• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
I'm about to finish my first month of Starting Strength but of course I haven't kept track of all my progress. Have some weights here and there but not every session. Though I've seen progress like every session and now I have the book so I can get my form on track. Regardless though I'm quite happy with the results and I'm even more impressed with myself that I decided to just go to the gym by myself without worrying about the crutch of going with a friend that I used to have.

You need to track progress. That's part of SS.

Nelo Ice

Banned
You need to track progress. That's part of SS.
Yeah I've kept track of the weights s and increased accordingly by memory. And for the past 2 weeks I was tracking on ios notepad but just signed up for fitocracy so I'll just log there now. I should have mentioned I only started physically tracking recently since I do know what weights I've done each workout.

What do you guys think it takes to achieve this frame? The proportions and all.

10426063_2172461_500.jpg

Real broad shoulders. Fairly skinny but still lean.

Swim :)

ILoveBish

Bros. New PR's at the gym tonight.

Squats: 325lb 3x5
OHP: 150lb 3x5
Deadlifts: 315lb 1x5

Was EXTREMELY satisfying getting that 3 plates on deadlift. I started doing them very late in my routine due to fear of hurting myself, so im still catching up on them, but love them now. This is all on a cut with ketosis, 5 weeks in now cutting.

So i have some questions for you guys. I wear a heart rate monitor watch, and after a heavy set on squats, i usually hit 160+ on the heart rate, today i hit 171 right after my 2nd set of 325. Should i be concerned? I turn 35 soon, not sure if im possibly causing damage to myself? One of the guys at the gym said my heart could blow up from being that high, now i'm not sure lol.

Also, i decided to add skull crushers and kroc rows to my everyday accessories. Now that its too many accessories, im considering splitting them up and doing half on A day, half on B day with 3 sets of 8 each, or do them all everyday im at the gym, but do 2 sets of 8 instead to make them go quicker. Thoughts?

Everyone does bent-over rows instead, much to Rip's chagrin.

Yah, cleans are not for me, anything i have to drop from the air, no thanks. I do pandalay rows instead. Love the explosiveness of them.

Petrie

Banned
Yeah I've kept track of the weights s and increased accordingly by memory. And for the past 2 weeks I was tracking on ios notepad but just signed up for fitocracy so I'll just log there now. I should have mentioned I only started physically tracking recently since I do know what weights I've done each workout.

Yeah that's much different than saying you haven't tracked progress! lol

That was my first 3 months of "SS", just going and doing whatever weights I felt like without the progression. Then I got the book and restarted proper. Damn wasted time.

Matugi

How are you guys celebrating today, Fit-GAF? I'm looking forward to two-three protein-style burgers tonight (lettuce instead of buns), sweet potato fries, and BROTEIN FREEDOM SHAKES

blackflag

How are you guys celebrating today, Fit-GAF? I'm looking forward to two-three protein-style burgers tonight (lettuce instead of buns), sweet potato fries, and BROTEIN FREEDOM SHAKES

Grilled chicken breast, broccoli, brown rice, and sweet potato

Awwwwww yeah. Livin on the edge

Petrie

Banned

Lots of cardio to earn those burgers and dogs later. Lets do this!

Mr.City

Bros. New PR's at the gym tonight.

Squats: 325lb 3x5
OHP: 150lb 3x5
Deadlifts: 315lb 1x5

Was EXTREMELY satisfying getting that 3 plates on deadlift. I started doing them very late in my routine due to fear of hurting myself, so im still catching up on them, but love them now. This is all on a cut with ketosis, 5 weeks in now cutting.

So i have some questions for you guys. I wear a heart rate monitor watch, and after a heavy set on squats, i usually hit 160+ on the heart rate, today i hit 171 right after my 2nd set of 325. Should i be concerned? I turn 35 soon, not sure if im possibly causing damage to myself? One of the guys at the gym said my heart could blow up from being that high, now i'm not sure lol.

Also, i decided to add skull crushers and kroc rows to my everyday accessories. Now that its too many accessories, im considering splitting them up and doing half on A day, half on B day with 3 sets of 8 each, or do them all everyday im at the gym, but do 2 sets of 8 instead to make them go quicker. Thoughts?

Yah, cleans are not for me, anything i have to drop from the air, no thanks. I do pandalay rows instead. Love the explosiveness of them.

Do not believe what most of the gym have to say to you. As for the heart rate, I think you're going to be okay. Did you feel off at all during your second set of squats?

blackflag

3rd week complete cut update.

2 months 1 week left

Weight 243.6. Down 13 lbs
Carb cycling
Haven't done any cardio yet and won't until I stall.

BlJfBoAl.jpg
[/img]

pMiNPV8l.jpg
[/img]

R5h1UZ2l.jpg
[/img]

blackflag

More protein, less calories, boiiiii

Blackflag, looking fantastic. How much less bloated do you feel?

it depends. On the day of the week. I have two 300g carb days a week, one 200g carb day, two 100g days, one 50g carb day, and one no carb day. I can feel pretty bloated after the 300g carb days. I basically fart all day long the next day ha.

Mr.City

So asked this awhile back didn't get much of a reponse, maybe the new page will have more luck. My gym doesn't have a space for power cleans, so is there any other workout that is a good sub for that specific workout if I'm following Starting Strength?

How dod you have a space for deadlifts but not power cleans?

despire

How dod you have a space for deadlifts but not power cleans?

That's the million dollar question right there.

Had a good day at the gym today. I was finally feeling up to it and that's good because it was 2,5 weeks from my last workout. Got what I came for with the Press and Deadlifts which is nice for a change.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
About to go get my 4th of July lift on! Followed by a plate full of baby backs! God bless America!

One of my coworkers who used to be a hardcore powerlifter back in the day says that I should quick fucking around with losing fat and just eat and lift heavy. I'm at 225 atm and says that in a year, I can weigh 250. Told me out of that 25 lbs, 18 of it would be muscle. I was 240 on April 1. So I did lose 15 lbs since then. I trust the guy cause he is real knowledgeable but can I really gain 18 lbs of muscle in a year? Just seems like it isn't possible cause I'm no longer getting those linear gains.

He's real funny though. Telling me that I need to just get bigger and not worry about abs or looking good in my slim jeans. Says that who cares about some fat on your stomach if your chest/back is a lot wider than it is now.

Petrie

Banned
One of my coworkers who used to be a hardcore powerlifter back in the day says that I should quick fucking around with losing fat and just eat and lift heavy. I'm at 225 atm and says that in a year, I can weigh 250. Told me out of that 25 lbs, 18 of it would be muscle. I was 240 on April 1. So I did lose 15 lbs since then. I trust the guy cause he is real knowledgeable but can I really gain 18 lbs of muscle in a year? Just seems like it isn't possible cause I'm no longer getting those linear gains.

He's real funny though. Telling me that I need to just get bigger and not worry about abs or looking good in my slim jeans. Says that who cares about some fat on your stomach if your chest/back is a lot wider than it is now.

As always it's all about your goals and what you want. For me strength is desired but the physique is priority one.

rando14

I doubt people without Adonis genetics can gain 18 lbs of muscle unless they are maybe 100% perfect in training and nutrition.

15, ehhhh, 10 more likely

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe you should, brah...maybe you should.......

Mark1

Depends on how advanced you are. I know that if I skip more than a week of training my numbers will decrease.

Size-wise, doubt you'll see too much difference.
I'm more of a beginner at this stage as I've only been lifting weights for 8 months. Barely any growth cos of diet issues.

Cudder

I've hardly ever done overhead presses. I think it's time to substitute my seated dumbbell press (which has always been my main shoulder exercise) with them. Started today, hope to make it a regular part of my routine.

Noema

Is this your coworker?

fOIagrU.jpg

bulking.png

Groof

Advice time again, FitnessGAF!

Been doing the full body beginner routine from the OP as I was advised to do last time and it's been good. Been seeing some nice improvements here and there. Bummed I haven't lost as much fat as I would've liked, but I write that off as my own impatience and missed weeks, so I'm not too worried.

What I am worried about though is my diet. I have a very restrictive budget so I can't afford buying groceries often. A typical day for me is usually hard bread with Philadelphia cheese and avocados for breakfast and rice or pasta with some frozen meat, like chicken or meatballs. Many nights end up with some instant noodles, however.
Today was extra weird for me cause I skipped breakfast, had rice with meatballs for lunch, grabbed some chili cheese nuggets at my mum's place (she wasn't home and forgot them in the fridge and told me to eat them) and now for dinner I had rice with dumplings.

Basically, I want to know if there's something in a similar price range of what I usually eat that I should target instead, or merely if there's anything I should prioritize. I'm real worried this is cramping up my progress.
HELP ME FITNESSGAF!

abuC

18lbs of lean muscle mass in a year isn't happening without dat dere celltech, only new lifters see those kind of gains.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just read through the Starting Strength chapter on squats. I do have a question, though. Is it possible to go too low in the squat? I tend to go pretty deep (almost what is described as "ass-to-grass" in one of the images in the book), but should I make an effort to not go that low and stop at the level that is described as a parallel squat in the book?

burnfout

Advice time again, FitnessGAF!

Been doing the full body beginner routine from the OP as I was advised to do last time and it's been good. Been seeing some nice improvements here and there. Bummed I haven't lost as much fat as I would've liked, but I write that off as my own impatience and missed weeks, so I'm not too worried.

What I am worried about though is my diet. I have a very restrictive budget so I can't afford buying groceries often. A typical day for me is usually hard bread with Philadelphia cheese and avocados for breakfast and rice or pasta with some frozen meat, like chicken or meatballs. Many nights end up with some instant noodles, however.
Today was extra weird for me cause I skipped breakfast, had rice with meatballs for lunch, grabbed some chili cheese nuggets at my mum's place (she wasn't home and forgot them in the fridge and told me to eat them) and now for dinner I had rice with dumplings.

Basically, I want to know if there's something in a similar price range of what I usually eat that I should target instead, or merely if there's anything I should prioritize. I'm real worried this is cramping up my progress.
HELP ME FITNESSGAF!

Eggs!

Make an omelet for a meal.

andycapps

Of course he told you to do that, he's a former powerlifter. Keep doing what you're doing, bro.

Can't wait too have a bunch of burgers later and some watermelon. Baked beans probably too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom