• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awww yisss.

Mutha. Fuckin. 82,5kg (181,8 lbs) squats.

Good form too! Major success! I can aim for 85 on friday! hot diggity! :)

Can't wait to try 55 kg on the bench too!

By the words of my good buddy james Brown: I feel good!

I also met an interesting guy at the squat racks today. He weighs 71 kg, very lean looking and wants to add about 6 kgs more of muscles. So I asked him if he eats enough, he confirms, then I proceed to ask if that means he eats alot/bulks. He says: "naw man, I don't wanna get fat, anybody can do that ".

Am I missing something here fit-GAF?

ILoveBish

All I can do is offer my 'cookbook' which is very little cookin at all.

Buy plenty of deli cuts - pepper jack cheese w/salami as a 'sandwich' is my breakfast most days and gets me going on if I have some hunger. I also pick up sliced ham, put cheese on it and microwave it and eat it like that. Buy boneless skinless chicken breast. Eat burger patties w/o the bread or toppings. Just meat meat meat cheese meat meat meat. Introduce some veggies as well but CAREFULLY track them if you're going to eat them. Almonds are nice too. And zillions of eggs. Eggs! Scramble them fuckers, cook em six different ways, add meat, add cheese, pepper them shits, whatever it takes. I usually eat about 6-8 eggs if I cook eggs. I make it count.

Keto isn't for everyone but it's a very easy thing to do. The first 2 days are toughest, then you will roll over it and no longer be a slave to food. You WILL lose weight if you keep discipline. You WILL lose weight if you don't cheat and are honest with yourself and what you're eating. With keto, a small break -can- get you. After a month or two of successful keto you may want to look into Carb Nite. Gives you what's BASICALLY a cheat evening.

I'm always praising keto but that's because it worked for me, and worked great.

Also throw out your scale. Fuck watching numbers. Go by how you feel. Liberating.

I was 292 when I started carb nite. I hit 283 after 3 weeks. Since then I've been hovering at 285-286, it's been 2 weeks since that point. I try not to check the scale other then once a week. And my clothes fit better, visibly I look better and I am lifting more then ever at the gym, always making gains. I'm just confused if I am doing something wrong. I want the number to go down lol.

Matugi

What are some good stretches for tight calves and hip flexors? I'm trying to fix my form for squats so I don't get the dreaded butt wink and have isolated my problems to a lack of flexibility in these areas.

Mark1

The standard advice for skinny-fat people that want to look fit is to focus on strength gains and muscle building, not on losing the little fat you have. In general, if a skinny-fat guy cuts, he finds he went from skinny-fat to just really skinny, and still doesn't like the way he looks at all. Focusing on building muscle brings the dude towards his goal body faster than losing those couple pounds of squish.

Disclaimer: I am not super-fit or super-experienced and am regurgitating previous internet wisdom here. If a more experienced person overrules me you should consider listening to him instead.
It might be a form of body Dysmorphia as well, since family and some friends are saying I'm looking good. Yeah the general idea is muscle building should be done first for my "skinny-fat" thing, even though it is fucking frustrating with this plateau but may be getting solved now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was 292 when I started carb nite. I hit 283 after 3 weeks. Since then I've been hovering at 285-286, it's been 2 weeks since that point. I try not to check the scale other then once a week. And my clothes fit better, visibly I look better and I am lifting more then ever at the gym, always making gains. I'm just confused if I am doing something wrong. I want the number to go down lol.

Brah toss that scale. Go on feeling. You can't go wrong. Shit's getting good for you, stay the course.

Cudder

I have a friend who just wants to build up certain areas of his body (mainly chest/arms go figure) so whenever he does legs he does 20lb squats for 50 reps because he "doesn't want his thighs to get bigger" smh.

Hey all! I started low carb a couple weeks ago (to good success so far), but I haven't been able to find any reliable answers to my current question elsewhere on the net: How huge of a hindrance to weight loss would it be if I were to have a carbalicious meal once every two weeks? As it is right now, I've been eating less than 30 carbs a day. Would I still lose weight and stay in ketosis if I had a few slices of real pizza, for example? I'm trying to think long term about this, and I feel like I'll have a much higher rate of success if I know I can have the rare unrestricted meal a couple times a month.

Dear workout Gaf

I'm looking for a good obliques workout. Ive been going to the gym about 5 days a week now since november. Ive gone from 205lbs to 170lbs (lowest ive been since workout was 166lbs) I'm on a good diet and have cut back on drinking but my obliques is what im having the worst trouble getting rid of. I drink a gallon of water a day and i feel i do a lot of cardio. I used to work out with a buddy of mine but he is now away in the military. He got me off my ass and where i am today. The current workout i do for my abs/obliques are 125 crunches on a bench that bends up and i also do sidebends with 45lbs olympic weights.

My most common routine is 25 mins on the treadmill inclined at 15 (highest it goes) at speed of 4 (power walking)
then do 5x10 side bends @45lbs
125 crunches
10x10 squats 50lbs

some other things i do are 10x10 pushups
as many pull ups as i can (start dead hanging)
10x10 box jumps
5x.30 sec planks

so im trying to get a good obliques workout to go along with my routine
i have a gym pass so thats where i go (24hr gym)

height 5'11

Thanks in advance

Mark1

Spent 3 hrs in the gym this morning. Adding ab work out than a seperate day.

Now standing in line for a buffet
That's way too much time to spend in the gym, you'll end up releasing too much of the stress hormone in your body which inflicts your gains (I learnt that several months after doing it)

Question about deadlifts.

Do I lock my knees/keep them slightly bent when doing deadlifts or can I use them(barely, not squat like) as I get up and go back down?

Imm0rt4l

routine-e.png

Layne Norton's stationary bike routine for burning fat. Saw this on fitocracy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I dread the day that squats are going to become overly difficult, because they are pretty much my favorite exercise right now. I was able to add on 10 lbs today (have been adding just 5 lbs every other day up until now), and it wasn't even really that bad. I've gone from initially struggling with 95 lbs on 6/23/2013 to doing 125 lbs without too much trouble today on 7/3/2013. Maybe I was just in good condition today.

Unfortunately, that didn't translate to my overhead presses. I've only done the exercise for three sessions now, but I can't seem to progressively increase the weight like other exercises. I started at 55 lbs, went up to 60 lbs (could barely handle it) on the next session, but I couldn't go up to 65 lbs today. I seriously couldn't even get one full lift in. I brought it back down to 60 lbs and did fine, but I was shocked at the difference just 5 lbs can make.

Hopefully, I'll be able to see some gains there when I try again on Sunday.

routine-e.png

Bike HIIT? I've read a lot about HIIT being the best for conditioning yourself, but not being particularly great for fat loss. I don't really do cardio at the moment, anyway, so I wouldn't know, though.

Hey all! I started low carb a couple weeks ago (to good success so far), but I haven't been able to find any reliable answers to my current question elsewhere on the net: How huge of a hindrance to weight loss would it be if I were to have a carbalicious meal once every two weeks? As it is right now, I've been eating less than 30 carbs a day. Would I still lose weight and stay in ketosis if I had a few slices of real pizza, for example? I'm trying to think long term about this, and I feel like I'll have a much higher rate of success if I know I can have the rare unrestricted meal a couple times a month.

You're pretty much describing the "Carb Nite" routine by John Kiefer on which some people have reported great success. He claims that it's actually beneficial to spike your insulin dramatically a few times in a single night once every week or so because, not only will you not put be able to put on fat in that single night since your body has adapted to using fat as its primary source of energy, but by doing this, you are actually stimulating the release of a variety of fat-burning hormones that stick around for four days or so after the carb bombing.

I'm currently giving it a try in an attempt to get down to a lower body fat %, and I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Imm0rt4l

I dread the day that squats are going to become overly difficult, because they are pretty much my favorite exercise right now. I was able to add on 10 lbs today (have been adding just 5 lbs every other day up until now), and it wasn't even really that bad. I've gone from initially struggling with 95 lbs on 6/23/2013 to doing 125 lbs without too much trouble today on 7/3/2013. Maybe I was just in good condition today.

Unfortunately, that didn't translate to my overhead presses. I've only done the exercise for three sessions now, but I can't seem to progressively increase the weight like other exercises. I started at 55 lbs, went up to 60 lbs (could barely handle it) on the next session, but I couldn't go up to 65 lbs today. I seriously couldn't even get one full lift in. I brought it back down to 60 lbs and did fine, but I was shocked at the difference just 5 lbs can make.

Hopefully, I'll be able to see some gains there when I try again on Sunday.

Bike HIIT? I've read a lot about HIIT being the best for conditioning yourself, but not being particularly great for fat loss. I don't really do cardio at the moment, anyway, so I wouldn't know, though.

You're pretty much describing the "Carb Nite" routine by John Kiefer on which some people have reported great success. He claims that it's actually beneficial to spike your insulin dramatically a few times in a single night once every week or so because, not only will you not put be able to put on fat in that single night since your body has adapted to using fat as its primary source of energy, but by doing this, you are actually stimulating the release of a variety of fat-burning hormones that stick around for four days or so after the carb bombing.

I'm currently giving it a try in an attempt to get down to a lower body fat %, and I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

I've done hiit on a bike, the shit is no joke dude. Don't sleep. I know gym spin classes are fairly intense, those last close to an hour though so there's probably a good bit of coasting in those sessions, I'd only do it for maybe 20 minutes..

HIIT is great for everything afaik.

pretty much.

Dash27

Havent been able to lift seriously for almost 2 months. Life, work, injury, blah blah blah. Went in today, Squat 315 for 5, solid. Fuck. Yes. I am always paranoid I'm going to lose my strength overnight. I will take that. I'd have been happy with 275. Form was good and it was challenging but I could go more.

I know you guys will understand that I had to share with someone :)

ILoveBish

That's way too much time to spend in the gym, you'll end up releasing too much of the stress hormone in your body which inflicts your gains (I learnt that several months after doing it)

I've never heard this, im usually at the gym for 2.5 hours each time i go, but i take my time on the heavy lifts, and i warm up slowly (takes 20+ min to do warm up). There is also the usuals who chit chat. Never had a problem with gains.

Well after the 1 and half gym. I ate breakfast and attened a military brief

Just ate 6 steaks, crab legs, ribs, and ice cream.
Might go for another ice cream

Matugi

routine-e.png

Did something similar to this last week. Went to like level 7 resistance for 30 seconds then level 4 resistance for 90 seconds. Also works great outside: do your max gear for 30 seconds then switch to a lower gear for 90 seconds.

So for a guy with a really fast metabolism and who struggles to even get to the calorie intake that can match my own normal calorie burn.. How do you guys bulk up by eating more calories?

Like I said.. Wouldn't start until September but.. trying to think about how I will get there.

So for a guy with a really fast metabolism and who struggles to even get to the calorie intake that can match my own normal calorie burn.. How do you guys bulk up by eating more calories?

Like I said.. Wouldn't start until September but.. trying to think about how I will get there.

bake a cake and turn it into a milkshake

Hilti92

These guys will tell you no and they may be right but for me, I did the GOMAD diet and gained roughly 10-15lbs.

Eat often, like a hobbit.

If you manage to squeeze in 5-6 meals a day, each one 500 calories on average, that's a daily calorie intake of 2,500-3,000.
Hearty breakfast, a post-breakfast meal or protein shake (protein, or even gainer, shakes are always helpful), lunch, afternoon meal, dinner, post-dinner meal.

Don't do what I did at one point, which was to eat junk food to increase my calorific intake. It might be rich in calories, but it's not going to give you the carb/fat/protein ratios you need for a healthy gain that is primarily in muscle. There's no need for fast food even if you stick to multiple meals/shakes 5-6 times a day.

andycapps

Eat more. Milk,cheese, eggs, steak, bacon, ice cream if its in your macros. All the good stuff, man. Enjoy it because cutting is a lot harder.

Mark1

I've never heard this, im usually at the gym for 2.5 hours each time i go, but i take my time on the heavy lifts, and i warm up slowly (takes 20+ min to do warm up). There is also the usuals who chit chat. Never had a problem with gains.
Really? I was told by a few about those things in my previous post. A personal trainer was even one of them. What you're saying is encouraging though :D

Kawl_USC

Well stuck chilling in the airport for another hour and a half waiting on a delayed flight so figured I'd give a breakdown on how the first month of SS went cause sharing is sweet.

Started June 3rd:
Squat 205x5x3
Press 115x5x3
Dead Lift 225x5
Bench Press 185x5x3
Chin ups BWx5,4,2

Weights as of Monday and Today:
Squat 295x5x3
Press 155x5x3
Dead Lift 335x5x1
Bench Press 220x5x3 (I can taste the two plate bech!)
Chin ups BWx8,5,4

Overall, I only missed one day (W the 19th) due to being out of town for work. I'm super stoked to get to the gym every work out day and find myself bummed when it isn't MWF. I've put on probably around 5 pounds or so since I started and I'm sure some of that is fat cause I've been trying to eat a shit ton as well as introducing protein shakes after not having them for years. Still I'm hovering at 208 and can deal with the aesthetics when it comes to fat for now as I'm getting stronger and seeing gains like these.

I think I probably started a little low on most lifts but I figured it would be better to do that and make sure my form was good for everything cause that's definitely where I had lacked before (quarter squating way too much weight I'm ashamed to say). I've got to say I'm really happy with the progress I've made and I've almost hit several goals I had set for myself at the beginning already (3 plate squat and deadlift for reps, and 2 plate bench for reps). I expect for the gains to start slowin down because I have seen a marked increase in the difficulty when adding weight.

I'm a little disappointed I haven't seen a bigger increase in my chin ups, but I think that comes from still doing dead lifts every work out and right before I do chins so I think I'm usually just shot from that. I've started to work in some accessory stuff for now chins on Monday dips on Wednesday and vanity day Friday (biceps and triceps you know). I'm spending between an hour and a half and two hours in the gym depending on rack availability, accessory lifts, sauna time (any one got any opinions on the sauna? I love getting a good sweat on), and shower or not. I'm really loving the structure, stability, and constant gains from this program so far.

I've only failed and had to reset on squats so far. Tried to get 305 and had to bail on my second set. Been a little scared of squats since then failing on 300 the next work day, but I dropped down to 275 and focused on getting real deep and got back up to 295 today and feel good about at least 300 come next Monday. Missing my second day to go home and visit the folks for the holidays but I figured its what America would want me to do, and that fit gaf will forgive me for missing a day.

This thread has been an awesome inspiration and I have to say I got my first few quests bars on Monday completely due to the pages on pages of discussion on then in this thread haha. (CCCD >>> Brownie btw). So thanks guys, sorry for the long post.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well stuck chilling in the airport for another hour and a half waiting on a delayed flight so figured I'd give a breakdown on how the first month of SS went cause sharing is sweet.

Another success story. And this is just the beginning brother!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, Kawl, those are some impressive starting weights. Did you light weights previously to doing SS?

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm about to finish my first month of Starting Strength but of course I haven't kept track of all my progress. Have some weights here and there but not every session. Though I've seen progress like every session and now I have the book so I can get my form on track. Regardless though I'm quite happy with the results and I'm even more impressed with myself that I decided to just go to the gym by myself without worrying about the crutch of going with a friend that I used to have.

Kawl_USC

Jesus, Kawl, those are some impressive starting weights. Did you light weights previously to doing SS?

Yea I played football in high school so I lifted for two years there and then for the first three years of college I've varied in how serious I've been in working out, but I've never really had a program or gotten into strength training before so it's pretty night and day the gains I'm seeing here compared to what I saw when I was just dicking around doing whatever in the gym. But I was by no means a complete novice a month ago.

ZeroRay

So it looks like my back might be in worse shape that I thought. This past Tuesday, I felt pretty good doing 65lbs squats for 10 so I decided to try for 90 and I started having pain in my lower back region again. Stopped after rep 6. It's really not as bad as it was last week, and most of the pain is gone now, but it taught me not to get greedy when rehabbing.

Guess I'll have to deadlift and squat light these next couple of weeks while doing leg presses, leg curls and whatever the fuck else to keep my lower body from atrophying lol.

cryptic

I fear I've reached my genetic peak 5"7'' at 164:
Bench Press: 190
Deadlift 365
Squats 245

I just can't move up on any of these lifts no matter what I do: two week breaks, supplemental exercises, breathing squats, etc.

Now that I know this it's time to settle into a life of mediocrity.

Imm0rt4l

I fear I've reached my genetic peak 5"7'' at 164:
Bench Press: 190
Deadlift 365
Squats 245

I just can't move up on any of these lifts no matter what I do: two week breaks, supplemental exercises, breathing squats, etc.

Now that I know this it's time to settle into a life of mediocrity.

I doubt it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So asked this awhile back didn't get much of a reponse, maybe the new page will have more luck. My gym doesn't have a space for power cleans, so is there any other workout that is a good sub for that specific workout if I'm following Starting Strength?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So asked this awhile back didn't get much of a reponse, maybe the new page will have more luck. My gym doesn't have a space for power cleans, so is there any other workout that is a good sub for that specific workout if I'm following Starting Strength?

Everyone does bent-over rows instead, much to Rip's chagrin.

He's got some muscle. It's not just a cardio body. The broadness of his shoulders also doesn't just happen. Maybe for some it does but for me it sure doesn't.

It's hard to tell from the small picture but he doesn't really look muscular. All I see is biceps and that's easily had with low body fat and maybe training them a little bit. His shoulders don't even look broad to me.

Where do you do deadlift?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I started the GOMAD diet, or rather in my case, HAGOMAD diet (Half a gallon of milk a day), and have been doing so for like a week now. At first I was worried that it might give me some crazy stomach problems, but as weird as it may seem, I've had zero negative repercussions so far. Not only do I not have to go to the bathroom every fifteen minutes, but my bowel movements are even better than normal!

Eat often, like a hobbit.

If you manage to squeeze in 5-6 meals a day, each one 500 calories on average, that's a daily calorie intake of 2,500-3,000.
Hearty breakfast, a post-breakfast meal or protein shake (protein, or even gainer, shakes are always helpful), lunch, afternoon meal, dinner, post-dinner meal.

Don't do what I did at one point, which was to eat junk food to increase my calorific intake. It might be rich in calories, but it's not going to give you the carb/fat/protein ratios you need for a healthy gain that is primarily in muscle. There's no need for fast food even if you stick to multiple meals/shakes 5-6 times a day.

I agree.

I can attest to this. Seriously. Never again. It's a waste of time, which ultimately leads to disappointment.

Eat as clean as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom