• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad this deal is still going strong with interest. When I started posting Whey deals it seemed there wasn't much interest so I got less vigilant about posting them, but I'm reinvigorated now!

I buy 4 or 5 boxes at a time. ringing up all those bars one by one on 5 seperate transactions would be a pain in the ass. I discussed it with the regular guy once.

Buying one box at a time I'm sure it's a non-issue. I buy in bulk!

More deals please!

Do you need to print the coupon or can you guys show it on your Phone?

Jack_AG

Banned
Oh god to essentially have a pump that serves both functions would be godly. I just worry about it interfering with physical activity.
I am curious, as well. I haven't done enough research on them to their limitations for movement/physical activity. I will be looking into them for sure tho. No more pricking my fingers all day and just one small needle in my side?. Awww yeah!

So I've actually cut the gym out of my workouts during this cut.

My park installed what can only be described as an "adult fitness jungle gym".

I'm literally doing pushups, dips, pull/chin ups, leg lifts, crunches, and all usually after a game of basketball.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I bulk again during the winter...might go back to free weights, but body weight workouts have been surprisingly awesome. Zero wait time, get to workout outdoors next to the basketball court, and it's still quite challenging.

balddemon

Banned
So I've actually cut the gym out of my workouts during this cut.

My park installed what can only be described as an "adult fitness jungle gym".

I'm literally doing pushups, dips, pull/chin ups, leg lifts, crunches, and all usually after a game of basketball.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I bulk again during the winter...might go back to free weights, but body weight workouts have been surprisingly awesome. Zero wait time, get to workout outdoors next to the basketball court, and it's still quite challenging.

that's amazing. I wish there was something like that near my house, especially with the summer time. I'd still have to go the gym to get legs done, but since I work there, it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Lamel

Banned
So I think I am at the point where I will cut the little fat I have on myself. For the past 2 years I have been bulking on and off and have gained around 20 lbs (which is incredible for me since my metabolism is a monster).

I am a slim guy (155 lbs at 5'10", 14-15% BF), but I think I have enough base muscle to look good if I was to shed around 5-10 lbs of fat.

How should I go about doing this? I DON'T want to lose muscle, or lose as little as possible. I don't think it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle (right?), but if there is a way I am all for it.

Should I just continue lifting and eat at a deficit? I usually lift for size and strength (so around 10 reps), would that be too much?

Ramadan is coming up where I will be fasting, should I combine intermittent fasting with that somehow to cut?

Sorry about all the questions. though I do know how to bulk well, I've never really cut before.

that's amazing. I wish there was something like that near my house, especially with the summer time. I'd still have to go the gym to get legs done, but since I work there, it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

I'm going to bring some heavy dumbbells with me next time and do jumping lunges and squats.

Its not going to beat Olympic lifts by any means in regards to mass building but I'm not a big fan of them anyway.

So I think I am at the point where I will cut the little fat I have on myself. For the past 2 years I have been bulking on and off and have gained around 20 lbs (which is incredible for me since my metabolism is a monster).

I am a slim guy (155 lbs at 5'10", 14-15% BF), but I think I have enough base muscle to look good if I was to shed around 5-10 lbs of fat.

You must have been a skeleton before.

Honestly 155 at your height sounds like it should be your post cutting weight, if not more than that. Are you sure you've gained a decent amount of muscle?

Just looking at the numbers I'd say to keep bulking.

SeanR1221

Woo! Seems the GOMAD diet IS working! I've gained over 3 pounds in a little over a week. :D

tumblr_lk9vky1UOP1qz4akao1_400.jpg

Thanks guys for the heads up with GNC. I have one across the street and just got back. Bought 12 Quest bars. About 6-7 different flavors/types.

This is perfect for me with how close they are to where I live.

I also just tried their chewable multi vitamin. Wasn't too bad. May grab those next time I'm there.

Lamel

Banned
You must have been a skeleton before.

Honestly 155 at your height sounds like it should be your post cutting weight, if not more than that. Are you sure you've gained a decent amount of muscle?

Just looking at the numbers I'd say to keep bulking.

I've never really had much fat on me to begin with. I just want to get rid of the slim layer of belly fat and get some general definition throughout my body. Here are some pics to help you get an idea of where I am at. I do prefer a slim athletic look.

I really would like to maintain my muscle while losing the stubborn remaining fat and getting some more definition. So what would be the best course of action.

P44

Need a bit of advice, want to start lifting, but can realistically get nothing but dumbells up to a 20kg set until a month or so; would that be enough to get some basic strength bearing in mind ive never lifted beforehand? Can I adapt the SS routine for dumbells?

Lamel

Banned
Need a bit of advice, want to start lifting, but can realistically get nothing but dumbells up to a 20kg set until a month or so; would that be enough to get some basic strength bearing in mind ive never lifted beforehand? Can I adapt the SS routine for dumbells?

Doing deadlifts and squats will be tough without a barbell, especially when you start getting really strong.

If you are a beginner you can start out now by lifting weights with dumbbells, but eventually down the line you may want to look into barbell training.

You can still do chest flys, shoulder press, lateral raises, biceps/triceps work with dumbbells. You can even do squats I suppose, or you can try one legged squats with bodyweight. And for the back you can do some pullups if possible.

Hey, guys! Looking for some help.

I am trying to build a workout plan around my injury*, and I have a decent idea of where to start, but I want to construct something a little bit more consistent than "do what doesn't hurt." As we all know, different body parts hurt on different days, and most of us who have had injuries know that sometimes you can't do the same thing you did the week before without feeling pain.

*torn ligament in the wrist and compressed ulnar nerve. Underwent ulnar decompression surgery and arthroscopic wrist surgery in Feb.

I am trying to sort out a 3-4 day split.

I cannot do the following lifts:
Bench press
Pull-ups
Wrist curls
Curls (can do hammer)
Tricep pulldowns
Dips
Military press/shoulder press

Can still do all my leg lifts, but because I have some ankle problems, my cardio mostly consists of biking and I stay away from the squat rack where it's harder to keep my feet/legs symmetrical (I do leg press instead). I do box jump circuits as well.

Right now I'm at 6'2", 160 (down from 190 when I got hurt), and I'd like to get up to 175 within the next three months. I've retained good but not great definition since the injury, but I'd like to improve upon that primarily. Mostly going for aesthetics and general athleticism.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

SeanR1221

I've never really had much fat on me to begin with. I just want to get rid of the slim layer of belly fat and get some general definition throughout my body. Here are some pics to help you get an idea of where I am at. I do prefer a slim athletic look.

I really would like to maintain my muscle while losing the stubborn remaining fat and getting some more definition. So what would be the best course of action.

You've made good progress but I don't think you're ready for a cut. You should pack on more muscle in my opinion before considering it.

SeanR1221

My wife and I took my parents out to a fancy breakfast brunch as thanks for helping with our wedding. Had to break my cut. 3 pieces of French toast, crabs Benedict, some sausage, bacon and scrambled eggs, along with salmon on half a bagel with cream cheese. Oh and two small cannolis.

That was at 10:30 and I'm still full

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Sitting in a bar right now after a 60-mile bike ride in 90-degree heat. Just had a massive 9oz Bleu cheese bacon burger, sweet potato fries, and three beers, and I'm ready for a whole thing of ice cream right after.

No fucking regrets. My body is absolutely beat.

Lamel

Banned
You've made good progress but I don't think you're ready for a cut. You should pack on more muscle in my opinion before considering it.

The problem with that currently is that Ramadan is coming up, and a bulk during that time is damn near impossible. After Ramadan, I am heading out to college, where I totally devote myself to academics, and would be lucky to work out once a week (I know I know, but I prioritize my grades way more right now). Bulking is especially out of the question when my eating schedule is off as well -_-

So there I stand. If I continue to lift during Ramadan, I will more than likely lost weight regardless. If I can get a bit more defined I would be fairly content with my body and maintain that physique until likely next summer, where I will bulk again.

What would happen if I kept lifting and ate maintenance calories for the next month, would my physique remain the same, or will I take a hit regardless?

Matugi

Thing is that small bit of belly fat is where guys naturally carry their fat (and on their chest) and it's the last bit to go. You're slim right now so you do need to bulk, but as you said Ramadan could make that tough. I'd say hook up a feed tube so you can eat at night.

The problem with that currently is that Ramadan is coming up, and a bulk during that time is damn near impossible. After Ramadan, I am heading out to college, where I totally devote myself to academics, and would be lucky to work out once a week (I know I know, but I prioritize my grades way more right now). Bulking is especially out of the question when my eating schedule is off as well -_-

So there I stand. If I continue to lift during Ramadan, I will more than likely lost weight regardless. If I can get a bit more defined I would be fairly content with my body and maintain that physique until likely next summer, where I will bulk again.

What would happen if I kept lifting and ate maintenance calories for the next month, would my physique remain the same, or will I take a hit regardless?

Ramadan shouldn't be an issue so long as you work-out after or before (before sunrise, when you're allowed to drink water) the breaking of the fast (as the main issue is lack of water, you'll want to be drinking plenty of water while working out, which is prohibited afaik).

I believe the post/pre feasts of ramadan are big enough to provide you with your daily calorie quota as well as the proteins you need.

Lamel

Banned
Sorry I'm ignorant, but how much can you eat during Ramadan?

Well the fast will last from 5 AM to 8ish PM. And I will sleep around 12 AM (Since I work from 9-6). From 8 PM - 5 AM, I can eat as much as I want, but I do have to sleep, so yeah, it ain't easy. But I suppose I should continue lifting during ramadan and eat as much as I possibly can. I can realistically only sustain my bulk during the summer, because it does become too difficult during school time; perhaps I can cut then.

Thing is that small bit of belly fat is where guys naturally carry their fat (and on their chest) and it's the last bit to go. You're slim right now so you do need to bulk, but as you said Ramadan could make that tough. I'd say hook up a feed tube so you can eat at night.

Yeah that much I know, that belly fat is kind of annoying. I am just hoping for some more definition is all, and I thougth I was at that point, but maybe not.

P44

Doing deadlifts and squats will be tough without a barbell, especially when you start getting really strong.

If you are a beginner you can start out now by lifting weights with dumbbells, but eventually down the line you may want to look into barbell training.

You can still do chest flys, shoulder press, lateral raises, biceps/triceps work with dumbbells. You can even do squats I suppose, or you can try one legged squats with bodyweight. And for the back you can do some pullups if possible.

Yeah I mean, atm my situation is, I don't have access to a gym, give that a month, I'll have access to a gym and a barbell, i was just wondering as a complete newb if I could get along with dumbells for a month.

Is the member discount on quest bars at gnc really that big? It's 34 dollars a box online, and then 10 dollars off brings it to 24. Is the gold card lowering it for people that much to the 12 or 14 bucks people seem to pay, or are they cheaper in store? I was under the impression gold cards would only save a couple bucks per item.

PBY

Banned
Is the member discount on quest bars at gnc really that big? It's 34 dollars a box online, and then 10 dollars off brings it to 24. Is the gold card lowering it for people that much to the 12 or 14 bucks people seem to pay, or are they cheaper in store? I was under the impression gold cards would only save a couple bucks per item.
I dunno I pay 13 in store

Lamel

Banned
Yeah I mean, atm my situation is, I don't have access to a gym, give that a month, I'll have access to a gym and a barbell, i was just wondering as a complete newb if I could get along with dumbells for a month.

Yeah go ahead, get a head start and do it with the dumbbells for now, then go to the gym.

Any suggestions on getting those muscles that hang right above your pelvic bones? I've managed to get, over the past year or so, defined and visible abs, but for some reason, I've never developed any muscles on my sides. Any suggestions?

bro1

Banned
Been in the hospital for the past 3 days due to my UC and only on a liquid diet to give my colon a rest. About 800 calories a day and pumped full of cortosteroids. So many gains lost.

Mark1

Guys, I'm needing a bit of help with my bulking diet. My muscles aren't growing and have had enough with this plateau. There are a couple of problems:

1. Trying to meet 3300 calories a day.
2. Getting roughly 160 grams of protein (don't want to use protein shakes, whey, casein, etc.)
3. When to eat meals.

I've started buying some tubs of low fat Greek yogurt to help with the protein. I'm going to be taking 2-3 boiled eggs some mornings. Also, eating more meat or fish.

Petrie

Banned
Guys, I'm needing a bit of help with my bulking diet. My muscles aren't growing and have had enough with this plateau. There are a couple of problems:

1. Trying to meet 3300 calories a day.
2. Getting roughly 160 grams of protein (don't want to use protein shakes, whey, casein, etc.)
3. When to eat meals.

I've started buying some tubs of low fat Greek yogurt to help with the protein. I'm going to be taking 2-3 boiled eggs some mornings. Also, eating more meat or fish.

If you aren't getting enough calories, don't buy low fat yogurt and lean fish. Get full fat yogurt, beef, pork, and nuts; or don't be silly and get yourself some whey to supplement.

Dudes... what happens if... say... i've been zig-zagging calories and i suddenly start eating the same amount of calories everyday?... if they're below my daily requirements... anyone knows?

Thanks in advance.

So I think I'm pretty much done with my cut for now. April 1 - July 7. 3 months. Started @ 239.5 lbs @ 17.3 % bf. Ended @ 225 lbs @ ~12% bf. The bf% numbers could be wrong but with the tests I have been using since the start, that is what I am sticking with.

Feb 2011

July 2012

April 2013

July 2013

The second "after" pic is prolly what I just look like most of the time. Could be leaner as seen here but could also be bigger. What I ate, carbs, water retention, etc.

Final stats are as follows:
OHP: 3 reps @ 180 lbs
Decline Bench: 6 reps @ 265 lbs
Deadlifts: 5 reps @ 385 lbs
Squats: 6 reps @ 375 lbs

I could have lost more fat but too many cheat days, out with friends, etc. Yeah, yeah, I can do better. I find that I like myself more @ 225 than I do @ 240. Less fat and just feel better. That being said, I would love to get to 240 lbs next year and be at the same bf%. I think I can do it but we will see. The plan for the rest of the summer is to maintain, maybe try to lose a bit more fat. I might post a few more pics at the end of summer to see where I "officially" have ended up. In any case, I am not as big as the doods in here, not as lean as the guys in here but for now, I'm just going to enjoy what I have accomplished.

Thanks to FitGAF for all the help and for putting up with my BS and various pic spamming. You guys are a great group of people.

SeanR1221

Edge, the difference is really obvious...nice job, man!

I especially notice how your lats seem to "pop" out more from the sides.

Definitely an inspiring post for me.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Finally returned home after that 60-mile bike ride. Was probably closer to 63 or 64, but whatever.

During the ride I had two Quest bars, a banana, two Gatorades, and lots of water.

But after the ride: I indulged like I haven't indulged in two months.

9oz beef burger with blue cheese and crispy, smoked bacon + a big serving of sweet potato fries
3 beers (16oz each)
Coffee-flavored Oreo ice cream shake from Carvel

Haven't had any of that crap in so long, and my god did it ever taste delicious. I could have honestly eaten two 9oz burgers back-to-back.

Had to be like 2500 calories right there, basically what I expended during the bike ride. Step on the scale: lost two pounds. LOL

Man, I need bike shorts. My ass and scrotum are SORE, goddamn.

ZeroRay

Awesome job, Edge!

Back's feeling a lot better, but I'm gonna err on the safe side and squat and deadlift light for the next 2-3 weeks. Increasing weight by 10lbs each session. Also tempted to deload and restart my OHP and bench too since I've stalled on OHP even before hurting my back.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I think I'm pretty much done with my cut for now. April 1 - July 7. 3 months. Started @ 239.5 lbs @ 17.3 % bf. Ended @ 225 lbs @ ~12% bf. The bf% numbers could be wrong but with the tests I have been using since the start, that is what I am sticking with.

That is inspiration. The change is SO damn obvious. Amazing work.

So now you're set for a six month bulk right?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That is a F-ing transformation Falling! You should be proud. We should post a couple before and afters of people around here in the OP of the next thread. Truly inspirational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom