

Cleans just clicked for me today. I've been practicing them every session.

All about dem hip thrusts. Just get that shit down and you're good.

abuC

So, I'm stupid and didn't know how to use Myotape, just realized that when it clicks that's an inch even if it doesn't show the measurement itself. My wrists are 8" on the nose, and my ankles are 11" 1/2 (Calves are naturally 18.5") which kind of sucks because someone told me that someone with smaller bones would look more muscular with similar bicep measurements. They were saying I have the ability to carry more weight and get bigger with a higher ceiling, but getting "ripped" would be more difficult.

So, I'm stupid and didn't know how to use Myotape, just realized that when it clicks that's an inch. My wrists are 8" on the nose, and my ankles are 11" 1/2 (Calves are naturally 18.5") which kind of sucks because someone told me that someone with smaller bones would look more muscular with similar bicep measurements. They were saying I have the ability to carry more weight and get bigger with a higher ceiling, but getting "ripped" would be more difficult.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html
http://www.weightrainer.net/bodypred.html

And what do you mean when it clicks, it is an inch. You don't just look at the number after pushing the button and letting it retract?

abuC

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html
http://www.weightrainer.net/bodypred.html

And what do you mean when it clicks, it is an inch. You don't just look at the number after pushing the button and letting it retract?

Thanks, I checked the second link before, will give the first a try.

When you pull the myotape it clicks for every inch and stops, I didn't realize that so wherever it was showing is what I thought the measurement was even if it had made the clicking noise for the next inch.

2. Use a vegetable supplement powder in your shakes, blend them into a soup, slowly introduce them into your diet in small quantities, hide them in other food (ie dice some veggies into chili, whatever), and of course take vitamin supplementation.

Any particular one that you have experience with or can vouch for?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Here's my plan

more carbs. OD on that shit. Seriously. Go to the max with CN. As much shit as you can fit in ye olde belly.

Daud

Neo Member
FitGAF, I need your help.

I've been doing SS for almost 3 months now. I have progressed significantly in every lift. I feel stronger, look better, have more energy, etc.

But there is a but. A big but. My squat is ruining my lower back. I have near constant moderate but nagging soreness. I do high-bar, and I suffer from the infamous "butt wink", in a textbook way. I don't think anything's torn down there, as I don't feel it when I wake up, fe, but as long as I sit (I have an office job), the soreness comes back.

My form is generally fair on the squat. I should be going north of 200 now (at a BW of 155), which is not bad, but I'm afraid I'll injure my back long term if I continue that way. Which pisses me off because my legs are totally fine and able of much greater things.

I've tried stretching my hamstrings, back stetches before, during and after squatting, I do back extensions every other work out.

What do you guys say I do? Would low-bar squat be best for my back? Or should I just switch to front squats at that point? My goal was to at least get to 225 before modifying the SS pattern.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Needs more carbs IMO

more carbs. OD on that shit. Seriously. Go to the max with CN. As much shit as you can fit in ye olde belly.

haha, oh wow, I thought this was already plenty. I double up on the desert and get chocolate cake too, and then have a hot dog and fries on the way back to the hotel. Must be super confusing to my colleagues since I have been super strict for months, and then I suddenly just pig out and order two desserts :D

So I started a variation of SS(second program in the op) a few weeks ago. I'm doing IF on a slow cut (0/-20). I heard that SS isn't good for someone cutting. Is there any merit to this? I'm pretty novice. I'm able to move up in squat/dl about once every 3 workouts, bench about every 4. Even fir noon gains, this seems like it is going to stop increasing fast.

6'2 185lbs
Guesstimate about 16% by (scale says 20, handheld 15)
Squat:155lbs
Dl: 175lbs
Bench: 135lbs

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
haha, oh wow, I thought this was already plenty. I double up on the desert and get chocolate cake too, and then have a hot dog and fries on the way back to the hotel. Must be super confusing to my colleagues since I have been super strict for months, and then I suddenly just pig out and order two desserts :D

just tell em its a cheat day, it simplifies it for them. Don't explain the whole thing. Keep in mind it isn't a cheat day legit though.

So I started a variation of SS(second program in the op) a few weeks ago. I'm doing IF on a slow cut (0/-20). I heard that SS isn't good for someone cutting. Is there any merit to this? I'm pretty novice. I'm able to move up in squat/dl about once every 3 workouts, bench about every 4. Even fir noon gains, this seems like it is going to stop increasing fast.

6'2 185lbs

I was cutting on keto when I started SS and did well for about 3 weeks, then I got the energy sucked out of my everything and had to go low-carb to finish my workouts. Do it until your body says "nope"

sphinx

the piano man

6'2 185lbs

just being curious, why are you on a cut being a novice? you fear you'll get fat?

Noema

FitGAF, I need your help.

I've been doing SS for almost 3 months now. I have progressed significantly in every lift. I feel stronger, look better, have more energy, etc.

But there is a but. A big but. My squat is ruining my lower back. I have near constant moderate but nagging soreness. I do high-bar, and I suffer from the infamous "butt wink", in a textbook way. I don't think anything's torn down there, as I don't feel it when I wake up, fe, but as long as I sit (I have an office job), the soreness comes back.

My form is generally fair on the squat. I should be going north of 200 now (at a BW of 155), which is not bad, but I'm afraid I'll injure my back long term if I continue that way. Which pisses me off because my legs are totally fine and able of much greater things.

I've tried stretching my hamstrings, back stetches before, during and after squatting, I do back extensions every other work out.

What do you guys say I do? Would low-bar squat be best for my back? Or should I just switch to front squats at that point? My goal was to at least get to 225 before modifying the SS pattern.

It's probably a combination of bad form+ lack of mobility.

Post a video of your squats.

Noema

6'2 185lbs

Those numbers are too low for someone who wants to cut. If anything at 6'2 185lb you should try to get to at least 200lb. Hell, I'm 230lb at 6'2 an I look like a flagpole. And the fact that you can only add weight to your lifts ever 3 or 4 workouts should tell you that you need more food. Much more food. You should add weight to the bar EVERY.WORKOUT.

Get to a 135lb OHP, 225lb bench, 315lb squat and 405lb deadlift and then we'll talk about cutting. By then you'll probably be >220lb and a great deal more muscular.

And please don't modify SS. Program works fine as it is. Best way of ruining SS is by trying to make it better.

Don't worry about IF or cutting. Worry about the most efficient ways of stuffing as much food in your mouth as possible.

ZaCH3000

Woo! Just payed off my debts to the gym I go to and renewed for another year. Been off since November, can't wait to lift and diet right again!

For the first two weeks to four weeks I'm going to focus on stretching, light lifting and twitch muscles.

Can anyone provide tips for such a routine?

Also, I'm going to refocus my diet after I finish my initial fast from now until Sunday. Gotta flush out all the bad stuff that is in my digestive system and cleanse my body of any toxins first.

I look forward to participating more in this thread!

mkenyon

Banned
Need some pro input on this.

I have been running 5 days a week. 3 miles M, T, Th, F, then 5-8 miles on either Sat or Sun. This is the current point of my buildup that has been going on for about 14 months.

I do my daily run during my lunchbreak. Between changing, walking as a warm up, stretching for ~8 minutes before, the run itself, the cool down walk, and then another ~8 minutes of stretching, I've hit my time limit in terms of running a further distance. Whenever I add a mile to that, it increases the time to be far too close to an hour to be gravy at the job.

What I've been thinking about doing is swapping to 2.5 miles during lunch (12:00), and then another 2.5 miles running home from my workplace after work (between 5:00-6:00).

Longterm, I'd like to improve my ability to do a half marathon. Kind of the ultimate topping for dropping ~125lbs. Additionally, I'd like to continue to improve the time on my lunch run so I can beat my wife (ex collegiate soccer player, always been able to outrun me, but we're close now). We're both really competitive.

So, my questions:

1) Will this help me continue to improve my overall ability to run longer distances?

2) Will it help me reduce time on my lunch run?

3) Any additional benefits of getting my heart rate up like that twice a day as opposed to once that I should even consider sticking with this long term?

Petrie

Banned
Woo! Just payed off my debts to the gym I go to and renewed for another year. Been off since November, can't wait to lift and diet right again!

For the first two weeks to four weeks I'm going to focus on stretching, light lifting and twitch muscles.

Also, I'm going to refocus my diet after I finish my initial fast from now until Sunday. Gotta flush out all the bad stuff that is in my digestive system and cleanse my body of any toxins first.

You need to educate yourself. A lot. A fast to cleanse toxins and your digestive system? Dafuq?

grumble

Glad to have you in the thread! I'm a little skeptical of the multi-day fasting thing. What toxins are in your body that not eating will eliminate, and what is in your digestive system that's so bad?

Those numbers are too low for someone who wants to cut. If anything at 6'2 185lb you should try to get to at least 200lb. Hell, I'm 230lb at 6'2 an I look like a flagpole. And the fact that you can only add weight to your lifts ever 3 or 4 workouts should tell you that you need more food. Much more food. You should add weight to the bar EVERY.WORKOUT.

Get to a 135lb OHP, 225lb bench, 315lb squat and 405lb deadlift and then we'll talk about cutting. By then you'll probably be >220lb and a great deal more muscular.

And please don't modify SS. Program works fine as it is. Best way of ruining SS is by trying to make it better.

Don't worry about IF or cutting. Worry about the most efficient ways of stuffing as much food in your mouth as possible.
I appreciate it noema, I guess I just need to get over the mindset that I'm going to get fat if I bulk. I agree, I look like a flagpole, but I was wanting to get rid of about 10lbs of fat before I bulked. It's all aroubd the waistline. If I bulk, what will happen as I inevitably gain fat as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom