• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q8D3vil

Just picked up 4 boxes! My top four in order from top to bottom.

20130706_112257.jpg

This stuff is so fucking expensive here but its so damn good.
Reminded me to order tomorrow :X

Petrie

Banned
Howdy, I didn't even know this thread was a thing. I work out consistently with a high variance routine. WODs mixed with heavy lifting and long distance runs. I'm not a fitness buff or anything, so I'm learning a lot of shit the hard way. I've been hitting it hard for about 2.5 years and I've plateau'd hard. So, I need some advice from people more into this than I.

Height: 72"
Weight: 185
Goal: 20 pullups, 22 minute 3 mile, sexy muscles
Current Training Schedule: 3 WODs, 1 day of 3 mile run, 1 day stretches/warm-ups
Current Training Equipment Available: Everything
Comments: The 3 mile run part is really not a changeable goal. It's part of my job, sadly.

Questions:
1) How can I break out of plateau when my routinue is already variable?
2) I need some help with the after effects of a workout. The pain is fine, but often I'm too stiff to be able to move in the morning. It takes me some time to be able to bend over to tie my shoes. I'm quite sure diet is a main cause for that, because I suck at eating right. But any advice on this would be appreciated.

you're likely seeing plateaus because you have too much variance. routines should be just that: routine. they need to be designed with a goal in mind. it sounds like fuckarounditis to me, consider giving the OP a read and then returning with questions, as even 2 1/2 years in, sounds like you have a lot to learn.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
you're likely seeing plateaus because you have too much variance. routines should be just that: routine. they need to be designed with a goal in mind. it sounds like fuckarounditis to me, consider giving the OP a read and then returning with questions, as even 2 1/2 years in, sounds like you have a lot to learn.

I did read the OP. I already asked the questions I had, thanks. And I said "I have a lot to learn" and you counter with "sounds like you have a lot to learn." I know that. Which is why I said that first and then asked questions. I also stated my goals.

Yeah, WW what kind of lifts are you doing and what are your rep/weight numbers?

I squat a lot (front, back and overheads), deadlift, benches, push presses, presses, cleans. It's basically whatever pops up on the daily WOD, but I start with 3x5 or 5x5 heavy lifts before the WOD. I'm not really tracking the weight. Is that something I should do? Normally, I do a warmup set and increase the weight from there.

Mark1

There's a lot to read in the Starting Strength ebook. Jesus, what are the important points to read before starting the program next week?

Petrie

Banned
I did read the OP. I already asked the questions I had, thanks. And I said "I have a lot to learn" and you counter with "sounds like you have a lot to learn." I know that. Which is why I said that first and then asked questions. I also stated my goals.

Ok, perhaps I should have said "you have way more to learn than you think you do even". and you should re-read the OP and actually take in the info about linear progression and such, as much of what you're asking about is very clearly answered there. It sounds like you're doing a fuck around crossfit style program, which is why the plateaus are happening.

I squat a lot (front, back and overheads), deadlift, benches, push presses, presses, cleans. It's basically whatever pops up on the daily WOD, but I start with 3x5 or 5x5 heavy lifts before the WOD. I'm not really tracking the weight. Is that something I should do? Normally, I do a warmup set and increase the weight from there.

If you aren't using some sort of linear progression and tracking numbers, then how can you know if you've plateaued? You have no way to measure progress and know what's happening, or what might be causing the stall. This is one of the largest issues with crossfit style stuff, it gives no way beyong "time" to measure anything.

WanderingWind

Ok, perhaps I should have said "you have way more to learn than you think you do even". and you should re-read the OP and actually take in the info about linear progression and such, as much of what you're asking about is very clearly answered there. It sounds like you're doing a fuck around crossfit style program, which is why the plateaus are happening.

If you aren't using some sort of linear progression and tracking numbers, then how can you know if you've plateaued? You have no way to measure progress and know what's happening, or what might be causing the stall. This is one of the largest issues with crossfit style stuff, it gives no way beyong "time" to measure anything.

I do appreciate advice, but honestly, this sort of attitude is why people don't generally ask questions about fitness. I very clearly stated that I don't know much. I don't know what else you want from me on that front, man. "I don't know much about this stuff." "YEAH NO SHIT YOU DON'T OR YOU WOULDN'T BE FUCKING AROUND." It seems you take offense at the fact that I added the amount of time I've been working out consistently? Not sure why.

But whatever. I'll clearly stumbled into the wrong thread to ask advice in. Thanks for the shitty attitude though, it was appreciated.

Petrie

Banned
Now now Petrie play nice ;)

I honestly thought I was being nice. I'm just very direct. It sounds like he should relearn what he thinks he knows and start from scratch. I apologize if I came across inflammatory, I was simply being direct and trying to get to the root of the problem, which is the program itself. When someone says they aren't tracking numbers, they have to start from scratch IMO.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I do appreciate advice, but honestly, this sort of attitude is why people don't generally ask questions about fitness. I very clearly stated that I don't know much. I don't know what else you want from me on that front, man. "I don't know much about this stuff." "YEAH NO SHIT YOU DON'T OR YOU WOULDN'T BE FUCKING AROUND." It seems you take offense at the fact that I added the amount of timeme I've been working out consistently? Not sure why.

But whatever. I'll clearly stumbled into the wrong thread to ask advice in. Thanks for the shitty attitude though, it was appreciated.
Deep breathes. We all help each other around here. I didn't particularly see the attitude you're referring to but ok. We just need more information if you want to get some sound advice. There are some very knowledgeable people in here and it would be to your detriment to walk away from this thread because one guy rubbed you the wrong way.

Petrie

Banned
Deep breathes. We all help each other around here. I didn't particularly see the attitude you're referring to but ok. We just need more information if you want to get some sound advice. There are some very knowledgeable people in here and it would be to your detriment to walk away from this thread because one guy rubbed you the wrong way.

I really didn't think I had an attitude, it was just very direct. Being told what you've been doing is wrong sucks, but it has to be done.

There's no attitude. I'm really trying to help, and directly telling you that what you're doing sucks is what has to be done. I know he said he read the OP, but he didn't take the info from it or he'd know the answers to some of his questions.

Again, I'm sorry if I rubbed you wrong. I won't interject further with regard to your questions because the last thing I was to do is push anyone from this thread.

WanderingWind

I really didn't think I had an attitude, it was just very direct. Being told what you've been doing is wrong sucks, but it has to be done.

There's no attitude. I'm really trying to help, and directly telling you that what you're doing sucks is what has to be done. I know he said he read the OP, but he didn't take the info from it or he'd know the answers to some of his questions.

Again, I'm sorry if I rubbed you wrong. I won't interject further with regard to your questions because the last thing I was to do is push anyone from this thread.

It's cool, but there is a difference between being direct and just being rude for no cause. It doesn't help somebody who is saying "I'm not doing very well, here is what I am doing currently" to be told "You're doing it wrong, stop fucking around." If I thought I knew as much as you seem to think I believe, I wouldn't have asked questions and just posted some beefcake pics or something.

And I think you may be a bit unaware of how technical some of the information in the OP is. If you don't know what a conflabburator is, it doesn't help to be told to read text that tells you to use the confabburator with standard widget installation. I freely admit that I may have missed something, but if that's the case, you could just point out where you think my question was answered.

As you said, my main method for tracking progress is by increasing the amount of time I can do AMRAP excercises (started at 10, now can do the same workouts with more rounds in 20) and by being able to lift more. I haven't charted it, which I take is very important - but I guess I don't really know why that is, either.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's a lot to read in the Starting Strength ebook. Jesus, what are the important points to read before starting the program next week?

Honestly, ALL OF IT but if you need a condensed version, well, pay special attention to the SS talk in the OP. It's really no substitute. I'd say the most important thing you need to understand and do before you hit your routine is the squat.

I do appreciate advice, but honestly, this sort of attitude is why people don't generally ask questions about fitness. I very clearly stated that I don't know much. I don't know what else you want from me on that front, man. "I don't know much about this stuff." "YEAH NO SHIT YOU DON'T OR YOU WOULDN'T BE FUCKING AROUND." It seems you take offense at the fact that I added the amount of time I've been working out consistently? Not sure why.

I think a lot of people mistake the term fuckarounditis for sounding a lot more negative than it really is. My advice: track EVERYTHING you're doing. Get a couple weeks worth of data and specify exactly where you're plateauing. Record everything, period - and then you can laser in on it and we can get to the root of the issue.

WanderingWind

My advice: track EVERYTHING you're doing. Get a couple weeks worth of data and specify exactly where you're plateauing. Record everything, period - and then you can laser in on it and we can get to the root of the issue.

Okay, I'll do that. I believe this is important, but I guess I don't really understand it. So, I track that I did 5x5 front squats at X weight, then write that down each day. So, what could I then do with that data?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I'll do that. I believe this is important, but I guess I don't really understand it. So, I track that I did 5x5 front squats at X weight, then write that down each day. So, what could I then do with that data?

Once we cobble together a reliable list of exactly what you're doing in the gym, we can figure out if you're overworking yourself (but judging from what you said, not likely) and we can find out what areas you should TRY to lift heavier, and see if there's anything outstanding that might be putting a over amount of stress on any muscles. We may even simplify it all for you and you might do less - but everyone is different. If you're hitting plateaus however, we need to establish what your current plateau is.

I doubt it because you haven't been tracking, but have you ever done what's known as a deload week, where you cut the weight in order for stronger recovery period and it helps to break through plateaus.

Also, do you track your diet? The amount that you're taking in could be the cause, but the only way to know is to see what kind of macros you're working with and if you're fulfilling them.

Petrie

Banned
It's cool, but there is a difference between being direct and just being rude for no cause. It doesn't help somebody who is saying "I'm not doing very well, here is what I am doing currently" to be told "You're doing it wrong, stop fucking around." If I thought I knew as much as you seem to think I believe, I wouldn't have asked questions and just posted some beefcake pics or something.

And I think you may be a bit unaware of how technical some of the information in the OP is. If you don't know what a conflabburator is, it doesn't help to be told to read text that tells you to use the confabburator with standard widget installation. I freely admit that I may have missed something, but if that's the case, you could just point out where you think my question was answered.

As you said, my main method for tracking progress is by increasing the amount of time I can do AMRAP excercises (started at 10, now can do the same workouts with more rounds in 20) and by being able to lift more. I haven't charted it, which I take is very important - but I guess I don't really know why that is, either.

When it comes to weightlifting, time is a very poor method of tracking progress. The best way to track progress is the amount of weight you can lift, and the reps you can lift that weight for. This allows you to truly measure progress, and program to properly achieve results. It sounds like you're doing crossfit or something of that nature, which to its detriment uses time as the primary measure, and this is a bad method.

I'll let others take over though, as I'm mobile now and typing all this on my phone is a pain in the ass.

WanderingWind

Once we cobble together a reliable list of exactly what you're doing in the gym, we can figure out if you're overworking yourself (but judging from what you said, not likely) and we can find out what areas you should TRY to lift heavier, and see if there's anything outstanding that might be putting a over amount of stress on any muscles. We may even simplify it all for you and you might do less - but everyone is different. If you're hitting plateaus however, we need to establish what your current plateau is.

I doubt it because you haven't been tracking, but have you ever done what's known as a deload week, where you cut the weight in order for stronger recovery period and it helps to break through plateaus.

Also, do you track your diet? The amount that you're taking in could be the cause, but the only way to know is to see what kind of macros you're working with and if you're fulfilling them.

Cool. I'll log it and post it in a few weeks.

And uh. My diet...is fucking garbage. It would probably horrify you folks. I know how to eat right and I've done it to cut weight and I feel great when I do it. But I love to eat. In fact, it would be fair to say that until probably the last 6 months, I worked out solely to be able to eat more McNasty. That's changed and I've made lasted changes to the diet, but since I'm able to run 1st class PFTs and can fit into all my clothes, it wasn't a real priority.

EDIT: Yeah, CrossFit is what I currently do. I don't like, love it like the cultists, it's just what my shop did and those are now the exercises I know. I saw results from it so I went with it.

Cooter

I'm inclined to believe your plateaus are more based on your diet WW. How much are you eating? This is usually what I find limits most people looking to get bigger/stronger.

sphinx

the piano man
gah, at the moment I have nothing to add to this thread other than: I WANT TO GET BIG, it takes so damn long and my body is needing more rest than before so I can't hit the gym as often as I'd want.. >_< ....

I don't care for the darned abs, I mean I want abs popping out, but I'd take bigger delts, legs, chest, back over visible abs any day of my life.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I joined lifetime fitness in March and have been swimming semi-regularly (2-4 times a week, 10-15 laps, or 20-30 pool lengths, each time I go). Over the last month or so I've started using some of the weight machines at a low intensity-rate (3 sets of 12 reps) though only once or twice a week at most. Scared to crap about using free weights, though...

Anyways, I had a myHealthScore assessment yesterday, and here were the results:
Height: 5'7
Weight: 171.7 lbs
Body Fat %: 33% (high risk)
Seated blood pressure: 115/73
Total Cholesterol: 208 mg/dL
HDL Cholesterol: 32 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 181 mg/dL (Borderline)
LDL Cholesterol Calculated: 139 mg/dL
non-HDL Cholesterol: 175 mg/dL
Total Cholesterol / HDL cholesterol: 6.4 (high risk)
Glucose: 95 mg/dL

My weight has been steady at 170-175 for the last 18-24 months, regardless of how much or how little I exercise or eat. For breakfast, I tend to eat a bowl of cereal, a bagel, or nothing at all. I tend to eat out for lunch almost every day and a good portion of the time for dinner, as well (the other times for dinner I'll be eating leftovers or cooking a bowl of soup or something). I snack mostly on fruits and nuts. Don't get a lot of vegetables in my life.

Mainly, I need to get my body fat % down and my ratio of good to bad cholesterol down. One thing the fitness professional at lifetime recommended was getting a blender and some good whey protein and having a protein shake for breakfast daily, and to decrease the # of fruits I have as snacks, substituting some vegetables (like carrots or broccoli or garlic) in as snacks, instead. Basically, my sugar reserves are more than full, and all the excess sugar gets converted into fat, and switching out some fruits in favor of veggies will help decrease my body fat and add some nutrients and vitamins I'm probably missing out on that would help with my metabolism.

He also recommended I start gradually decreasing the # of reps I do and increasing the load when I use the machine. Maybe look into the free weights but they aren't necessary.

Thoughts? Comments?

Edit: I should also mention that I do have mild cerebral palsy (I was born a day before 31 weeks, at a weight of 3 lbs). I'd imagine part of the reason I have such high body fat now is because I had such little lean mass as a child/adolescent, and I haven't tried to build up that lean mass in my body's mature frame.

Cooter

gah, at the moment I have nothing to add to this thread other than: I WANT TO GET BIG, it takes so damn long and my body is needing more rest than before so I can't hit the gym as often as I'd want.. >_< ....

I don't care for the darned abs, I mean I want abs popping out, but I'd take bigger delts, legs, chest, back over visible abs any day of my life.
You're doing it right my man! Eat big, lift heavy, and rest plenty! Shoot for small monthly goals to keep you motivated and be patient. I've been lifting 20 years if that helps reassure you at all. :)

WanderingWind

I'm inclined to believe your plateaus are more based on your diet WW. How much are you eating? This is usually what I find limits most people looking to get bigger/stronger.

The amounts are...fine. It's my over reliance on packaged and fast food that is murdering me. Probably literally. That's on me. I know my diet still sucks. The low/no carb diet worked really well for me for 2 months, dropped 15 pounds in 2 weeks and started sleeping again properly.

Guess step 1)- track my workouts, step 2) don't eat fast food 6 times a week.

I am pretty clueless when it comes to recompositioning of bodymass, and have up until now relied on the calories in/calories out calculations with the help of the macro/calorie calculator often linked to in here.

Should I continue my cut of 1.7k/2.3k calories (Restday/workoutday)? I weigh 175lbs, 5'11, and got a BF% of 20 with calipers/18.7 on the scale (measurements taken last sunday, when I started cutting).

My goal is to take it down to 12%, which according to the calculations made will take my approximately 22 weeks.

(Faster weightloss, 1.5g protein per lbm, equal amounts of fat and carb - http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/)

Petrie

Banned
The amounts are...fine. It's my over reliance on packaged and fast food that is murdering me. Probably literally. That's on me. I know my diet still sucks. The low/no carb diet worked really well for me for 2 months, dropped 15 pounds in 2 weeks and started sleeping again properly.

Guess step 1)- track my workouts, step 2) don't eat fast food 6 times a week.

It really is just hard to help someone who has been working out without data to go on. If you were a total newbie we could just say "do this and this" and be done, but you're not new, so we need some sort of quantifiable data to work with.

Don't use time to measure weightlifting progress though. It's a useless metric.

Mark1

Honestly, ALL OF IT but if you need a condensed version, well, pay special attention to the SS talk in the OP. It's really no substitute. I'd say the most important thing you need to understand and do before you hit your routine is the squat.
It's more the lack of time I have to read before next week. It's a big book to get through. Gone onto squats cos I felt they're important to read on.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I joined lifetime fitness in March and have been swimming semi-regularly (2-4 times a week, 10-15 laps, or 20-30 pool lengths, each time I go). Over the last month or so I've started using some of the weight machines at a low intensity-rate (3 sets of 12 reps) though only once or twice a week at most. Scared to crap about using free weights, though...

My weight has been steady at 170-175 for the last 18-24 months, regardless of how much or how little I exercise or eat. For breakfast, I tend to eat a bowl of cereal, a bagel, or nothing at all. I tend to eat out for lunch almost every day and a good portion of the time for dinner, as well (the other times for dinner I'll be eating leftovers or cooking a bowl of soup or something). I snack mostly on fruits and nuts. Don't get a lot of vegetables in my life.

Mainly, I need to get my body fat % down and my ratio of good to bad cholesterol down. One thing the fitness professional at lifetime recommended was getting a blender and some good whey protein and having a protein shake for breakfast daily, and to decrease the # of fruits I have as snacks, substituting some vegetables (like carrots or broccoli or garlic) in as snacks, instead. Basically, my sugar reserves are more than full, and all the excess sugar gets converted into fat, and switching out some fruits in favor of veggies will help decrease my body fat and add some nutrients and vitamins I'm probably missing out on that would help with my metabolism.

He also recommended I start gradually decreasing the # of reps I do and increasing the load when I use the machine. Maybe look into the free weights but they aren't necessary.

Thoughts? Comments?

Cut out the bagel/cereal for breakfast. Whey protein shake is a good suggestion if you need something in your belly to start the day.

What percentage of the week are you dedicating to changing your body? 15 laps in the pool 2-4 times a week means something like 0.1%. Does that sound like enough to turn your life around?

More cardio and less sugar will help with your cholesterol and triglycerides. Add cycling or elliptical or hiking or whatever your preference is.

Then lift weights on top of that. Your lean body mass is like 112 lbs. You're absolutely rail skinny under that fat. You don't want to get down to like 130 lbs and have stick arms and a sunken in chest.

It's time to man up.

5ci8LjY.jpg

XyIAimK.gif

sphinx

the piano man
You're doing it right my man! Eat big, lift heavy, and rest plenty! Shoot for small monthly goals to keep you motivated and be patient. I've been lifting 20 years if that helps reassure you at all. :)

I will stay motivated and fucking do this.

I have some mental shit because I am a small, scrawny 35 year old guy with less than a year lifting so it feels like an eternity... and I know perfectly how the drills goes but damn, this is a very long term investment.In days like today I totally understand Petrie, Falling Edge and others when they complain about wasting time...

20 years training, wow, just how old are you, if you don't mind sharing that sort of info here,

EDIT: I love Franco, every time I see him I realize that guy is 5'5 just like me. Am I full of shit for thinking being small is a hindrance?? aboslutely, that guy is undeniable proof.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Thoughts? Comments?

Edit: I should also mention that I do have mild cerebral palsy (I was born a day before 31 weeks, at a weight of 3 lbs). I'd imagine part of the reason I have such high body fat now is because I had such little lean mass as a child/adolescent, and I haven't tried to build up that lean mass in my body's mature frame.

Diet diet diet. Change that diet! Cut as many carbs (especially sugars, but definitely breads) out of your life and find a protein alternative. You'll start to take shape with good food that truly feeds you and isn't insane sugars.

I also agree with less reps + higher weights.

I have some mental shit because I am a small, scrawny 35 year old guy with less than a year lifting so it feels like an eternity... and I know perfectly how the drills goes but damn, this is a very long term investment.In days like today I totally understand Petrie, Falling Edge and others when they complain about wasting time...

20 years training, wow, just how old are you, if you don't mind sharing that sort of info here,

EDIT: I love Franco, every time I see him I realize that guy is 5'5 just like me. Am I full of shit for thinking being small is a hindrance?? aboslutely, that guy is undeniable proof.

Brother, you're full of shit for thinking small is a hindrance. You're only improving brah. A lot of short people think they look like a dwarf when they put on muscle. Nah. I disagree.

Cooter

I'm 33. I was a go getter at a young age! I've always wanted to be strong.

Reposted for the new page:

I am pretty clueless when it comes to recompositioning of bodymass, and have up until now relied on the calories in/calories out calculations with the help of the macro/calorie calculator often linked to in here.

Should I continue my cut of 1.7k/2.3k calories (Restday/workoutday)? I weigh 175lbs, 5'11, and got a BF% of 20 with calipers/18.7 on the scale (measurements taken last sunday, when I started cutting).

My goal is to take it down to 12%, which according to the calculations made will take my approximately 22 weeks.

(Faster weightloss, 1.5g protein per lbm, equal amounts of fat and carb - http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/)

Bicep growth is still pretty slow, though I think my triceps are growing at a satisfactory speed (angle/lightning magic ahoy):

sphinx

the piano man
Bicep growth is still pretty slow, though I think my triceps are growing at a satisfactory speed (angle/lightning magic ahoy)

excluding guys that have been training for many years, most pair of arms will look rather "meh" when cold and not flexed.

Flex away!! :D and show us that :)

thomaser

I was doing squats a couple of days ago when in comes a tall guy in his 20s and a woman in her 50s. She had the biggest leg muscles I have ever seen, and massive tree-trunk thighs. She wasn't big either, she just had enormous legs. Then she went on to do sumo deadlifts up to 130 kilos, while the guy (who turned out to be her son) deadlifted 200 kilos. After that they did some muscle-ups and left. I've never seen anything like it in my fancy-only-one-squat-rack-gym. At one point, the woman said: "I have only two goals in life. To get bigger, and to get stronger". Is that the coolest mom ever or what?

Edit: She also said that she's plagued by muscle-worshippers on her facebook.

Cooter

I was doing squats a couple of days ago when in comes a tall guy in his 20s and a woman in her 50s. She had the biggest leg muscles I have ever seen, and massive tree-trunk thighs. She wasn't big either, she just had enormous legs. Then she went on to do sumo deadlifts up to 130 kilos, while the guy (who turned out to be her son) deadlifted 200 kilos. After that they did some muscle-ups and left. I've never seen anything like it in my fancy-only-one-squat-rack-gym. At one point, the woman said: "I have only two goals in life. To get bigger, and to get stronger". Is that the coolest mom ever or what?

Edit: She also said that she's plagued by muscle-worshippers on her facebook.

A 50+ year old woman was doing muscle ups? That's something I've never heard of or seen. Damn!

Mark1

Would it be wise for me to read the whole book before starting 'Starting Strength'? Should I focus on what to to know for warm ups, form of each exercise and other things?

Is this how the routine works? Quoted from Scooby's Home Workouts

Before we talk about the pros and cons, lets look at what the Starting Strength program actually is. Below is a description of the lifting portion of the Starting Strength program. If you are not familiar with the below notation of showing workout plans, a little explanation is in order. Below the workouts for three weeks are illustrated and each of the three weeks is represented by seven letters , one for each day of the week. The letter “x” represents a rest day. The letters “A” and “B” are workouts described below. So, for example, the first week of workouts shown directly below is “AxBxAxx”, which means do workout A on Monday, rest on Tuesday, do workout B on Wednesday, rest on Thursday, Do workout A on Friday, and rest on the weekend.
For first 2-3 weeks:
AxBxAxx BxAxBxx AxBxAxx
A= squat, press, deadlift
B= squat, bench press, deadlift
x= rest day

Then, for 2-3 weeks do this:
AxBxAxx BxAxBxx AxBxAxx
A= squat, press, deadlift
B= squat bench press, power clean
x= rest day

For the remainder of the 6-9 months, do this:
AxBxAxx BxAxBxx AxBxAxx
A= squat, press, deadlift or power clean
B= squat, bench press, back extensions, chinups or pullups
x= rest day
http://scoobysworkshop.com/starting-strength-by-mark-rippetoe/

thomaser

A 50+ year old woman was doing muscle ups? That's something I've never heard of or seen. Damn!

Ah, sorry, her son did, not "they". But she was still damned impressive. She did some other leg workouts after the deadlifts, all with more weight than most other people I've seen here. Seemed like she was all about legs :) I bet she could kill someone between those thighs.

Noema

. Am I full of shit for thinking being small is a hindrance?? .

If anything being shorter is a good thing. If you are short you most likely have proportionally shorter limbs, which means you have a shorter ROM in the lifts, as well as overall better levers. And shorter limbs are also easier to fill out with muscle.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Went balls deep with bb rows today after cgbp and lte, was going to do pullups after rows but that seemed pointless as I couldn't even do 30 neutral grip.

176/198/220/231/242/253 x 5-8
198 x 17/20/15/16

High rep sets were fucking brutal, switched from sandals (poison ivy/oak on ankles) to my weightlifting shoes on my final set...should have done that earlier. Recorded final set but it's fucking upside down again.

Fixed the vid pretty sloppy couldn't hit 20 on it, but it was my final set and my back was fried, this weight was a joke ~18 months ago :(

198x 16 bb row

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom