• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Amazing stuff. Hope I can do that when I'm the same age.

A bit off of the topic, but I noticed the way she was holding the bar in that video (one palm facing inward, one facing outward), and I realized I see a lot of people doing the same thing at the gym. Is there some benefit to it?

It allows you to grip heavier weight. Only use it when you have maxed out your overhand grip and it is limiting your lift.

despire

Got back from US yesterday. I'm not sure if it's the 7 hrs difference in time or the fact that I was up over a day with just a few hours of sleep, but I still feel horrible. Like I have a hangover. Also my throat is sore from the overly dry air aboard the airplane. Last night was also pretty bad since I woke up constantly and couldn't sleep after 3 am. Finally I decided to just get to work earlier (at 5.30 am).

Anyway the vacation was amazing. Got to do all sorts of cool stuff and eat a lot of great food. Measured my weight yesterday and I put on ~10lbs of (water) weight. Let's see what the actual damage is after a couple of days of allmost zero carb.

Thinking I need to hit the gym tomorrow since it's been two weeks since I did anything. Hopefully I'm feeling better by then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It allows you to grip heavier weight. Only use it when you have maxed out your overhand grip and it is limiting your lift.

Good to know! I had no idea it actually made the lift somewhat easier.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I'm being offered $50 a session to help my new gym friend by spotting him and putting up weights. I usually just spotted him when i went to do SS but damn guessing I should take the offer.

despire

The Greyskull Method for Powerbuilding ebook finally came out like a week ago or so. It's not that long but it's a good read and I find the program interesting. Here's a writeup:

Program is divided into A and B days. These two are further divided into A1 / A2 and B1 / B2. So four different days basically.

A1 = Chest / Shoulders / Squats
A2 = Chest (Tricep focus) / Shoulders / Squats
B1 = Biceps / Back 1 / Back 2
B2 = Biceps / Back 1 / Back 2

Workout days are 3x week:
A1, B1, A2,
B2, A1, B1

Each category contains a list of exercises which you will cycle in and out when progress is stalled for two workouts a row in one exercise. So for example when you stall in Flat Bench Press you will substitute it with Incline Bench Press. When Incline BP stalls you might return back to Flat BP and continue with that again.

Exercises in categories are as follows:
Chest = Different kinds of bench presses, BP or DP
Chest (Tricep focus) = For example CGBP, Reverse Grip BP etc..
Shoulders = Different kinds of presses, hang clean and press etc..
Squats = Back Squats or Front Squats
Biceps = All kinds of curls
Back 1 = These are the "back width" movements: pulldowns and chin ups etc..
Back 2 = "Back thickness" movements: deadlifts, rows etc..

Rep ranges are 6-8x for most lifts instead of the normal 5x in GSLP/SS/SL. Squats use several different rep ranges (4-6x, 10-12x etc..) from which you can choose and change them around if needed.

Example two weeks of program as outlined in the book:

Monday A1
Chest: Incline Bench Press 2 x 6-8
Shoulders: Seated Behind the Neck Press 2 x 6-8
Squat: Squat 1 x 10-12

Wednesday B1
Biceps: EZ Curl Drag Curl 1 x 5-20 reps Rest Paused
Back 1: V-Handle Pulldown 2 x 6-8
Back 2: Sumo Deadlift 1 x 6-8 reps

Friday A2
Chest (Tricep Focus): Close Grip Bench Press 2 x 6-8
Shoulders: Press 2 x 6-8
Squat: Squat 1 x 15-20

Monday B2
Biceps: Alternating Dumbbell Curl 1 x 12-15
Back 1: Weighted Chin-up 2 x 6-8 reps
Back 2: Rack Pull1 x 6-8 reps

Wednesday A1
Chest: Incline Bench Press 2 x 6-8
Shoulders: Seated Behind the Neck Press 2 x 6-8
Squat: Squat 1 x 10-12

Friday B1
Biceps: EZ Curl Drag Curl 15-20 reps Rest Paused
Back 1: V-Handle Pulldown 2 x 6-8 reps
Back 2: Sumo Deadlift 1 x 6-8 reps

Like I said this is just the example from the book. Noteworthy is that there's only two work sets for all lifts except squats/deadlifts, which have only one work set. I've never seen a program that has only one set of squats but apparently it works. I don't think you need to change lifts so that you do a different one every day if you don't want. I believe it's possible to do for example the normal Press every "shoulder" day if you want instead of switching around. But of course the A1 / A2 days will have a different exercise as the first exercise of the day and it's necessarily not optimal to deadlift every B day.

I'm planning on trying this program sooner or later since it's a natural progression from GSLP. My only gripe is really that I get to do T-Bar Rows only every fourth workout and I like them.

More stuff in the book:
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.co...oducts/the-greyskull-method-for-powerbuilding

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am trying to get a bit more systematic on my accessory lifts. I'm doing SS three times a week, and seem to recover fine. I have had one or very rarely two accessory days which seems to be ok for recovery.

I find that SS is hitting less my biceps and pecs. I also find that my delts and lats are proportionately weak and smaller. So the idea of my accessory work is to improve these areas. Here is what I am thinking. I am training with a friend.

Target
Lats, Delts, Pecs, Biceps

Pull
Pull-Ups 3 x max
T-Bar rows 4 x 8-10
Barbell rows 4 x 8-10
Skull Crusher 3 x 10
Dumbell rows 3 x 10
Preacher curls 4 x 8-10

Push
Dips 3 x max
Shoulder Press 3 x 10
Arnold Press 3 x 8-10
Moving Pushups 1 x to fail

Intensity
I Go / You Go

Simplet

Success! 315x4 on BB bench weighing 185 pounds. I was benching next to some big dudes who also had 3 plates on. It felt way better than it should have. ;)

Okay I'm already depressed before asking my question but here goes :

Does anyone know how I can stop my bench from stalling? I'm doing the OP workout and I'm happy with it, everything is improving nicely (slower than at the beginning though) except my bench which seems to be going backward.

Yesterday I was aiming for 5x150k (330lbs) in deadlift, I did it and it was surprisingly not that hard. Some people seemed to think that wasn't bad in another thread. But I've been trying to go over 90kgs on the bench for a while, and I can't do it for the life of me. I couldn't even finish 5x85k x3 with good form yesterday, I feel I should have been over 100K by know. I did Insanity a few hours before going to the gym but that shouldn't really influence that exercise.

When I was improving my numbers regularly I went to 90kgs before I was really ready, and I did it two or three workout in a row with terrible form, expecting it to get better. I'm guessing I need to really go back down and get perfect form?

Darren870

I did Insanity a few hours before going to the gym but that shouldn't really influence that exercise.

Sure it will, you are wearing out your body. Unless its a good 6 hours you will feel it (and even that's debatable). Try not doing that next time.

I find dumbbells allow me to lift more when changing to the bar. Could be just me though. Unfortunately I've maxed out the dumbbells at my work gym so now I can only progress with the bar at my local gym, which I only get to use 1-2 days a week.

ILoveBish

Todays #s:

320 3x5 squats
210 3x5 barbell bench press
210 3x5 pandalay rows

New PR on the squats. I sent a video of my squats to Noema (i am very camera shy so i didnt post it publicly) and his advice helped a lot, i got the 320 easy. This is all on a cut on the carb nite/ketosis diet. In a month or so, i may stop going to the gym to help this diet go along faster, i feel like i am making gains too easily even on the cut and its stopping me from losing weight quicker. I am not sure tho, i am not 100% on it.

mehdi_san

Yea pretty much. That is why I suggested another bench with a dumbbell set so you can still bench with dumbbells. Then one more olympic bar so you can deadlift if someone is squatting or benching. Also if you get the cage you don't need that dip/pullup bar thing.

If you do what you said then you're just getting racks/holders, but those things don't move easily....

I don't really know the space. You said it but I'm horrible at picturing things. I would suggest you draw things out in paint or something. Just so you know how packed its going to be.
Thanks again for all the advices. I made an estimate of all the stuff we talked about, and if I get the green light from the company, I'll start ordering online.

Meanwhile, just bought Starting Strength on kindle and started reading it. Really excited (and kinda nervous) to start barbell training.

PBY

Banned
Man... Personal trainers are such a fucking scam, at least at my gym.

They actively impeded people's progress.

This girl is overweight, her session is 30 mins- spends 10 minutes doing pulldowns with bands.

And her form isn't even good.

Petrie

Banned

If you need people to be out of shape and "need" your help to do basic excercises and such, then your going to cater your methods to ensuring they continue to rely on that crutch.

SeanR1221

This girl is overweight, her session is 30 mins- spends 10 minutes doing pulldowns with bands.

And her form isn't even good.

Yup. Worst part is when I see people that have been using a personal trainer for months and they barely look like they are pushing themselves and stand and chat half the time with the trainer.

SeanR1221

Oh and the absolute worst thing I ever saw a trainer have a client do? He brought a bench to the smith machine, made a girl bend over the bench and face away from the smith, then she put the bottom of her foot on the bottom of the smith bar and pressed up in some whacky reverse leg press thing

PBY

Banned
Oh and the absolute worst thing I ever saw a trainer have a client do? He brought a bench to the smith machine, made a girl bend over the bench and face away from the smith, then she put the bottom of her foot on the bottom of the smith bar and pressed up in some whacky reverse leg press thing
Doesn't surprise me at all.

My theory is that the trainers try to cook up the craziest lifts, so their clients can't recreate them. This dude is on something right now, the smith machine is covered w bands.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean by macros?

Sorry for the delay - basically - are you still needing protein? How much are you taking in? You almost can't get too much protein in a day. All protein forevermore!

Short ver: drink the shake

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Todays #s:

320 3x5 squats
210 3x5 pandalay rows

New PR on the squats. I sent a video of my squats to Noema (i am very camera shy so i didnt post it publicly) and his advice helped a lot, i got the 320 easy. This is all on a cut on the carb nite/ketosis diet. In a month or so, i may stop going to the gym to help this diet go along faster, i feel like i am making gains too easily even on the cut and its stopping me from losing weight quicker. I am not sure tho, i am not 100% on it.

Umm......What? Stop going to the gym to help this diet go along faster?? Please explain because I think this is a bad bad idea! I've had strength gains on a cut. It doesn't mean it's hindering your cut.

So the secret is telling your arms to grow? lol

Fuck training arms daily though. You'll look like the majority of people, big ass arms, no legs and no shoulders.

lol yeah but I feel like my arms are disproportionately small compared to my legs. It's like the opposite problem most people have.

any good forearm exercises as well?

despire

Umm......What? Stop going to the gym to help this diet go along faster?? Please explain because I think this is a bad bad idea! I've had strength gains on a cut. It doesn't mean it's hindering your cut.

Sounds like he's only interested in reaching some arbitrary goal weight when he shouldn't be. I'd be thrilled if I was making strength gains on a cut. You'll just look all the better when it's over.

Very bad idea indeed.

jimbor

Banned
Hi FitGAF!

I have an SS question which I think I may already know the answer for (basically 'You're not doing the program!) but I've been doing Starting Strength for just under a month and I'm starting phase 2 ie alternating deadlifts with powercleans. Looking ahead to phase 3, it starts to include chins. However, I already do three sets of ten chins after my SS lifting has finished, three times a week.

Is this okay or should I drop them or cut them down to alternate sessions?

Thanks.

andycapps

Switching to 5/3/1 from a couple rounds of Starting Strength. If I have no clue what my 1RM is, but I was doing 3x5 as part of starting strength, do I calculate 1RM based on the 5 repetitions or 15?

Carbonox

What are some alternative and reliable calorie calculators out there? Or if anyone knows their caloric requirements very well here then can someone calculate what a 200lb 5ft 9" guy would require? I'm currently stalling a bit now and some sites say 4000+ is now the requirement to gain weight but then others throw some other values and ridiculously low numbers around. I'm going with 4000+ because it makes the most sense (been hitting around 3500 for quite a while now which is where I'm stalling but on the other hand has been helpful in getting to where I am now).

I'm aware that in general, calorie calculators are pretty much unreliable. Still, I'd rather not be shooting in the dark and instead get a rough range to ensure I hit every day.

I am trying to get a bit more systematic on my accessory lifts. I'm doing SS three times a week, and seem to recover fine. I have had one or very rarely two accessory days which seems to be ok for recovery.

I find that SS is hitting less my biceps and pecs. I also find that my delts and lats are proportionately weak and smaller. So the idea of my accessory work is to improve these areas. Here is what I am thinking. I am training with a friend.

Target
Lats, Delts, Pecs, Biceps

Pull
Pull-Ups 3 x max
T-Bar rows 4 x 8-10
Barbell rows 4 x 8-10
Skull Crusher 3 x 10
Dumbell rows 3 x 10
Preacher curls 4 x 8-10

Push
Dips 3 x max
Shoulder Press 3 x 10
Arnold Press 3 x 8-10
Moving Pushups 1 x to fail

Intensity
I Go / You Go

You know skull crushers are like solely a triceps exercise right? Just checking.
What's I Go/ You Go?

Todays #s:

320 3x5 squats
210 3x5 pandalay rows

I'm guessing you're very overweight to feel like this?
As a skinny guy it's very easy for me to say this (and hard to empathise) but I think you should definitely continue to hit the weights, push your strength gains because if you are creating more muscle, more lean body mass, you will look better once your diet is done than if you just only dieted.

I know it can be frustrating when your weightloss isn't progressing as fast as you want it to but my advice is to take it slow and keep pushing the gains because it will produce a nicer result in the end.

Hi FitGAF!

I have an SS question which I think I may already know the answer for (basically 'You're not doing the program!) but I've been doing Starting Strength for just under a month and I'm starting phase 2 ie alternating deadlifts with powercleans. Looking ahead to phase 3, it starts to include chins. However, I already do three sets of ten chins after my SS lifting has finished, three times a week.

Is this okay or should I drop them or cut them down to alternate sessions?

Thanks.

I'm not exactly a stickler for strict programming anyway but I wouldn't worry about it personally. As long as it doesn't impact on your lifts, it ain't no thang.

What are some alternative and reliable calorie calculators out there? Or if anyone knows their caloric requirements very well here then can someone calculate what a 200lb 5ft 9" guy would require? I'm currently stalling a bit now and some sites say 4000+ is now the requirement to gain weight but then others throw some other values and ridiculously low numbers around. I'm going with 4000+ because it makes the most sense (been hitting around 3500 for quite a while now which is where I'm stalling but on the other hand has been helpful in getting to where I am now).

I'm aware that in general, calorie calculators are pretty much unreliable. Still, I'd rather not be shooting in the dark and instead get a rough range to ensure I hit every day.

Myfitnesspal.com for calculating how many calories you are eating.
http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ to calculate how many calories you should be eating (also calculates how many calories you should be eating rest/workout day, as well as macros)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Greyskull Method for Powerbuilding ebook finally came out like a week ago or so. It's not that long but it's a good read and I find the program interesting. Here's an outline:

Really good writeup - my brother is a SUPER beginner and might go this route with him. It kinda sucks because he's adding all sorts of extra shit to basic SS because he doesn't feel tired enough. Convincing him to pace himself and that it'll escalate on its own as he goes is getting tough.

If I'm reading it right, it too recommends around 4000 or more. Sounds fair enough. Thank you for the link.

It's also an excellent calculator for cutting, or trying to bulk up in a clean fashion (with weight gained being primarily muscle over fat, though you'll still get some fat afaik).
You might not have to concern yourself with that though if your problem is gaining in general.

Took a photo last night. Compared it to my starting photo. Back looking slightly better/stronger. Photos incomin' ahoy!

Before (1st of June)

trnningsmilepleogmlstgjssi.jpg

After (1st of July)

Petrie

Banned
It's also an excellent calculator for cutting, or trying to bulk up in a clean fashion (with weight gained being primarily muscle over fat, though you'll still get some fat afaik).
You might not have to concern yourself with that though if your problem is gaining in general.

According to this calculator I'm a bit too low on lifting days. Will adjust accordingly. I welcome the extra foodstuffs!

despire

Interesting. Thanks for the writeup!
Really good writeup - my brother is a SUPER beginner and might go this route with him. It kinda sucks because he's adding all sorts of extra shit to basic SS because he doesn't feel tired enough. Convincing him to pace himself and that it'll escalate on its own as he goes is getting tough.

I think I got the most important stuff covered. The gist of the program is pretty much the fact that you cycle the lifts in and out instead of deloading all the time. After a while doing some similar but different lift you should be able to return to the previous one and gain some new ground again. Also in the book is some stuff about implementing forced reps and rest pause training to the mix. Also more exact rep ranges for the couple of lifts that use something other than 6-8. DB lifts use mostly 8-10 for example.

The book is pretty much written for a more knowledgeable lifter since it doesn't really explain that much about the program, just lays it out. I would also think that the weight increments are the same as in GSLP (2,5lbs for upper body and 5lbs for lower body). Although I think you can make bigger hops if needed and as long as you can stay within the required rep range.

I can answer questions if you have them :)

Chittagong

Gold Member
You know skull crushers are like solely a triceps exercise right? Just checking.
What's I Go/ You Go?

Ha, you are right. I was thinking of dumbell pullovers of course. I do them sideways on a bench so that my shoulders are on the bench.

I go / You go, term from Arnold's book someone recommended here, simply means that when your partner has completed his set you do yours.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Took a photo last night. Compared it to my starting photo. Back looking slightly better/stronger. Photos incomin' ahoy!

Before (1st of June)

After (1st of July)

Your lower back is lookin much better, keep on keepin on my friend. The statue is being built!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom