• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

My babies!

2013-06-11180302_zpsbfd793c3.jpg

Why are they on the ground? Because I was using the lat pullover machine. That in mind, I absolutely positively love the Gripps, got to use them for my back day and was able to handle weights I normally can't. For example, I can row 170lbs DBs, but it gets to the point my hands start killing me so I drop the weight. With these bad boys, I actually was able to do 3 sets x 8 with 175lbers. Every last pulling exercise got better once my punk grip was removed from the equation, I have never been able to shrug so much that my traps give out before my hands, that has changed.

ZaCH3000

You need to educate yourself. A lot. A fast to cleanse toxins and your digestive system? Dafuq?

I have a pretty radical approach to diet and exercise. I'm very open to experimentation. This fast is semi-inspired by Kelly Slater. He fasts a few times a year in addition to lots of stretching and strenuous exercise. My spin on it is lots of stretching prior to light lifting and light cardio. And it's only a few days without eating so it's also a mental challenge. In my experience my body reacts well to a shock.

cdyhybrid

Height: 5' 8.5"
Weight: 157lbs
Goal: Cut body fat for Vegas trip in September
Current Training Schedule: Greyskull LP & Couch to 5K, T/Th/Sat or Sun
Current Training Equipment Available: Almost anything

Comments: This is obviously more of a nutrition question than anything. Thinking of going to Vegas in September for a friend's bday, and want to cut body fat for hanging out at the pool, etc.

Myfitnesspal says my BMR is 2100 calories, and that I should eat at a 500cal deficit. Does that sound right? Too much? Too little? I'm getting enough protein that I should minimize muscle loss, I'm just wondering what number of calories I should be aiming to consume per day. I don't know my current BF%, but I definitely have a ways to go before I have visible abs.

Additionally, theoretically I should be able to eat a bit more on days I go to the gym, but how much more?

despire

Ordered the 6,5mm powerlifting belt from EliteFTS. Hopefully they are fast with it and I can get it while I'm still in the country! :p

I'm visiting Maine, USA for 11 days starting next wednesday. Dis gonna be gud.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
1 cup frozen banana slices
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp natural peanut butter
1/2 cup vanilla protein powder

Blend it.

Eat it.

sogood

blackflag

Ordered the 6,5mm powerlifting belt from EliteFTS. Hopefully they are fast with it and I can get it while I'm still in the country! :p

I'm visiting Maine, USA for 11 days starting next wednesday. Dis gonna be gud.

They are kind of slow but if you already ordered it you should be ok.

Height: 5' 8.5"
Weight: 157lbs
Goal: Cut body fat for Vegas trip in September
Current Training Schedule: Greyskull LP & Couch to 5K, T/Th/Sat or Sun
Current Training Equipment Available: Almost anything

Comments: This is obviously more of a nutrition question than anything. Thinking of going to Vegas in September for a friend's bday, and want to cut body fat for hanging out at the pool, etc.

Myfitnesspal says my BMR is 2100 calories, and that I should eat at a 500cal deficit. Does that sound right? Too much? Too little? I'm getting enough protein that I should minimize muscle loss, I'm just wondering what number of calories I should be aiming to consume per day. I don't know my current BF%, but I definitely have a ways to go before I have visible abs.

Additionally, theoretically I should be able to eat a bit more on days I go to the gym, but how much more?

Are you sure MFP said 2100kcal is your BMR? Your basal metabolic rate is obviously the base amount of calories you need to survive. Depending on your level of activity you should multiply your BMR 1.5 times to 2 times to estimate how many kcals to eat a day. See this post of the OP.

Remember if you're cutting it is recommended to consume more protein than otherwise to maintain as much muscle mass as possible.

If you eat back the calories you burn from exercise you're not going to lose body fat as quickly but as long as you maintain a 500kcal deficit you can go for it I guess.

cdyhybrid

Are you sure MFP said 2100kcal is your BMR? Your basal metabolic rate is obviously the base amount of calories you need to survive. Depending on your level of activity you should multiply your BMR 1.5 times to 2 times to estimate how many kcals to eat a day. See this post of the OP.

Remember if you're cutting it is recommended to consume more protein than otherwise to maintain as much muscle mass as possible.

If you eat back the calories you burn from exercise you're not going to lose body fat as quickly but as long as you maintain a 500kcal deficit you can go for it I guess.

It says I burn 2100/day through "normal daily activity", so I assume that means BMR. I told it I work out 3 times a week for 90 minutes each (combo of lifting and cardio), but I'm not sure if that's included in their "normal activity" formula.

blackflag

It says I burn 2100/day through "normal daily activity", so I assume that means BMR. I told it I work out 3 times a week for 90 minutes each (combo of lifting and cardio), but I'm not sure if that's included in their "normal activity" formula.

don't use mfp for determining how many calories you need. It is very wrong.
Only use it for determining how much you eat.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So fitgaf,successfully convinced my cousin of starting strength and the OP. He was unconvinced and thought the usual chest day, arm day, leg day etc routine with mostly iso was good. I showed him parts of the OP and literally read the OP to him on the car ride to the gym. After that he was convinced and we ended up doing the beginners routine.

So now I've stopped bro science esque stuff with my friends for a month and tried out the beginners routine with my cousin tonight. Did day 1 and felt great, felt like I did more in a shorter amount of time than doing all the random iso routines, no leg day, and almost no compound exercises that I was doing with my friends. All I gotta say is thanks fitgaf for the wealth of information and help. Gonna likely order starting strength sometime and I need to get me a pair of chucks since otherwise I just take off my shoes for lifts.

Did day 1 and felt great, felt like I did more in a shorter amount of time than doing all the random iso routines, no leg day, and almost no compound exercises that I was doing with my friends.

congrats on starting SS.

It's highly probable that was the case but enjoy it while it lasts. Once you progress to higher and higher weights you're going to want to rest for longer periods and it adds up so that you can be the gym for a fair while even on such a "small" programme of exercises.

Good luck and feel free to post updates as you progress in SS.

Nelo Ice

Banned
congrats on starting SS.

It's highly probable that was the case but enjoy it while it lasts. Once you progress to higher and higher weights you're going to want to rest for longer periods and it adds up so that you can be the gym for a fair while even on such a "small" programme of exercises.

Good luck and feel free to post updates as you progress in SS.

I'll try to and yep this'll be awesome while it lasts. Will def be asking here for help on a routine once I plateau with the beginner routine. Also btw for the next day we should be going up in weight right for squats and stuff?

ZeroRay

Yup, time goes up fast.

Today, a bunch of people asked me how many sets I had left on the squat rack when I was warning up, told them I'd be finished in around 40 mins. One of the guys seemed quite taken aback. I didn't want to feel like a hog so I asked if they wanted to work in, no one obliged.

;_;

I'll try to and yep this'll be awesome while it lasts. Will def be asking here for help on a routine once I plateau with the beginner routine. Also btw for the next day we should be going up in weight right for squats and stuff?

Yup yup. You should be adding 10lbs to lower body lifts and 5lbs to upper body lifts every single workout. You should be able to maintain this progress for a decent period of time but eventually it will become unsustainable. You should then add 5lbs to lower body lifts and 2.5lbs to upper body lifts every workout.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yup yup. You should be adding 10lbs to lower body lifts and 5lbs to upper body lifts every single workout. You should be able to maintain this progress for a decent period of time but eventually it will become unsustainable. You should then add 5lbs to lower body lifts and 2.5lbs to upper body lifts every workout.
Awesome thanks was kinda unsure about that and the amount to increase.

sphinx

the piano man
Yup, time goes up fast.

Today, a bunch of people asked me how many sets I had left on the squat rack when I was warning up, told them I'd be finished in around 40 mins. One of the guys seemed quite taken aback. I didn't want to feel like a hog so I asked if they wanted to work in, no one obliged.

;_;

the same thing happened to me with the deadlifting guy some days ago, he obstructed my workout for 30 minutes, at least... :(

the problem is gyms having only 1 squat rack... taking turns isn't an option when the guy is DL'ing over 150 kgs and I am squatting 80 kgs.. the change of weight and plates is sooo annoying, I'd rather wait.

what I do is, if someone will take long then I tell them I am the next one in line and go do something else, some minor stuff like bicep curls, calf raises or ab stuff then come back, hardly an ideal workout plan but that's the best I can come up with...

EDIT: well, I might as well share, just fooling around with some before/after stuff here (bad camera on the right is bad camera)

beforeafterclothes_zpsa1d362ca.jpg

ILoveBish

Great post, grats on your progress :)

daaaaayum.gif

Major props man, keep it up.

Welcome to FitGaf!!!!

Thanks guys.

Well damn, I need to start going to the gym by myself too. Been goin with friends but now I'm sure they are all broscience since they ignore me or brush off anything I say when I show them all the info from the OP. Have not seen any meaningful gains since they don't have a set routine and like your cousin no leg day and a bunch of iso exercises. Had a feeling Gaf was right but was mostly paranoid about my form for squats, deadlifts, etc so I never followed through on doin SS. But screw it gonna start the beginner routine like I wanted to and of course just realized I need proper weightlifting shoes, so I guess I should buy some cheap chucks somewhere.

I use chucks and doing just fine. SS is excellent and really rewarding.

Welcome brah, glad to see things working for you and you're on the journey with us all! You'll never find a better place for good folks and great advice.

huzzah! Congrats dood. Glad to hear your success story! Keep it up!

Thanks everyone, love this community.

Big day tomorrow. My first Carb Nite ever tomorrow, after 9 days on rigorous 30g carbs plan.

How much am I supposed to pig out? On a normal day I eat around 2000 - 2200 kcal.

Here's my plan

- Pick N Mix for Man of Steel screening
- for dinner vegetable soup for starters
- Gnocchi for main course
- Liquorice Creme Brulee for dessert

not sure if that's enough for a Carb Nite..?

Yah, ive only done 2 carb nites so far, and i also feel like i didnt eat enough carbs both times. Problem is, on carb nite (basically keto diet till the carb nite), i actually never feel the need to go crazy since keto keeps you feeling not hungry most of the day anyway. I also eat lots of good stuff on the diet like chicken wings with greek yogurt dip sauce, cauliflower pizzas and meatzzas, protein cheesecakes, meatballs, etc etc. So im never actually craving anything in particular, which makes carb nite itself not super big deal for me. There is also a painful transition so far for me going from carb nite back to keto, takes a day or 2 to adjust. Maybe its still early for me however. Good luck.

Tash

the same thing happened to me with the deadlifting guy some days ago, he obstructed my workout for 30 minutes, at least... :(

the problem is gyms having only 1 squat rack... taking turns isn't an option when the guy is DL'ing over 150 kgs and I am squatting 80 kgs.. the change of weight and plates is sooo annoying, I'd rather wait.

what I do is, if someone will take long then I tell them I am the next one in line and go do something else, some minor stuff like bicep curls, calf raises or ab stuff then come back, hardly an ideal workout plan but that's the best I can come up with...

EDIT: well, I might as well share, just fooling around with some before/after stuff here (bad camera on the right is bad camera)

Cheeeeeeeeeest looking awesome :)
We need shorts though.

Also, for all you booty and thigh lovers :p
(even though her form does not a bit off? She leans quite forward, no?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0eLHe-0mqk

despire

What is the best Quest bar flavor that is available from Amazon? Or is the GNC much cheaper? Might just order some from Amazon instead of hunting around for a GNC while I'm in USA.

Also decided to get those Schiek Dowel Straps from Amazon. I don't really need them at the moment but they are pretty cheap and I will probably need them at some point in the future. Sooner or later. We don't have anything like that available in Finland.

Matugi

Checking in at 151.5 this morning, down 12.5 pounds since beginning my cut and have moved from 16% to 14.5% body fat. I have 6.5 lbs left. I haven't lost much if any strength IIRC, maybe my bench max has dropped from 275 to 265 but even then I'm not sure.

sphinx

the piano man
Cheeeeeeeeeest looking awesome :)

Thanks.

There's almost a 7 kgs difference between those pics, I barely see it though. my only pride is that I am the same jeans size so I've managed to keep the dirty buking unter control.

We need shorts though.

hehe, you mean wanna see some legs? cause if I show, then you'd show too, right? lol :D

Szu

Nice, you really filled out pretty well.

SeanR1221

Sphinx you are going from little wiener man to badass.

Shins are completely chewed up from deads yesterday. Someone at work was like "what the hell happened to your legs!?"

Tash

Thanks.

There's almost a 7 kgs difference between those pics, I barely see it though. my only pride is that I am the same jeans size so I've managed to keep the dirty buking unter control.

hehe, you mean wanna see some legs? cause if I show, then you'd show too, right? lol :D

After a month of workouts maybe. Nothing to see yet :p

Petrie

Banned
I have a pretty radical approach to diet and exercise. I'm very open to experimentation. This fast is semi-inspired by Kelly Slater. He fasts a few times a year in addition to lots of stretching and strenuous exercise. My spin on it is lots of stretching prior to light lifting and light cardio. And it's only a few days without eating so it's also a mental challenge. In my experience my body reacts well to a shock.

Well this thread tends to follow science and real evidence, so you're going to have trouble getting much of a response here. There isn't much to back up what you're doing.

I hit a personal best of 155 on the bench press on Monday. Mind you, at the beginning of the year I was around 115-120. Amazing what happens when you develop a plan and adhere to it. Like most of you all mentioned in this thread, I add a little bit of weight to the bar each day. Even if it's only 2.5 lbs, it's going on. Obviously, that and in the increases reps and sets have really worked out well for me. Really pleased with my progress considering my weight has remained stable between 127-132lbs. And for the guy lamenting the fact that his GNC doesn't have any Quest Bars, I feel for you! Come down to San Antonio, all my local GNC's are stocked to the brim.

Noema

I hit a personal best of 155 on the bench press on Monday. Mind you, at the beginning of the year I was around 115-120. Amazing what happens when you develop a plan and adhere to it. Like most of you all mentioned in this thread, I add a little bit of weight to the bar each day. Even if it's only 2.5 lbs, it's going on.

Even if you only added 2.5lb to your bench a week, that's still 130lb a year, which is a lot of weight to add to the bench. And a lot of people don't get that. They want to do 50lb jumps. They are the ones that don't get very far. The tortoise beats the hare.

Some bros at my gym were gloating the other day about how they never use plates smaller than 25lb and that they never warm up after they saw me warmup with the empty bar and then scour for the 2.5lb plates. I mean, really? On very few places will you ever see the amount of retardation you'll find in comercial gyms.

Vio-Lence

Banned
new cycle of 5/3/1 bench press starting today. 175, 205, 230. planning on hitting 8 reps at 230.

edit:

decrease in body weight combined with an increase in chest hair, bonus points.

So who here does HST workout? I've started it about 3 months ago, first bulking up to get a bit of muscle and now cutting down. At the end of the bulk I was 213, then last I checked I was at 207 in about 2 weeks. The good thing is that I feel like I'm actually getting stronger but my belly fat is going down considerably. Maybe it's the newbie gains but I'll continue to try it out so long as it works.

bro1

Banned
Hi Guys, I need some help with this workout.

My UC is flaring right now which means that I'm going to be in some discomfort to say the least over the next few weeks until i get it cleared up. However, it is very important that I continue to exercise as the stress relief and health benefits are important to my recovery.

I've been doing a 4 day split for the past 60 days. I need to shorten that go back to whole body workouts until I am feeling better. What do you think of this:
Squats 3x10
OHP 3x10
Deadlift 3x5
Weighted Dip 3x10
Wehighted Chin 3x10
EZ Curl 1x10

I will do this either every other day or every 2 days depending on how I feel and my recovery. Thoughts?

bumpkin

For several years I've made a resolution at New Years to "get in-shape", and every year I never stick to it. This was the first year in many that I didn't bother. But a month or so ago, I realized something. I'm starting to get chubby. And if my family genes are any indication, I'm clearly doing something wrong. Both my father and mother have always been super skinny.

I mean it's no mystery *what* I'm doing, it was just a matter of realizing it and taking steps to turn things around. Since I was little, I've been a soda drinker. The past few years it's reached all-time highs, averaging anywhere from 40-64 ounces of Pepsi or Coca-Cola a day. Meanwhile I work a 9-5 desk job (as a software engineer) and don't exercise outside of playing ice hockey for an hour or two once a week.

When I was 17, I was 6'1" and around 135 lbs soaking wet. Had a bit of baby fat around my waist, pretty much the only "fat" on my body. After a few years of working a desk job (around 21), I was up to 165 lbs. The baby fat had grown, indiscriminately hiding my abs. For a year or so, I started going to the gym religiously and lifting weights. By the time I stopped going, I had beefed up to around 185 lbs. Still had the love handles though.

Now I find myself turning 33 in a month and up to 190 lbs; even cracked 205 late last year. I haven't been lifting weights for 9 or 10 years, so most if not all of my muscle mass and definition has diminished. Unshapely would be the best way to describe my state. Something needs to change.

A month ago, I set out on a quest... Sign up for a gym membership. Get with a trainer to have a routine laid out for me. Try to get to the gym at least 3 times a week. Start watching what I eat more in terms of saturated fats and cholesterol, but also calories to an extent.

The routine the trainer gave me consists of:

• Lunges, 3 sets (warm-up)
  • Planks, 4 sets, holding for 30 secs each
  • Thrusters, 5 sets of 5 (25/25/30/30/30)
  • Jump Lunges, 3 sets of 10
  • Push-Ups on a Bosu Ball, 4 sets of 10
  • Lat-Pulldown and Incline Bench Press super-set, 3 sets of 8-10 reps of both (70/85/100, 30)
  • Front dumbell lifts w/ a kettle ball, 4 sets of 8 (20 lb)
  • Bosu Ball step-overs, 4 sets of 15 secs intervals
  • Leg raises, 3 sets of 10

Yesterday was a month to the day that I started this quest. The first time I weighed myself since doing so. While I don't really notice any dramatic difference looking in the mirror, the scale told a different story....

5/12/2013 - 190 lbs
6/12/2013 - 182 lbs

And it should be worth noting, it's been almost a week and a half since I stopped drinking sugary soda! It's my hope that this will help make the results more dramatic when I weigh in next month.

Here's hoping that my progress continues and that someday, hopefully in a few months, I'll see my abs for the first time in my life! :D

I'm not much of a self picture guy, but maybe later I'll snap one of where I'm at now and start taking one every month. It certainly might help motivate me to see the results that I'm not going to notice seeing myself daily.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda enjoy the people skipping leg day just because it sort of functions like a "what your body is vs what your body is capable of" - looks stupid, but it's kind of neat to look at and see what they would be w/o a workout program.

Noema

Hi Guys, I need some help with this workout.

My UC is flaring right now which means that I'm going to be in some discomfort to say the least over the next few weeks until i get it cleared up. However, it is very important that I continue to exercise as the stress relief and health benefits are important to my recovery.

I've been doing a 4 day split for the past 60 days. I need to shorten that go back to whole body workouts until I am feeling better. What do you think of this:
Squats 3x10
OHP 3x10
Deadlift 3x5
Weighted Dip 3x10
Wehighted Chin 3x10
EZ Curl 1x10

I will do this either every other day or every 2 days depending on how I feel and my recovery. Thoughts?

Looks like a lot of volume to me if you are training for strength.

What sort of programming have you been doing?

What is the progression like in the program you listed?

Have you tried 531?

sphinx

the piano man
Nice, you really filled out pretty well.

Thanks! :)

the shirt on the right was bought to show that, I admit it, lol but I don't use it on everyday activites, Mostly for the bar or hanging out with friends at night.

Sphinx you are going from little wiener man to badass.

I have to agree. That black shirt, it's amazing how I didn't fill it in the least back then and now it feels really tight from the outer chest, I'll try another pic with it for a fair and more honest comparison.

@sphinx: filled out nicely good sir.

kind of, I am having some image distortion issues now, I don't see myself muscled because I am not and I am not "slim" anymore either, which makes me just a fat guy... that's not saying I dislike me, I wouldn't have posted the pic if I didn´t like me, I just don't know how to label me, that's all.

but thanks!

she'll want all of us in shorts before posting her progress pics, good thing summer is around the corner, we will bring on the heat to the thread :D.

This guy skipped leg day so much he doesn't even know what a leg is.

this is photoshopped, surely..... right? How can he walk? maybe he had some bad disease or an accident?

Felt like showing my progress today

congrats! :) nice progress. I'd love to have your chest hair, smooth baby chest here.

Mark1

I've noticed the past couple of times at the gym I have been feeling sick in the middle of working out. Could this be because I'm pushing myself too hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom